Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

HELP!!! Does anyone have any info on taking the dog to St Maarten or St Lucia? Any contact info?? I have called and written everyone and am at my wits end :confused:. If we take another cruise with this dog, John can do all this dog permit stuff, or we can just stay on the ship. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cindy

They don't respond to anyone, so don't take it personal. I've spent months trying to get somebody in St. Lucia, St. Kitts, and St. Maarten to respond. Dominica is the only one who responded - and go figure now Carnival goes and cancels that island for the cruises of the ship I'm going on! :mad: I was really looking forward to going to that port, plus the ppl in that port count on the business every week, so are going to be the ones to suffer greatly.

Anyway, here is St. Lucia's requirements if you don't already have them: http://www.stlucia.gov.lc/faq/what_are_the_requirements_to_do_to_bring_in_my_dog_cat.htm

St. Maarten I haven't found an official requirements page, but from what I have found on other sites, it looks like just the usual health certificate and rabies certificate are needed. I even faxed the Holland consulate or something and they gave me the e-mail address for St. Maarten, but nobody ever replied. These islands are annoying, LOL!

Well by some miracle I have the St Lucia permit form. I don't know how I got it but I did. Now all I need is St Maarten.

Roz, I didn't know that my vet knew any of that stuff. Sometimes you can find the requirements but then you need the permit form which is whats hard to find. I found somewhere that you need health cert and a rabies shot recieved no more than 30 days prior to our visit. So I guess he would have to get his shot a year early? I'm confused and need to give this up til tomorrow. I'm hoping Quam might know something, she knows everything!!

Cindy

These islands do only accept the one-year rabies vaccination, so if it has been more than one year since your dog was vaccinated, you'll need to do it again (or wait to go to these islands 'til the year of revaccination, if you don't want to risk overvaccination). Then you have to wait at least 30 days before the vet draws the blood to do the rabies titer testing on (which is sent to Kansas State, as they are the approved lab; be sure to tell your vet all the islands that need the results so Kansas State can send the results to those islands - but also bring the results with you!). If those results are good, then the dog is eligible to enter the country six months after the date the blood was drawn for the test. (If the results aren't adequate, you need to re-vaccinate, wait 30 days, and draw blood for another test, after which the dog can enter after six months from that blood draw date if that test is good.)

Most countries require vaccines are given no SOONER/CLOSER than 30 days prior to entering (if they don't have other requirements like the six-month wait, of course), not no more/further out than 30 days.

Roz, the requirements for St Lucia are ridiculous. It would cost us a bundle for him to get in. Here's the link http://www.malff.com/images/stories/conditions_for_imports/PetSchemeDogCatRev7-06.pdf

Besides one test has to be done 6 months before we cruise. Since we only have 4 months to go, I don't think that will work. They also want lyme disease vaccine, microchip, wormed, and who knows what else. Would have been nice to atleast get off and shop at the dock. Oh well, less paperwork for me. :D

You are correct that it is not cheap to do these requirements!! :( Especially since St. Kitts requires TWO rabies titers. At my vet's, with the IAADP discounts from Kansas State and VCA, the titers were $130 each. Plus, I had to vaccinate several months earlier than needed thanks to the six-month-wait thing, so it was an extra $60 or so for the extra vet visit (since I would've otherwise done the vaccination at her annual exam, but it was way too early to get that done).

I don't do the Lyme vaccine because of the issues it can cause (can make dogs sicker than Lyme disease would - obviously that's not good for a service dog, since they wouldn't be able to work that whole time!), but have not been able to get St. Lucia to respond to my requests for waiving that, so I'm hoping they'll let us in anyway, especially since it is for less than half a day. Also, the requirements say if the vaccine is applicable, but don't say what that means, so I could argue my case on that! ;)

Yes, microchipping is a must for a lot of int'l travel. Does your dog not have a microchip? If not, you'll definitely want to get one - and make sure it is an ISO chip, which is the worldwide standard except here in the U.S. ('cause we always have to be different :rolleyes:). Many countries require chips to be ISO or you have to buy/rent a scanner that can read your dog's chip and carry it with you (to buy such a scanner is about $200, as my dog was chipped prior to ISO chips being readily available in the U.S. so I have to look into renting or buying the scanner - my next dog will get an ISO chip for sure!). Oh - and make sure the dog gets the chip implanted BEFORE he gets vaccinated for rabies, as some countries (like the UK) require that if the dog wasn't microchipped, he has to be re-vaccinated once microchipped and that's the vaccine that counts (and the one that has to be used for rabies titers).

