Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Wex squats and so does Simonds. As Den said, I don't think there is any correction for lifting their leg. Wex has never done that.

I am hoping we don't have to borrow a kennel from someone. We will see how things go tonight and see if he's ok. Otherwise we will have to find one to use. We have a baby here named Abby, she loves Wex but when she started walking she grabbed his face and now he is terrified of her. He doesn't like any toddlers. Simonds just loves her!! And she loves him. Here's a pic of her.

1683639232_Elliesgoingawayparty015.jpg.ac649cddb386ec89c946b4391a6fd50f.jpg

I'll find out in a few weeks and I'll report back. Seems silly but I imagine it would be pretty tough while peeing in a 4x5 box without missing the area, without squating.

What has our conversation come down to? :eek:

Wex actually pooped outside the box on the ship. He's a big boy and with all that spinning around his bum was over the edge. :eek:

Wex squats and so does Simonds. As Den said, I don't think there is any correction for lifting their leg. Wex has never done that.

I am hoping we don't have to borrow a kennel from someone. We will see how things go tonight and see if he's ok. Otherwise we will have to find one to use. We have a baby here named Abby, she loves Wex but when she started walking she grabbed his face and now he is terrified of her. He doesn't like any toddlers. Simonds just loves her!! And she loves him. Here's a pic of her.

Your house is filled with the cutest pups and the most adorable baby. Lucky you. ;)

Very interesting about the "squating" thing. It's so instinctual for a male dog to lift its leg to pee, the training process must be intense.

Wex actually pooped outside the box on the ship. He's a big boy and with all that spinning around his bum was over the edge. :eek:

I know it's so funny to us.....but, you have to have an O.C.D. dog to totally understand all my questions. Brenda is so weird about pooping and peeing......she absolutely will NOT go on carpet or flooring and prefers that you don't look at her when she is going....she gets the most intense look on her face when she has to go and will circle the "potty box" 100 times making sure that her butt is in the right place so the poop doesn't fall outside the box and, then she doesn't like to watch me pick it up.......I'm telling you she's hysterical in her obsession over bodily functions.

She is such a "diva" dog :p........she makes me chuckle when I observe the ritual that she goes through when first going in a strange "potty box!" :rolleyes:

Jocko: When my Renie Boy was a youngster, we always told to pick his toys up, out in the yard. He would run get one and put in the box. It was so cute. Now our Jezzy Lou does the same in the house. Hers is mostly like yours, taking them out of the basket as mommy puts them in to vacuum........It must be a dawg thing!

Fer sure and here I thought it was a southern dawg thang..... lol

So, first of all...Cindy and John (and Wex) welcome to my world!!! People ask how I can sent the pups back. I laugh and make a "grammy" kind of joke...but JK these pups are exhausting. Toys everywhere, outside every few hours. Cheers like they won the world series when they pee or poop outside....whew...I'm tired, and I don't have a pup at home. I still love all my guests. Mackey and Cooler are rock stars, but they both gave me a run for my money the first few days at the house...

Roz, so excited about Mr. or Ms Successor. I can't wait to see pictures, and maybe a trip to the west coast to see you all. Of course Brenny can't wait to see Aunt Sunshine and tell her how awful it is to share her mom and papa!!!

Cindy and John, I am not making light with your trials and issues with doctors, hospitals and diagnosis. Without going into two many details, I can tell you I have been walking your walk and it is very hard and frustrating. On one hand you want a firm diagnosis and treatment plan. on the other...an undetermined diagnosis, can mean none of the bad things we all worry about. Just know my prayers and wll wishes and puppy love and tail wags are with you.

Karen

I've been catching up on the posts since I haven't been on in a few weeks. Been a lot going on.

Did any of you read about the college in MD that is putting their kids on a small cruise ship to use as a dorm? Apparently there are mold issues at the dorm stemming from Hurricane Irene back in September and the ship will work out better than a (land based) hotel.

