Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I'm back working with my SD's. I have a 14 month old, very frisky golden retriever at my side. We just spent two hours at a reading program, and she did pretty well, except for trying to eat the corners of the books. oooops. Tomorow a big presentation at the high school. Then a hotel outing to get some of the dogs who are going to training camp next week some last outings and exposures.

Thank you all so much. I knew if anyone would understand it would be you great group of folks. I definately didn't need the "It's only a dog, line that always pops up." Unfortunatlely, I have been so busy with mom and her issues, I have yet to grieve completely. It comes on and the tears flow. I know we will never replace him and he is in a better place.

I am glad for all the friends he has, even the "bratty" ones to teach him goodness knows what! His kitty has been walking around from room to room looking for him, meowing. She is not much of a talker. I am pretty sad about Travis' attitude, he has pretty much blown it off. He said, "Reno always barked at me anyway." I hope he comes to gripes with it or maybe that is his way of dealing with it.

Anyway, hugs to all of you, for you and the furbabies.

Nancy

Dear Nancy,

You're such a giving person--with Travis, your Mom--just remember to take care of yourself also! I second what Roz said about Travis' reaction. He's just coping the best way he knows how.

I'm very glad you came back to post. On the day you posted of Reno's passing, I got an e-mail from Pasado's Safe Haven (http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/about.html), a local rescue organization I help out. They are working with many other public and non-profit agencies to care for nearly 600 :eek: dogs taken from a puppy mill. Nearly 80% of the female dogs rescued are pregnant :eek: :eek: so it's likely there will be almost 1,000 dogs to rehabilitate and find homes for.

Since I don't believe in coincidence, I've made a donation to Pasado's in Reno's memory to care for these poor puppies.

Kathi

Kathi;

Thank you so much. I will go to their website just as soon as I get a minute. I was walking down the dog food aisle at the store yesterday, (don't know what drew me to that aisle, Reno?:)) and thought, oh, I have to get canned food for Reno. It was a pleasant thought though and I just kept walking. I miss the big ole goof being in the way with his fluffy body.

Roz;

I know Travis misses him, when we leave for school we always say, bye Leann, bye Reno, bye Papa, love you. He said it this morning, and I made no comment. I'm not sure he even caught himself. I also think we are occupied with Mom. She is still at our house. We are trying to get her little trailer ready for her. Need to get a deck out front so she doesn't have that scary step to go up and down.

Well, need to get going for work. You guys are awesome. :)

Nancy

I'm back working with my SD's. I have a 14 month old, very frisky golden retriever at my side. We just spent two hours at a reading program, and she did pretty well, except for trying to eat the corners of the books. oooops. Tomorow a big presentation at the high school. Then a hotel outing to get some of the dogs who are going to training camp next week some last outings and exposures.

Wow! What a wonderful woman you are....giving so much of yourself so that someone else can have a "fuller/richer" life! There is a special place in heaven for you! THANK YOU! :)

Wow! What a wonderful woman you are....giving so much of yourself so that someone else can have a "fuller/richer" life! There is a special place in heaven for you! THANK YOU! :)

Thanks. The presentation went well. I am pretty comfortable speaking in public, but this was on stage with a large audience so I had some concerns. Other than my four legged friend eating the notes I dropped, it went well. I think she might be part goat!!!

Now it is time to put my paws up, and I think I might indulge in a "dogtini"!!

Thanks. The presentation went well. I am pretty comfortable speaking in public, but this was on stage with a large audience so I had some concerns. Other than my four legged friend eating the notes I dropped, it went well. I think she might be part goat!!!

Now it is time to put my paws up, and I think I might indulge in a "dogtini"!!

Sunshine, you are so cute. And, doggone it you deserve a break!

CCI has requested that they follow Brenda and I around (a full day) to watch what we do together and observe our interaction (it sounds simple doesn't it?) Well, there's media releases, employer releases, building releases, etc., etc. Not so easy to do. Brenda and I will be speaking and demonstrating for a group of Kindergartners next week. Talk about a fun day. Brenda loves to show off her "stuff!"

We're trying to set-up a demonstration onboard our next cruise with the entertainment/program coordinator onboard the Sapphire. Hopefully, we'll get it together and all the questions that everyone has, while we're sailing with them, will be answered.

We'll see!

