Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Roz .. If I have a new avatar pic ... ITS JUST FOR YOU and brenny of course !!!! i just have to figure it out LOL

my 10 cents on most common SD breeds and grooming

labs - will shed 2x a year they blow out their coat and make way for a new coat ... mine sheds some but not terrible

golden retrievers- will SHED !!!! not terrible but sometimes more than a lab they too will blow their coat out 2x a year

golden lab cross- just expect a little of both

ALL service dogs will need regular brushing and bathing I bathe Denver every 2-4 weeks . FLEA CONTROL IS A MUST !!!!! goldens can use more brusing than a lab and for me i NEVER brush Denver ... only once in a blue moon .... if you keep up on bathing a lab you wont need to brush as much .... I have herd ( not the gospel but i have herd and agree ) the more you brush a dog the more they shed ... it stimulates coat growth and that in turn stimulates more hair to be shed .

NOW-

Poodles will need grooming at the groomers for hair cuts every 6-8 weeks ... they have hair so they dont shed really ... they do not have FUR ... it is haur like yours and mine ... they need regular daily brusing to avoid mats in their hair .... bathing etc is same as a lab or golden or LGX ( lab golden cross )

Doodles ( labradoodles and golden doodles ) same as a poodle they too will need to go to a groomer maybe a little less often than a poodle but they still need to go and also need daily brushing ......

groomers can be COSTLY so let that be a deciding factor ... can you afford a 45-60 dollar haircut for your dog every 6-10 weeks .....

good luck and I know youll get the right dog to meet your desires of grooming !!!!

Cari and Denver

ps ROZ I WANT TO GO TO ALASKA SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD help me convince my hubby !!!!!

Thanks for the shedding info!!! Blowing coat 2 times a year, I can handle with regular brushing. Grooming does not scare me at all - afterall, I've had high maintenance breeds for the last 15 years. Kerries and Wheatens will mat in a second too (not as bad as poodles mind you) as they have hair too. After spending many $$ on professional grooming, I decided to try it myself and, if I do say so myself (with much modesty :o), I am pretty good with their respective clips.

My current guy has to be bathed weekly right now to help keep a skin issue under control - he hates it but I love a sweet smelling dog!!!;)

Miriam

PS. I LOVE the avatar!!!!! And can I go to Alaska too??? (but not now because we are virtually like Alaska with all of the snow and cold!)

Okay, here is a deal for you for ALASKA

This opportunity landed in my inbox this morning.

Cruise to Alaska this May for $499 round trip from Seattle -BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE- a shipboard credit brings it down to $399 for a 7 night cruise. You can't even stay in a decent hotel for that price - not to mentioned all the meals are included as well as entertainment!

Must book by 1/30/09 email me and I would forward the info to respect the no advertising policy.

Here is a picture of Bailey doing her Read 2 Rover work. She goes to the library and the kids read to her out loud. She doesn't judge them or laugh if the stumble over a word. You can't believe how much their reading improves every week. OMG, I am so sorry I don't know how to make it smaller:o

?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=11f263998f880ffd

Cari: What a great picture of Denver and the Captain. He's such a beautiful boy. And, I can truly attest to that....becuase I saw him. He's tall/blonde and handsome!

I think, unless you have the Captain's email address, where would you send it?

Come-on; Mexico in April or Alaska in September. I've given you several choices. Talk your guy into it! You're a pretty convincing gal, I know you can do it!

Miriam: I can't shear Brenny...she's double-coated, with the most lusterous, black, shiney fur (thank you, Salmon Oil!) She looks and feels like a teddy bear. All the other dogs, in her class, had flat-single coats. She has fur that won't quit. And, she's a pure black Lab. Just "double-coated!"

Darcie: I can't see the picture....but, I love the concept of children reading to the "Read 2 Rover", what a fabulous idea!

That deal to Alaska is very good. We also got a great fare on the "two-for-one"....It was $1339pp-Discounted $920-which came to $419pp. Give me a break.....I love it!!!!!

>>>>>We'd love to sail with all of you guys, with or without an SD. Although, cruising with an SD is amazing!!!!! :) >>>>>>

FYI: For those of you looking for information on parking at pier in Seattle.

Information On Cruise Parking Seattle, Washington

We offer two convenient parking locations with special week long cruise parking rates. $12.00 per day. Princess is at Terminal 30. At: 2431 E. Marginal Way, Seattle.

