Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I got all the paperwork today for Team Training and the information on staying in the dorm, plus a phone call from one of the CCI Trainers.

I will be going up to Santa Rosa on December 4th - Class will start on December 5th and will end on December 10th. I'm so grateful that it's only 5 days but am afraid that it's going to be the most intense 5 days I'll ever know. When I questioned the trainer about the dog, she said there were actually two dogs.....the one that works the best with me will be "my dog!" That's all she would say.

I know I don't have to tell you how excited I am, I was going to wait until tomorrow to write from Brenda's Avatar but I can't settle down, my mind is going a mile a minute and I had to share the news with you. I'm so excited.

I had all of Brenda's bandana's that could be easily worn by a boy or a girl cleaned and pressed. I had a long talk with my girl about how much I love and adore her and how nothing or no one could ever change that, and my colleagues at work are planning a retirement party for her.

It's all so real now. I have tons of reading to do from CCI. They sent a notebook of reading material. Here come's the homework. :o

Roz, I am soooooo excited about this new doggie!!! You will be fine and don't forget, even though the commands have changed, you already have a dog so you know what you are doing. You also know CCI trainers are the best ever and would not let you leave being uncomfortable with the dog. December 4th is our anniversary, 13 yrs together. We will have a toast to you at our anni dinner. As I would say to John....CHILLAX!!

I am waiting right now for my new puppy for the weekend. He should be coming sometime before noon here. To bad the weekend isn't going to be that nice, starting with snow tonight! :mad: Oh just got a call my boy is on his way. I'll be back later!

Mornin' all:

Ok, Ms. Roz. I was all fine and dandy, chills on the arms reading the post, then you had to go and tell us your co-workers are giving Ms. Brenny a retirement party. I lost it. I am still crying. I am so happy that there are 2 dogs, now! You will want them both! :D Hey, you have 2 hands, you can have 2 working service dogs and one Ms. Pretty Girl. Now wouldn't that gives me a chuckle of a vision!

Cindy: I feel for you. I am one of those that has to have an answer, see how things work and find out what I can. I am glad that John is feeling better. I know it is easy to say don't worry, but unfortunately and silly subconscience does what it wants.

Jocko: Growing up I thought we were the only dysfunctional family around. Now that I have grown up (well gotten older) I realize that every family has problems, some just conseal them better. I still cannot get over a grandmother that can treat a grandchild that way this one does. I am sure there is some underlying reason that we may or may not ever find out. In the meantime, I can forget a person ever existed and I am on the way there, now!

Hope everyone has a nice day. We are getting 20-25 mph winds. Ugh, I do not like the wind.........

Cindy,

He looks alot like our older lab, Magic. Is he just there for a visit or are you now a puppy raiser?

Just puppy sitting for 4 days. He's very active, hasn't lied down yet. I don't think I would be very good as a puppy raiser.

Roz--YIPPEE!! :D And perfect timing... You'll be done with training in Santa Rosa the day I come home from my cruise so I won't miss the homecoming with Successor! ;) How exciting, two dogs gives you a better chance of a perfect fit. I'm SO happy for you! :D

Marcia, thank you so much for your good wishes. It's exactly what I thought about the "perfect fit"......I'm just afraid that I'm going to want both of them for different reasons!!!! :p

Have a fantabulous cruise and when you come home I'll be back with "Successor" as well. We'll both share our different stories.

You know through all of my anxiety of it all is a big Black Lab named Brenda who still lays her beautiful head, with those big brown eyes, on my lap for sweet, adoring love!!!!!!!

We went to the doctors yesterday. Johns doctor was the head of the neurology/stroke dept, so we were in good hands. Good/bad news is that we still don't know why this happened. He said John had more tests than some people have in a lifetime. And although we really want a reason why this happened, we are not getting one. Every test was good. We just have to get used to the idea that it was some fluke thing. He did say that it could have been brought on by STRESS!! John is constantly thinking and worrying about stupid stuff. So now we are "chillaxing" as they say. We did find out that he has a hole in his heart and 25% of the population has one and it's nothing to worry about. Of course I had some smarta$$ comments about that! ;)

I'm so glad to hear that our John is okay. It's still scary when he has these things......tell him to "knock it off!" He's scaring us!!!!!

