Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Miriam;

I know the others are probably sick of hearing this, but, I do not have a service dog. Dh could probably qualify, but just not good timing for us. And they let me hang around this thread. I do have a big yellow lab. Anyway, I work with special needs kids. One of my girls has autism, well not diagnosed, because she is only 4, but has the symptoms. Anyway, I think Flsunnymommy can tell you how much having a service dog (Chewey) has helped her son. I say go for it with gausto!

I have never seen a Standard Poodle as a SD, but just love how regal they look.

MCDW;

What a handsome young man you have! Is he thinking about going swimming with the ducks? I hope not. :D

Nancy

dvdfreakmc - How was Wicked? I am debating taking my son, but always worry how it will go.

I have to give credit to the theme parks for letting us switch on and off the rides so everyone can ride. There have been somany times were he goes twice in a row on a ride while we switch people watching Chewy. Universal Studios has stepped up and has portable kennels available at all rides. This has allowed us to have family Men In Black Competitions. I am jealous as I want to go on Soar and the munchkin will not go.

Sporting events have been a breeze for us. They normally move us to rink side seats if they are open as Munchkin will not do the steep stairs. Just one warning with hockey and arena football, if you can scoot the chairs forward and place the dog behind you, you will be better off. We have been to a few games were we have temporarily shared a box with a player going over the wall.

For potty at events he goes before hand. If you need to take him out during the game, just inform security. We have done all day festivals that do not allow reentry and we have never had an issue getting back in. In reality, it is really hard to "sneak in or out" of somewhere with a service dog. Everyone kind of remembers you.

Just had to share this with you folks for good laughs:

First, I went into the Ortho Dr. today for the third in a series of shots to my knee. My DH went with me the first two tiimes - no Bailey. This time I took Bailey with me.

The doc looks at Bailey and then reads her service dog jacket and says, a service dog, huh with a kind of smirk. I had to explain she was not for the arthitis in my knee :eek:but rather was my medical alert dog for the brain injury and helped me with visual deficits (left field boundaries). He responds, "Well I have never seen that breed as a guide dog" I then had to explain that she is NOT a guide dog but a medical alert dog. So the doc got an education about different kinds of service dogs; guide dogs, hearing dogs , medical alert dogs and mobility dogs. :rolleyes:

Second, it is hard not to laugh with the babies or the monkey on this site, enjoy:

http://www.cutethingslaughing.com/

good-bye hug at the Chatsworth Train Station, with Denver and Brenda laying next to each other on the back seat of my car. (What a sight.) We had a great time!

I will always remember our SD's lying side-by-side just staring at each other, I wish everyone on this board could have seen them.....it was so beautiful. Denver, who is big and bold and blonde and Brenda who is a shorter, blacker version of him just fell in love!:p

We will be friends forever. :)

Roz and Brenda, Cari and Denver;

Sounds like you guys had a great time! :D I wish you could have got a picture of Brenda and Denver together, what a site. Kodak moment and priceless all in one.

Nancy

Host Caroline: Welcome! Isn't this a fabulous group of folks? Please don't hesitate to share your stories.

Poodles are wonderful Service Dogs, extremely devoted and perfect for the person with extreme allergies.

The only problem with them is once they've bonded with person, they don't "pass-off" real well. At least the one's I've seen don't!

I believe a lot of service organizations are trying to work with the Labradoodle........There's a breed I'd like to work with!

The only way to really avoid the "shedding" problems with the Lab's or Retrievers is to have them clipped......a groomer can litterly clip (shear, without taking the fur totally off) their hair (so they look like teddybears) down and that reduces the shedding a lot. But, with the black labs it destroys that beautiful glissening coat and they don't look as good as the yellows and goldens look. But, it does help with the hair everywhere.

Brenda is on Salmon Oil, every morning with her food and that helps a bit but doesn't get it all.

Darcie: I, too have had doctors who have absolutely no clue that Service Dogs can do a myriad of tasks and are always amazed at Brenda.

And, that video cracked me up! How cute is that?

Nancy: There is a standard white poodle who assists a woman who uses a wheelchair in our building. The dog is so gorgeous and such a gentelman! Brenda is always making "goo-goo" eyes at him!

Nancy, we are NOT sick of anything you have to say......You always add a lot of good information and you're our personal "cheerleader!" We're making you our mascot!

Cari took a picture of the two dogs, while in the restaurant. And, she said she was going to try and post it.......

