Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks Roz and DisneyDad,

It sure makes sense that the dogs/families need to be tested on a regular basis. Yet another thing I've learned here!!!

Now, here is a doggie question - my Finn, 13 years young, has always been a super healthy guy up until a little over year ago when he started to be plagued with yeast infections on his skin. His worst episode was the first when his skin literally looked like ground beef :eek:. We got it all cleared up nicely - or so we thought. But it just keeps reoccuring (thankfully not even close to being as bad). I've had test after test done on him to find the root cause but every test comes back normal/negative. We do know it's yeast and not some other nasty beasty thing.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with yeast infections on their doggies??? What did you do?

Miriam

Miriam;

No Reno just licks and licks his front legs and paws. Doctor prescribed Benedryl for that. Works pretty good, but he has episodes, like right now. He gets small brownish spots on his fur, where he licks but they go away. Very bizarre. Good luck, wouldn't want a "hamburger" looking furbaby wondering around. :(

Nancy

Same here - I had no idea that the dogs have to be tested every year. Can I ask what happens if a dog does not pass (not possible with any of the guys on this list :) but ...)???

Miriam

Actually we are ususally on pins and needles on these tests, and do special practice at the mall before the test, because after our two week training at our end of class mall test, Werin ate something under one of the benches -- supposed to be an automatic fail, but the instructors scheduled us for an earlier re-test date and we think took pity on us, since we had worked really hard in class. Since Cameron is mobile, they had a talk with us before the test about whether a dog that was a "little more active" (i.e. a little more to handle) or a less active dog would work better. We picked the more active dog, which we think now was code for - "Werin may not have been placed with an individual in a chair or moble assistance situation." because she is more active minded.

We then came back for the 6 month test, then one year, and will have our 3 year test in 2010. She has worked out great, but gave us a really big scare at that first test.

Happy Valentine's Day -- we all went out last night for Valentines Day after all going to a movie (Coraline in 3D) and Werin did really well - no eating under the table for her. ha, ha.

Some times I think our Labs are like vacuum cleaners. Reno just scoops it up and swallows whatever it is, so what pleasure does he get out of it? Its not like it was a treat and it tasted good, he didn't even taste it. Some times he does get things in his mouth, then does the lock jaw thing. You would need a tow truck to pry his mouth open! Kitty and grandsons toys are specially good! But wouldn't trade the chow hounds for anything!

Nancy

Werin is my kind of gal!!!!! And, she's "wired" just like Brenny. Brenny could not be handled by her orginal "person" (in a wheelchair-she was always foreging and tugging at the leash), she was way too food motivated and just filled with energy (still is!) She was sent from Oceanside to Santa Rosa because the woman just couldn't control her (this was after 3 months-a lifetime for a dog).....very sad for Brenda (because she started to "bond" and then had to be shuffled around) :o.....

CCI decided to take this amazingly alert dog and redirect her.....they knew she would need a very "strong", "persistent" and "consistant" handler! They also knew that she needed tons of love and reassurance, afterall, she had gone home with someone, learned this person's habits and was then rejected.

They did the smart thing by moving her out of the environment of Oceanside...move her to a new place...where she could literally "start over!" CCI is very wise about dog behavior and what's best for the dog!

She's a genious now....Oh! She's still a bit overwhelming in the "spirit" department and will literally pull me off my feet to reach for something on the ground......we're still working on that one! :rolleyes: Let's see....she's 9 now....maybe by the time she's 12 she'll get it!!!!!! OR NOT! :(

When I correct her.....she gives me a look of "Oh! God!", "What have I done?", "I'm so, so sorry!" She can be re-directed and can behave absolutely PERFECTLY, when needed to! Hence, the reason I adore her!

I just don't like her to do anything "OFF" in public.....

I know what a "character" she is and how she needs the time and space to "let loose"......I allow for that "character whithin" to come out and have some fun.....afterall, it's really who I am too!!!!! ;)

Roz: Thats why we love em. They have individual personalities, but similar traits. Like the vacuum nose I mentioned. Reno was never socialized properly. He was home with dad for probably his first 8 years. Not a lot of company, so when people come over he just mauls them with kisses and rubs and it is embarassing. Haven't been able to get that under control.....We always work on it though.

Now, on my way to work, 2 different yards. One has a chocolate lab that lays out in the sun, stretched as long as she can just soaking it up. Beautiful girl. Second yard has a dalmation that is all spotted like he suppose to be, but on his butt he has a solid, big black circle, then the first half of his tail is solid black and the bottom half is solid white. Kind of like his coloring was done before mama pushed him out. What a cutie, though.

Nancy

Roz: Thats why we love em. They have individual personalities, but similar traits. Like the vacuum nose I mentioned. Reno was never socialized properly. He was home with dad for probably his first 8 years. Not a lot of company, so when people come over he just mauls them with kisses and rubs and it is embarassing. Haven't been able to get that under control.....We always work on it though.

Now, on my way to work, 2 different yards. One has a chocolate lab that lays out in the sun, stretched as long as she can just soaking it up. Beautiful girl. Second yard has a dalmation that is all spotted like he suppose to be, but on his butt he has a solid, big black circle, then the first half of his tail is solid black and the bottom half is solid white. Kind of like his coloring was done before mama pushed him out. What a cutie, though.

Nancy

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Now, a cruise question.....We'll be going to Alaska in September and I need advice on the best ports for walking off the ship (with Brenny and Morey) and, just exploring on our own.....Please feel free to advise me!

We're doing the Inside Passage; Skagway, Juno, Ketchikan...I know I'll need to be prepared for wet weather....what else?

I think Sitka is the best to just get off the ship and walk around.

It is a small town so you can see all of it.

Next would be Ketchikan.

But look through the excursions and see what sounds interesting and then go from there. Even though I don't pay for the excursions most of the time, the information I use to plan what I want to see.

Roz, we may be in a port at the same time. My cruise leaves S.F. on the first for 10 days. I see you are on the Golden, I am on Sea Princess here is the itinerary

Arrival Departure

1 San Francisco, California 4:00 PM

2 At Sea

3 At Sea

4 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

5 Juneau, Alaska 8:00 AM 10:00 PM

6 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:00 PM

7 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) 5:00 AM 10:00 AM

8 At Sea

9 Victoria, British Columbia 6:00 AM 2:00 PM

10 At Sea

11 San Francisco, California

Edited by Andar

I think Sitka is the best to just get off the ship and walk around.

It is a small town so you can see all of it.

Next would be Ketchikan.

But look through the excursions and see what sounds interesting and then go from there. Even though I don't pay for the excursions most of the time, the information I use to plan what I want to see.

Roz, we may be in a port at the same time. My cruise leaves S.F. on the first for 10 days. I see you are on the Golden, I am on Sea Princess here is the itinerary

Arrival Departure

1 San Francisco, California 4:00 PM

2 At Sea

3 At Sea

4 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 AM 3:00 PM

5 Juneau, Alaska 8:00 AM 10:00 PM SEATTLE

6 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 AM 8:00 PM AT SEA

7 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) 5:00 AM 10:00 AM JUNEAU

8 At Sea SKAGWAY

9 Victoria, British Columbia 6:00 AM 2:00 PM TRACY ARM

10 At Sea KETCHIKAN

11 San Francisco, California

VICTORIA

Darcie....It looks like we'll truly be "ships passing in the night"......It would have been fun to see each other on land some where......

VICTORIA

Darcie....It looks like we'll truly be "ships passing in the night"......It would have been fun to see each other on land some where......

Roz and Andar,

I so envy your trips to Alaska! Despite being from the frozen north, an Alaskan cruise has always been on my wish list - and that was even before I knew how much I love being on a ship :rolleyes:

I do notice you are only in Victoria for a short while - too bad, prettiest city in Canada in my mind! Of course there are many other lovely ports on your itineraries so no worries ;)

Miriam

Hey Roz. I was on the 10 day Voyage of the Glaciers abt 18 months ago. It was fabulous. I did write a review, but let me rethink a few things, and then I'll let you know my opinion of the ports of call. We had no tender ports, and their was pretty good transportation in each port. Are you thinking in terms of Brenda or in terms of wheel chair accessability?

By the way, last week I worked with a 10 month old "flat coated" retriever. He was so sweet, and very smart. Had a single coat, so he was dry super fast after his bath. I really enjoyed him, his face looked more like a setter than a retriever. Kind of like he got squoooshed long ways. He went with me to high school, to middle school, grocery shopping, shoe shopping, target shopping, laundry detail......... Was terrific. Expect he will do very well with his SD tests.