General Information:

• There is no need and no way to reserve a specific spot. There is always plenty of room.
  • Disabled spaces are available, but these do tend to fill up quickly. If you require the use of a disabled space, please plan to arrive early. Like general parking, these spaces cannot be reserved in advance.
  • Prices do not reflect a non-refundable $2.00 processing fee.
  • For information on identification documentation requirements please click here to visit the Department of State website.

Note: Princess passengers enter through Gate#4 ONLY. Go to baggage drop-off signs, before you take a ticket and enter the intereior parking lot.

NO RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. The Pre-Pay option speeds up your exit time and is only available through their website.

Parking is located directly inside the terminal, with each space only 50-200 ft. from the cruise ship.

I'm not going to pre-reserve, it's not necessary, there's lots of parking and the Handicapped spots are all on a first-come-first-served basis, anyway.

Now, I'm going to get information on hotels and a map for small cities South of Seattle.

We'll just get there early and wait at the pier. I prefer that than riding around searching for a spot and feeling rushed.

DSCF1077.JPGThis is Bailey working in the Read 2 Rover program. We go to the library once a week to find children lined up out the community room door. About twelve dogs (with their human partners) are scattered about the room. Sizes range from a little Yorkie to a big

Collie and everything in between.

The children sit next to the first available dog with a book they have picked out. They tell the dog what they are going to read and sometimes what happened in their day or what kind of dog they have at home. Then they start reading. The reading levels range from letter recognition to reading adult books.

If it is the child's first time to the program, they are given a bookmark with one of the dogs pictures at the top. For every book they read out loud, they receive a paw stamp on their bookmark. When they collect 10 stamps, they are rewarded with a free book to take home.

Bailey is very patient and likes to put her head on the reader's lap. She never rushes them or laughs if they stumble on a word. The humans are told to just be there and not interact unless the child asks for help. It seems that 90% of the time, a child struggling with a word given enough time, will sound it out themselves (okay, I can't keep quiet then, I have to say something like, good job or you're right!). I am surprised how much improvement there is week to week.

FYI: For those of you looking for information on parking at pier in Seattle.

Information On Cruise Parking Seattle, Washington

We offer two convenient parking locations with special week long cruise parking rates. $12.00 per day. Princess is at Terminal 30. At: 2431 E. Marginal Way, Seattle.

General Information:

• There is no need and no way to reserve a specific spot. There is always plenty of room.
  • Disabled spaces are available, but these do tend to fill up quickly. If you require the use of a disabled space, please plan to arrive early. Like general parking, these spaces cannot be reserved in advance.
  • Prices do not reflect a non-refundable $2.00 processing fee.
  • For information on identification documentation requirements please click here to visit the Department of State website.

Note: Princess passengers enter through Gate#4 ONLY. Go to baggage drop-off signs, before you take a ticket and enter the intereior parking lot.

NO RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. The Pre-Pay option speeds up your exit time and is only available through their website.

Parking is located directly inside the terminal, with each space only 50-200 ft. from the cruise ship.

I'm not going to pre-reserve, it's not necessary, there's lots of parking and the Handicapped spots are all on a first-come-first-served basis, anyway.

Now, I'm going to get information on hotels and a map for small cities South of Seattle.

We'll just get there early and wait at the pier. I prefer that than riding around searching for a spot and feeling rushed.

Hi Roz,

I just started lurking on this board (don't have a SD but love the doggie pix!) and I'm glad I did! I'm sure you would have found out before you go but Terminal 30 is no more. Beginning this year Princess will be sailing out of our shiny new passenger terminal at Pier 91 at the north end of town. You can see some preliminary information here: http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/ and I'm sure they'll be updating it as crusing time gets closer!

Just let me know if you'd like any information about Seattle (where to stay, what to do etc.). I'd be happy to help!

Kathi

Hi Roz,

I just started lurking on this board (don't have a SD but love the doggie pix!) and I'm glad I did! I'm sure you would have found out before you go but Terminal 30 is no more. Beginning this year Princess will be sailing out of our shiny new passenger terminal at Pier 91 at the north end of town. You can see some preliminary information here: http://www.portseattle.org/seaport/cruise/ and I'm sure they'll be updating it as crusing time gets closer!

Just let me know if you'd like any information about Seattle (where to stay, what to do etc.). I'd be happy to help!

Kathi

Kathi: Welcome! You life saver you!!!!! Thank you for updating us.....Boy, nothing worse than going into a strange town and getting lost! Especially, before a cruise!