Thankfully, the worming stuff St. Lucia (and St. Kitts) want isn't costly from what I've seen online. Less than $20! Woohoo, at least SOMETHING is cheap!!!! LOL!

It's a risk...but, in no way was I going to do all that they required [it was obscene to put a perfectly healthy and well maintained Service Dog through such testing.] Not with all that I had already done to prepare Brenda for the cruise. And, if the worst occurred one of us would stay behind with her.

I used to think the rabies titer test was ridiculous, too, until I found out that the rabies vaccine is not actually 100% effective! I know not all vaccines are totally effective because of different strains, such as kennel cough, but I honestly thought the rabies vaccine was 100%. So, I can see why countries that are totally rabies-free would require them, especially small islands, since one rabid animal being brought to their country could be devastating.

However, the six-month wait thing is ridiculous as far as I know (and my vet thinks it is, too). And St. Kitts' requirement of TWO rabies titer tests is utterly ridiculous! And the several countries that don't accept a rabies vaccine after just one year (even if it is the three-year vaccine) are completely stupid. As it is, the three-year vaccine lasts much longer than three years - it lasts at least seven years! (The Rabies Challenge Study is going to prove this. BTW, they are currently seeking donations this month that somebody is going to match up to $10,000, so if you can, donate this month!)

The requirement of the Lyme vaccine (St. Lucia) is ridiculous, as they don't go testing every human that lands on the island for Lyme Disease! Like my friend likes to say about these regulations, "I wish they would be so picky about the humans they let onboard and on the islands!" :D:p

I follow the regulations as closely as I can that still leave my dog healthy. For instance, I will never vaccinate my dog for Lyme and a few hours on some island is definitely not worth what the vaccine could cause! My dog is flea- and tick-free from the flea/tick collar she wears year-round. If St. Lucia doesn't want to let us off the ship because of it, so be it - they'll just lose out on the money I was going to spend there for a private tour guide (with my friends) and shopping (I collect salt and pepper shakers, so need to buy at least that, if not more if I see something else for myself or as a gift for a loved one).

St. Kitts requires a six-month quarantine, which obviously somebody on a cruise ship can't do since we'll only be docked for ten hours or less. I did the two rabies titers they require (they're the only ones on the cruise that require two instead of one) and hopefully they will waive the quarantine and requirement of coming by air and such that doesn't fit a cruise passenger. Otherwise, they, too, will lose out on the money I intend to spend there.

I sure hope both St. Lucia and St. Kitts let me off, as the only other island on this cruise that required a rabies titer was Dominica, which now this cruise isn't going to (it will be a sea day instead) because of selfish Carnival. So, I don't want all the money spent on the titers to be wasted!

Blood tests must be done at "approved facility". Where's that? The health cert has to be done by a vet surgeon. And I love these microchips, you have to make sure that you have one that that particular country can read with their scanner. Didn't someone say they had to get another one implanted? I read that somewhere. It's just funny how every island is so different.

Kansas State is the approved lab. Your vet will draw the blood and send it to Kansas State (or, they will send it to the lab they use [such as Antech] who will send it on to Kansas State).

The health certificate doesn't have to be done by a surgeon. It just has to be filled out by a USDA-certified vet. Some countries also require the USDA office to endorse (stamp/seal) the health certificate, which you can do via mail or by going to the office in person (I went in person this past February and will go again in person next year, even though it is a bit of a drive to get there - mail would take too long and I only have two weeks to get all this stuff done, including getting the import permits since these countries require you have the endorsed health certificate to fax to them before they will give you the import permit, just like Grand Turk did).

ISO microchips are the worldwide standard. But, they aren't the most popular ones in the U.S., which has several different types of microchips. You can bring your own scanner that will read your non-ISO microchip to the countries that require the ISO microchip instead of getting your dog re-chipped. But, since ISO chips are now available in the U.S. (unlike when I chipped my dog), that is the kind you will want to get. Why the U.S. continues to use other kinds, who knows, just like a lot of stupid things companies here do.