We found out recently that I will be an aunt again. My FIL said he was looking foward to doing a more "adult" family vacation in a few years but instead it looks like another Disney cruise is in the future!

From time to time I look at the cruises out of Baltimore. I can get a great rate on some trips but my kids and school are an issue. Can't pull them out at this stage of their schooling.

So, first of all...Cindy and John (and Wex), Roz, so excited about Mr. or Ms Successor, Cindy and John,and Karen

Hows that for a quote, ehhhh pretty dang creative. Yeah thats me; Mr Creative..... lol

OK silly part finished. I really hate one thing about this forum we are all here because someone in your family or yourself needs the assistance of a 4 legged animal to have the same quality of life. With that said that means some of us are sick or have some sort of ailment that causes physical or emotional scars on our daily routines. With this comes normal reports from each other about our health or spouses health. I do hate this aspect of this forum that has brought us together. Although without those annoying defects in our bodies I would have never been blessed with this meeting this wonderful group who I can say very proudly I know ya really get me since you feel the same pain I feel every day.

With that said I do hope that with research and passing of time we will all one day be in a situation were we are no longer disabled or one day it just will no longer actually matter.

Very interesting about the "squating" thing. It's so instinctual for a male dog to lift its leg to pee, the training process must be intense.

Actually, if you neuter a male dog before he reaches sexual maturity, he'll generally "pee like a girl" for the rest of his life. Toby and Tyler were neutered before six months and they both squat with no training on our part. The bonus is early neutering also prevents them from wanting to smell every "calling card" when we're out walking.

A few early-neutered male dogs "learn" to lift their leg from watching other dogs. Tyler's tried it a few times but he can't really do it right and ends up peeing on his leg. So we're pretty diligent about rewarding squating with him.

So, first of all...Cindy and John (and Wex) welcome to my world!!! People ask how I can sent the pups back. I laugh and make a "grammy" kind of joke...but JK these pups are exhausting. Toys everywhere, outside every few hours. Cheers like they won the world series when they pee or poop outside....whew...I'm tired, and I don't have a pup at home. I still love all my guests. Mackey and Cooler are rock stars, but they both gave me a run for my money the first few days at the house...

Roz, so excited about Mr. or Ms Successor. I can't wait to see pictures, and maybe a trip to the west coast to see you all. Of course Brenny can't wait to see Aunt Sunshine and tell her how awful it is to share her mom and papa!!!

Cindy and John, I am not making light with your trials and issues with doctors, hospitals and diagnosis. Without going into two many details, I can tell you I have been walking your walk and it is very hard and frustrating. On one hand you want a firm diagnosis and treatment plan. on the other...an undetermined diagnosis, can mean none of the bad things we all worry about. Just know my prayers and wll wishes and puppy love and tail wags are with you.

Karen

Sunshine, I'm so glad to see you posting. I hope all is well for you. You can be "there" for Cindy when she has to give Simonds back and I can't even imagine all the work involved with these pups......way too much work for me!!!!!!!

How are your future cruise plans going?

I've been catching up on the posts since I haven't been on in a few weeks. Been a lot going on.

Did any of you read about the college in MD that is putting their kids on a small cruise ship to use as a dorm? Apparently there are mold issues at the dorm stemming from Hurricane Irene back in September and the ship will work out better than a (land based) hotel.

We found out recently that I will be an aunt again. My FIL said he was looking foward to doing a more "adult" family vacation in a few years but instead it looks like another Disney cruise is in the future!

From time to time I look at the cruises out of Baltimore. I can get a great rate on some trips but my kids and school are an issue. Can't pull them out at this stage of their schooling.

I hadn't heard about the students onboard the cruise ship.

Congratulations on being an aunt again.....I really can't feel too sorry for you having to take a Disney Cruise. It sounds like great fun for all of you.

I hope you find the time for all of you to enjoy a cruise together.

Hows that for a quote, ehhhh pretty dang creative. Yeah thats me; Mr Creative..... lol

OK silly part finished. I really hate one thing about this forum we are all here because someone in your family or yourself needs the assistance of a 4 legged animal to have the same quality of life. With that said that means some of us are sick or have some sort of ailment that causes physical or emotional scars on our daily routines. With this comes normal reports from each other about our health or spouses health. I do hate this aspect of this forum that has brought us together. Although without those annoying defects in our bodies I would have never been blessed with this meeting this wonderful group who I can say very proudly I know ya really get me since you feel the same pain I feel every day.

With that said I do hope that with research and passing of time we will all one day be in a situation were we are no longer disabled or one day it just will no longer actually matter.

Before I had Brenda in my life as my Service Dog, my life was so one dimensional.....she brought me out of the shadows and into life again.....I will forever be grateful to her.

Also, this forum has been such a wonderful way to express our likes, dislikes and wonderful stories about our Service Dogs......inviting even those who don't have a Service Dog into our lives.

I also got the opportunity to meet a wonderful gal to cruise with. All because of this forum.

Actually, if you neuter a male dog before he reaches sexual maturity, he'll generally "pee like a girl" for the rest of his life. Toby and Tyler were neutered before six months and they both squat with no training on our part. The bonus is early neutering also prevents them from wanting to smell every "calling card" when we're out walking.

A few early-neutered male dogs "learn" to lift their leg from watching other dogs. Tyler's tried it a few times but he can't really do it right and ends up peeing on his leg. So we're pretty diligent about rewarding squating with him.

Thanks you so much for explaining this. It makes such good sense. I feel so much smarter now!!!!

Sunshine I don't know how you do it. Now I expected a 1yr old would be "busy" but did not expect the constant movement. He never stops!! Thank god for friends,cuz we called them last night and they brought a kennel right over. When Wex got home, all heck broke loose. Now we did not mind the wrestling, actually it was fun to watch. But by hour 2 we had enough. I cannot believe that a dog could go from 10am til 8pm without laying down just once, finally we had to lock him in the kennel. When I got John into bed around 10pm, I came out to sleep on the couch where the kennel was, I had all the lights out and unzipped the door. He came out and FINALLY around 10:30 he layed down next to me and went to sleep. Of course 3am when Wex decided to come out of the bedroom changed everything for a few minutes and thankfully they both settled down. He has eaten 3 toys and I finally picked everything up that is not indestructable. Needless to say, there's 3 toys left for him to play with. Today is suppose to be nice but chilly so I am hoping to do alot of outside things. I think maybe lunch up the street and maybe a ride to the grocery store. Of course it might be a short trip!! :eek: He is a beauty and the pics don't really show how beautiful he is. He has this permanent furrowed brow that is to die for. Alot of loose skin on his face. It's really hard at this age to see how these dogs become service dogs. I could NEVER be a puppy raiser. I had the greatest respect for them before but now I bow to them!! It also might make a difference cuz we have another dog here. The people that had him last month said he was completely different. So Wex might have something to do with his wildness but Wex wasn't here all day when he was going. Ok I'm pooped just talking about it. And yesterday we got an email that someone wants us to take their 5 month old puppy. I DON'T THINK SO!! :D

Sunshine I don't know how you do it. Now I expected a 1yr old would be "busy" but did not expect the constant movement. He never stops!! Thank god for friends,cuz we called them last night and they brought a kennel right over. When Wex got home, all heck broke loose. Now we did not mind the wrestling, actually it was fun to watch. But by hour 2 we had enough. I cannot believe that a dog could go from 10am til 8pm without laying down just once, finally we had to lock him in the kennel. When I got John into bed around 10pm, I came out to sleep on the couch where the kennel was, I had all the lights out and unzipped the door. He came out and FINALLY around 10:30 he layed down next to me and went to sleep. Of course 3am when Wex decided to come out of the bedroom changed everything for a few minutes and thankfully they both settled down. He has eaten 3 toys and I finally picked everything up that is not indestructable. Needless to say, there's 3 toys left for him to play with. Today is suppose to be nice but chilly so I am hoping to do alot of outside things. I think maybe lunch up the street and maybe a ride to the grocery store. Of course it might be a short trip!! :eek: He is a beauty and the pics don't really show how beautiful he is. He has this permanent furrowed brow that is to die for. Alot of loose skin on his face. It's really hard at this age to see how these dogs become service dogs. I could NEVER be a puppy raiser. I had the greatest respect for them before but now I bow to them!! It also might make a difference cuz we have another dog here. The people that had him last month said he was completely different. So Wex might have something to do with his wildness but Wex wasn't here all day when he was going. Ok I'm pooped just talking about it. And yesterday we got an email that someone wants us to take their 5 month old puppy. I DON'T THINK SO!! :D

What an adventure for all of you........YOU are going to be so exhausted when Simonds leaves....You'll be grateful to let him go. Now, I get how Puppyraisers can do it.....they need the rest!

You're a good friend! Don't you have enough to do?

What an adventure for all of you........YOU are going to be so exhausted when Simonds leaves....You'll be grateful to let him go. Now, I get how Puppyraisers can do it.....they need the rest!

You're a good friend! Don't you have enough to do?

Roz, Simonds is sooooo different today. When John and Wex left he just relaxed and layed down on the bed. I took him to 2 different supermarkets and we went to a local place for lunch. He was great! It's amazing when you put the jacket and gentle leader on how they know it's work time. I am hoping when Wex comes home, he is not so nuts today. Maybe he will leave Wex alone after alittle play time. The only problem I had or I should say something I didn't like , was in the car he would not lay down on the back seat. Everytime I said "down" he would try to jump onto the floor. :eek: I couldn't do to much correcting cuz I was driving, so he just sat next to the door and looked out the window. By Sunday I just might be sad when he goes.

Roz, Simonds is sooooo different today. When John and Wex left he just relaxed and layed down on the bed. I took him to 2 different supermarkets and we went to a local place for lunch. He was great! It's amazing when you put the jacket and gentle leader on how they know it's work time. I am hoping when Wex comes home, he is not so nuts today. Maybe he will leave Wex alone after alittle play time. The only problem I had or I should say something I didn't like , was in the car he would not lay down on the back seat. Everytime I said "down" he would try to jump onto the floor. :eek: I couldn't do to much correcting cuz I was driving, so he just sat next to the door and looked out the window. By Sunday I just might be sad when he goes.

Every day is a new day for you and Simonds [such a CCI name for a dog.] I love the puppy brain it makes no sense [except, he sure knew when you put his jacket and gentle leader on!]

I think about how my new dog will be on the journey home from CCI. Brenda is and ALWAYS was an amazing traveler. She just "honkers" down into the back seat as I'm driving along. She doesn't like sticking her head out the window and rarely will change positions. She definitely has spoiled me for any other dog [when it comes to car etiquette.] We'll see!

Every day is a new day for you and Simonds [such a CCI name for a dog.] I love the puppy brain it makes no sense [except, he sure knew when you put his jacket and gentle leader on!]

I think about how my new dog will be on the journey home from CCI. Brenda is and ALWAYS was an amazing traveler. She just "honkers" down into the back seat as I'm driving along. She doesn't like sticking her head out the window and rarely will change positions. She definitely has spoiled me for any other dog [when it comes to car etiquette.] We'll see!

Aren't some of the service dog names crazy? Thats cuz they let people pay money to name them. I always thought Rangeley (from Rangeley Maine) was wierd but I got used to it. Wexy, I really like. I always thought the dog names were suppose to be just 2 syllables, atleast thats how it used to be.

Rangeley and now Wex are and were awesome travelling dogs. Bailee, not so much. For the longest time she would stand on the back seat and whine the whole 2 hours up here. Then for some reason when she lived here she got better, still stood up but no whining. When we would take her in the van, Wex or Rangeley would be on the bench seat and they did NOT share. She would stand between the bench seat and Johns locked down wheelchair. John would call her surfer dog cuz she would move with the motion of the van. OMG she was funny. Even though she hated me, I really miss her.