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions...I have to go into a meeting now but on Monday I will start with all my good questions.....I'm just warning you! ;)

Kathi, thanks for that great info. Nothing worse then stressing out about getting there and finding parking.:eek: You just saved a bunch of people additional stress. :)

Roz, they probably have a reading program near you. Check with Delta Society. In addition to being my service dog, Bailey is also a registered therapy dog. I like to do this, as since my disablity, I have been feeling like I didn't have a lot to offer the community.

Hey, maybe next time we go on a cruise we can talk to the kids activity director and see if they would like us to come in to read for an hour.

Oh, that is the other thing, they limited to an hour as the dogs get tired; that is also about my stamina limit.

Darcie:

What a great thing you do with Bailey! I've heard of the program before but didn't know anymore about it. Thanks for the info. And they say animals are worthless....:mad: Also, I bet the kids don't laugh at Bailey and tell her, her vest makes her butt look big! :D I still laugh about that. She looks like she is so intent on listening and prodding them along. Hubby saw something recently that said cat owners live longer, I'm hoping. My mom has two cats and shes 86, guess somethings working.

Roz:

We've threatened to save Reno's hair and donate to someone or something. That boy sheds all year. He doesn't like to be brushed at all. When we brought him home at 6 weeks, he would bark and jump on any broom you tried to use. He has out grown the jumping on it, but still barks. I guess the brush reminds him of a broom. I have had him Hydro-bathed several times. It is wonderful, he comes home more handsome than ever and the hair is actually controllable at that time. Kinda of pricey though. I did buy a brush/comb thingy that is made of soft rubber, it gets a lot of hair off and he doesn't mind it too much. But as long as I keep brushing, his keeps coming off.....

Cari:

That is an adorable picture of Denver and the Captain! What a lucky guy, well both of them, actually. :D

Nancy

Miriam:

And talk about resourceful, my little guys and gals can get it done, it may not be the conventional way, but don't even get in their way.

Nancy

I so had to laugh at the not so conventional comment - Hannah does puzzles from the inside out!!!! And since I am so puzzle challenged myself, well, she is my hero :) Yup, these kids are amazing and so think outside of the box. Her kindergarten teacher told me that she see her as ultimately as a highly respected paleontologist who freelances with different museums getting their bones together - yup, she could do that. Gee, did I mention she LOVES dinos?? :D

I'm still working on the SD front. One trait I do own (and it probably explains my love of tenacious terriers) is that I don't give up - ever! I'm now talking with a well respected organization in Ontario that trains SD's specifically for kids with autism. I'll keep you updated!

Miriam

DSCF1077.JPGThis is Bailey working in the Read 2 Rover program. We go to the library once a week to find children lined up out the community room door. About twelve dogs (with their human partners) are scattered about the room. Sizes range from a little Yorkie to a big

Collie and everything in between.

The children sit next to the first available dog with a book they have picked out. They tell the dog what they are going to read and sometimes what happened in their day or what kind of dog they have at home. Then they start reading. The reading levels range from letter recognition to reading adult books.

If it is the child's first time to the program, they are given a bookmark with one of the dogs pictures at the top. For every book they read out loud, they receive a paw stamp on their bookmark. When they collect 10 stamps, they are rewarded with a free book to take home.

Bailey is very patient and likes to put her head on the reader's lap. She never rushes them or laughs if they stumble on a word. The humans are told to just be there and not interact unless the child asks for help. It seems that 90% of the time, a child struggling with a word given enough time, will sound it out themselves (okay, I can't keep quiet then, I have to say something like, good job or you're right!). I am surprised how much improvement there is week to week.

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM!!!!!! I know as a child, I would have been begging my mom to take me. Bailey is beautiful!!! Is she a whippet? Or Greyhound? (thinking the former though) - do tell me about Bailey please. Yet another group of dogs I love!

Miriam

kerrytens - autism on the seas has multiple people on board to assist you. They organize private get togethers, private dinning, talk to the kids club staff and prepare them. They join you at meals, have private tours, and help you as much as you want. I have seen a few kids (including mine) chose to sit with the staff at shows and meals. When we go with them, they are part of our vacation, not just our travel agent, but you chose how much you want them involved. My son has become great friends with them and sends them cards and e-mails them. They are awesome and you can always contact me off list @ Heather@ autism on the go . com (of course no spaces)

Ok, the furminator is awesome. It removes the undercoat only. It can take some time to do. You just want to make sure you brush lightly with the coat. Chewy and all the cats love it. There is much less fur covering our house. There is a special at PetSmart right now and you get free shampoo, conditioner and a microfiber towel with the furminator.

