Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

You might also check out canine assistants. They are located in Atlanta, but place dogs all over the United States. They also have wait lists, but since they are need based, sometimes the wait isn't that long. I think they are pretty similar to CCI, no charge for the dogs, assistance with aftercare. Two week training camp.

I'm so excited for you. Please keep us apprised of how the process is going. If you don't hear from them soon. Call them 631.694.6938 and let them know how anxious you are.

We had to wait 2 years for Brenda but, the wait now is much shorter.

The grounds of CCI are remarkably beautiful. I wouldn't mind living there myself. The CCI dogs are very lucky. They are housed and cared for like no other training facility I have ever seen.

Although the dogs are raised for the majority of their lives by "Puppyraisers" (the true hero's of any organization), they spend a lot of time on the grounds in learning the fine tuning of their education. And, of course it's where you will live for 2 weeks while being trained with your amazing dog.

The housing "dorms" make any ivy-league college look pretty dim!

Their training program has evolved so much since we got Brenny. It's much simpler and well defined.

I've had Brenda for 6.5 years, she'll be 9 years old in June. She's nearing the "finale" of her service work. Although, we've met Service Dogs who were 10 and 12 years old. I hope she can work that long. It really depends on the dog. CCI really wants their dogs to go into retirement feeling well and being able to play and spending their retirement romping and playing instead of stressing and being ill. Having a "successor" dog to work with instead of Brenny is far, far away in my distant future.....

I can't even imagine her not going with us everywhere.....especially cruising.

I will be going on the Carnival Splendor and Missie has a vest that she wears that says she is a hearing dog. I also use a power chair so I have her ride on my lap because of people not really seeing her. I know when I was on the Pride last year (I did not take her, I didn't know we could), it was the room steward that wrote me a note telling me I could bring her if I ever cruised again, I was so surprised. I do have a question, do I notify Carnival before I sail that I am bringing her or do I just board with her and then let the pursers desk know that she is with me. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad that she rides on your lap. Valentine rides in a basket on my scooter when I use it. Carnival isn't hard to deal with. Call the special need desk and inform them that the dog will be comming. They will provide you a list of things that you will need to fill out and fax back. One thing that they asked for was a copy of her graduation deploma. I thought that was odd as some dogs don't go to shcool. It is up to you to contact each island that you are going to visit and find out what is required. This can usually be done by contacting the conselet.

One thing that I have had to deal with that might effect you is the heat. Valentine has a long heavy coat as does a pom. We looked online and found a vest that you soak in water and as it evaporates it keeps her cool. If you have anything else you need let me know. We are all here to help. You'll will love cruising and the dog will make it a lot easier. It will also make you somewhat of a celebrity:eek: Can be good or can been a challenge.

Barbara: You are so right about it being a "challenge" to go cruising with your SD. There are truly sometimes when I just wanted to stay in the cabin....order in....and sit on our deck!

But, alas, out you go into the public.

You'll learn the easiest answers that will allow you to move on and do allow sometime for them to just touch her. Unless this will totally throw-off her working with you....the public just wants to touch her. They're so amazed by these hairy little or big geniuses!!!!! ;)

Roz,

You are so right about it being a challenage but can you imagine the challenage without them? David and I went to Europe 2 years ago without Valentine and since she is a medical response dog, I had to be super careful and it also put more stress on David. Needless to say that when we went to Europe the last year we took her and it was much easier. She will be going with us this year also and we are doing a btb . Med first the the T/A. Can't wait. 31 days of cruise. What more can we ask for?

Roz' date='

You are so right about it being a challenage but can you imagine the challenage without them? David and I went to Europe 2 years ago without Valentine and since she is a medical response dog, I had to be super careful and it also put more stress on David. Needless to say that when we went to Europe the last year we took her and it was much easier. She will be going with us this year also and we are doing a btb . Med first the the T/A. Can't wait. 31 days of cruise. What more can we ask for?[/quote']

Barbara, amen to that! I can't imagine my life without the "security" of a Service Dog. And, I don't mean the "watch-dog" type!

How lucky you are to have the time to take such an elaborate cruise.....Have a wonderful time! Does Valentine have room in her suticase for Auntie Roz? :)

I know some of you have recently lost a beloved pet so I am sending this to you. It has helped me when I lost a pet also.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thanks Chacooe,

I've read this whole thing many years ago but forgot about it - tears started flowing when it got to the point of the pet stopping, looking and running.

Ahh, the joy of being with my Shaunessy, Millie Vanillie - the good kid (she never barked - she lip synced!), Ebbers, Princess and the Mad Dog again :D:D:D Lord only knows what Madison is teaching all of them :eek:

Thanks for posting the Rainbow Bridge verse. I do love it!!!!

Miriam

Chacooe: I'd like to think that there is such a place as "Rainbow Bridge". It's a comforting thought to think our babies are well and missing us as much as we miss them. Thank you for posting that.

Quam: Welcome back!

