Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you all for sharing your experiences and knowledge about cruising with Service Dogs. Living, eating, going around etc. with Service Dogs should be as smooth and easy as possible, but unfortunately my experience shows me this is not always true, and you guys taking the time to share your experience and to help others just make life easier for all of us! Thank you!

I have never been to a cruise with my Service Dog. I flew with her many times, in the US and internationally, though. It is hard to visually identify my special needs, thus I have to answer to questions constantly. I would like to sail with her and my wife in about 3 weeks. We are not 100% sure yet, but we were looking at cruises that go Jamaica and/or Bahamas and/or Cayman.

I was interested in a Carnival cruise, but Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Holland are also options. I tried to read and research as much as I could. I noticed that the Carnival website states that "Service dogs must have current vaccinations; these vaccinations are in addition to what governing port officials require. Please know that many of the ports you may visit will only accept annual rabies vaccinations. The three-year rabies vaccination is not recognized in many countries. It is the guest’s responsibility to contact the Department of Agriculture or your Service Dogs Veterinarian to obtain information on the requirements at each port. The failure to have the required vaccinations or documentation may result in your service animal not be able to disembark or quarantine.

If you choose to disembark the ship in a visiting port of call, in which your service dog does not have the required documents, or you choose to leave your service dog onboard. You must make arrangements for the care of your dog. Our ships staff cannot care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended.".

Well, we live in Canada and my dog has all her vaccination papers (last time she has a 3-year shot). Thus, I am not sure if I will have to get the USDA health certificate for her, or that would be only in case we would like to disembark with her. I need to have her at night, but it would be absolutely possible and feasible to leave her in the stateroom while we are visiting ports of call. I think it would be the best in our situation, as I would be extremely uncomfortable exposing her (and myself) to all stress related to disembark, non-leashed pets in the streets etc. (please note that this is not a criticism by all means for people who disembark with their service dogs - this is just my personal feeling and condition).

My questions, then, would be:

My biggest concern is how it is going to be at ports of call. The cruise I am interested in goes to Cayman Islands and to Jamaica. How is it to go out with my service dog? And how is it coming back to the ship? What is necessary etc?

As stated before, I would much prefer leaving my Service Dog onboard. Can the dog stay in the vessel while I disembark? If I bring a big and comfortable crate, can we leave her locked in the crate? Will the cruise line know and do anything if both me and my wife leave the ship and my dog stays in the cabin?

Moreover, how will it be coming back to the USA after the cruise? Any special request? When we come back to Florida, will they need any certification or quarantine for my dog?

When I travel abroad with my Service Dog, I was never asked for any documents for her (although I always bring with me her vaccine papers, her United States Service Dog Registry card etc.).

I read most of this thread and could not find specific and updated answers for this practical questions, so please help me!

Thank you, all!

I just returned from the Bahama's on a Royal Caribbean Cruise. I had to have my International Health Certificate (APHIS Form 7001) and her current rabies documents to reenter the USA in Key West (first US port after the Bahama's).

You will have to check with the ship about leaving your SD in the room alone in the crate. They will know for sure as they typically clean the room at least morning and afternoon (make up and turn down service).

I had to obtain a permit from the Government of The Bahamas for my SD to visit the ports we sailed to in The Bahamas. It took several weeks to obtain as I did not want to deal with messengers but rather used the mail service. It depends on the date of your dogs last rabies shot and the date the next shot is due if you would be able to obtain the permit quickly, and I have no clue about the other ports.

Hoped this helps a little.

Deltamag, welcome to the forum. In most cases, service dogs are treated like any other pet by authorities. You will be "exporting" your dog from Canada to the US, and onward.

Your first step is to contact your vet and make an appointment to arrange for an exam and a Canadian International Health Certificate for your dog.

In the meantime, you could call the CFIA Animal Health Office for your province, and research the country-by-country requirements (and/ or call the various embassies.

To find the form, CFIA Office info, and country list, Google: Government of Canada Travel Documents for your pets. Links are shown for all of this information.

Jamaica does not allow pets to enter at all unless they were born and bred in the UK, Ireland or Northern Ireland. Grand Cayman has very rigorous requirements, as you will see on the country list, including the timing of a microchip.

I have not applied to the Bahamas, but you may want to use the search box for this thread of the forum (see top right) for posts with others' input.

Although my dog would be fine alone in the room, too, it is against the ship's policy so I have not done it. Stewards with keys do come and go at various times of the day, as do other service personnel from time to time for a repair, for example, as with a hotel. Some people here on the forum have arranged with one of the ship's staff to stay with the dog in the room. Others take turns with their travel companions going ashore.

Coming back to Florida, you would have your Canada Intl Health Certificate to present along with rabies certificate of course.