From what I have heard Canada has amazing service dog programs. The main one for children with autism, National Service Dogs, is not taking applications right now. I would check with ADI and see what schools are listed with them.

Autism on the Seas sounds awesome for sure - even more so after your description. I was looking through the RCCL website for a cruise I would like to take my daughter on and I found one (gee, surprise!). I will be contacting them for sure if the funds will come together ;)

I have been told by the director of NSD in Canada to watch the site all the time and apply immediately. We have emailed each other so there is that possibility. There are also others I'm persuing too so keep your fingers (and paws!) crossed :D I will also check out your recommendation about ADI too! Thanks

Miriam (who BTW is so proud of her daughter tonight after losing a top tooth and not freaking out about it!!! Good job chickie!!)

Miriam;

That is very interesting about Hannah and puzzles. I find my Special kids sit and put the puzzle together, without help. They just keep turning the pieces until they fit. The other kids give up, after about 2 trys and say "I can't do it, you do it!" There is definately something magical going on up there in their precious little minds. I also find that my autism kids are not as stubborn as my downs syndrome ones. They all love books and me reading to them, though. My little autism girl can make most animal sounds and does well with words with the letter "p". I know each one is unique in their abilities. I could go on and on, but grandson just informed me it is 7:00 and time for him to eat. He is 5 going on 20, sometimes and on 2 sometimes!

Nancy

Roz, they probably have a reading program near you. Check with Delta Society. In addition to being my service dog, Bailey is also a registered therapy dog. I like to do this, as since my disablity, I have been feeling like I didn't have a lot to offer the community.

Hey, maybe next time we go on a cruise we can talk to the kids activity director and see if they would like us to come in to read for an hour.

Oh, that is the other thing, they limited to an hour as the dogs get tired; that is also about my stamina limit.

Andar, first off you are far from being someone who has little to offer the community!!! (and, gee, I just met you :D). I absolutely commend you for getting out there with kids. Bravo!!!

And as for talking to the activity director of your next cruise, OMG, as a parent I would be THRILLED to have someone with a registered therapy dog be there for my child in some way. I love this idea!

Miriam

Miriam;

That is very interesting about Hannah and puzzles. I find my Special kids sit and put the puzzle together, without help. They just keep turning the pieces until they fit. The other kids give up, after about 2 trys and say "I can't do it, you do it!" There is definately something magical going on up there in their precious little minds. I also find that my autism kids are not as stubborn as my downs syndrome ones. They all love books and me reading to them, though. My little autism girl can make most animal sounds and does well with words with the letter "p". I know each one is unique in their abilities. I could go on and on, but grandson just informed me it is 7:00 and time for him to eat. He is 5 going on 20, sometimes and on 2 sometimes!

Nancy

Pretty sure I was one of those kids who gave up and said 'you do it' considering how terrible I am at puzzles!!! I am challenged with the 12 piece ones she mastered at the age of 2 for goodness sake :o

Your grandson is priceless!!! OMG, your description - 5 going on 20 and sometime 2 :D:D

Kathi: Welcome! You life saver you!!!!! Thank you for updating us.....Boy, nothing worse than going into a strange town and getting lost! Especially, before a cruise!

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions...I have to go into a meeting now but on Monday I will start with all my good questions.....I'm just warning you! ;)

Roz (and Andar),

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm happy to answer any Seattle questions now and as the trip gets closer. Are any others going on this sailing or just Roz? We just had to cancel our May Caribbean Princess voyage so maybe we'll join in too if our personal economy is looking up by then.

You have such a great community going. I'm (temporarily, as we all are) able-bodied so haven't had the privilege of partnering with a service animal but I've loved reading your stories! This thread has really made the dogs "come alive" for me. They're not always "superdogs" and they have their off-moments and idiosyncrasies (as we all do).

Finally, hope you all don't mind if I post a pic of my tribe. Sorry about the "devil dog" eyes. Toby, the chocolate lab is five and Tyler, the yellow, is nearly three. They're actually half-brothers (same dad, different moms). And in the background is Touchdown the cat who at 14 is the boss of everyone!

Kathi

DSCN0795.jpg.4daa9a7f431b7ebffc8feebcb3f26aef.jpg

Kathi;

Are you kidding me? If you have been lurking, then you already know, the only requirement on this thread is that you post pictures of your furbabies! And, a congratulations that you have, not 1 lab, but 2, under 5 years old!:D I always told hubby, Reno needed a playmate that had 4 legs instead of him! He just couldn't grasp it. Everyday I came home from work, he said, "You have to find Reno a home." He didn't mean it, the labs are really high maintenance when it comes to companionship, as you already know, I am sure. :o

Nancy

dvdfreakmc - How was Wicked? I am debating taking my son, but always worry how it will go.