I did it.......I'm booked on September 5th, Golden Princess to Alaska.....deposits in.

The Golden is one of our most favorite Princess ships.

We got a call from our new vet last night. He looked over all the IAADP paperwork and is ordering all the heartworm and flea and tick meds through them for us. Once he looks at all the cruise paperwirk, he is going to set up a schedule to get everything done. :D

That's what we like a Vet who's on top of things. You're very lucky to have such an advocate.

Have fun in your anticipation and planning....it's one of my favorite parts of cruising! :p

Just had to share this with you folks for good laughs:

First, I went into the Ortho Dr. today for the third in a series of shots to my knee. My DH went with me the first two tiimes - no Bailey. This time I took Bailey with me.

The doc looks at Bailey and then reads her service dog jacket and says, a service dog, huh with a kind of smirk. I had to explain she was not for the arthitis in my knee :eek:but rather was my medical alert dog for the brain injury and helped me with visual deficits (left field boundaries). He responds, "Well I have never seen that breed as a guide dog" I then had to explain that she is NOT a guide dog but a medical alert dog. So the doc got an education about different kinds of service dogs; guide dogs, hearing dogs , medical alert dogs and mobility dogs. :rolleyes:

Second, it is hard not to laugh with the babies or the monkey on this site, enjoy:

http://www.cutethingslaughing.com/

I had to laugh at your post because today I had the same thing happen to me - as you know, I am searching out the possibility of getting a SD for my daughter and despite having a couple of contacts, I thought I would contact my representative from an organization I've been dealing with for years (Resources for Exceptional Children). Great place and full of information for the most part but anyway, I emailed my rep and asked if she could get me the names of more organizations for SD's and info about other families who may be using one for their kids.

Well, her response about not seeing any 'guide' dogs for children with autism before made me chuckle! :D Even someone who should be well versed, like a doctor, doesn't know!

Miriam

PS. One of the organizations wrote back to me today and said that it didn't really seem like my daughter would be a great match. :( Although I gave them very limited info, one thing I did say was that she wasn't a 'runner' - well, it seems they only want runners. Too bad. I did explain that she would wander off though if I wasn't holding her hand so I'll see what she says about that. Of course, I will leave the decision up to them as they do know what their best matches are/will be and I need to trust them ultimately.

Miriam: Have you contacted CCI? Although, they're not in your immediate area we had people from thousands of miles away to come to CCI just for Team Training and to bring their Service Dog home with them.

They may be able to answer some of your questions right over the phone and may be a great resource for you.

They deal with lots of Autistic children and adults.

Miriam: Have you contacted CCI? Although, they're not in your immediate area we had people from thousands of miles away to come to CCI just for Team Training and to bring their Service Dog home with them.

They may be able to answer some of your questions right over the phone and may be a great resource for you.

They deal with lots of Autistic children and adults.

No, I've been trying to stick with organizations in Canada (and Ontario specifically) but I would love to contact them. I will email them this evening with some questions for sure!!!

Thanks for the info!

Miriam

PS. I meant to congratulate you on your next cruise!!!! OMG, the bug has hit me hard and I cannot stop thinking about my next one now. Kind of hard to concentrate on work :D

No, I've been trying to stick with organizations in Canada (and Ontario specifically) but I would love to contact them. I will email them this evening with some questions for sure!!!

Thanks for the info!

Miriam

PS. I meant to congratulate you on your next cruise!!!! OMG, the bug has hit me hard and I cannot stop thinking about my next one now. Kind of hard to concentrate on work :D

Hi Miriam, take a look at Canine Assistants located in Atlanta. They place dogs all over the US and I believe Canada. While most of their dogs are more general service and seizure response, it might be worth a look.

Golden-Doodles are another cross being worked with. Of course you have to hope that the puppies have the non shedding poodle gene, it can be a bit of a gamble. On the other hand you get the super smartness of the poodle and the wonderful golden disposition. Trouble is, the smart poodle doesn't always want to retrieve non stop. Like OK, I have already picked up your pencil 10 times, you do it this time.

That's very funny.....I guess what the organization's will do is breed and breed and breed until they have the "perfect" dog; The poodle hair; the lab disposition and work ethic and waahlah.....The perfect Service Dog!

I agree Poodles are very smart but they're "moody" and can be a bit "edgy".....They're just like me.

Whereas the Lab or Retriever will do "anything" for food! ;) So easy to persuade!