Yup, every island has their own beliefs as to what will best protect their island/country. Some are dumb, LOL. ;)

Oh! And, you know what else....[before Quam comes in and balls us out].....I'm not going to microchip Brenny either. She's been tattooed [and the last time I looked, she's not a biker chick] and, doesn't need any other form of I.D., Tattoo or any other invasive procedure done to prove who she is!!!!! Whew! I'm done!

I bet when you get to that port, they'll let you off the ship with Wex.

Now, I have to go prepare myself to "duck", I feel some balling out coming!!!

I don't ball you out; I just state the facts. :)

Brenny (and any other service dogs you might get in the future) will need a microchip to go to certain countries and Hawaii. And from what I hear, Hawaii doesn't waive their requirements like some Caribbean countries do. Neither does the UK.

Microchipping is not invasive at all. It is a rice-sized chip inserted into the dog's neck with a needle - it is no different than the dog getting a vaccination! It is safe.

Tattoos aren't good IDs for many reasons, including they're not pain-free to administer and they can be tampered with to change/cover up, unlike microchips.

Think of the microchip number as your dog's passport number. Dogs can be hard to tell apart (and they are easy to disguise as other dogs with chalk/dye/paint), so just a photo doesn't cut it like with a human (and, even still, human fingerprints are used for a lot of things).

Also, if you were ever injured and your dog taken to a shelter/vet while you're taken to a hospital (or the dog runs away because she is scared and somebody later finds her), the shelter/vet will be able to look up the dog's info. (your name, addy, that she's a service dog, and any other info. you put on there such as vet's name or medications she is on) as well as you will be able to use that info. to ID your dog and prove that the dog is yours.

Edited by Quampapetet

Microchips are cut-out of dogs all the time. They are NOT full-proof - nothing is.

Shelters/law inforcement/fire depts. and emergency responders are all trained to look for tattoo's/chips and any other identifying markings on a lost dog.

When a handler is traveling with their Service Dog; by private and public transportation the dog should ALWAYS be wearing it's vest/identifying tags and anything else that will help in making sure that the dog is returned and/or identified. Most vests have zippered pockets, in the pockets should be all the information about the owner and the dog, as well as in the glove compartment.

Tattoo's are NOT easily changed at least not as easy as it is to cut out the microchip. Is it better than nothing, absolutely.

And, I agree with your friend about islands and countries being as careful about keeping out some people as they are about these wonderful service dogs.

Again, it's the "general" public and SD handler who breaks the rules who not only only make it so much more difficult to travel into the public but they also keep many folks who could use the assistance of one of these dogs from ever getting one!

Microchips are cut-out of dogs all the time. They are NOT full-proof - nothing is.

Shelters/law inforcement/fire depts. and emergency responders are all trained to look for tattoo's/chips and any other identifying markings on a lost dog.

When a handler is traveling with their Service Dog; by private and public transportation the dog should ALWAYS be wearing it's vest/identifying tags and anything else that will help in making sure that the dog is returned and/or identified. Most vests have zippered pockets, in the pockets should be all the information about the owner and the dog, as well as in the glove compartment.

Tattoo's are NOT easily changed at least not as easy as it is to cut out the microchip. Is it better than nothing, absolutely.

And, I agree with your friend about islands and countries being as careful about keeping out some people as they are about these wonderful service dogs.

Again, it's the "general" public and SD handler who breaks the rules who not only only make it so much more difficult to travel into the public but they also keep many folks who could use the assistance of one of these dogs from ever getting one!

I have no idea where you heard that microchips are cut out all the time, perhaps an Internet rumor? Chips are NOT easy to remove, even for a vet surgeon, because tissue grows around it. Most vets won't even try to remove a chip.

Tattoos can be easily changed. Horse thieves do it often. All you need to do it re-tattoo with a shape that changes the tattoo into a different combination.

Vests or harnesses, collars, and dangling tags can fall off of a lost dog. (That's why I use a slide-on-the-collar tag as my main ID tag, since dangling tags are more likely to come off than collars.) I don't put my dog in her mobility harness when we're going on a road trip, the groomer, the vet, only the pet store, the house of a friend/family member, etc.