Hi,

This is my first time posting in this thread, but I do have a question. I have a service dog that I would like to take on my cruise next January to the Mexican Riviera. I have trained her to piddle and poop in doggie pee pads when I have traveled with her, so I was wondering will they allow me to keep doing that with her on the cruise. I got her from the dogs for the deaf and since she is a pomeranian (she is so cute, she only weighs 4 lbs), Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

This is my first time posting in this thread, but I do have a question. I have a service dog that I would like to take on my cruise next January to the Mexican Riviera. I have trained her to piddle and poop in doggie pee pads when I have traveled with her, so I was wondering will they allow me to keep doing that with her on the cruise. I got her from the dogs for the deaf and since she is a pomeranian (she is so cute, she only weighs 4 lbs), Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Chacooe: Welcome! Your will absolutely love it. Our Service Dog is going on her 11th cruise in April.

The cruise ship will offer you a 4x4 (maybe a bit larger or smaller wooden or cardboard or box or even a children's play pool), each cruiseline uses a different filler and each cruiseline places the box in a different area.

Holland America: On your veranda or on a deck that is somewhat out of the way of the public-if you have an inside cabin.

Celebrity: Same as HAL

NCL: Used the best box with the best litter and placed it in a closet down the hall from our cabin.

Carnival: Has the hardest time with this....and, needs a lot of direction from you....they finally placed the box on a "smoking" deck located near the center of the ship. They will use your veranda, if you have one.

Princess: Our favorite....uses the 4x4 box (made of heavy cardboard) and will start using specially treated artificial turf (hopefully.) They've used wood shavings and paper pellets in the past. And, they place the box in a closet down the hall from your cabin (my favorite.) I actually go in my pj's and hair up in rollers, with Brenda....it's so convenient.

You can bring the puddle pads and ask your steward for some large plastic bags to place the soiled pads in (or bring your own.) Of course, you will pick up the solids and dump that in the toilet (don't expect the steward to do this....although, I know they would if you asked.)

BIG WARNING!!!!! Your Hearing Dog is unusually "cute" and not the typical "service dog" so, expect a lot of comments and questions from the other guests and crew.....don't let them discourage or intimidate you.....they're missing their own "furbabies" that they had to leave with Granny, at home or in a kennel and they absolutely "hate" that you can bring yours with you!!!!!!!!! They can overwhelm you with questions....be prepared!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise and come back and tell us all about it!!!!!!

Nancy, I'm so so sorry to hear about Reno. I haven't been around for a while and I was devastated to here the news. As you know we lost our beloved yellow lab Rangeley in August, so I know what you are going through. I still cry when I am by myself and tell him how mad I am at him for leaving us. I guess writing this is gonna be my good cry for the day. I should say that it does get easier, but it's still hard as hell!!! If it wasn't for our black lab Bailee, I don't think we would have handled it as well. Maybe Reno and Rangeley are playing together in heaven. My love to you and your family.

Cindy

Thank you all so much. I knew if anyone would understand it would be you great group of folks. I definately didn't need the "It's only a dog, line that always pops up." Unfortunatlely, I have been so busy with mom and her issues, I have yet to grieve completely. It comes on and the tears flow. I know we will never replace him and he is in a better place.

I am glad for all the friends he has, even the "bratty" ones to teach him goodness knows what! His kitty has been walking around from room to room looking for him, meowing. She is not much of a talker. I am pretty sad about Travis' attitude, he has pretty much blown it off. He said, "Reno always barked at me anyway." I hope he comes to gripes with it or maybe that is his way of dealing with it.

Anyway, hugs to all of you, for you and the furbabies.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I agree with what everyone has been saying about Travis - I am positive it is his way of coping with the loss. The only thing I can advise (and you know it already too) is to just be there for when he is ready to talk about stuff.

Hannah really surprised me after losing my Maddie when out of the blue she looked into the kitchen and said "where's the doggy"? It was about a month after she left us. Hannah totally ignored both dogs (except to tell them to be quiet when they were barking furiously at the doorbell. LOL!) so it seemed quite unusual that she would even notice one was missing. Funniest thing is that she doesn't know Finn's name and calls him Maddie so in a way, she is still here with us because of my wonderful daughter :))

Hugs to you and your family!!!!! You're all in my thoughts.

Miriam

Cindy and Miriam;

Thanks so much. I was surprised at my husband. Friends down the street just got a white baby lab and he stopped with Travis to see him. Hubby usually doesn't do well and I didn't think he could emotionally do it. He said the baby is adorable.

Oh, I'm sure our beloved furbabies have all gathered together and are romping and tromping through heaven. It puts a smile:) on my face, thru the tears.

Nancy

We all have our way of coping with the loss of our beloved pets. We lost our dog Maxx abt 6 years ago. I kept listening for his toe nails to click, and it took me forever, to not close the door super fast because he would be out like lightning and not be back forever. We thought that since we had sent one daughter off to college and the next was off in a month that that would be our last dog. You know, empty next, empty house, time to travel at whim, no responsibilites...... yeah that lasted abt 7 months.