Roz: Could you please tell me that getting a dog from CCI is not as hard as the process seems.

That poem helps me a lot right after I have lost one of my dogs. I know then that they are happy, not hurting anymore and are waiting for me to meet them. I have always believed that there is a heaven for our best friends otherwise God would have never given them his name spelt backwards.

Thanks for the info Roz. We have completed the online application to see if we are qualified to complete real application. :confused: The website says it takes 6 mos to 2 1/2 years to get a dog. We would be going to the Long Island NY branch of CCI. They just built a whole new facility, I hear its beautiful. I'll keep you updated.

We were part of the first group to graduate from the new Miller Family Campus on Long Island. The campus is beautiful. The dorn rooms and kitchen/common areas are completely wheelchair accessible. The wait time isn't always first come first served. Alot depends on when they have a dog that will suit your needs. Two things I would suggest you bring with you when you go are your own pillow and some bath towels. The ones they had donated do not absorb too well. Since you sound like you are on the East Coast, maybe you can come to the Abilities Expo in Edison, NJ next month. CCI will be there and so will we on one of the days.

Again, thank you all.

Chacooe;

I have also read that poem but hadn't had a chance to look it up again. Thanks for posting it. In my heart I know that is where all my furbabies are. Boy will we get a BIG welcome!

Roz:

I think I am still in denial. Haven't had a chance to really stop and let it go thru my system. The time is coming though.

Everyone have a great day.

Nancy

Nancy: Take your time.....When it hits, it will hit hard and you'll need to just go with it. I laid in bed "mourning" the loss of one of my dearest "furfriends" for days.....finally, I came out and faced the days ahead....not the same but, as time passed I found my smile again!

And, now when I see pictures of him, I cry again but not as long.

Disney: You're right about the towels and pillow, if it's possible, when going to "Team Training" bring your own!

Miriam: Service Dogs in general don't need to bark....although, for some it might be necessary. As a puppy, Brenda was taught not to use her voice.....but, as of lately, I want her to bark because I'm in environments, sometimes, that are not particularly safe and, I like the idea of her big, bold, bark to ward of intruders.

So, I was teaching her how to bark and to find her voice, after almost 9 years of not using it...at first, she would just "mouth" a sound and then she would look like a "lip syncer" and just move her mouth and make a weird "smacking" sound.....until, she found her voice and "wow" what a powerful "bark" came out of her! Perfection!!!!!

I called the U.S. Turks & Caicos Tourism place (run by their gov't - the lady answered the phone with, "Turks & Caicos Government"). She said all that is needed is the int'l health certificate no older than 30 days. :) That's really great - no extra expenses!

Now to see if I can actually go on the cruise to spend time with my fun friends (the only reason I'm wanting to go).... :)

Edited by Quampapetet

I called the U.S. Turks & Caicos Tourism place (run by their gov't - the lady answered the phone with, "Turks & Caicos Government"). She said all that is needed is the int'l health certificate no older than 30 days. :) That's really great - no extra expenses!

Now to see if I can actually go on the cruise to spend time with my fun friends (the only reason I'm wanting to go).... :)

Quam: I hope you get to go. Thanks for sharing the information.

Barbara, amen to that! I can't imagine my life without the "security" of a Service Dog. And, I don't mean the "watch-dog" type!

How lucky you are to have the time to take such an elaborate cruise.....Have a wonderful time! Does Valentine have room in her suticase for Auntie Roz? :)

\We do feel extra lucky this year with the economy and such.

Valentine says she doesn't think you can fit in her case but she WILL make room for Brenny.;)

DisneyKidsDad, Thanks so much for the info. As usual the people on this thread are so helpful.

Roz, We have already recieved our application. Only 3 days after we completed the online app. That was fast. I told John that they must really want him. lol He is a quad plus a special ed teacher so hes got alot going for him. He's already filled out the app, even my part! I think we are now ready for a new dog. I still cry when I am by myself and still don't want to look at any pictures of rangeley. And I think we are finally over our disaster with Joe and ready to try a new dog and a new place. I'll keep ya posted.

Cindy & John

Cindy: You're a strong, brave lady. My heart goes out to you and the process that you're experiencing with the loss of your beloved Rangeley. No dog will ever take his place. But, your heart is big and you'll find the room for a Service Dog.

When you go to Team Training, with John, you will see many dogs who will remind you of Rangeley and you will shed many tears. It's okay!!!! You will be impressed by the abilities and "smarts" that these dogs possess!

I am so excited for both of you. You will love CCI. You'll be part of the Team Training process along with John. The hardest part for you will be after graduation (bring your kleenex) and, when your new Service Dog comes home.

So that John and his new work partner truly bond, you will not be allowed to touch, talk or have eye contact with the dog for 3 months (at least that's how it was 7 years ago), things may have changed a bit since then.

Once the 12 weeks is up you can love and enjoy your new SD right along with John. Brenda and Morey (my DH) have become the best of buddies. To this day she can't wait for him to come home so she can run to him and just lay at his feet for belly rubs. She's at her goofiest when he's around!