I'm not understanding your last paragraph, especially how something is preventing ppl from getting a service dog? :confused:

I have no idea where you heard that microchips are cut out all the time, perhaps an Internet rumor? Chips are NOT easy to remove, even for a vet surgeon, because tissue grows around it. Most vets won't even try to remove a chip.

Tattoos can be easily changed. Horse thieves do it often. All you need to do it re-tattoo with a shape that changes the tattoo into a different combination.

Vests or harnesses, collars, and dangling tags can fall off of a lost dog. (That's why I use a slide-on-the-collar tag as my main ID tag, since dangling tags are more likely to come off than collars.) I don't put my dog in her mobility harness when we're going on a road trip, the groomer, the vet, only the pet store, the house of a friend/family member, etc.

I'm not understanding your last paragraph, especially how something is preventing ppl from getting a service dog? :confused:

Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, some of what you've stated is not accurate. I have seen many dogs who have had the microchip removed (I work closely with the shelter in our area.) Although scar tissue forms around the chip, the chip is implanted in the first layer of skin not the entire epidermus (as you previously stated.) Chips are good and definitely serve a purpose as does tattooing. I'm for any form of id that brings the dog back to its owner.

There are great collars out there that can hold all the information without dangling. And, some that are not easily removed!

CCI does not insist on chipping and does not do it to their pups, at least not yet. And, as far as I'm concerned they are the premier assistance dog org.

The reason people are hesitant to go for Service Animals in general is because of the huge responsibility in caring for them/in the difficulties they may face in the admission for them into the public because of some people who try to pass their pets off as Service Animals.

When I see someone in a wheel chair, I ask them whey they don't have a Service Dog, they always say that the extra work, money and embarrassment of being turned away from a restaurant because of the dog is not worth it.

You have to love this forum. Always some spirited conversation and thought provoking issues. My own dog has a micro chip, hopefully if we were every separated someone would use that to reunite us. I believe Canine Assistants microchips their dogs. I'll have to ask. I certainly haven't seen any tattoos. When I travel with a service dog in training, I rarely put their vest or harness on until we arrive at our destination. Some of my friends are still in that chewing, gnawing stage, and those harness and vests can be gnawed very quickly. So, if I was in a car accident, they would not have their ID on. I'm guessing they are chipped. Their harnesses have an ID tag and Rabies tag, but again, they don't always have them on except in public.

All I know is what CCI told us. There have been some problems with microchips traveling in the body. Thats why they tatoo their dogs. I have also read a few articles that state some dogs (and some lab animals) developed cancer at the chip site. I think it's up to the individual whether to chip or not. CCI doesn't recommend it, so we will not do it unless it is necessary.

Cindy

As long as there is something or some way that our dogs and pups can be identified, it's a good thing.

Nancy, where are you? I hope all is well with you.

We're off to Vegas until Friday. It's been swealtering here over 100 everyday so whatever heat Vegas has will be no surprise.

Stay cool and safe and have a great Labor Day everyone!

Thank you for your thoughts. Unfortunately, some of what you've stated is not accurate. I have seen many dogs who have had the microchip removed (I work closely with the shelter in our area.) Although scar tissue forms around the chip, the chip is implanted in the first layer of skin not the entire epidermus (as you previously stated.) Chips are good and definitely serve a purpose as does tattooing. I'm for any form of id that brings the dog back to its owner.

That's the first I've ever heard of actual chip removing (besides an Internet rumor). I know that testing facilities and such will not accept a chipped dog. And most vets will not remove them.

I didn't say they are implanted under the entire epidermis, but tissue does grow around the chips, which helps keep them in place.

Yup, these IDs (tattoos, chips, tags, etc.) are great if they reunite a dog and owner!

There are great collars out there that can hold all the information without dangling. And, some that are not easily removed!

There are, but most ppl don't use them. :( One time I had a dog come into the yard and all he had on was an electric fence collar - no tags. The neighborhood had had a power outage that afternoon, so he must've left his yard during that (since the fence was out so couldn't contain him - he also likely wasn't trained properly, as if the dog is trained properly, he doesn't really need the collar in order to stay in the yard). I sure hope he was able to find his way home! (Animal control doesn't come out for such things anymore.)