Miriam;

I know the others are probably sick of hearing this, but, I do not have a service dog. Dh could probably qualify, but just not good timing for us. And they let me hang around this thread. I do have a big yellow lab. Anyway, I work with special needs kids. One of my girls has autism, well not diagnosed, because she is only 4, but has the symptoms. Anyway, I think Flsunnymommy can tell you how much having a service dog (Chewey) has helped her son. I say go for it with gausto!

I have never seen a Standard Poodle as a SD, but just love how regal they look.

MCDW;

What a handsome young man you have! Is he thinking about going swimming with the ducks? I hope not. :D

Nancy

Thanks Nancy! We can be the cheerleaders of this great thread! How cool that you work with kids with autism - they are a very special bunch for sure!!!! My daughter has been the greatest teacher in my life. I used to be the most impatient, get it done NOW type ever but she has shown me that if you slow down, breathe, relax then things will come easier and you just don't stress as much. That and redirect when things get to be too much to handle! :D

I love all of the stories on this thread (hence me lurking for MONTHS, if truth be told :o). Dogs have always been a huge part of my life and knowing that there is a possibility of a dog somehow being able to help my child ... wow, I'm blown away! I would be honoured to have one in our life!

Miriam

Hi Miriam, take a look at Canine Assistants located in Atlanta. They place dogs all over the US and I believe Canada. While most of their dogs are more general service and seizure response, it might be worth a look.

Thanks for the info - I'll google them.

Miriam

So, as you have probably guessed already, I've always been owned by a high grooming breed and have all of the bells and whistles needed to take care of such duties. Now, I am wondering IF I am blessed to be chosen for a dog and it is a lab or golden (or any other breed for that matter), what grooming is required of these breeds? I believe it was you, Roz, who said that these breeds could be sheared down in order to help with the shedding but if combed daily, does that cut it down a lot? The idea of clipping all those beautiful coats off really isn't what I'd want to do.

I know, really stupid questions here but I have only ever had non shedding breeds and I'm basically clueless other than what friends have told me about their shedding goldens or labs - and who knows how often they were bathed, brushed etc!

Miriam

I have a lab/golden mix of my own. Not a SD, just a wonderful family member. She has a course lab coat. I groom her with a shedding tool(I use the "furminator") abt once a month and use a soft brush in between. She still sheds, but this helps keep it undercontrol. Whenever I bring a SD in training home, I give him or her a very good brushing, and if the trainer is OK with it a session with the shedding tool. I think some dog hair is something most of us just get used to. I don't have a service dog, but volunteer with an orginization that breeds and trains them.

I have a lab/golden mix of my own. Not a SD, just a wonderful family member. She has a course lab coat. I groom her with a shedding tool(I use the "furminator") abt once a month and use a soft brush in between. She still sheds, but this helps keep it undercontrol. Whenever I bring a SD in training home, I give him or her a very good brushing, and if the trainer is OK with it a session with the shedding tool. I think some dog hair is something most of us just get used to. I don't have a service dog, but volunteer with an orginization that breeds and trains them.

OK, last dumb question of the day (meaning there will be more tomorrow, most likely!), what is a furminator? And how does it work? Like a rake? I good friend used one on her GSD all the time and it pulled TONS of fur out?

Miriam

OK, last dumb question of the day (meaning there will be more tomorrow, most likely!), what is a furminator? And how does it work? Like a rake? I good friend used one on her GSD all the time and it pulled TONS of fur out?

Miriam

It looks a lot like a dog comb. I purchased it, ready to laugh at myself for spending way to much for a product advertised on TV, but it really works well, so I am glad I have it. One of my friends got one and went overboard with her golden. Fur flying everywhere. She said she wants to go after all the dogs just to see how much fur comes off. I purchased mine at PetCo, but I am sure they have them everywhere. Google them and you can see a grooming video. It is not a shearing devise, doesn't cut hair, just loosens and removes the undercoat.

kerrytens - autism on the seas has multiple people on board to assist you. They organize private get togethers, private dinning, talk to the kids club staff and prepare them. They join you at meals, have private tours, and help you as much as you want. I have seen a few kids (including mine) chose to sit with the staff at shows and meals. When we go with them, they are part of our vacation, not just our travel agent, but you chose how much you want them involved. My son has become great friends with them and sends them cards and e-mails them. They are awesome and you can always contact me off list @ Heather@ autism on the go . com (of course no spaces)

Ok, the furminator is awesome. It removes the undercoat only. It can take some time to do. You just want to make sure you brush lightly with the coat. Chewy and all the cats love it. There is much less fur covering our house. There is a special at PetSmart right now and you get free shampoo, conditioner and a microfiber towel with the furminator.

