Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Mornin' all:

Quam: What a good pup you have. As for room service, good luck with that!

The bacon comment was funny. I went to see my mom the other day. She is in a nursing home. She keeps saving food for me to take home to Jezzy Lou. Which I politely take and then deposit in the trash, but it makes her happy. Anyway, I was in her room and I kept looking at her wheelchair, it had something brown on the bottom of the seat area. But she was talking so I just kept looking at this item trying to figure out what it was. I finally got up and went over to find a piece of bacon lodged between the seat and arm rest. I was able to retrieve it without her seeing it and deposit it in the trash!

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

How funny is that - both the stuff that Mom is trying to give you for Jezzy then the bacon hanging out on her seat! So funny! You must have been laughing inside. I guess it could have been worse!:eek:

It seems this meclazine is mostly for vomiting. My son doesn't have that problem. He seems to get some funny feeling without the throwing up. Does it help for that too??

I noticed yesterday on the HAL site that they were not charging for the 3rd person in the room. So I called up and they took off the $200 that they charged for my son! WooooHooooo Even though it's only $200, we were thrilled. Thats less we have to pay. I check everyday to see if the price has gone down. We had already gotten $600 off when some fluke thing happened on the website. John checked one day and it had gone down. Since then the price went back up to the original price and has stayed there. Flight price has never changed so we booked it. We didn't want to wait and maybe not get the flight we wanted.

Quam, Did you find out any info on St. Maarten?? I have written and called everyone and have now given up. I did find some info that said all we need was health certificate and recent rabies shot. So when Wex goes to the vet next week we will ask about getting a rabies even though he really doesn't need on til next year. Hopefully they will let us off the ship with that. If we need some kind of permit, we are just out of luck. I think it's pretty crappy that these places do not write back or return calls.

Cindy

The Meclazine works on my dizziness and nausea. I'm supposed to keep it on me all the time. It's kind of like an insurance policy for me now. Since I've had it around, I haven't had those symptoms. Better be quiet!!!!!!

It seems this meclazine is mostly for vomiting. My son doesn't have that problem. He seems to get some funny feeling without the throwing up. Does it help for that too??

I noticed yesterday on the HAL site that they were not charging for the 3rd person in the room. So I called up and they took off the $200 that they charged for my son! WooooHooooo Even though it's only $200, we were thrilled. Thats less we have to pay. I check everyday to see if the price has gone down. We had already gotten $600 off when some fluke thing happened on the website. John checked one day and it had gone down. Since then the price went back up to the original price and has stayed there. Flight price has never changed so we booked it. We didn't want to wait and maybe not get the flight we wanted.

Quam, Did you find out any info on St. Maarten?? I have written and called everyone and have now given up. I did find some info that said all we need was health certificate and recent rabies shot. So when Wex goes to the vet next week we will ask about getting a rabies even though he really doesn't need on til next year. Hopefully they will let us off the ship with that. If we need some kind of permit, we are just out of luck. I think it's pretty crappy that these places do not write back or return calls.

Cindy

Yeah! That's great! You're a smart shopper! With all the cruising that we've done, I've yet to get any money back....although, we did get a two-for-one to Alaska, last year!

Princess Access Dept. [Allison Muff] contacted me, on Wednesday and told me that I had to have a more current Vet Exam. [brenda's Exam. including all her immunizations and the Certification for Interstate Travel Form, were done in April and signed by the Vet.] I told her that Brenda's Rabies Vaccine and Vet Check were done per the Vets suggested time. She's kept on Heartguard [as the Vet stated on the form, and Advantix]. Not to mention the glucosamine and salmon oil that she takes daily, along with her food.

I told her that I was not going to need another Vet exam until next April. I informed her that Brenda is professionally groomed before we cruise and she's brushed and checked for ear/eye/teeth and coat problems DAILY!

I reminded her that Brenda is 10.5 years old. She's considered a "Senior Service Dog" and, although her work ethic has not diminished in any way, she could be compromised by a sick animal in the Vets office. Unless it is absolutely necessary, I keep her away from there!!!!! As suggested by her Vet. I go by his standards not by Princess's requests. [My Vet has supplied a letter stating this, just in case.]