We did do some research and decided we would be better off with a golden retirever, and to start with a puppy. Max was a 2 year old rescue when we got him, and he had such issues!! Running, occasional aggression... that we wanted to do a better job with our next dog.

We ended up with a puppy from a rescue site. Mama was a black lab and dad was a golden retriever. I thought they were going to send a doggy social worker to our house with all the questions we were asked, which would have been ok. Turns out they did call our vet to check us out.

So Sandy, the most wonderful dog in the world, came to live with us. She is shy, can be skittish(a real fraidy dog), but smart, sweet and the love of our lives. We laughed more the first few months we had her.

After I fell in love with this breed, I started volunteering with an orginiazation that breeds and trains service dogs. So, Sandy teaches house manners and puts up with house guests. She still entertains us daily.

Wow, I went off on a tangent didn't I.

Nancy, I feel for your loss. Someday another best furry friend might come your way, but for now, embrace the love Reno brought you.

Karen

Ok, all is good. As we were sitting watching TV tonight, out of the clear blue, Travis said, "I want Reno to come home." Papa told him Reno is in heaven waiting for us and he has lots of buddies. End of conversation. I am just glad that he admitted that he missed him. Of course he is smothering his kitty to death and she just lays there like a doodoo.

My evening has been greatly improved. A friend sent me a great email about "If dogs could talk." Actually she is the vet tech that was with me and Reno and his babysitter for 10 years. If anyone wants it forwarded, it is very inspirational.

Nancy

Hi,

Hi Chacooe,

I too have an unusual service dog. I have a 10 pound Japanese Chin named Valentine. She is trained to go to a litter box that I bring with me. In the box I use the piddle pads and dog litter. What line are you going on? Valentine has been on 7 cruises and this has never been a problem. I usually just explain to the room steward that the box is her bathroom and that I will handle all it's care. Never a problem.

Wizard was right though about the amount of questions that you will get and being that she is small some will be reluctant to belive that she is not a pet. That is until they see her do her stuff. The staff love to see dogs on board because some have not seen their pet for sometimes months. They are wonderful and will help with anything that you need. The biggest problem that I encounter is walking with her. Nobody expects to see a dog on board especially not a small dog so they don't look down. I use a rolling dog carrier at the busiest times on the ship. She can still work and I can protect her tiny legs.

We haven't been to the Mexican Riviera but last year we even traveled to Europe. I think Wizard can provide info on the Rivera I think she has been there. If I can help with anything in the small dog dept. just let me know. I'd be glad to help!:D Welcome to our thread!

Karen - I would love to see a photo of Sadie - black lab/golden cross really has me wondering!!!!

Well, when I get experienced enought to add a photo to my posts, I'll do it. In the mean time, she looks like a yellow lab. I call her my byd, big yellow dog. She doesn't have the blocky head that the english labs do, more of a golden shape to her skull and head. Big brown eyes, and a pink nose. oink oink.

She actually looks like a lot of the golden/lab mixes that are being trained for SD.s

Black labs can have litters of yellow and black labs. Don't quite know how the genetics work on that, if yellow or black is dominant, but the litters I seem to be about a 50/50 mix.

Hey, y'all! Long time since I've posted here, since I'm not into the cruising thing and have too much other online stuff to do.

Can anybody tell me what the service dog entry requirements are for Grand Turk (Turks and Caicos Islands)? I'm pondering going on another cruise, though at this point it is really just a thought....

Thanks! :)

Well, when I get experienced enought to add a photo to my posts, I'll do it. In the mean time, she looks like a yellow lab. I call her my byd, big yellow dog. She doesn't have the blocky head that the english labs do, more of a golden shape to her skull and head. Big brown eyes, and a pink nose. oink oink.

She actually looks like a lot of the golden/lab mixes that are being trained for SD.s

Black labs can have litters of yellow and black labs. Don't quite know how the genetics work on that, if yellow or black is dominant, but the litters I seem to be about a 50/50 mix.

It really is cool how genetics work ... interesting how the lab DNA seems to override the golden though from what you are saying. Other than her head, it really sounds like she looks more like a yellow lab.

I had heard that black and yellow labs will throw either colour.

No worries, I'll wait for her pic!!!

Miriam

Nancy, I'm so so sorry to hear about Reno. I haven't been around for a while and I was devastated to here the news. As you know we lost our beloved yellow lab Rangeley in August, so I know what you are going through. I still cry when I am by myself and tell him how mad I am at him for leaving us. I guess writing this is gonna be my good cry for the day. I should say that it does get easier, but it's still hard as hell!!! If it wasn't for our black lab Bailee, I don't think we would have handled it as well. Maybe Reno and Rangeley are playing together in heaven. My love to you and your family.

