Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Roz and Nancy - Hi everyone

Denver and Cari here - Its been a while - Sailing to MR in January and I go through this every year as things always change - Wondering what people know * ROZ * about the rabies shot - Mine is a 3 year but Im told rabies must be given once a year for Mexico - does anyone have any experience with going to the MR with a 3 year expiration in the past 9 months or so ? I had a rabies done last year but I dont want to do it again if I dont need to - I think you just sailed there roz didnt you ?

also whos still using the 1 page health certs ? Anyone ? I was using the 5 page `carbon copy one last time -

thanks all

Bitz came to me through a perscription from the VA. I am a 100% DAV and he is my everything and almost like my child since my real children have moved away. I raised them without the help of their mother. Currently Blitz is sleeping about 2 foot away from me. Its finally raining, something we have needed for months.

Laura SF,

First let me say wow to your impressive resume. I hope you and your Mother and of course Asta have a wonderful cruise.

A solution could be to put Asta in doggie diapers. I have never seen a trained service dog pee "along the way" before. :eek: I think for health regulations this would be a major issue with the cruise line.

The frozen food issue might cause difficulty. I would check to see what temperature the fridge in the cabin maintains. You don't want Asta to get sick on "spoiled" food. I would check with your vet about sea sickness and what to give the dog. Also maybe find a comparable food subsitute that does not have to be frozen/refrigerated. The vet may be able to suggest a good substitute.

Traveling with a daughter in a wheelchair has been a joy, a challenge, and mostly taught me patience. Good luck.

Connie

Wow alot of new people! Welcome to everyone. Glad Guitarest is holding down the fort. Where are all the regulars? I guess they are busy getting ready for the holiday like me. I would judt like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone has a great day.

Cindy

Hi Connie -

Thanks so much for your message. All good ideas, and rather more helpful and welcoming, than an earlier message directed to me.

Asta is a registered service dog in the City of San Francisco. With our first time out on a 13 day cruise, perhaps some of my concerns are over-worry. We will check into the freezer situation.

Thanks for your good wishes. Will probably not be back on this board.

Laura

Thanks Cindy I'll hold the fort down....... We are supposed to have rain and nasty weather here, no problems we need rain. My back yard looks like a dust bowl.

My family are all strong supports of the Wounded Warrior project and have met many fine people doing so. Very glad that you have Blitz and also the rain. We are in a severe drought area and certainly understand that.

I hope that the lady from San Francisco comes back after her cruise to share what she has learned.

Laura the comments about the cruise ship and the urination training was not trying to make you defend yourself. Many of us have service animals with different degrees of training. To do a cruise your animal has to be very clean even thought it might be considered a service animal in SF there are still standards that have to be upheld. A dog marking the ship would not be something that could cause a concern and make it difficult for others with service animals. Blitz is recognized as a Service Animal by the VA, and the State of Mississippi although he also needs more training in the bathroom department and working with that 3X3 box.... Although proudly I can say he doesn't mark his area..

Edited by guitarest

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving! Reporting in from the sunny south. Cooler is home to spend Thanksgiving with us and had fun showing off her advanced commands to my daughter and her boyfriend. Took Terri and Evan (daughter and boyfriend from out of town) up to see the training facility. They had a great time playing with Mackey while Cooler got her bath. Cooler is set to attend January Camp, so I am enjoying as much time as I can with her.

As a note to Laura....please come back and tell us how your cruise went. Everyone learns from each other. I'm curious about the puppy potty you are bringing for your balcony...sounds interesting. It can be a challenge reading responses on the internet. You can't hear the tone of voice with the comment and many times they sound harsh.

I've had my own comments bashed, but, I have also learned quite a bit as well. Overall this is a pretty friendly group that hangs out on this blog site.

Laura the comments about the cruise ship and the urination training was not trying to make you defend yourself. Many of us have service animals with different degrees of training. To do a cruise your animal has to be very clean even thought it might be considered a service animal in SF there are still standards that have to be upheld. A dog marking the ship could be something that would cause a concern and may make it difficult for others with service animals. Blitz is recognized as a Service Animal by the VA, and the State of Mississippi although he also needs more training in the bathroom department and working with that 3X3 box.... Although proudly I can say he doesn't mark his area..

What happened to the edit button? Small typo in my comment, sorry. Its fixed here.

Its Blitz Magic...... lol First you need to create a gif (this type of picture with a series of photos) then put it on the internet at your server or any number of free posting sites. I can help create a Gif if you need help, let me know.

Thanks! Blitz is fantastic! I love those ears and that beautiful conformation.

Don't see many dogs that look that good.

