Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Excellent to know -- I'll check with my vet's office to ensure that the health certificate they give us is the official intl. one mentioned on all the sites. Good discussion and very relevate to our next Princess cruise in June.

Peter, if you hear anything other than what I was told would you be so kind as to let us all know.

Thank you so much,

Roz

I have a question, I have a service dog for PTSD his name is Casey. We get a lot of 2nd looks cousse he is a 7lb Chihuahua. has anyone been told that they were not allowed on the cruise becouse of the bred of the dog? Im having a bit of trouble with Carnival.

I have a question, I have a service dog for PTSD his name is Casey. We get a lot of 2nd looks cousse he is a 7lb Chihuahua. has anyone been told that they were not allowed on the cruise becouse of the bred of the dog? Im having a bit of trouble with Carnival.

Hi! Welcome!

It's a mitigation issue between the DOJ and the ADA. The public access law's state that the Service/Working Dog must mitigate a problem that you are having such as helping you to walk/hear/see/pick up things for you/open doors/push elevator buttons, etc., etc., etc. And, the dog can be as big as a Great Dane or as small as a Chihuahua. Size does NOT matter!

Casey is considered an "Emotional Support" dog and they do NOT have Public Access.

Unless the laws have changed, that I'm not aware of, the above holds true for you and is the reason that you are going to get some flack in taking Casey on a cruise ship.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cooler is home, and enjoying hanging out with us. We've been working on laundry detail. She likes pulling wet clothes out of the washing machine better than the dry clothes from the dryer. and yes, the clothes in the dryer are warm, but not HOT! She really likes taking them out of the washing machine and dropping them in the hallway, but we are working on that. Tomorw, early morning inservice education at the hospital ( I mean early as in 6am!) Yikes, we will be getting up at 5am for sure. Then off to check on Rich's mom who has not been doing so well recently. Keep everyone posted....

Cooler is home, and enjoying hanging out with us. We've been working on laundry detail. She likes pulling wet clothes out of the washing machine better than the dry clothes from the dryer. and yes, the clothes in the dryer are warm, but not HOT! She really likes taking them out of the washing machine and dropping them in the hallway, but we are working on that. Tomorw, early morning inservice education at the hospital ( I mean early as in 6am!) Yikes, we will be getting up at 5am for sure. Then off to check on Rich's mom who has not been doing so well recently. Keep everyone posted....

Let's see "wet laundry" in the hallway.....no way! You do have the patience of a saint.

I'm sorry about Rich's mom.......my prayers are with her and you and Rich.

How can I find the newsletter?

In the internet go to the CCI Website, in the "search" area put in socal champions. And you will see a list of pdf files click on the pdf that says: CCI SoCalChampNews March 2011 and, it will come up. Brenda's story and picture are on Page 4.

This is Part I of my Journey for a Successor Dog. As you know, getting a Working/Service Dog is truly a "journey" and a "process" and going through it is not easy [at least not for me], I wanted to share it with so many folks who have done it before and will be doing it in the future.

Apparantly, no one's really "touched" on all the emotions and the "journey." It's really very cathartic for me to write about it.

I hope it can help others who are like minded and, may even shed some light for the volunteers who work so hard for CCI and our wonderful dogs. They may get some insight into the people that they're helping through all their efforts.

In the internet go to the CCI Website, in the "search" area put in socal champions. And you will see a list of pdf files click on the pdf that says: CCI SoCalChampNews March 2011 and, it will come up. Brenda's story and picture are on Page 4.

This is Part I of my Journey for a Successor Dog. As you know, getting a Working/Service Dog is truly a "journey" and a "process" and going through it is not easy [at least not for me], I wanted to share it with so many folks who have done it before and will be doing it in the future.

Apparantly, no one's really "touched" on all the emotions and the "journey." It's really very cathartic for me to write about it.

I hope it can help others who are like minded and, may even shed some light for the volunteers who work so hard for CCI and our wonderful dogs. They may get some insight into the people that they're helping through all their efforts.

Thanks Roz,

Great story so far. And I already know it will have a happy ending. It just goes to show, you learn something new every day. I never knew Brenda was a hearing dog.

If you guys have a chance to see the Canine Companions for Independence Southern California Champions "Speak" Newsletter, Brenda and I have an article in it.

Roz, Of course a wonderful article. Brenny with her gray muzzle reminds me of Bailee. The only question I have is why are we always crying in here? I guess for some of us it's therapeutic. It amazes me how much these animals touch our lives.