From what I have heard Canada has amazing service dog programs. The main one for children with autism, National Service Dogs, is not taking applications right now. I would check with ADI and see what schools are listed with them.

Hi Roz .. If I have a new avatar pic ... ITS JUST FOR YOU and brenny of course !!!! i just have to figure it out LOL

my 10 cents on most common SD breeds and grooming

labs - will shed 2x a year they blow out their coat and make way for a new coat ... mine sheds some but not terrible

golden retrievers- will SHED !!!! not terrible but sometimes more than a lab they too will blow their coat out 2x a year

golden lab cross- just expect a little of both

ALL service dogs will need regular brushing and bathing I bathe Denver every 2-4 weeks . FLEA CONTROL IS A MUST !!!!! goldens can use more brusing than a lab and for me i NEVER brush Denver ... only once in a blue moon .... if you keep up on bathing a lab you wont need to brush as much .... I have herd ( not the gospel but i have herd and agree ) the more you brush a dog the more they shed ... it stimulates coat growth and that in turn stimulates more hair to be shed .

NOW-

Poodles will need grooming at the groomers for hair cuts every 6-8 weeks ... they have hair so they dont shed really ... they do not have FUR ... it is haur like yours and mine ... they need regular daily brusing to avoid mats in their hair .... bathing etc is same as a lab or golden or LGX ( lab golden cross )

Doodles ( labradoodles and golden doodles ) same as a poodle they too will need to go to a groomer maybe a little less often than a poodle but they still need to go and also need daily brushing ......

groomers can be COSTLY so let that be a deciding factor ... can you afford a 45-60 dollar haircut for your dog every 6-10 weeks .....

good luck and I know youll get the right dog to meet your desires of grooming !!!!

Cari and Denver

ps ROZ I WANT TO GO TO ALASKA SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD help me convince my hubby !!!!!

god bless the german shepards LOL i forgot those poor guys in the grooming topic LOL

THEY SHED and in my opinion are the hardest to take care of grooming wise besides a poodle .... they have a double coat and they blow it out 2 x a year as well , but for a shepard they constantly need brushing to remove and keep the undercoat clean ....so buyer beware LOL j/k they are alot of work all of the dogs but well worth the effort !!!!

ok I got it up !!!! WOO HOO !!! A pic of Denver and the captian of the Star Princess in Sept of 08 on our Alaska cruise. I believe the captians name was ( forgive me captn if i spell it wrong ) Edwin Perry .... I want to send thisd pic to him anyone know how i can do so ?????

cari and Denver

PS ROZ dont let brenny stare at Denvers pic too long tell her her eyes will go bad... I already caught Denver looking at Brennys pic today ... I had to make him get off the computer LOL LOL LOL

Thanks Nancy! We can be the cheerleaders of this great thread! How cool that you work with kids with autism - they are a very special bunch for sure!!!! My daughter has been the greatest teacher in my life. I used to be the most impatient, get it done NOW type ever but she has shown me that if you slow down, breathe, relax then things will come easier and you just don't stress as much. That and redirect when things get to be too much to handle! :D

I love all of the stories on this thread (hence me lurking for MONTHS, if truth be told :o). Dogs have always been a huge part of my life and knowing that there is a possibility of a dog somehow being able to help my child ... wow, I'm blown away! I would be honoured to have one in our life!

Miriam

Miriam:

You aren't kidding, I would rather work with my special needs kids than some of the "normal" ones. I learn something new from them every day. And your daughter is so right. I use to be just like you, on overload, had to get everything done, spinning in circles not getting anything done right. Well, I have changed. And talk about resourceful, my little guys and gals can get it done, it may not be the conventional way, but don't even get in their way. I certainly hope you get a dog for your daughter. I can't even believe they are saying your daughter wouldn't be a good match. I say why don't they give it a try. I'm all about, "If you don't ask, you definately won't get it, if you do ask, you have a 50/50 chance." I feel the same way about a dog for your daughter. If they don't even let you try, well then............

Roz:

We met a gentlemen camping once that had the cuttest little labradoodle. She was jet black and had that beautiful Brenny shine, about small to medium height, curly hair and her name was Ebony. She would lay in Papa's arms for hours like a baby. But put her down and she was a ham. In everyones business, strutting around with that smart*zz attitude! Like we know who!

Nancy