I love your "smarta$$" comments......keeps us on our toes!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Well Simonds is here and he's a cutie. So far he's taken half the toys out of the toy box and my living room looks like a disaster area! :eek: He reminds me alot of my Rangeley. Here's a couple pics.

One trick I have in this family and I swear I don't know how they learned it but I am not going to question it either. I have a huge plastic box that you can get at Walmart. The puppies at my house sometimes will pick up their own toys and place them back in the box. Not aways and the one time they do work against me is when I am cleaning. I put one toy in the box and the dogs remove one each so they are three times faster at removing than I am at replacing. Although I love those rare times when they assist in picking up their own toys....

Edited by guitarest

Roz, I am soooooo excited about this new doggie!!! You will be fine and don't forget, even though the commands have changed, you already have a dog so you know what you are doing. You also know CCI trainers are the best ever and would not let you leave being uncomfortable with the dog. December 4th is our anniversary, 13 yrs together. We will have a toast to you at our anni dinner. As I would say to John....CHILLAX!!

I am waiting right now for my new puppy for the weekend. He should be coming sometime before noon here. To bad the weekend isn't going to be that nice, starting with snow tonight! :mad: Oh just got a call my boy is on his way. I'll be back later!

I won't be home with "Successor" [can't wait until I can use his real name] until December 14th [because I'm going to stop along the roadtrip home and visit my daughter who lives near San Francisco.]

The moment I get home I promise to get on the thread and talk you about my journey.....I can't wait to share it all with you.

Please tell us all about your "puppy" and how Wexy likes him.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Mornin' all:

Ok, Ms. Roz. I was all fine and dandy, chills on the arms reading the post, then you had to go and tell us your co-workers are giving Ms. Brenny a retirement party. I lost it. I am still crying. I am so happy that there are 2 dogs, now! You will want them both! :D Hey, you have 2 hands, you can have 2 working service dogs and one Ms. Pretty Girl. Now wouldn't that gives me a chuckle of a vision!

Cindy: I feel for you. I am one of those that has to have an answer, see how things work and find out what I can. I am glad that John is feeling better. I know it is easy to say don't worry, but unfortunately and silly subconscience does what it wants.

Jocko: Growing up I thought we were the only dysfunctional family around. Now that I have grown up (well gotten older) I realize that every family has problems, some just conseal them better. I still cannot get over a grandmother that can treat a grandchild that way this one does. I am sure there is some underlying reason that we may or may not ever find out. In the meantime, I can forget a person ever existed and I am on the way there, now!

Hope everyone has a nice day. We are getting 20-25 mph winds. Ugh, I do not like the wind.........

Nancy, I'm afraid too!!!! You know I'm not going to be able to look any dog in the eyes and not want to take it home with me!!!! I'm going to have to use a lot of restraint!!!!!!!

Nancy, there's no excuse in the world for a Grandparent to ignore a Granchild....NONE!!!!! I truly disliked my youngest daughter's first husband but that wasn't going to stop me from seeing my sweet, adorable and very first Grandson. He couldn't threaten me with an Uzi to keep me away!!!!!!!! But, that said, everyone's different and, today, I actually like the man...[loose term!]

Nancy, I'm afraid too!!!! You know I'm not going to be able to look any dog in the eyes and not want to take it home with me!!!! I'm going to have to use a lot of restraint!!!!!!!

Nancy, there's no excuse in the world for a Grandparent to ignore a Granchild....NONE!!!!! I truly disliked my youngest daughter's first husband but that wasn't going to stop me from seeing my sweet, adorable and very first Grandson. He couldn't threaten me with an Uzi to keep me away!!!!!!!! But, that said, everyone's different and, today, I actually like the man...[loose term!]