Hi all

Is Roz at school yet for her sucessor ? Maybe I will e mail her and see what she is up to :D

I hope everyone had a good turkey day

for Laura - I did not read your post but it sounds like your dog has an issue with marking - just so you know you can be asked to depart the ship if you dog does this .... dont want you to get on a long cruise and not expect that not attacking you but just letting you know so you may want to invest in some diapers ..... Also we had someone on here before who had a dog who had frozed food and it was a disaster bec the fridge / freezer was not cold enough so you might either try a dry kibble ( there is a REALLY good one out there called trilogy ) or make arrangements ahead to see if they will put the food in their freezer - what line are you sailing ??? some are more accomidating vs others .....

hope this helps - again not an attack but the marking could get you booted off the ship - I have seen it a time or two -

Well guys just got back from the VA ER, I over stressed my heel spurs on Saturday. I went to the Combat Wounded Warrior of Mississippi Walk and while I did not finish the walk (just couldn't) the heel was injured again. Even if I had the ability I couldn't do the walk since everyone had to meet me and talk about Blitz.

On Friday I added the decals on the car (real fancy by a real printing company) that says Jocko and Pilot on one side and Blitz and Co-Pilot on the passenger side. OMG all the people who slow down and notice Blitz now I would dare to say its comical. Had one family lower their window and started saying hello to Blitz by name.I was scratching my head trying to figure out how they knew his name; then I remembered the decals. DUH......

and to add - marking outdoors is not acceptable and the cruise line will not let it slide even if it is outside .... again not attacking just letting you know since it sounds like this will be the first cruise with the dog

At least Blitz has this down pat (not marking).

Hi Everyone, [i'm on Morey's computer] because I just got back from Oregon, this evening and won't be back to work until Wednesday. Our Thanksgiving was filled with family and lot's of love [i hope yours was too!]

Welcome to all the new folks. Like Cari said sometimes our responses can seem "rough" they're not meant to be.

Cari, your 3 year vaccination [rabies] is perfect for Mexico. And, I was using the single page Certificates until this last trip and they were good too. Have fun, I wish I could be with you.

Laura, you will NOT be able to use the "public" freezer, although, if you have freezer paks the Hotel Manager may be able to get your Steward to drop them off in a freezer every evening and deliver them back to you in the morning , where you may be able to keep the food stored in your cabin frig. daily. It's all doable with a bit of work and forethought. As far as the "marking", whether it be inside or out on deck, it can't happen. I have a feeling you were kidding [i hope!] If not, there may be some re-training in your future. It's very easy to do!

Please come back and let us help with your cruising plans and share in your Service Dog adventures.

We're here to help each other and have taught each other so much. We've also made lasting friends and care about each other!

Next Sunday I go to CCI......OMG! I'm so excited. I take each one of you with me.

Hi Roz

Im close to campus :-) Will you be allowed to have people attend your graduation ? Denver and I would love to come :D

I am retiring my boy at the end of January:confused: big sigh .... Im on the list ... wish I was as excited as you are but Im just not there yet ... But your an inspiration and you keep me going ... I will let you run through the successor hoops and let me know what its like LOL then I will think about getting excited :o

If I wind up back at GDA in Sylmar I will send you an invite hoping to be in a class or home training by April.... I would invite you to the graduation at GDD in Palm Springs but I think thats a ways for you and papa to travel isnt it ?

I was told that the 1 year rabies was all they would take and a negative fecal and also a negative heart worm and advantage had to be applied seems like a lot to me since he is staying onboard .... guess I will go with the 3 year rabies and a health cert send it to Disney and if the say OK then its their problem from there on out ...whats the worst they can do not let me off the ship with Den in mexico ummm hello he is staying onboard anyways LOL

love to you all

Hi Roz

Im close to campus :-) Will you be allowed to have people attend your graduation ? Denver and I would love to come :D

I am retiring my boy at the end of January:confused: big sigh .... Im on the list ... wish I was as excited as you are but Im just not there yet ... But your an inspiration and you keep me going ... I will let you run through the successor hoops and let me know what its like LOL then I will think about getting excited :o

If I wind up back at GDA in Sylmar I will send you an invite hoping to be in a class or home training by April.... I would invite you to the graduation at GDD in Palm Springs but I think thats a ways for you and papa to travel isnt it ?

I was told that the 1 year rabies was all they would take and a negative fecal and also a negative heart worm and advantage had to be applied seems like a lot to me since he is staying onboard .... guess I will go with the 3 year rabies and a health cert send it to Disney and if the say OK then its their problem from there on out ...whats the worst they can do not let me off the ship with Den in mexico ummm hello he is staying onboard anyways LOL

love to you all

Cari, I would love to see you at Graduation. The Graduation will be in Santa Rosa, on campus at CCI, on January 27th. Morey, Brenda and my kids will be there.

Cari, it's been a very emotional struggle to retire my beautiful girl. I'm very lucky in that her and Morey are such good friends. I slowly weaned her away from work and right into Morey's arms. It's "magic" to see them together.

Now, when "Successor" and I go to work it won't be so hard on her! I hope!

I don't know why Disney would be so different than Princess, Celebrity, HAL, NCL and Carnival. On all those lines all I needed was a Vet exam within 3 months, date of the last rabies proving it would not expire before we disembark, proof that she was on Advantix, clear of any skin disease and healthy to travel-all paperwork signed by the Vet and you're good to go!