Allison faxed me the form that released Princess from any and all responsibilty for Brenda or anything that she may do to the ship and to other guests onboard [it's standard and is required by everyone who travels with an SD onboard a Princess ship.]

I faxed back the letter of why Brenda is needed along with the release form. This is Brenda's 14th cruise, she knows what is expected; behaves in a professional manner at all times and we look forward to her cruising again in 2011, since we already have one booked for Sept. 24, 2011.

She wrote me back, via email, and thanked me for all the information, not mentioning the request for another Vet exam., again. We don't leave until November 27th. We'll see what happens around the beginning of Nov., or earlier. We'll see if she makes any more demands.

You know, I totally get the need for the cruiseships to be careful and to make sure that EVERYTHING be current and proper. It's not always their requests but the requests of foreign ports and Immigration officials who will not let ships dock unless all "t's" are crossed. Sometimes, they will hold all passengers onboard and not allow them to disembark because somethings not right with someone's Passport [let alone a dog is onboard with improper documentation.] So, I know how important it is to meet all their requirements. But, that said, I also know what is overkill and not necessary.

I'm very sure that we'll have NO PROBLEM with them, once they see all our paperwork and observe Brenda. With the Vets letter and the proof of Brenda's health and vaccines, all will be good.

I know that it's not necessary [as Quam will tell you] but, I can't tell you how much easier it is when you have and can show the Certification Card that CCI gives us [showing that the dog has been professionally trained, with and expiration date]; the city License paperwork and all the paperwork from the Vet [including the receipt for the Vet exam, which shows all that was done.] The more you have to prove who the two of you are, the better. They look at all of it; they look at Brenda [sitting or laying on command and not moving] and, they give me a smile and literally walk beside us or motion us down the ramp. I'm proud of the way that she behaves & looks and how she responds to my commands.

Again, I'm sorry for being so wordy but I wanted you all to know what you may expect from your next cruise with your SD.

I'll let you know how it goes for us.

Mornin' all:

Quam: What a good pup you have. As for room service, good luck with that!

Yeah, one can only dream!! ;)

The bacon comment was funny. I went to see my mom the other day. She is in a nursing home. She keeps saving food for me to take home to Jezzy Lou. Which I politely take and then deposit in the trash, but it makes her happy. Anyway, I was in her room and I kept looking at her wheelchair, it had something brown on the bottom of the seat area. But she was talking so I just kept looking at this item trying to figure out what it was. I finally got up and went over to find a piece of bacon lodged between the seat and arm rest. I was able to retrieve it without her seeing it and deposit it in the trash!

Hope everyone has a great Friday.

Haha, I thought you were gonna say the dog you were visiting with got up there and pooped on the wheelchair!!! :p I'm glad it was only bacon!

Yup, it helps with motion sickness, which has various symptoms including what your son has. Just make sure he takes it every day beginning a day or two before the cruise so that it can work!

If he does get sick, things that help are fresh air (getting outside), eating a green apple, ginger (you'll have to bring this with you), or MotionEase (an herbal liquid you dab on behind your earlobes to prevent and cure motion sickness - it works and is safe for dogs, too, but it does have a strong herbal scent to it; you can order this online or find it at some stores like Boating World).

That's AWESOME that you're saving $800 on your cruise!!!!! Lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool: I had a few small price drops for a total so far of $100 savings on my cruise (which I booked Early Saver, which is about $300 less than the regular price). I'm happy about saving $100, especially with the vet costs and all, but do hope it drops more, of course!

Cindy

Nope, never heard back from them (or any of the other islands - Dominica was the only one I ever heard back from, and Carnival has since cancelled that port so that stinks!). Yeah, that's what I found, was the health certificate and rabies certificate. Yeah, you'll need the vaccine to be less than one year old, as most of these Southern Caribbean islands only take the rabies vaccine if it is less than twelve months after being given. My dog was due last month for hers, but because of St. Lucia's six-month wait after the rabies titer, I had to vaccinate her four or so months early. I'm just glad it wasn't a year or two early - then I think I wouldn't have gone on the cruise, 'cause a vacation isn't worth overvaccinating, which can injure the dog or cause the dog to have a shorter life.

:D about the bacon!!! Okay, I promise I'll stop :D

So glad you'll stop! :D You might get hit on by guys less, too, like that TV ad where the lady has the bacon cheeseburger in her purse. :p

Too late now to gather info, but if it happens again (heaven forbid), I'll do that. I'm confident this was a service dog, NOT a pet masquerading as a service dog. And you are probably correct -- that the training wasn't being kept up.

Thanks for the reply, the info, AND the good "bacon" laugh

Yeah, some ppl just aren't taught enough how to keep up the dog's training and/or why they need to. The person I know who I previously mentioned whose dog acted up in front of my friend, well, I haven't talked to the guy in a while (due to some bad choices he made in his personal life), but last I heard from him, he wasn't really using the dog as a service dog anymore, so would sometimes leave him home and other times bring him out but he wouldn't really do anything and the guy would allow everybody to pet him and stuff. Sad! :(

I've heard about somebody with a guide dog who had been seen physically abusing the dog in public - sooooo sad!!!! :mad: I'm not sure if the program the dog was from did anything once the incident(s) was/were reported to them, but I sure hope they did!!

Yeah! That's great! You're a smart shopper! With all the cruising that we've done, I've yet to get any money back....although, we did get a two-for-one to Alaska, last year!

Guess I shouldn't tell you, then, that my friend and two gals in her group got upgraded at the last minute (a few days before the cruise) from their inside cabins to a grand suite for the three of them on Princess (Alaskan cruise)! ;) Some guys in the group also were upgraded into another grand suite on the ship. Boy, the day my friend told me that was the day I wished I was signed up for the cruise, LOL!! They got so many nice amenities for free, including Internet and mini-bar and other stuff! I have no desire to go on a cruise to Alaska, but I wouldn't mind a grand suite!

Princess Access Dept. [Allison Muff] contacted me, on Wednesday and told me that I had to have a more current Vet Exam. [brenda's Exam. including all her immunizations and the Certification for Interstate Travel Form, were done in April and signed by the Vet.] I told her that Brenda's Rabies Vaccine and Vet Check were done per the Vets suggested time. She's kept on Heartguard [as the Vet stated on the form, and Advantix]. Not to mention the glucosamine and salmon oil that she takes daily, along with her food.

I told her that I was not going to need another Vet exam until next April. I informed her that Brenda is professionally groomed before we cruise and she's brushed and checked for ear/eye/teeth and coat problems DAILY!

She likely just means you need a newer health certificate as per the requirements of the countries you're going to.

I reminded her that Brenda is 10.5 years old. She's considered a "Senior Service Dog" and, although her work ethic has not diminished in any way, she could be compromised by a sick animal in the Vets office. Unless it is absolutely necessary, I keep her away from there!!!!! As suggested by her Vet. I go by his standards not by Princess's requests. [My Vet has supplied a letter stating this, just in case.]

A senior dog actually needs check-ups every six months, not every twelve months like a younger dog needs. And I'm sure your vet clinic doesn't allow sick animals to stay in the waiting room with healthy animals, plus thoroughly cleans the exam rooms and tables after each visit, so there's little chance of your dog getting sick during a regular exam.

The countries don't care what your vet's standards are; they only care what their country's regulations are.

Allison faxed me the form that released Princess from any and all responsibilty for Brenda or anything that she may do to the ship and to other guests onboard [it's standard and is required by everyone who travels with an SD onboard a Princess ship.]

I faxed back the letter of why Brenda is needed along with the release form. This is Brenda's 14th cruise, she knows what is expected; behaves in a professional manner at all times and we look forward to her cruising again in 2011, since we already have one booked for Sept. 24, 2011.

You did NOT need to send that release form back. Your cruise is after the new regulations go into effect (Nov. 2) and those regulations include that a cruiseline cannot make you sign such paperwork. Princess should know this, as I'm sure somebody there keeps up with all the regulations. You might want to remind them that they can't be sending that out anymore.

She wrote me back, via email, and thanked me for all the information, not mentioning the request for another Vet exam., again. We don't leave until November 27th. We'll see what happens around the beginning of Nov., or earlier. We'll see if she makes any more demands.