You want my mothers phone number, maybe you can talk some sense into the woman.... lol

Save the emotions until you know for sure, have to remember that while we really would like our 4 legged friends to have the same emotions they do not. Save the love until you know for sure. OK I'll shut up now.

Well Simonds is here and he's a cutie. So far he's taken half the toys out of the toy box and my living room looks like a disaster area! :eek: He reminds me alot of my Rangeley. Here's a couple pics.

Cindy, I LOVE HIM!!!!!!! What a great face. You're never going to want to give him back! What does Wexy think?

Over 3 hours and this pup has not stopped!!! It's amazing how he can keep going and going, I'm tired watching him. I play with him for a while then I stop but he doesn't. :eek: Wex is at school and hasn't seen him yet.

Edited by rangeley

Jocko: When my Renie Boy was a youngster, we always told to pick his toys up, out in the yard. He would run get one and put in the box. It was so cute. Now our Jezzy Lou does the same in the house. Hers is mostly like yours, taking them out of the basket as mommy puts them in to vacuum........It must be a dawg thing!

Boy does he drink ALOT! I just had to take him out again. I don't want him to pee on my carpet. When he just came over and sat under the desk, I figured he had to go.

Roz, He's very sweet and looks way better than the pics I posted. I just wish the weather was going to be better so we could run him, maybe that would wear him out :eek:

He has found one of those roasted bones we bought for Wex, and he seems to love it. Will he ever sleep? Nap? The guy forgot his kennel but said he should be ok, now I'm thinking maybe he would like to have it for a safe haven, although he seems very comfortable.

Over 3 hours and this pup has not stopped!!! It's amazing how he can keep going and going, I'm tired watching him. I play with him for a while then I stop but he doesn't. :eek: Wex is at school and hasn't seen him yet.

Oh! Darn! I wish he was home. Will he have a chance to play with this overactive toddler?

Boy does he drink ALOT! I just had to take him out again. I don't want him to pee on my carpet. When he just came over and sat under the desk, I figured he had to go.

Roz, He's very sweet and looks way better than the pics I posted. I just wish the weather was going to be better so we could run him, maybe that would wear him out :eek:

He has found one of those roasted bones we bought for Wex, and he seems to love it. Will he ever sleep? Nap? The guy forgot his kennel but said he should be ok, now I'm thinking maybe he would like to have it for a safe haven, although he seems very comfortable.

It sounds like he's keeping you company and very busy. He's trying to find a comfort zone.....he must love the "Wexy smells" all over the place. I don't blame you about the peeing everywhere thing. Which brings me to my question for you.......aren't CCI male dogs taught to squat when they pee? Does Wexy? :confused:

It sounds like he's keeping you company and very busy. He's trying to find a comfort zone.....he must love the "Wexy smells" all over the place. I don't blame you about the peeing everywhere thing. Which brings me to my question for you.......aren't CCI male dogs taught to squat when they pee? Does Wexy? :confused:

Yes...male CCI dogs are taught to squat when they pee. But sometimes they forget. Orson squats about 95% of the time.

Cindy, you might be wishing for that crate tonight. :eek:

Yes...male CCI dogs are taught to squat when they pee. But sometimes they forget. Orson squats about 95% of the time.

Cindy, you might be wishing for that crate tonight. :eek:

When they forget is anything said or done? My Brenda's a very polite "potty" girl......even when she's going in a potty box she's very careful not to miss the litter and not go outside the box!!!! :o

When they forget is anything said or done? My Brenda's a very polite "potty" girl......even when she's going in a potty box she's very careful not to miss the litter and not go outside the box!!!! :o

That's a good question. It usually happens very fast. Like when we're walking someplace. It's like a quick lift and go. :rolleyes: I don't really remember CCI saying anything about a correction for that.

That's a good question. It usually happens very fast. Like when we're walking someplace. It's like a quick lift and go. :rolleyes: I don't really remember CCI saying anything about a correction for that.

I'll find out in a few weeks and I'll report back. Seems silly but I imagine it would be pretty tough while peeing in a 4x5 box without missing the area, without squating.

What has our conversation come down to? :eek: