Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Dianne - hope you hear soon about your new partner, have you had any "clues" at all? It all takes time, I'd no idea before I took this on, just how much work goes on not just with the dogs, but with the humans involved with their training and of course training their future human partner too! As soon as she or he arrives, all this waiting will be more than worth it! :)

My dog is coming from CCI - I was put on the waiting list in February 2014. They told me at that time that the wait can be up to two years. I called in January and confirmed that I am still on the waiting list; they said that I might still have to wait up to another year. Hopefully, it will be sooner. You are right, all the waiting will be worth it in the long run!

Dianne

It's hard waiting isn't it? I hope you get yours very soon.

He needs to do more training as he's only 14 months old. Much also depends on my health (as in whether I need surgery).

Here's a photo of him when he was just a little boy:

puppywatch.jpg

He is so cute. I hope that you don't end up needing surgery.

Dianne

Don't laugh, but last week, while I was browsing Pinterest, I stumbled upon an outfit Pedro just had to have in his cruising wardrobe. It's a captain's tuxedo! Let me see if I can post it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Spring-2014-blue-pet-clothes-handsome-dog-tuxedo-ropa-perro-cool-apparel-for-dogs-wedding-dress/1735819328.html#

Check it out and let me know I am not totally crazy.:p I found it while looking for a Christmas tuxedo for him. Our next cruise will be over the Christmas/New Year holiday. I wanted him to look festive. What do you think?

Cindra

That's the perfect outfit for a cruise!

Dianne

DKD, I tried to search for the post you were talking about but couldn't find it. Hope that person is listening and will respond. Over on Trip Advisor someone whose handle is budgetqueen out of New York mentions how good the service was on Orca Enterprises for a wheelchair, but no mention of a service dog.

Thanks!

Beckie

Where the heck is Roz? She would know who it was. I hope. :rolleyes:

Oh! What a cutie pie!!!

Could this be any cuter? I wish you the very best of luck in your dream coming true and that he will be your hero!

Fairbourne, the story of the woman in the store was so heartwarming. Without Brenda and now Horton, my life would be so different. I can't believe how fate steps in and see's us through!

It was fate that brought Horton and I together when it did. Who knew that I was going to lose Morey and then Brenda soon after. Had it not been for a Big Black Lab named Horton.......I don't think I would have survived the loses.

He has been steadfast in his devotion to me. He checks in on me when I've sat on my bed and cried at the losses of my two dearest companions. He'll lay at my feet and even put his muzzle on one foot to let me know that he's right here with me. Or, he'll jump up on the bed and lay his back against mine in an effort to cuddle me. I'm thankful everyday for my big boy and the warmth and friendship he's brought to me!

I can't thank his PuppyRaiser's enough for the love and devotion they instilled in my Horton and which he's sharing with me now!

Don't laugh, but last week, while I was browsing Pinterest, I stumbled upon an outfit Pedro just had to have in his cruising wardrobe. It's a captain's tuxedo! Let me see if I can post it.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/Spring-2014-blue-pet-clothes-handsome-dog-tuxedo-ropa-perro-cool-apparel-for-dogs-wedding-dress/1735819328.html#

Check it out and let me know I am not totally crazy.:p I found it while looking for a Christmas tuxedo for him. Our next cruise will be over the Christmas/New Year holiday. I wanted him to look festive. What do you think?

Cindra

Who's laughing? I just wish they made it bigger for Horton to wear!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

OK...So now I don't feel so left out in the cruise world. Disney Cruise finally came out with their summer 2016 cruises. And Alaska was there!! My wife called up on Thursday to find out how much out of pocket cash it would be for the cruise after our DVC points. When I got home I called Disney Cruise and found out if the accessible, balcony cabin we wanted was available. It was and we booked it. It's so nice to have a cruise ticker on here!!

Congratulation! I wish Disney would come back to California. I'd love to take my Grands on one of her ships.

Now one of my big things is going on a whale watch. I am almost positive that someone on here did one with Orca Enterprises with someone in a wheelchair and a service dog. If your out there, you can't hide. Speak up and let me know how it went. Thanx!!

If you do book one please tell us about it! We could never do it with Brenda because she was such a "water dog", she loved the sea and the water and my fear was that she would get away from me somehow. Now, Horton could care less about the water and I'm glad!!!!

My dog is coming from CCI - I was put on the waiting list in February 2014. They told me at that time that the wait can be up to two years. I called in January and confirmed that I am still on the waiting list; they said that I might still have to wait up to another year. Hopefully, it will be sooner. You are right, all the waiting will be worth it in the long run!

Dianne

Dianne, don't get discouraged. The wait will be worth it, I promise you!!! You're life will be changed forever! In a very good way!

Where the heck is Roz? She would know who it was. I hope. :rolleyes:

I'm here, getting ready for my 10 day cruise on April 6th. And, trying to clear my desk at work.

My Grandkids have been bugging me to take them on a cruise and I knew that Princess would bore them to death, so I booked a 7 day onboard the Carnival Magic, out of Long Beach. I think they'll get a kick out of the huge water slide and their "Yellow Brick Road" shopping deck. These kids have NEVER cruised before, they're going to have a lot of fun while Grammy & Horty nap in the cabin.

I'm afraid I don't remember who talked about the Orca Adventure with a wheelchair and a dog......totally slips my mind! I don't think it was anybody on our board, you may have seen it somewhere else! Sorry!

I'm here, getting ready for my 10 day cruise on April 6th. And, trying to clear my desk at work.

My Grandkids have been bugging me to take them on a cruise and I knew that Princess would bore them to death, so I booked a 7 day onboard the Carnival Magic, out of Long Beach. I think they'll get a kick out of the huge water slide and their "Yellow Brick Road" shopping deck. These kids have NEVER cruised before, they're going to have a lot of fun while Grammy & Horty nap in the cabin.

I'm afraid I don't remember who talked about the Orca Adventure with a wheelchair and a dog......totally slips my mind! I don't think it was anybody on our board, you may have seen it somewhere else! Sorry!

Roz,

Disney does a 4 night repositioning cruise spring & fall Vancouver to San Diego & San Diego to Vancouver. (Might have got the direction backwards.) I think they are in April & September this year and 2016. Even if I can't get to cruise very soon I can dream...

Beckie

Now one of my big things is going on a whale watch. I am almost positive that someone on here did one with Orca Enterprises with someone in a wheelchair and a service dog. If your out there, you can't hide. Speak up and let me know how it went. Thanx!!

I tried a search too, couldn't find anything ....

Could this be any cuter? I wish you the very best of luck in your dream coming true and that he will be your hero!

Fairbourne, the story of the woman in the store was so heartwarming. Without Brenda and now Horton, my life would be so different. I can't believe how fate steps in and see's us through!

It was fate that brought Horton and I together when it did. Who knew that I was going to lose Morey and then Brenda soon after. Had it not been for a Big Black Lab named Horton.......I don't think I would have survived the loses.

He has been steadfast in his devotion to me. He checks in on me when I've sat on my bed and cried at the losses of my two dearest companions. He'll lay at my feet and even put his muzzle on one foot to let me know that he's right here with me. Or, he'll jump up on the bed and lay his back against mine in an effort to cuddle me. I'm thankful everyday for my big boy and the warmth and friendship he's brought to me!

I can't thank his PuppyRaiser's enough for the love and devotion they instilled in my Horton and which he's sharing with me now!

It was a lovely tail and the lady who told me the story now knows all about Horton Jeffrey too! I tell everyone that ArubA has a great doggy mentor in the US of A called Horton Jeffrey and they all love that these two "write" to each other - either that or they're smiling indulgently at me! ;):D Aruba is a great cuddler too, there is something very special about a doggy hug and I just love her "doggy smell" and I'd better qualify that quickly!!LOL! The lovely doggy smell of warm soft hair on her head (those tufts again!) when we're sitting in the sun and she's sat cuddled right into me - I guess it's like the smell of a new baby - all soft and cuddly!

Fairbourne, speaking of those Aruba tufts....Did any of you watch the Masterpiece Theater 6-episode UK mystery series that aired in the US on PBS recently called "Grantchester"?

The lead character has an adorable black Lab puppy named Dickens, who appears for a minute of two in every episode (I have been catching up on my recorded TV this week.)

The stories set in the 1950s take place in a village near Cambridge, England, and the lead is the very handsome James Norton who plays a crime-solving Anglican Vicar named Sidney Chambers. Based on mystery novels by James Runcie, which are going on my Kindle before our cruise.

I will try to post a link to an online slide show of the Lab...apparently Dickens has quite a few fans. He looks just like Aruba and Raylene!

OK, here's the link to some photos of the Aruba & Raylene look-alike television star from "Grantchester" which has been renewed for another six episodes on British TV this year (probably will show up again next winter 2016 in the US. Same channel as "Downton Abbey.")

[URL="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/slideshow/grantchester-s1-slideshow-dickens/"]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/slideshow/grantchester-s1-slideshow-dickens/[/URL]

I love the show, especially the two lead actors, but of course love Dickens the most. He's in the opening and closing footage for every episode as a tiny puppy bouncing along a country lane following the vicar.

[quote name='Caribbean Chris']Fairbourne, speaking of those Aruba tufts....Did any of you watch the Masterpiece Theater 6-episode UK mystery series that aired in the US on PBS recently called "Grantchester"?

The lead character has an adorable black Lab puppy named Dickens, who appears for a minute of two in every episode (I have been catching up on my recorded TV this week.)

The stories set in the 1950s take place in a village near Cambridge, England, and the lead is the very handsome James Norton who plays a crime-solving Anglican Vicar named Sidney Chambers. Based on mystery novels by James Runcie, which are going on my Kindle before our cruise.

I will try to post a link to an online slide show of the Lab...apparently Dickens has quite a few fans. He looks just like Aruba and Raylene![/QUOTE]

Gorgeous pup and handsome cast! For some reason, we missed this one but I'm sure it will be out on DVD!

For Downton Abbey fans, apparently there will be just one more series ending with a Christmas Special this year - sob, sob, sob! I just love it, it's a great Sunday evening watch before another busy week! Here's a tenuous link - my DH went to school with the chap who wrote Downton Abbey! :p :rolleyes:

[quote name='Insuregal']Roz,
Disney does a 4 night repositioning cruise spring & fall Vancouver to San Diego & San Diego to Vancouver. (Might have got the direction backwards.) I think they are in April & September this year and 2016. Even if I can't get to cruise very soon I can dream...

Beckie[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Beckie, thanks for the suggestion but by the time we got to Vancouver or even San Diego a 4 day cruise would feel like a lot of hassle for nothing.

Once I've packed Horton and me and we're off to somewhere, it had better be for at least a week or more. It's a lot of work for nothing otherwise![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Dianne, don't get discouraged. The wait will be worth it, I promise you!!! You're life will be changed forever! In a very good way![/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thanks Roz - even if I have to wait the two years, I am over half way there!

Dianne

[quote name='fairbourne']Gorgeous pup and handsome cast! For some reason, we missed this one but I'm sure it will be out on DVD!

For Downton Abbey fans, apparently there will be just one more series ending with a Christmas Special this year - sob, sob, sob! I just love it, it's a great Sunday evening watch before another busy week! Here's a tenuous link - my DH went to school with the chap who wrote Downton Abbey! :p :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I am so disappointed that the show ill be ending after this next season. I will miss it.

Dianne

[quote name='fairbourne']Gorgeous pup and handsome cast! For some reason, we missed this one but I'm sure it will be out on DVD!

For Downton Abbey fans, apparently there will be just one more series ending with a Christmas Special this year - sob, sob, sob! I just love it, it's a great Sunday evening watch before another busy week! Here's a tenuous link - my DH went to school with the chap who wrote Downton Abbey! :p :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]I never saw it! I feel so stupid and "out of it" but I never got to enjoy it. I hear so many wonderful things about it and I never partook!!!![/B][/COLOR]

Just wanted to remind service dog partners that the annual, free AVCO National Service Animal Eye Exam opens today for 2015.

Here's the link: [URL="http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/?reload"]http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/?reload[/URL]

Members of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists donate their time every year for a no-cost, no-obligation screening exam for eye problems.

Very easy - just register online, then check the list of participating vets and call in April for a May appointment. Bring along proof of the animal's certification by your service dog training program.

[quote name='Caribbean Chris']Just wanted to remind service dog partners that the annual, free AVCO National Service Animal Eye Exam opens today for 2015.

Here's the link: [URL="http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/?reload"]http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/?reload[/URL]

Members of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists donate their time every year for a no-cost, no-obligation screening exam for eye problems.

Very easy - just register online, then check the list of participating vets and call in April for a May appointment. Bring along proof of the animal's certification by your service dog training program.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][B]Thanks Chris.....IAADP is also offering Advantix [topical] from Bayer to everyone for free. That stuff is so darn expensive and anytime you can prevent fleas and ticks for free, is always a good thing to take advantage of. You MUST be a IAADP member to receive it.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Caribbean Chris']Just wanted to remind service dog partners that the annual, free AVCO National Service Animal Eye Exam opens today for 2015.

Here's the link: [URL]http://www.acvoeyeexam.org/?reload[/URL]

Very easy - just register online, then check the list of participating vets and call in April for a May appointment. Bring along proof of the animal's certification by your service dog training program.[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks Chris,
My wife just sent out the e-mail and got a confirmation that it will be shipped.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]