Cindy

I know some of you have recently lost a beloved pet so I am sending this to you. It has helped me when I lost a pet also.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

I will be going on the Carnival Splendor and Missie has a vest that she wears that says she is a hearing dog. I also use a power chair so I have her ride on my lap because of people not really seeing her. I know when I was on the Pride last year (I did not take her, I didn't know we could), it was the room steward that wrote me a note telling me I could bring her if I ever cruised again, I was so surprised. I do have a question, do I notify Carnival before I sail that I am bringing her or do I just board with her and then let the pursers desk know that she is with me. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Chacooe: I'd like to think that there is such a place as "Rainbow Bridge". It's a comforting thought to think our babies are well and missing us as much as we miss them. Thank you for posting that.

Quam: Welcome back!

Roz: Could you please tell me that getting a dog from CCI is not as hard as the process seems.

I will be going on the Carnival Splendor and Missie has a vest that she wears that says she is a hearing dog. I also use a power chair so I have her ride on my lap because of people not really seeing her. I know when I was on the Pride last year (I did not take her, I didn't know we could), it was the room steward that wrote me a note telling me I could bring her if I ever cruised again, I was so surprised. I do have a question, do I notify Carnival before I sail that I am bringing her or do I just board with her and then let the pursers desk know that she is with me. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

You MUST inform the cruiseline that you will be bringing her with you (did you book through a TA?)...When you check-in at the pier (and, if you are not pre-boarded with her), they may decline your entrance to the ship....you wouldn't want that.

Call your TA or Carnival direct - 800-438-6744 -Guest Access Services. They will tell you what pre-cruise documents are required by them to board.

After you've boarded the Pursers desk will contact you either before or during the cruise for the necessary documentation that they must give Immigration at the various ports.

1. Agricultural Inspection Form

2. Immunization record (should be on the above form)

3. Letter from your doctor or training org. documentation stating that your dog is a Service Dog.

4. Copy of city Dog License.

5. Copy of your id (preferrably one with a picture) ie. drivers license or passport.

As i said before, Carnival will need directives from you as to how/where your dog will potty.

Chacooe: I'd like to think that there is such a place as "Rainbow Bridge". It's a comforting thought to think our babies are well and missing us as much as we miss them. Thank you for posting that.

Quam: Welcome back!

Roz: Could you please tell me that getting a dog from CCI is not as hard as the process seems.

Quam: Welcome back, we've missed your insightful input. Now, where is Cari and Denver?

Quam, you'll need to ask your Vet what the requirements are for that Island. I know that the immunization form (Agricultural Inspection Form) is a must and I do believe that a chip and a recent Rabies Titer may be in order. Again, welcome back.

I, too, would like to think there's a "Rainbow Bridge!" I can not wrap my brain around ever losing Brenda and I know that I'll need lots and lots of coping skills when she does pass.......Oh! Wait! I've got you guys.....what more could I ask for....the understanding and love that comes from ALL of you will be enormously helpful!

Cindy: It's easier and easier to get an assistance dog from CCI. It used to be very difficult and the waiting period could be as must as 2-5 years. Now, the waiting period can be only a few months. They have Hearing and Skilled Companions and Service Dogs ready for Team Training.

Of course, there's a process....such as interviews to make sure that the person is ready for a dog and once you've been through the interview process and are invited to train with a dog, you will have to live at a CCI campus for two weeks for Team Training....they'rer very careful about placing their highly valuable and well trained dogs.

If you know of someone who could use the assistance of a CCI dog please tell them to call: 707.577.1700 voice or 707.577-1756 TTY. Their main office is in Santa Rosa, CA. But, they have satellite offices all over the USA. Including one near San Diego.

Cindy and Miriam;

Thanks so much. I was surprised at my husband. Friends down the street just got a white baby lab and he stopped with Travis to see him. Hubby usually doesn't do well and I didn't think he could emotionally do it. He said the baby is adorable.

Oh, I'm sure our beloved furbabies have all gathered together and are romping and tromping through heaven. It puts a smile:) on my face, thru the tears.

Nancy

Nancy, you're sounding well......I'm glad to see that!

Thanks for the info Roz. We have completed the online application to see if we are qualified to complete real application. :confused: The website says it takes 6 mos to 2 1/2 years to get a dog. We would be going to the Long Island NY branch of CCI. They just built a whole new facility, I hear its beautiful. I'll keep you updated.