Cameron enjoyed it, but I think we liked it better. Susan and I LOVE Wicked and have seen it several times, but only once with Cameron. We are always ready to jump up and out if he can't make it through a longer session like that, but we keep going and he can last longer each time. That's why the accessible seating has really worked for us, since it is easy to get out in a flash. Cameron has seen several shows including Les Mis, which was his favorite (I think it was the cannon that he liked) I remember the first time we went to a theme park and I wasn't sure we would make it or what Cameron would do, but then a change happens, when he produces out much more than I think he is capable of and gets through more than I think he has the capacity for. I always think of it as a miracle unfolding. Yeah, when we try new things and places, sometimes it doesn't always go as we expect, or it is something that doesn't grab his attention, but more times than not, Cameron exceeds our expectations which makes it worth going or trying "the new".

Autism on the seas sounds really neat and a great group to travel with.

For those heading on the Alaska cruise from Seattle with an SD, if you are looking for a downtown dog park for "release time" there is an off leash park at 3rd street which is just a few blocks from the waterfront.

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/offleash_detail.asp?id=336

If Princess has switched to Pier 91, that's great. We love staying on the waterfront and have always had a good time at the Marriott Waterfront, which is right across the street. Also very close to all the waterfront attractions. Pike's Place Market is very close, and don't miss going there on cruise day to grab a huge bunch of flowers to take onboard - they SOO much brighten a room that it literally makes me think I am staying in a suite. You can grab flowers for right around 10 bucks. The Marriott has a downtown shuttle that will take you anywhere you want to go. Also has a Todd English restaurant onsite - Yummy!

Animal Assisted Therapy is offered by the orginization I volunteer with. I take a SD in training to visit the local Children's hospital to assist in the rehab program, also visit the children who are admitted for seizure monitering. Many of the dogs I work with are placed as seizure response dogs, so this is a good educational opportunity. I also visit the special education students at my local high school. These kids like to read to the dog I bring. At the elemenary level the dogs participate in a regular reading program similar what Bailey is doing. It is a win win opportunity for the dogs in trainining. They get exposed to a different environment and the children get the benefit of a canine visit. Everyone loves these dogs.

If Princess has switched to Pier 91, that's great. We love staying on the waterfront and have always had a good time at the Marriott Waterfront, which is right across the street. Also very close to all the waterfront attractions. Pike's Place Market is very close, and don't miss going there on cruise day to grab a huge bunch of flowers to take onboard - they SOO much brighten a room that it literally makes me think I am staying in a suite. You can grab flowers for right around 10 bucks. The Marriott has a downtown shuttle that will take you anywhere you want to go. Also has a Todd English restaurant onsite - Yummy!

Hi Peter and family,

I think you're thinking of the Bell Street Pier (Pier 66) which is right across the street from the Mariott. Pier 91 is brand new (not even completed yet) and is about 4-5 miles further north. For 2009, Norwegian and Celebrity will sail out of Pier 66 and Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America will sail out of Pier 91.

There aren't any hotels in the Pier 91 area so the Mariott is still a great suggestion for a place to stay. The Edgewater is also nearby; it's built on a pier right on the Sound and is the hotel the Beatles made famous when they fished out the window of their suite! In addition to Pike Market (a must-see--make sure you watch them throw the fish), Seattle's newly-remodeled aquarium and the Olympic Sculpture garden are within blocks of either hotel. And don't even get me started on the great restaurants in the neighborhood! If anyone wants recommendations, let me know.

Kathi (your willing Seattle virtual tour guide)

OMG: What an AMAZING thread.....I'm on sensory; emotional and above all spiritual overload. You guys make my heart sing.

Every one of these boards could learn so much from all of you! Hopefully, they are!

Kathi, you're a life saver. The information you've provided is wonderful. Terminal 91 is definitely where I need to be and the information for it won't be online until the end of February. I'll check back again then. You're "heads up" was very welcomed!

Since we're driving, we'd like to stay in a small town south of Seattle the night before and drive in the morning of the cruise, going directly to the ship.

And, when we disembark we'll take our time to adventure around the city and explore more of Seattle, then.

