Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Evenin' all:

Sorry I haven't been around, sis is here on vacation and a mountain of help with mom! I think her meds are kicking in, too, she has been an angel. Sis probably thinks I am the one loosing my mind! Well she is right about that.

But, I just had to come and brag. Travis got a letter sent home with him that he has been chosen to get a "pet partner" to read to at school! It is thru P.A.W.S. (Pet Animals Working With Students) He will have a therapy dog to read to at least 30 minutes a week! We are so excited. When he reads to me at night, Jezzy gets up in the chair or on the bed with us. I don't really think she is listening, just trying to stay in the loop!

Jocko: Rain this way too! We will take all you can send. 114 degrees again today! Ughhhhh.

Nancy, I'm glad to hear your sister is there to help.

I'm so happy for Travis - How wonderful and lucky for him to have a dog to read to. He'll be the happiest boy and just watch him brag at how good he is.

I wish more schools would adopt this program. Children relate so well to dogs and would be willing to read to them more than to anything else!

Please let us know how it goes. I'd love to watch him reading to his dog!

Attack Service Dog? did I miss something? Is this tongue in cheek?

When our last service dog passed away, we went back to the place we had gotten him to get another. They stuck us with this dog that was not very well trained and when we brought him home to meet Bailee, our pet lab, he attacked her. Needless to say he went back to the place and we applied to CCI and got Wex, the best dog ever.

By the way, glad to hear you are all doing ok with this nasty weather, and that pic of Blitz is awesome!

Edited by rangeley

Evenin' all:

Sorry I haven't been around, sis is here on vacation and a mountain of help with mom! I think her meds are kicking in, too, she has been an angel. Sis probably thinks I am the one loosing my mind! Well she is right about that.

But, I just had to come and brag. Travis got a letter sent home with him that he has been chosen to get a "pet partner" to read to at school! It is thru P.A.W.S. (Pet Animals Working With Students) He will have a therapy dog to read to at least 30 minutes a week! We are so excited. When he reads to me at night, Jezzy gets up in the chair or on the bed with us. I don't really think she is listening, just trying to stay in the loop!

Jocko: Rain this way too! We will take all you can send. 114 degrees again today! Ughhhhh.

Nancy, How wonderful for Travis!! To bad Wex isn't there, he loves to be read to by the kids.

CCI CALLED: It's a boy!!!!!!! That's all they would tell me about the dog. He's also very stubborn and refuses to learn some of his commands and they don't think he'll be ready by September 18th.

Congrats! Sounds like the perfect dog for you! :p

So, Brenda and I get to cruise on September 24th......Yippeee!!!!!! I'm very happy about that!!!!

Congrats to Brenda on getting a last cruise in before fully retiring!

Thank you all for being THERE for me and [as usual] and for being such a great support system......I have to start practicing my "good boys" instead of "good girls!" I love male dogs!

I'm getting excited now!!!!!!

Oh gosh, yeah, I can imagine I'd mix up the gender all the time if I changed gender of dogs!

When our last service dog passed away, we went back to the place we had gotten him to get another. They stuck us with this dog that was not very well trained and when we brought him home to meet Bailee, our pet lab, he attacked her. Needless to say he went back to the place and we applied to CCI and got Wex, the best dog ever.

By the way, glad to hear you are all doing ok with this nasty weather, and that pic of Blitz is awesome!

Cindy, I remember when "Joe" came into you life and suddenly was gone with very vague comments. Then we all got to experience the exitement that was "Wex". You shared some much that I felt I was in the dorm room with you and John and of course "sexy wexy". All service dog groups aren't the best and even the best can have dogs that don't work...one of the reasons for good home visits. Some dogs I have brought home, have not worked out well with my dog and the trainers are well aware. It is not that those dogs can't go out to service, but not into a family with established loved pet family members. The pups and dogs who come home to my house are exposed to a 7 year old lab and a 20 year old cat. If they have problems with those family members it is noted.

Looking forward to time with the ever rotten and teenager known as "Cooler" and the evervescent pup known as "Mackey"!

[/b][/color]

Congrats! Sounds like the perfect dog for you! :p

[/b]

Congrats to Brenda on getting a last cruise in before fully retiring!

Oh gosh, yeah, I can imagine I'd mix up the gender all the time if I changed gender of dogs!