Aren't some of the service dog names crazy? Thats cuz they let people pay money to name them. I always thought Rangeley (from Rangeley Maine) was wierd but I got used to it. Wexy, I really like. I always thought the dog names were suppose to be just 2 syllables, atleast thats how it used to be.

Rangeley and now Wex are and were awesome travelling dogs. Bailee, not so much. For the longest time she would stand on the back seat and whine the whole 2 hours up here. Then for some reason when she lived here she got better, still stood up but no whining. When we would take her in the van, Wex or Rangeley would be on the bench seat and they did NOT share. She would stand between the bench seat and Johns locked down wheelchair. John would call her surfer dog cuz she would move with the motion of the van. OMG she was funny. Even though she hated me, I really miss her.

What????? She hated you????? I doubt it!!! Maybe it just felt like it. I know when Morey's giving Brenda her belly rubs, she looks at me like, "get away blondie, my man and me are busy!" Maybe Rangely just looked at you as the "pack leader" and you mistook it for "hate!"

OK, I am here and have been reading the posts. And laughing out loud at Cindy's stories of puppy life. All you can do is laugh at it, and be glad when the pups return so you can sleep, pick up toys and maybe have a dog tini!!!

Most male dogs if they are neutered early enough don't lift their legs. It's not really a squat, but more of a long horizontal lean...Never mind...somethings don't need to be described!

I had Mackey home last week, and Cooler home yesterday. Toys all over! Yikes!!!!

Cooler is scheduled for January Camp. She is so talented and hard working. She needs to go home with someone who needs her to work every day. She especially likes to tug open doors and retrieve objects. Life cell phones, remotes and car keys!

Rich and I are doing well. We are starting to resume life, while, still dealing with trust funds, wills, probates, and what to do with the "ashes". We are keeping a good since of humor during all of this.

Well my Simmy(as I called him) is gone and I'm very sad. It's amazing how attached I had gotten to him in just a few days. Him and Wex had a ball together and it was nice to have my own dog again. He settled right in after a day or two, but glad we had the kennel cuz we had to put him in it a few times. I will get to see him this weekend at our puppy class. I am attaching some pics of our Halloween party we had in the building we live.

On a crappy note, we got snow!!!! UGHHHHH!!!! Luckily we only got a few inches here but my mom got 13" and has no power. She is at a neighbors that has a wood stove so she can keep warm. At 86 I'm glad there is somewhere for her to go. They figure days to a week before they get power back. There are power lines all ove the street where she lives. I guess alot of cooking on peoples gas grills will happen this week. It's way to early for this kind of weather. I guess I won't be going home this week.

1017981248_Simonds016.jpg.fc0ef06e1c2ba8c7088ce47c950f40c3.jpg

110595135_WexSimmonds2011.jpg.3f8ab50f6de424151f5ee172c9bcf4c2.jpg

741522605_WexBee3.jpg.d8d23ec6012b9983400c7e49b8f9efd2.jpg

Good mornin'

Cindy: How ADORABLE! I love the one of the two of them. Such good pups. I just couldn't spend the money on a costume for Jezzy. Lord knows I wanted to.

I guess we don't get trick or treater door to door here. Main street downtown closes and all the business' hand out candy. I am taking Trav there. As a matter of fact, they had activities all weekend. The shopping mall did the same thing on Friday night. I am glad they make it safe for the kids. I did get a big bag of candy, just in case we have some come by here.

I love the pictures, Blitz and I are going to wait outside for the children. I wonder how many are going to by pass the house just because of Blitz being 86lbs. Well today is the end of the month; not only do I need to get comfortus and heartguard for all three pups; the vet just told me Blitz is due on his shots again. Dang that was a fast year.....