You know, I totally get the need for the cruiseships to be careful and to make sure that EVERYTHING be current and proper. It's not always their requests but the requests of foreign ports and Immigration officials who will not let ships dock unless all "t's" are crossed. Sometimes, they will hold all passengers onboard and not allow them to disembark because somethings not right with someone's Passport [let alone a dog is onboard with improper documentation.] So, I know how important it is to meet all their requirements. But, that said, I also know what is overkill and not necessary.

I'm very sure that we'll have NO PROBLEM with them, once they see all our paperwork and observe Brenda. With the Vets letter and the proof of Brenda's health and vaccines, all will be good.

I'm sure Princess wants to make sure they are taking every step to ensure that if you get denied access to a country, you can't blame it on Princess because they forwarned you. Under the new regulations (again, beginning Nov. 2), the cruiselines have to tell you the dog import regulations for each country your cruise goes to.

Following the laws (both in the States and in other countries) is never overkill.

I know that it's not necessary [as Quam will tell you] but, I can't tell you how much easier it is when you have and can show the Certification Card that CCI gives us [showing that the dog has been professionally trained, with and expiration date]; the city License paperwork and all the paperwork from the Vet [including the receipt for the Vet exam, which shows all that was done.] The more you have to prove who the two of you are, the better. They look at all of it; they look at Brenda [sitting or laying on command and not moving] and, they give me a smile and literally walk beside us or motion us down the ramp. I'm proud of the way that she behaves & looks and how she responds to my commands.

Again, I'm sorry for being so wordy but I wanted you all to know what you may expect from your next cruise with your SD.

I'll let you know how it goes for us.

I don't know who you mean is looking at your paperwork in front of you before you get off the ramp, but all the paperwork is looked at by customs before they clear the ship (which is why you have to give the paperwork to the ship, which they usually only keep the copies of). If someone on the ship or dock is looking at your paperwork, I think they're just humoring you or trying to make themselves look official 'cause you don't need that paperwork to get off the ship once you've been cleared. I've never had them ask to come down to customs to look at the dog when they're clearing the paperwork; they just look at it and clear the ship (if all the other passengers also clear), then we get off whenever and just walk off the ship like everybody else.

Maybe cruiselines haven't had a problem with ppl trying to bring pets onboard passed as service dogs yet, but they should ask every service dog owner the two questions that businesses are allowed to ask: Is this a service dog required because of your disability? What tasks/work has it been trained to do that are directly related to your disability?

Cruise ships absolutely have the right to ask us to sign a form holding them "harmless" for any damage our dog may do or for any harm that may come to another passenger because of our dog. This form is legal for them to require now and for the future. There is nothing unjust or unfair about them asking for this. It also does not go against any laws that the DOJ may come down with. I'm glad they ask for this. It keeps the honest folks honest!

Please do not hesitate to sign and return this form back to Princess Access department. Advising against signing it is foolhearty. If they discontinue requesting it in the future, fine. I take full responsiblity for Brenda.

We're all the Service Dog folks who are proud to show off our dogs and have nothing to hide.

The Immigration official in Brazil wanted to meet Brenda and myself at the Purser's desk at 6:00am [before anyone could disembark.] We also had this request upon cruising in Barbados. And, everyone had to wait leaving the Diamond Princess in 2005, because an Immigration Official wanted to check Brenda's paws [so weird!]

You never know what any given country will ask for. I say "ask away", I'm always ready for any good questions and requests.

Lucky for us, Wex's shots are due in October so it's always gonna be right before the cruise. Wex isn't due for his rabies til next October, but we are going to see what the vet says. Maybe we will have to do a yearly shot instead of the 3yr one so we can go to some of these islands.

Roz you have cruised on Princess alot right? Then why are they asking you for more stuff? Why isn't her April exam enough? Sometimes I wonder if they have any info on us.:confused: We have been on HAL 6 or 7 times, how many times do we have to fill out the SRI form? Just keep it in our file and just ask us if there's any changes. There is always alot of talk about able bodied people getting HP rooms, I don't see how. We have to fill out forms everytime. Unless they fill it out and lie :eek:

And you got off the ship in Barbados with the dog?? They don't allow any dogs anymore unless it comes from the UK.

I'm not sure how many places we will be able to get off, but with the 3 of us going now, one can stay with Wex and the other 2 can get off.