After some research we thought we'd stay in Tukwila. The hotel is lovely and it seems like a nice "bedroom" community. What's your thoughts and/or suggestions.

Again, thank you for any information you can provide.

Now back to our SD's.....I do believe that animals help in providing a calm, loving environment which helps in healing and longevity.

I think bringing the dogs into the children's area while cruising is an excellent idea....I must remember to speak to the crew about this in April and again in September.

I know I'd love to show the kids what Brenda can do and it would certainly answer some of the questions they have while they pass me in the halls, on deck and anywhere else on the ship. And, they, in turn, can help their parents to understand the many service's that these dogs perform.

We had a little autistic girl who came to the center where I work. She would not speak a word until the Psychologist who was seeing her parents had an idea and asked if she could borrow Brenda.....long story short after 2 weeks with therapy with Brenda, she started to speak.....I get teared-up when I think about it now.

Many people in my building ask for "time" with Brenda, when they're feeling stressed......I'm going to start charging.....just kidding! I totally "get it!"

Awwww! What a great way to start my Monday morning. Thanks everyone!

Hi Peter and family,

I think you're thinking of the Bell Street Pier (Pier 66) which is right across the street from the Mariott. Pier 91 is brand new (not even completed yet) and is about 4-5 miles further north. For 2009, Norwegian and Celebrity will sail out of Pier 66 and Princess, Royal Caribbean and Holland America will sail out of Pier 91.

There aren't any hotels in the Pier 91 area so the Mariott is still a great suggestion for a place to stay. The Edgewater is also nearby; it's built on a pier right on the Sound and is the hotel the Beatles made famous when they fished out the window of their suite! In addition to Pike Market (a must-see--make sure you watch them throw the fish), Seattle's newly-remodeled aquarium and the Olympic Sculpture garden are within blocks of either hotel. And don't even get me started on the great restaurants in the neighborhood! If anyone wants recommendations, let me know.

Kathi (your willing Seattle virtual tour guide)

Kathi, you are so right. Thanks for the information -- and for popping in for comments! Sorry all for the "mis" information. I know that when we stayed at the Marriott, their shuttle took us to the old pier, way down south for HAL, so I would think that they might take to the new one even if it is a few miles away.

When I was a kid (lived in Victoria), we used to come over to Seattle and my favorite was the "Old Curiousity Shop", which back in the day used to be a mix between Ripley's and a 5 and dime. I know it was redone years ago into more of the tourist trap, but we still take Cameron to look at the strange and wonderful within it's walls when we are in town. The other thing we used to do in Seattle was go to the Sears Bargain Basement, but that is LONG gone.

Edited by dvdfreakmc

OMG: What an AMAZING thread.....I'm on sensory; emotional and above all spiritual overload. You guys make my heart sing.

Every one of these boards could learn so much from all of you! Hopefully, they are!

Kathi, you're a life saver. The information you've provided is wonderful. Terminal 91 is definitely where I need to be and the information for it won't be online until the end of February. I'll check back again then. You're "heads up" was very welcomed!

Since we're driving, we'd like to stay in a small town south of Seattle the night before and drive in the morning of the cruise, going directly to the ship.

And, when we disembark we'll take our time to adventure around the city and explore more of Seattle, then.

After some research we thought we'd stay in Tukwila. The hotel is lovely and it seems like a nice "bedroom" community. What's your thoughts and/or suggestions.

Again, thank you for any information you can provide.

Now back to our SD's.....I do believe that animals help in providing a calm, loving environment which helps in healing and longevity.

I think bringing the dogs into the children's area while cruising is an excellent idea....I must remember to speak to the crew about this in April and again in September.

I know I'd love to show the kids what Brenda can do and it would certainly answer some of the questions they have while they pass me in the halls, on deck and anywhere else on the ship. And, they, in turn, can help their parents to understand the many service's that these dogs perform.

We had a little autistic girl who came to the center where I work. She would not speak a word until the Psychologist who was seeing her parents had an idea and asked if she could borrow Brenda.....long story short after 2 weeks with therapy with Brenda, she started to speak.....I get teared-up when I think about it now.

Many people in my building ask for "time" with Brenda, when they're feeling stressed......I'm going to start charging.....just kidding! I totally "get it!"

Awwww! What a great way to start my Monday morning. Thanks everyone!

Awesome story and making me tear remembering virtually the same experience when Cameron received Werin. What a wonderful gift!

If memory serves I think I stayed at a Residence Inn in Tukwila or at least close to there. Nice area.

Edited by dvdfreakmc