Thanks Quam! I can't wait until I can go up to CCI and meet my new, younger partner.

Then when I bring him home to Brenda, I can't wait to see the "Meet & Greet!"

Cindy, I remember when "Joe" came into you life and suddenly was gone with very vague comments. Then we all got to experience the exitement that was "Wex". You shared some much that I felt I was in the dorm room with you and John and of course "sexy wexy". All service dog groups aren't the best and even the best can have dogs that don't work...one of the reasons for good home visits. Some dogs I have brought home, have not worked out well with my dog and the trainers are well aware. It is not that those dogs can't go out to service, but not into a family with established loved pet family members. The pups and dogs who come home to my house are exposed to a 7 year old lab and a 20 year old cat. If they have problems with those family members it is noted.

Looking forward to time with the ever rotten and teenager known as "Cooler" and the evervescent pup known as "Mackey"!

Very well put, Cindy. I'm looking forward to Brenda & "Successor" meeting!

Hey guys here is another creative side of me besides playing guitar. A little back ground first, I have been involved in painting items since I can remember. From building models in the 5th grade, to my year book doing a 1/2 page on my model building in my Jr year (it must have been a slow year for my school, lol). I have also done ceramics for years and purchase those pottery figurines at Michael's like the Santa's and painting them and giving them as presents. When I had a accident almost 3 years ago and injured my left knee again. It was during that time period while I was laid up I spent allot of cash for supplies and I got into acrylic painting. I have painted a few things, yet this is my first somewhat realistic living thing. This is supposed to be my catfish in my 100gal saltwater aquarium.

Only back ground and light line for fish

320946_10150273192801022_508476021_8168700_2048380_n.jpg

Start shading

310391_10150273192701022_508476021_8168695_3570571_n.jpg

Fish basically finished

295911_10150273192981022_508476021_8168708_3024509_n.jpg

Finished painting, just need to seal it and sign back.

300996_10150273193321022_508476021_8168721_3805879_n.jpg

Hey guys here is another creative side of me besides playing guitar. A little back ground first, I have been involved in painting items since I can remember. From building models in the 5th grade, to my year book doing a 1/2 page on my model building in my Jr year (it must have been a slow year for my school, lol). I have also done ceramics for years and purchase those pottery figurines at Michael's like the Santa's and painting them and giving them as presents. When I had a accident almost 3 years ago and injured my left knee again. It was during that time period while I was laid up I spent allot of cash for supplies and I got into acrylic painting. I have painted a few things, yet this is my first somewhat realistic living thing. This is supposed to be my catfish in my 100gal saltwater aquarium.

Only back ground and light line for fish

320946_10150273192801022_508476021_8168700_2048380_n.jpg

Start shading

310391_10150273192701022_508476021_8168695_3570571_n.jpg

Fish basically finished

295911_10150273192981022_508476021_8168708_3024509_n.jpg

Finished painting, just need to seal it and sign back.

300996_10150273193321022_508476021_8168721_3805879_n.jpg

Good job! You can do wall murals!

I am real good with one color solid murals.......

No matter what anyone may say......I think you could probably do a great job on making a lovely mural of your work on a wall.

And, if anyone is still laughing, do you know how much money it is to get a mural painted on a wall with an underwater scene....it would cost a fortune. I'm just sayin!!!!

No matter what anyone may say......I think you could probably do a great job on making a lovely mural of your work on a wall.

And, if anyone is still laughing, do you know how much money it is to get a mural painted on a wall with an underwater scene....it would cost a fortune. I'm just sayin!!!!

Even more if you didn't want any paint in the windows. :eek:

Here's something that I'm sure some of you may not think about but I do.

When you enter a lot of the cruise terminals, with your Service Dog, you have the choice of using; stairs/elevators or escalators.

• DH Could never do the stairs
  • Brenda Could never use the escalator
  • So, we were always in the line with all the wheel chair/seniors/walkers who had no other choice and it would take forever to get upsatirs to the Registration Desk.

Now they train CCI dogs to use escalators, I can't wait to do the stuff that I haven't done with Brenda for almost 10 years.

For those of you whose dogs have been trained to use escalators can you tell me about it?

Here's something that I'm sure some of you may not think about but I do.

When you enter a lot of the cruise terminals, with your Service Dog, you have the choice of using; stairs/elevators or escalators.