Cindy

Lucky for us, Wex's shots are due in October so it's always gonna be right before the cruise. Wex isn't due for his rabies til next October, but we are going to see what the vet says. Maybe we will have to do a yearly shot instead of the 3yr one so we can go to some of these islands.

Roz you have cruised on Princess alot right? Then why are they asking you for more stuff? Why isn't her April exam enough? Sometimes I wonder if they have any info on us.:confused: We have been on HAL 6 or 7 times, how many times do we have to fill out the SRI form? Just keep it in our file and just ask us if there's any changes. There is always alot of talk about able bodied people getting HP rooms, I don't see how. We have to fill out forms everytime. Unless they fill it out and lie :eek:

And you got off the ship in Barbados with the dog?? They don't allow any dogs anymore unless it comes from the UK.

I'm not sure how many places we will be able to get off, but with the 3 of us going now, one can stay with Wex and the other 2 can get off.

Cindy

We'll be Elite with Princess on our next cruise. The crew onboard know us, as does the port authorities and registration folks. They come over to kiss us hello, and say "welcome back, good to see you again!" The TSA folks even recognize us and just "wave" us past everyone! You bet they know who we are. I agree with "why doesn't Princess just keep our information on file?" Not only is it inconvenient but it's also a bit insulting everytime they ask for more and more documentation. I know that vaccines expire and a Vet check is necessary but for "frequent cruisers" they should use better business policies.

The people in Princess Access are the same, why keep asking for the same stuff over and over? Not smart business on their part.

Yes, we did go to Barbados, Martinique, St. Thomas, Bermuda and other Caribbean Islands. The Immigration officer in Barbados met us at the Purser's Desk to check Brenda and in St. Thomas escorted us off the ship. In Bermuda an official wanted to check Brenda's paws before we exited and boarded the ship. They did the same thing when we were in Mazatlan on an MR cruise. It depends on the agent, as to what their demands will be.

I know there has been a change in Service Dog access to some of these islands since we cruised them. We aren't going back to the Caribbean anytime soon. Maybe by the time we do, the laws will change again.

We still like Princess's product best. And, are now making our cruising experience more about the ship and less about the islands. Morey's health has dictated this. And, if I want him to cruise with me, I have to concede to this.

We did the Carnival Splendor in January, it was a different experience and we had a great time. In November, we'll be on the

Sapphire Princess [she's one of our favorite ships] and, Morey's now looking forward to it. He's talking about Princess pizza and their Afternoon Tea's [you think he's a foodie?] Yeh!!!!! :)

Also, I know that cruiseship crews work on "contracts" for several months at a time......but, we've cruised so often on Princess and for so many years we've been lucky to see the same people over and over again. They're almost like family.

Onboard the Golden, the Captain loved Brenda so much he took her on stage with him when he was introducing himself to the other passengers.

It always feels good to be treated like a familiar face.

Mornin' All:

Cindy: I think the same thing all the time. How do the liars and cheaters always get what they want right away? I am dealing with such crap with my mom, I want to scream. When I took her from California she had already paid for her month at the home, we left on the 19th. Now here in Colorado, they couldn't get her medicaid authorized until the 2nd of September. So they want me to pay full price for 7 days, when she went in at 9:00pm on the 23rd. California says no refund and that Colorado knows they have to accept that they got the money. Colorado says, California doesn't know what they are talking about. I just got the new bill and I am going to contact the local Ombudsman. This is ridiculous. She doesn't have the money, so are they going to kick her to the curb? I know this has nothing to do with service dogs or cruising, but it started out with the able bodies reserving hc rooms and getting them.......... I babble on.

Everyone have a wonderful Sunday. Our weather has been gorgeous.

We'll be Elite with Princess on our next cruise. The crew onboard know us, as does the port authorities and registration folks. They come over to kiss us hello, and say "welcome back, good to see you again!" The TSA folks even recognize us and just "wave" us past everyone! You bet they know who we are. I agree with "why doesn't Princess just keep our information on file?" Not only is it inconvenient but it's also a bit insulting everytime they ask for more and more documentation. I know that vaccines expire and a Vet check is necessary but for "frequent cruisers" they should use better business policies.

The people in Princess Access are the same, why keep asking for the same stuff over and over? Not smart business on their part.