Thanks Roz,

Great story so far. And I already know it will have a happy ending. It just goes to show, you learn something new every day. I never knew Brenda was a hearing dog.

No one ever asked! As it should be! The unwritten respect that ALL of you show towards each other, in not "digging" into each other's lives and being sensitive to each other always amazes and delights me!

No one ever asked! As it should be! The unwritten respect that ALL of you show towards each other, in not "digging" into each other's lives and being sensitive to each other always amazes and delights me!

Now wouldn't it be great if the general public was like that too!

Roz, Of course a wonderful article. Brenny with her gray muzzle reminds me of Bailee. The only question I have is why are we always crying in here? I guess for some of us it's therapeutic. It amazes me how much these animals touch our lives.

Thank you, Cindy. I think it's the dog thing. People who just love dogs in general, without having a Working/Service Dog in the mix, are usually pretty wonderful folks. Now, put OUR type of dogs into the equation, along with CCI and you open-up the flood gates for tears.

Geezzz! I can't even look at Brenny sometimes without tearing-up.....she's so cute!!!!!!

Roz, Are you asking for another lab? Perhaps a yellow?? Or doesn't it matter?

During the phone interview I was asked what I was looking for in another dog and I responded, "a dog who travels well!" And, "it wouldn't hurt if it were tall!" If I had a dog that got car or sea sick it would be horrible for me. Since I love to cruise and take land vacations, so should my dog. Brenda is the most wonderful traveler, she loves it as much as I do.

I'm wide open for color and, although I'd love another pure Lab, if they had a mix and they thought that it would fit my personality I'm open. I always thought I loved the Yellow Lab best of all.....Brenny changed my mind on that too!!!

I'm not sure how'd I feel if the dog looked just like Brenny. I'd probably cry all the time because there will NEVER and I mean NEVER be another dog like this girl. I've had dogs my whole life and I've never known a dog like her. ;) She's one of a kind!

During the phone interview I was asked what I was looking for in another dog and I responded, "a dog who travels well!" And, "it wouldn't hurt if it were tall!" If I had a dog that got car or sea sick it would be horrible for me. Since I love to cruise and take land vacations, so should my dog. Brenda is the most wonderful traveler, she loves it as much as I do.

I'm wide open for color and, although I'd love another pure Lab, if they had a mix and they thought that it would fit my personality I'm open. I always thought I loved the Yellow Lab best of all.....Brenny changed my mind on that too!!!

I'm not sure how'd I feel if the dog looked just like Brenny. I'd probably cry all the time because there will NEVER and I mean NEVER be another dog like this girl. I've had dogs my whole life and I've never known a dog like her. ;) She's one of a kind!

The only problem with getting a yellow dog is the fact that you will have to reverse your wardrobe. :D Get rid of all the dark clothes and get light colored clothes. :eek:

The only problem with getting a yellow dog is the fact that you will have to reverse your wardrobe. :D Get rid of all the dark clothes and get light colored clothes. :eek:

I've been warned about that.

When I graduated with Brenda and I was so disappointed at getting a black dog....I guess the trainer saw my disappointment and, she commented, "I noticed that you always wear black pants, trust me, you'll be happy you got a black dog!" Didn't take me long to understand what she meant. :)

Yes! Me too! Most importantly, I would check with the cruiselines Special Needs or Access Department.

Something I will always say about travel with a Service/Working Dog....ALWAYS have your "ducks [or dogs] in a row!"

There have been instances when folks have been denied access to their cruise because they forgot their Passport or proper I.D.

The Intl. Cert. is your dogs I.D. At least that's what I've known.

I called my Vet's office and Princess Cruiselines. They told me that the Certificate IS REQUIRED for transporting my Service Dog into and out of a foreign country and Canada is a foreign country.

I don't know who MasterLee spoke with but, please, be careful about having the proper documentation.

Call your cruiseline to be sure.

It is big time confusion. I called NCL and was told all I need is rabies certificate. Than I sent them a email asking the same question, the reply was I would need a USDA certificte. So, just to be on the safe side, I go to get a USDA certificate. Thanks everyone for your input.

It is big time confusion. I called NCL and was told all I need is rabies certificate. Than I sent them a email asking the same question, the reply was I would need a USDA certificte. So, just to be on the safe side, I go to get a USDA certificate. Thanks everyone for your input.

MasterLee: There is something to be said about the "seasoned traveler".....not that I like to call myself "seasoned" but, it's a case of "been-there-done-that!"

I promise to not, knowingly, steer anybody wrong when it comes to traveling with your dog.