Please keep us informed of your progress.....I'm so happy that you're getting involved with very best organization out there!

Another great big golden male has stolen my heart, and I only brushed him. He has these big brown eyes that just look into your soul. He also was brought back, and is waiting for his forever family. I told his trainer maybe they needed to look for a soldier for him. The last big fella who had my heart strings was placed with a war vet and we hear great things about that team.

I'm off to serve dinner for training camp. One of my sweet yellow/lab mixes has been matched. I have some pictures from her puppy days to give to the trainer to give to them. Technically we don't meet the recepients, but this trainer will probably introduce us.

Karen: I know exactly what you're talking about "those big brown eyes".....I love the eyes of these dogs.....Brenny's eyes look just like a gorilla's eyes. Don't laugh....it's true. Her black fur surrounding those deep, brown, intense eyes is just like a gorilla (I love Gorilla's.)

You guys know how I adore Brenny. But, when the day comes that I get a successor dog, I have requested a "huge/yellow Lab!"

When I was initially interviewed, the trainers would have a group of people walk with an individual dog and they gave me a "huge" yellow/cross between a Golden and a Lab, his name was "Brocko". What a gorgeous boy! I fell in love with him.

Then, after being accepted into the program, I was teamed-up with Brenny (a little Black, English Lab, she is so unusual (there were only 2 purebred Labs in the class of 15 dogs.) And, I got one of them. She is very short with a double coat of fur so she looks like a "teddy bear", how could you not love that! However, she didn't even come close to what my dream of an ideal Service Dog was (whatever, in my mind, that was!)

But, needless to say....I fell madly in love with her personality and you couldn't separate us with a pitchfork!

I found this thread while looking for something else and have been lurking into your lives for a couple days. Hope you don't mind.

I wanted to share a service dog story with you. One of the counselors at my daughters elementary school had a golden retreiver service dog. The dog ended up being more of a counselor than his owner. Kids would tell hime things they wouldn't tell an adult. He never judged, he just sunggled closer. He also loved to be read to, which was great for first graders struggling with that skill. Again, he never got frustrated or laughed, he just listened and sighed as only a retreiver can. He was also a reward for problem kids who had a good day. The school principal was so happy about the whole arrangement that she gave a talk at a conference about the benefits of dogs in schools.

Thanks for letting me share...

Roz, I have a few questions for you. Did your hubby train with you? Do they have graduation while you are there for training? And did you train with other dogs for the first few days?

Jenjens, Thank you for that great story. The service dog we had ended up helping kids too. My bf is a special ed teacher and they read to him and patted him on the reading rug too. He ended up doing double duty. Also my bf used him to get the kids to do work, promising them they could pet him and give him a cookie when they finished their work. These dogs are so so smart. Sometimes too darn smart!

Jen: Thank you for sharing your wonderful story with us.....I took Brenny to speak to a class of Kindergarten children this morning about Service Dogs. What an amazing sight to watch the children just getting the biggest joy out of touching her!

Cindy: Yes, Morey (my DH) was in training with me. During every session and every class. He didn't have to take the tests at the end of each day, for two weeks but he attended every class and every outing. We were given a large dorm room with two beds in it.

You are matched with a few dogs the first few days and are working with each of them. (The trainers really have an idea of which dog is going to which person, just by your previous interviews and the personalities of you and each dog) but, sometimes, after seeing you work with other dogs, they change their minds. After a few days, the match is made and you get to take your dog back to your dorm, to bond with you!

The graduation ceremony was at the end of the two weeks. If you passed, you were put in a large auditorium, with your class and without your dog. You were then put on stage, with your class and your dog was presented to you by his/her puppy raisers. It's the most remarkable experience I've ever been through. The tears that are shed could fill the room! They video tape it for you and you have the experience for life!

Driving home from CCI, in Santa Rosa, with Brenda was so, so special.....I was like a new mother....it felt so good!!!!!

I just love training camp weeks. Seeing the dogs go out with their new families. Watching the bonding, the love, just makes me feel so good. Plus, the families always compliment my cooking and banana pudding. I was able to meet one of the families and give them some pictures I have taken at home and on outings. They showed me pictures they have taken at the hotel room, and they were so sweet.

The high school I take dogs to for AAT now have two facility dogs and they are making differences every day at the school.

Leading a tour on sunday. Working on taxes tomorow. I'll need some doggy time after that.

Roz, I will be training with John. They call it a training assistant and from the info we have, I will be participating. They will train me to handle the dog just in case John is unable for some reason. I am so excited to be included. I handled Rangeley all the time so I am pretty confident in my ability. Only problem is that alot of the commands are different and it's hard to change what we have said for 10yrs. There's even a part of the application for me to fill out. I love how they include the puppy raisers in everything. They are wonderful people who can care and train this dog for a year and then give them up. I don't know how they do it!!!