By the way, last week I worked with a 10 month old "flat coated" retriever. He was so sweet, and very smart. Had a single coat, so he was dry super fast after his bath. I really enjoyed him, his face looked more like a setter than a retriever. Kind of like he got squoooshed long ways. He went with me to high school, to middle school, grocery shopping, shoe shopping, target shopping, laundry detail......... Was terrific. Expect he will do very well with his SD tests.

OMG, I LOVE flat coated retrievers!!!! Of course I tend to be drawn to the more 'unusual' breeds, shall we say :D

Miriam

PS. Can't wait to hear about that Alaska cruise either ....

Roz and Andar,

I so envy your trips to Alaska! Despite being from the frozen north, an Alaskan cruise has always been on my wish list - and that was even before I knew how much I love being on a ship :rolleyes:

I do notice you are only in Victoria for a short while - too bad, prettiest city in Canada in my mind! Of course there are many other lovely ports on your itineraries so no worries ;)

Miriam

Miriam: Yes, I agree, Victoria is lovely. We were there many years ago.

Princess was offering such a great deal it was unbeatable and an opportunity that was very difficult to pass up!

In these more than troubling times for so many families, I feel very fortunate to be able to take these cruises and feel blessed that I have a wonderful family to enjoy them with!

Miriam: I'm sorry this response is so late about the yeast infection thing.

Brenda was diagnosed with a "yeast infection" in both her ears. The cure nearly killed her.

After many years of my thinking that I was "on top" of her ear cleaning, etc. The doctor examined her on a routine exam and found yeast in both her ears. She was absolutely showing no symptoms. He prescribed Prednisone (we had no idea that she was highly sensitive to this medicine) and she went into "shock!" It was horrible. We literally had to bring her back from death. She couldn't walk/eat/sleep, etc., etc., it was horrible.

It cured her yeast problem but she can no longer take Prednisone. She is now on a maintenance/daily dosage of 50mg Benadryl in the am and 50mg's in the pm and she's doing amazingly well. Not one more symptom of yeast/redness in her ears or eyes and she's a new girl! This is 8 months now......

I place the capsule in her kibble and she downs it with her food. Sometimes she'll leave it behind and, I pick it up; place it in a roll of cheese and waahlah!

Miriam: I'm sorry this response is so late about the yeast infection thing.

Brenda was diagnosed with a "yeast infection" in both her ears. The cure nearly killed her.

After many years of my thinking that I was "on top" of her ear cleaning, etc. The doctor examined her on a routine exam and found yeast in both her ears. She was absolutely showing no symptoms. He prescribed Prednisone (we had no idea that she was highly sensitive to this medicine) and she went into "shock!" It was horrible. We literally had to bring her back from death. She couldn't walk/eat/sleep, etc., etc., it was horrible.

It cured her yeast problem but she can no longer take Prednisone. She is now on a maintenance/daily dosage of 50mg Benadryl in the am and 50mg's in the pm and she's doing amazingly well. Not one more symptom of yeast/redness in her ears or eyes and she's a new girl! This is 8 months now......

I place the capsule in her kibble and she downs it with her food. Sometimes she'll leave it behind and, I pick it up; place it in a roll of cheese and waahlah!

Oh my gosh Brenny!!! Not a good thing to find out the hard way that your pet is allergic to something. Finn is ultra sensitive (I wouldn't go as far as saying allergic but perhaps he is and they are just 'mild' in comparison for him ...) to almost everything out there that doggies are supposed to have. Poor Brenda! It must have been so scary to watch.

My Madison was on high doses of prednisone for the last 6 months of her life - it basically put her lymphoma into complete remission for a quite a while and gave us MANY, MANY more weeks with her! She wasn't supposed to make it 6 weeks (the vet told me 2 to 4 weeks!) after her diagnosis let alone 6 months. It really did a number on her metabolism though. And on her internal organs but we knew it was a trade off of sorts considering the stage she was already in when we found out about her illness. At one point when she was in remission and feeling so great, it really hit home to me when I asked the vet about weaning her off and he said it is keeping her alive now. Eeks! :eek:

Anyway, in my case it was one of those double edged sword drugs - I would have preferred not to have given it to my dog but I was forced to. Not a drug anyone should ever take lightly - and now Brenda is full proof of that!!! Glad that all things are under control now for her :D

Miriam

PS. And sorry, didn't mean to bring this thread down again with my story about Maddie - guess I just need to get stuff out still about her. Honestly, she was a character and a half! Literally my most pack oriented dog ever to the point of separation anxiety but oh so sweet and loving (although in her own super duper exhuberant way!!). I miss the goof!