• DH Could never do the stairs
  • Brenda Could never use the escalator
  • So, we were always in the line with all the wheel chair/seniors/walkers who had no other choice and it would take forever to get upsatirs to the Registration Desk.

Now they train CCI dogs to use escalators, I can't wait to do the stuff that I haven't done with Brenda for almost 10 years.

For those of you whose dogs have been trained to use escalators can you tell me about it?

I had no idea they trained dogs for that :eek: That seems like such a bad idea, tails, paws, just not good. :eek:

I had no idea they trained dogs for that :eek: That seems like such a bad idea, tails, paws, just not good. :eek:

Well, I guess Wexy wasn't trained on escalators. CCI is now training the pups to use escalators safely. I have not seen it yet but I guess I will when I go to training in December.

When we attended our last CCI Workshop in Santa Rosa, they touched lightly on the subject. One of the attendee's talked briefly about her dog being anxious about getting off the escalator and they were making suggestions. I wish I had paid more attention. It didn't really apply to us so I showed little interest. That'll teach me.

Sunshine: Is it something that you do with your pups? And, what's your opinion of it?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

They are starting to teach the dogs to use the escalator. As a volunteer you have to have some additional training, which, I have not had yet. I really need to talk to Mackey's trainer about this as he is very bold and confident and probably would do very well with it.

I made Rich smile today. I didn't tell him Cooler was coming home for a one night visit. He was so happy when he opened the door to two wagging tails instead of just one. Cooler got so many hugs and kisses, she is exhausted and sleeping next to me.

They are starting to teach the dogs to use the escalator. As a volunteer you have to have some additional training, which, I have not had yet. I really need to talk to Mackey's trainer about this as he is very bold and confident and probably would do very well with it.

I made Rich smile today. I didn't tell him Cooler was coming home for a one night visit. He was so happy when he opened the door to two wagging tails instead of just one. Cooler got so many hugs and kisses, she is exhausted and sleeping next to me.

I'm looking forward to the training in December.

I'm glad Rich had a smile......leave it to the dogs to bring the softer side of a man out!

I left Brenda at home today....it's 108 degrees where I work and I just couldn't bare the thought of her having to suffer through the walk outside with her thick and dense coat. I miss her so much.....I can't wait to go home and hug her. She'll put her nose into my hand and open her mouth and taste my skin, all the while her tail is moving so fast her whole back end looks like a bucking broncho.....it's so amazingly beautiful and silly how she loves!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Ollie was trained on the escalators. Even after we got him home, he was a little standoffish with them, but he is now a pro! I'm trying to think how they get on the escalator. I know we always go behind them when we get off, because Ollie is quick getting off and will run my kids over if they didn't get off fast enough. Ollie rode the DC metro a lot for 3 years. He had to get used to the escalators.

Still raining hear in Baltimore. Ollie stayed home with me today since it was raining so hard. I'm not sure what the plan is for tomorrow yet but it's possible he'll be home with me again. Who wants to smell sopping wet dog? The other benefit is it keeps me out of the stores :D

Ollie was trained on the escalators. Even after we got him home, he was a little standoffish with them, but he is now a pro! I'm trying to think how they get on the escalator. I know we always go behind them when we get off, because Ollie is quick getting off and will run my kids over if they didn't get off fast enough. Ollie rode the DC metro a lot for 3 years. He had to get used to the escalators.

Still raining hear in Baltimore. Ollie stayed home with me today since it was raining so hard. I'm not sure what the plan is for tomorrow yet but it's possible he'll be home with me again. Who wants to smell sopping wet dog? The other benefit is it keeps me out of the stores :D

If you remember about "boarding" the escalator can you tell us about it. And, how do you keep the tail/paws and hair from getting caught?

There are so many times when we're in the mall and the escalator is right in front of us and we have to go searching for an elevator or the stairs. And, if the stairs have an opening between them [like the ones in the center of the Sapphire/Golden and Diamond Princess], Brenda will not go beyond the first step.......she literally STOPS DEAD!!!!!!! It's amazing to see this bold/brave Service Dog turn to jello!!!!

I hope your weather dries out enough for you and Ollie to go out and enjoy some sunshine. We're so dry.....it's after 11:00pm and it's 86 degrees outside! Thank goodness for central air conditioning.