Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Evening all;

Quite day in here today. Oh my goodness. I just read an article from the author of Marley and Me. I guess his wife, daughter and him went to some of the castings. After the first part of casting, when Marley was supposed to be a baby, the director or producer came out and asked his daughter if she wanted to take home one of the puppies. Dad knew about it in advance and they took "Woodson" home. I guess after awhile they noticed that he couldn't jump in the back seat of the car or get up the stairs in the house. They took him to the vet and he said both of the little guys hips were malformed. He said it was a birth defect. The socket and ball joints don't line up. Anyway, for now they have him on a special diet and "joint" medication. He may have to have surgery later on. Dad called the breeder just to let them know. They were mortified and told him to bring the pup back and they would replace him. He said, "no", they were keeping him but just wanted them to know. What a great family this little guy got. Good luck to all of them. I guess he is as mischievious as Marley was. :eek:

I'm off work for the next two weeks so hopefully can make by here a couple of times. School is also done until 1-6-09. Just have to do one week of work then take a rest.

Everyone enjoy their holidays. Christmas is just around the corner. Maybe some cruises will be under the tree!

Nancy

Really wishing I could cancel my cruise and I will probably cancel our August cruise. (Please don't do this....you really are doing good-see below!)This has been more aggrivation than it is worth. I have provided them with a copy of his IAADP card and his shot records. They kept asking for certification so I sent them a copy of the US DOJ business brief and even highlighted the parts about certification not being required. There is no national certification and my state does not have certification. No matter how well his service dog behaves, or what tasks he performs he will never be certified. Now I get:

Because the CDC (Center of Disease Control) supersedes ADA, we ask that all guest(s) provide updated shot records YOU HAVE MET THIS CRITERIA (CORRECT?) and their service animal certification. (ANYTHING THAT YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT YOUR DOG HAS BEEN TRAINED TO DO THE SERVICE IT DOES, BY THE TRAINING ORG. OR A STATEMENT BY THE TRAINER OR A STATEMENT FROM YOU, IS ALL THAT IS NECESSARY).

Also, onboard our vessels, we have no medical support onboard for animals. We need to ensure the safety of all of our guest.quote] (Personally, I'm happy to see that the cruise lines are being so definitive and precise.....Hopefully, it will keep the "scam artists" away!

Hi All: It seems forever since I have been on the Board. We had a Fall 10 day cruise to the deep south from Fort Lauderdale and enjoyed it very much. Holland America treats us so well. The front desk manager asked for a picture to be taken of Oz with the staff, for the staff newletter.(Of course, I was there right beside him)

We are on the go again at the beginning of April - from Fort Lauderdale to Rome via a couple of stops in Spain, Portugal, Monti Carlo. We will stay for 6 days in Rome. The cruise is booked. The flights to Fort L., and back from Rome to Toronto and the B&B accommodation in Rome are also done. Just need to book a hotel for the one night in Fort L., before the cruise.

I downloaded the Italian Health form for Oz, which his vet and then the Gov't of Canada vet will fill in.

I hope everyone is looking forward to the upcoming Seasonal break.

WOW! It's good to hear from you....I'm so glad you were away for good things. Have a wonderful cruise to Rome. Which cruise line are you taking? We'll be on the Sapphire to Mexico, in April. Not nearly as extensive a trip as yours!

Please tell us all how it went. Oz, you lucky dog! I won't tell Brenda about this, she'll be insisting she'll want to go too!!!

Could you please tell us how easy it was to get Oz on your cruise and about your paperwork. "flsunnny", Is having a difficult time putting it all together and wants to cancel her cruise because of the difficulty in obtaining her paperwork. Maybe, since you're travels are taking you to quite an extensive trip, you could be of some assistance and help her!

I loved Marley and Me; I read it onboard the Diamond to the Sea of Cortez and I cried and cuddled Brenda for days aftwards.

I, too, will have a difficult time seeing the movie.....seeing all the billboards are tough enough...eventhough they're so adorable! If only Marley were black, he would look exactly like my girl!

WOW! It's good to hear from you....I'm so glad you were away for good things. Have a wonderful cruise to Rome. Which cruise line are you taking? We'll be on the Sapphire to Mexico, in April. Not nearly as extensive a trip as yours!

Please tell us all how it went. Oz, you lucky dog! I won't tell Brenda about this, she'll be insisting she'll want to go too!!!

Could you please tell us how easy it was to get Oz on your cruise and about your paperwork. "flsunnny", Is having a difficult time putting it all together and wants to cancel her cruise because of the difficulty in obtaining her paperwork. Maybe, since you're travels are taking you to quite an extensive trip, you could be of some assistance and help her!

Hi All - Cruising with my Guide Dog to the Deep South x 4, Bermuda, Mexico, US including Alaska x 2 has been a snap. All I needed to do was forward his Government of Canada International health certificate - this is filled in by his vet, reviewed by the Gov't vet, signed, dated and stamped. I did need to fax his certification card. His school is a member of the International Guide Dog Federation.

If I am correct your ADA does not say that a service/guide dog needs to be certified. I am sure a Doctor's note would work just fine or a letter from the training site (on letterhead)

Today, I needed to provide his certification for the charter airline for the flight from Rome to Canada. It is on the charter airlines website re the certification. In this case, the airline is not based in the US, so the ADA does not apply.