Yes, we did go to Barbados, Martinique, St. Thomas, Bermuda and other Caribbean Islands. The Immigration officer in Barbados met us at the Purser's Desk to check Brenda and in St. Thomas escorted us off the ship. In Bermuda an official wanted to check Brenda's paws before we exited and boarded the ship. They did the same thing when we were in Mazatlan on an MR cruise. It depends on the agent, as to what their demands will be.

I know there has been a change in Service Dog access to some of these islands since we cruised them. We aren't going back to the Caribbean anytime soon. Maybe by the time we do, the laws will change again.

We still like Princess's product best. And, are now making our cruising experience more about the ship and less about the islands. Morey's health has dictated this. And, if I want him to cruise with me, I have to concede to this.

We did the Carnival Splendor in January, it was a different experience and we had a great time. In November, we'll be on the

Sapphire Princess [she's one of our favorite ships] and, Morey's now looking forward to it. He's talking about Princess pizza and their Afternoon Tea's [you think he's a foodie?] Yeh!!!!! :)

Love Princess Pizza too!! What makes it different???? That is our embarkation lunch everytime. We always cruise thru the buffett and end up on deck with a slice of pizza and a bucket of beer!

Oh Nancy what a mess you have going on there. These insurance companies are just riduclous! I just don't understand how medicare which is nationwide can have a problem just because the person moved. I wish you the best of luck with that. I'm sure it will get straightened out, but not without alot of hassle for you. :mad:

Cindy

Afternoon all:

Good news first. Remember Cari and Denver that use to hang out here with us? Well, on facebook she has said that her and Denver are going to train a guide dog. She is so excited. He is a yellow lab and she said he is a moose! She will be getting him sometime next week.

Now, I talked with the Ombudsman rep. She had no idea what to do. She said I could offer to pay them $10.00 per month or ignore it and let them sue mom! :eek: Well, when her medicaid kicks in, they will take all her money except $50.00 per month for incidentals. I am so fed up with all this paperwork.............I need a cruise!

Afternoon all:

Good news first. Remember Cari and Denver that use to hang out here with us? Well, on facebook she has said that her and Denver are going to train a guide dog. She is so excited. He is a yellow lab and she said he is a moose! She will be getting him sometime next week.

Now, I talked with the Ombudsman rep. She had no idea what to do. She said I could offer to pay them $10.00 per month or ignore it and let them sue mom! :eek: Well, when her medicaid kicks in, they will take all her money except $50.00 per month for incidentals. I am so fed up with all this paperwork.............I need a cruise!

Nancy: First, be lucky that you got out of town.......it's been so hot here and where you used to live, it's over 105. They think it will set a new record!

I'm so sorry that Cari doesn't come back to this thread, I miss her. She's a great gal. She's an amazing trainer and to watch her with Denver is pure "magic!"

I'm not much for "facebook", this is my only social networking internet source and, with my busy life, it's enough. So, Cari if you're reading this......please come in a talk once in a while.

Good luck with your mom and her Medicaid - Our federal agencies are only going to get worse, with all the cut-backs that are being enforced, as if they weren't poorly managed before, now, it's only going to get worse.

As we age, we have to be so careful. Unless we have good private insurance, depending on our Government to intervene with help doesn't look so good!

Afternoon all:

I'm on facebook all the time and would love to connect with Nancy and Cari and Denver. You can find me: Karen Mays Atlanta Ga

Mornin' all:

Roz: I hear ya about time consuming. I dabble at facebook, do alot of reading some posting.

Karen: I will go to FB and send you a friend request. Then you can find Cari on mine.

I will go and send Cari a message to come visit here.

Everyone have a terrific tuesday.

Nancy, thank you. Please tell her we miss her and would love the hear the new about her "furworkers" too!

That is the "we" who don't go to FB.

Karen: I need help. When I do a search on FB, 116 Karen Mays show up. If I add Atlanta GA nothing comes up. What does you Avatar look like. Some that I click on won't tell me profile info, like where you are from etc. I will go back over and try and find you in the mean time.

Try looking me up by email ramays@charter.net

I change my profile picture frequently. Currently I have myself and husband (on a cruise ship). Quite often I have a dog: Usually Sandy or Cooler.