You'll be so relieved when you have all your paperwork and an overzealous Immigration Officer asks for "everything" - you will save yourself so much time and possible heartache.

Have a wonderful cruise....after you've done your 14th, it really does get so easy [you can do it in your sleep!] ;)

Great article Roz, of course we all know what a journey you have had and what an advocate you have been for service dogs, but now more know. I am not really surprized to hear that Brenny is a hearing alert dog...such a smart girl with such a fabulous family. I can only imagine the life of Brenny and PaPa...TROUBLE is what I think.... I worked with a few dogs who were being trained for hearing response...it takes such a special dog. One dog ended up in general service and the other....more general service and balance, but here hearing training has already made a huge difference in her recepeints life. And for me, I actually learned some American Sign Language as I had to use it for basic commands

Thanks for sharing,and I am still working on that California Coastal cruise.....

Great article Roz, of course we all know what a journey you have had and what an advocate you have been for service dogs, but now more know. I am not really surprized to hear that Brenny is a hearing alert dog...such a smart girl with such a fabulous family. I can only imagine the life of Brenny and PaPa...TROUBLE is what I think.... I worked with a few dogs who were being trained for hearing response...it takes such a special dog. One dog ended up in general service and the other....more general service and balance, but here hearing training has already made a huge difference in her recepeints life. And for me, I actually learned some American Sign Language as I had to use it for basic commands

Thanks for sharing,and I am still working on that California Coastal cruise.....

Thanks so much for your, as usual, very welcomed response. I never really knew much about Hearing Dogs and just how much concentration and inner strength it takes for a dog to become one.

When I first met Brenda she was all over the map, so to say. She was "alerting" me to EVERYTHING! Until the two of us got "fine-tuned" to each other, I swear I had black & blue marks all over the front and back of my legs. She's a very aggressive "bopper!" :D In the beginning she would use her muzzle to poke at my legs to let me know about different sounds in my environment. Now, she's more subtle. She only "pokes" me to certain sounds and to my name being called. I use sign language to ask her where and what. Brilliantly amazing to watch!!!!! :)

I don't want to mislead anyone who has followed along on this thread about who I am. I am totally deaf on my left side and only have 37% hearing on my right. I have acute/ongoing tinnitus which confuses the heck out of the only hearing I do have. I still have my voice, which can be a bit loud at times or too soft. Family and friends always let me know when I'm shouting at them!!!!! :p Or, Brenda will come over and lay down beside me......the "que" for "watch your voice!"

Before I got Brenda I would spin in circles, literally, before I finally figured out where the sound was coming from. Now, I just give Brenda the "what" ASL sign and she "stares" at the sound, until I acknowledge her and give her the "release" command. She used to "alert" me to airplanes flying overhead for the first few months that I had her. We both finally figured out that that wasn't such an important sound to me.

She's so amazingly "tuned-in" to me now and knows EXACTLY what is and is not important to me.

She watches my head movement and my eyes. If I stare at her she knows I'm confused and I need her help or I'll snap my fingers. She'll come right over to me it's really my job to watch her.

She's given me the fortitude, inspiration, willingness and most importantly the courage and independence to get out and face the day; talk to people, make new friends; take chances and live my very best life!

All of the above courtesy of a Black Lab named "Brenda!"

I don't want to mislead anyone who has followed along on this thread about who I am. I am totally deaf on my left side and only have 37% hearing on my right. I have acute/ongoing tinnitus which confuses the heck out of the only hearing I do have. I still have my voice, which can be a bit loud at times or too soft. Family and friends always let me know when I'm shouting at them!!!!! :p Or, Brenda will come over and lay down beside me......the "que" for "watch your voice!"

Before I got Brenda I would spin in circles, literally, before I finally figured out where the sound was coming from. Now, I just give Brenda the "what" ASL sign and she "stares" at the sound, until I acknowledge her and give her the "release" command. She used to "alert" me to airplanes flying overhead for the first few months that I had her. We both finally figured out that that wasn't such an important sound to me.

She's so amazingly "tuned-in" to me now and knows EXACTLY what is and is not important to me.

She watches my head movement and my eyes. If I stare at her she knows I'm confused and I need her help or I'll snap my fingers. She'll come right over to me it's really my job to watch her.

She's given me the fortitude, inspiration, willingness and most importantly the courage and independence to get out and face the day; talk to people, make new friends; take chances and live my very best life!

All of the above courtesy of a Black Lab named "Brenda!"

So cool!!!!!