Wizard-of-Roz - we are going on Holland America Noordam - the third in a year. Love Holland America. Carnival, Princess, Norwegian were good, RCCL was great,....But love Holland America.:)

810966164_ozinsd002_edited.jpg.d9e21f33de8ed4085ae5fdc948e46161.jpg

Thanks folks! They are now happy with the IAADP membership. Now just need to get the health certificate and are good to go.

Also just ordered a harness and scooter for my son and Chewey. They are going to try Dog Scootering. Well, first I will train him and then see if my son can do it. Might be fun :D and in the long run will give him more independence.

Hi all.

As your Host on the Disabled Cruise Travel board I have been following this thread for the last 18 months with great interest and appreciation for how much mutual love and affection exists between Service Dogs and their human partners. (I hate to say "masters" because it seems that most of you with service dogs see them as partners.)

I grew up near Morristown, NJ, the home of Seeing Eye Dogs, and always marveled at their efforts and successes in training their dogs. The town green has always had "trainees" out and about.

This thread has been, and will continue to be, inspiring, especially in how it describes the human/canine bond and how well most of the cruise lines do their best to make the cruise experience as positive as they possibly can.

And it's great being able to meet Brenda, Oz, Winstar, Chewy and the others (vicariously, of course) who are all clearly God's gift to their respective partners.

Thanks so much Roz for starting this thread. I, for one, learned a great deal from the discussion and am looking forward to learning more (and being touched even more) in the future.

By the way, we are not movie goers; haven't been inside a theatre in at least 5 years; but I think we'll break the drought to see Marley & Me. Too bad we can't bring our two girls (Mini Schnauzers) to see how they could learn to behave if they really wanted to.

Again, a sincere thanks to you all for a wonderful thread and a very happy holiday season to all of you and to your very special friends.

mini_schnauzer.jpg

(Our "girls," Shadow and Pinot Noir. They aren't service dogs but they are definitely part of our family!)

Edited by Host Walt

How nice of you Host Walt to check-in. Your girls are beautiful. I am trying to talk my husband into taking me to see Marley and Me. I think we would enjoy it - Bailey too.

Just really wanted to wish everyone here

HAPPY HOLIDAYS,

MAKE PRECIOUS MEMORIES; HERE IS HOPING THE NEW YEAR BRINGS NEW OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL OF US!

917849105_BaileyIDpicture.jpg.20c4834fd9561003bb5c2e72855645d0.jpg

Edited by Andar

Walt, thank you so much for your thoughtful assessment of we people who travel through life with our Service Dogs. We appreciate your kind words.

We learn so much from each other....on this I can truly attest to! Without my wonderful friends on "Cruise Critic" I would have never known about some of the medicines/potty box updates/paperwork and so, so much more that have attributed to Brenda's and my cruising and everyday life!

I, too, am glad that I started this thread and I hope that it continues for a very long time. Thank you for that!

I love your "furbabies", they're beautiful. You must be a very special dad to them!

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year......see you on the boards!

lots of love and licks to all my cruising and cruise critic buddies......thank you for helping me and my mom so much!

i'm going to see "marley and me" on christmas day.....actually, he looks just like me, only i'm black.

sometimes, i even act like him.....love it! Love it!

happy everything to everybody!

your furpal forever,

brenda

H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S

to all the cruise critic family. Furbabies included! :D

Thanks Host Walt for taking an interest in this tread. I too was "sucked" in. No SD here, but am facinated with the stamina these guys have. Then sharing it with others to make the road a little easier.

And a BIG thank you to Roz and Brenny for starting the thread and keeping it going. Hugs and kisses from Reno and Leann to all the furbabies. :)

Awwwwww! How cute is she? I've thought about getting Brenny a "buddy", like a kitty or another dog....but, what would we do when we go out and about with Miss. Brenny and have to leave her buddy behind?

I'd feel so bad leaving it for a week or so, while Brenny is traveling the high seas or going to Las Vegas or whatever! Not fair! :o

Awwwwww! How cute is she? I've thought about getting Brenny a "buddy", like a kitty or another dog....but, what would we do when we go out and about with Miss. Brenny and have to leave her buddy behind?

I'd feel so bad leaving it for a week or so, while Brenny is traveling the high seas or going to Las Vegas or whatever! Not fair! :o

Actually, cats are happy to stay home! Unlike dogs who like to ride in cars, or hang out with their owners in strange environments (even ordinary pet dogs!), cats are much happier being at home, in their home environment, even if the owners aren't there. When I travel I find someone to come in to my house to take care of my furbuddies (4 cats)...they don't even like to travel as far as the vet!

So maybe getting another dog as a buddy wouldn't be a good idea...but cat might work, assuming both the cat and dog could learn to get along! :)

Actually, cats are happy to stay home! Unlike dogs who like to ride in cars, or hang out with their owners in strange environments (even ordinary pet dogs!), cats are much happier being at home, in their home environment, even if the owners aren't there. When I travel I find someone to come in to my house to take care of my furbuddies (4 cats)...they don't even like to travel as far as the vet!

So maybe getting another dog as a buddy wouldn't be a good idea...but cat might work, assuming both the cat and dog could learn to get along! :)

There's a thought......Brenny was trained with cats/rabbits, etc. She'd probably love the company.....You've got me thinking! ;)