I use a slide-onto-the-collar tag that can only come off if the collar is removed and the tag slides off the end without the buckle.

Collars can catch on things or be removed other ways; there are lots of stories of lost dogs found without their collars.

CCI does not insist on chipping and does not do it to their pups, at least not yet. And, as far as I'm concerned they are the premier assistance dog org.

Not every service dog user travels, so not everybody needs a chip for travel. Service dogs do get lost sometimes, though.

Likely CCI doesn't want to spend the money for all those chips, so lets each owner decide whether or not to chip the dog (although this might mean an extra rabies vaccination for the dog, if the person is travelling before the dog's next vaccination due date). CCI is just one of many service dog programs out there.

The reason people are hesitant to go for Service Animals in general is because of the huge responsibility in caring for them/in the difficulties they may face in the admission for them into the public because of some people who try to pass their pets off as Service Animals.

When I see someone in a wheel chair, I ask them whey they don't have a Service Dog, they always say that the extra work, money and embarrassment of being turned away from a restaurant because of the dog is not worth it.

Service dogs aren't for everyone, just like anything else. Lots of reasons for someone to get one, lots of reasons for someone to not get one. And, yeah, for a lot of disabled ppl, money is a major issue because they are on SSI/SSDI.

All I know is what CCI told us. There have been some problems with microchips traveling in the body. Thats why they tatoo their dogs. I have also read a few articles that state some dogs (and some lab animals) developed cancer at the chip site. I think it's up to the individual whether to chip or not. CCI doesn't recommend it, so we will not do it unless it is necessary.

Cindy

Some chips have travelled down in the body because they weren't installed correctly. Normally, tissue grows around the chip to embed it in the body and keep it from travelling.

Studies have shown no correllation between the chips and cancer. I think it was like three dogs that got cancer. A lot of dogs get cancer.

They don't have the tags on their collars?

The graduates do, full service dogs placed with recepients. They have a special collor that can't choke them if it is inadvertently caught on something. The service dogs in training have a harness/and/or collor on when out on leash with a trainer or handler. These have rabies tags on, as well as identification of the orginization. The recomendation is that the dog does not have a collor on when not being supervised or when in a crate because of the risk of a choking accident.

Again, I am speaking as a volunteer, not as a representative of the orginization.

Cindy: We are moved! 1200 miles, 88 yr old mom with dementia, Jezzy Lou, Leann Emily in crates and I driving, Niece with 7 yr old grandson in U-haul truck, hubby in truck, towing U-haul trailer with all the "stuff" that didn't fit anywhere else! We are settling in well, Travis started school last week and likes it........We are slowly getting things unpacked. Jezzy Lou is a nervous wreck, has bitten two people (relatives), maybe she knows something we don't! :eek: Already had house painted, started insunlating garage, weather is wonderful............

All three of my dogs are microchipped. They don't always have their collars on but the chip is always there. As far as Orson (service dog) goes, I think the local animal shelter is going to scan for a chip alot quicker than knowing what his ear tattoo is. We graduated two years ago and CCI never said anything negative about the chips. All they said is that the dogs didn't have them and it was our choice.

On a different note, Cooler is home for a 4 night home visit. She was spayed about 10 days ago and has been healing slowly, so she is home for some TLC and modified crate rest. Outings were approved, so I took her to the hospital. One of the children spotted her shaved foreleg(IV site). I told them she had an operation too and that was where her IV was. She then showed me her IV and hugged Cooler.

Cooler's tail never stopped wagging. Cracker's always wagged slowly and gently at the hospital, Cooler's was like a helicopter. She is still wiggly when held, but she has alot of lab in her. She has let me snuggle her late at night when she is tired.

Mornin' all:

Sunshine: Yeah for you and Cooler, some special bonding time with her. I just know dogs sense when things need to be gentle. Jezzy Lou was very gentle with my mom. Not one excited scratch or growl or anything.

Hope everyone has a great hump-day. We just got a little sprinkling of rain. Might continue, which is A-Ok with me!