Oooops, we were on a 7 day cruise to Alaska. Our ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

In Ketchikan was just walked around port. My mom was with us and had gotten woooed into the buy the shopping thing and go to all the jewelry stores of the free stuff. Sucha waste of time, but we tried to be pretty good sports about it. We did get to this fun little section in the back of town. I think it was called crooked creek. The sidewalks might be a bit challenging for a wheelchair, maybe someone else can speak to that. But we had a pretty tasty lunch their. Bought lot's of Salmon stuff to take home(and later I had some more of the canned salmon shippped to my house,ymmmmm), and looked at some native art. We were going to go see the totem village but the jewely scavenger hunt ate up our time. :D

Skagway, we took the train ride thru the mountains. Totally cool and very wheelchair accessible. Fabulous scenery and the trains come right up to the dock.

I'll post later abt Juneau.

Miriam: I love your stories about Maddie and never get tired of reading about them. We ALL share in your love and respect for your dogs, as we feel the same way about ours! They're ALL so, so special in their own unique ways. Thank you so much for sharing her with us! Please don't stop!

Sunshine: Thanks for the "Alaska insights." It's always fun to hear of others experiences, even the not so fun ones! :o

I'm always drawn to the Jewelry stores, etc. But, am always disappointed in one way or another. I won't let that happen in Alaska.....although, the totem poles are definitely a draw!

Oooops, we were on a 7 day cruise to Alaska. Our ports of call were Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

In Ketchikan was just walked around port. My mom was with us and had gotten woooed into the buy the shopping thing and go to all the jewelry stores of the free stuff. Sucha waste of time, but we tried to be pretty good sports about it. We did get to this fun little section in the back of town. I think it was called crooked creek. The sidewalks might be a bit challenging for a wheelchair, maybe someone else can speak to that. But we had a pretty tasty lunch their. Bought lot's of Salmon stuff to take home(and later I had some more of the canned salmon shippped to my house,ymmmmm), and looked at some native art. We were going to go see the totem village but the jewely scavenger hunt ate up our time. :D

Skagway, we took the train ride thru the mountains. Totally cool and very wheelchair accessible. Fabulous scenery and the trains come right up to the dock.

I'll post later abt Juneau.

Can't wait to hear more about Alaska!!! Makes me want to go even more .... but not right now. It is cold and snowy in the frozen north :(

Miriam

Miriam: I love your stories about Maddie and never get tired of reading about them. We ALL share in your love and respect for your dogs, as we feel the same way about ours! They're ALL so, so special in their own unique ways. Thank you so much for sharing her with us! Please don't stop!

Sunshine: Thanks for the "Alaska insights." It's always fun to hear of others experiences, even the not so fun ones! :o

I'm always drawn to the Jewelry stores, etc. But, am always disappointed in one way or another. I won't let that happen in Alaska.....although, the totem poles are definitely a draw!

Thanks Roz!!!

Have I mentioned she was a total BRAT too??? :D:D

And, I'm with you on the jewelry thing too - love them but I'm always disappointed (although I did manage to get my mom a really nice pair of studs in St. Thomas - best part was the very unexpected bartering. I was walking out the door and heard that magic question ... how much do YOU want to spend!!!!! Sweet!)

Miriam

I just got the post card from Princess with the unbelievable Alaska Cruise deals. Where were those two years ago. Yeah, I know. The economy raises it's head. I am hoping it doesn't affect the service dog programs. So far the one I am with is doing well, but they really depend on the big sponsors for much of the $$$.

On our last cruise I found my self imagining myself with a dog or wheel chair and tried to spot the barriers. DH laughed at me when I started to note where the auto doors were and where the big bathrooms were. Then I saw they were already noted on the fold up map Princess gives you.:o

Yikes, I have dogs on the brain, even on vacation.:D

Off to work now. Dogless until next week, so maybe the house pup will get some attention. Goodness knows I need to get out and get some exercise.

Sunshine: I, too, hope that the Service Dog industry is not hit too hard. It will be because the not-for-profit world is going to have an even harder time than ever raising donors interests. I hope it's not too bad for the programs! There are so many that desparately need the services of these amazing animals. We'll see!

Isn't it funny how much of our thinking goes towards different circumstances in life that a dog could help and how the environment can handle their walking with someone in a wheelchair, with a cane or a walker.

I do these scenerios, in my head, all the time.....

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!!!! :)