Best of luck with your plans, and let us know how it goes!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

For Deltamag: Here are links to the Canadian Governmental pages I mentioned:

Summary page:

http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/animals-certificate

Health Certificate (bi-lingual, also available tri-lingual) to print on

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/heasan/export/petcom/certificate_bi.pdf

Animal Health Offices by Province:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/offices/eng/1300462382369/1300462438912

Country information:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/exports/live-animals/health-certificates/pets/eng/1321265624789/1321281361100

Hope this helps.

Cindra, fingers crossed for Pedro and no issues on the documentation!!! I'll be very interested in your experiences.

I'm feeling better about paperwork for our 12/12 cruise because UPS tracking says my overnight return envelope left the state USDA APHIS office last night. So I should have Raylene's endorsed Form 7001 by today or Monday, plenty of time. My state office raised questions Thursday about St. Maarten, asking about pre-arrival additional pest control treatment and inoculations. I avoid shots my local vet does not recommend, so we said would simply not take her ashore on that island. Our vet's office was talking to them - very helpful to have them in our corner!

Perhaps things change. Last year, no one raised any St. Maarten questions whatsoever at a different state office. On arrival, no local officials asked for anything or batted an eye when we walked down the gangway. I suspect our Florida office is very rigorous in their work because the state is heavily involved in commercial animal international import/export.

Here's my tips for the day: Ask your local USDA-certified vet for at least two signed originals of the Form 7001 when you go for the exam. Then if the state office drags their feet on returning an endorsed copy before sailing, you at least have another signed health certificate in hand to provide the ship at embarkation. Often that's all that is required anyway (though some countries specify official Federal endorsement).

Also, ask your vet for at least two original signed rabies certificates so you have a back-up in hand when you've sent your one & only original to some entity. Finally, ask for the vet to sign forms in BLUE ink since some countries specify it. Can't hurt, and may save time getting a duplicate.

I'm just full of advice today, aren't I? (Full of something, anyway!:))

Wonder how Roz and Horty are doing on the real Love Boat!!??

Chris, I think your advice is all good! Funny how lonesome we all are when Roz and Horton go sailing. Princess has webcams facing forward on all their ships. I checked the Pacific Princess and it looks like the weather is great heading to Puerta Vallarta. Just wishing I could be there too...

Thanks, Beckie

Cindra, fingers crossed for Pedro and no issues on the documentation!!! I'll be very interested in your experiences.

I'm feeling better about paperwork for our 12/12 cruise because UPS tracking says my overnight return envelope left the state USDA APHIS office last night. So I should have Raylene's endorsed Form 7001 by today or Monday, plenty of time. My state office raised questions Thursday about St. Maarten, asking about pre-arrival additional pest control treatment and inoculations. I avoid shots my local vet does not recommend, so we said would simply not take her ashore on that island. Our vet's office was talking to them - very helpful to have them in our corner!

Perhaps things change. Last year, no one raised any St. Maarten questions whatsoever at a different state office. On arrival, no local officials asked for anything or batted an eye when we walked down the gangway. I suspect our Florida office is very rigorous in their work because the state is heavily involved in commercial animal international import/export.

Here's my tips for the day: Ask your local USDA-certified vet for at least two signed originals of the Form 7001 when you go for the exam. Then if the state office drags their feet on returning an endorsed copy before sailing, you at least have another signed health certificate in hand to provide the ship at embarkation. Often that's all that is required anyway (though some countries specify official Federal endorsement).

Also, ask your vet for at least two original signed rabies certificates so you have a back-up in hand when you've sent your one & only original to some entity. Finally, ask for the vet to sign forms in BLUE ink since some countries specify it. Can't hurt, and may save time getting a duplicate.

I'm just full of advice today, aren't I? (Full of something, anyway!:))

Wonder how Roz and Horty are doing on the real Love Boat!!??

Chris,

You are having issues with St. Maarten? We will be stopping on the French side of the island on our cruise. Our USDA office hasn't mentioned anything required other than 7001 and vaccination records. It's one of only two easy ports we have. The other is Martinique, which only requires vaccination records. The rest of our ports are driving me to drink...

Luckily, there is a USDA office within driving distance, so I get everything stamped during my appointment.

Last time, the fee was waived for 7001, due to SD status. I was wondering if the extra fee for endorsements/tests is also waived. Anyone know?

Cindra

Edited by tvaud

Why is it that a few weeks before I take a cruise, I can expect to see...Titanic, or one of the classic movie versions...Poseidon Adventure AND Poseidon, the lousy remake...the History Channel's show Rogue Waves, which was on tonight. Oh, and someone sent my DH a video montage of ships encountering huge waves and storms. I have to laugh. This always happens before we sail!

Chris,

You are having issues with St. Maarten? We will be stopping on the French side of the island on our cruise. Our USDA office hasn't mentioned anything required other than 7001 and vaccination records. It's one of only two easy ports we have. The other is Martinique, which only requires vaccination records. The rest of our ports are driving me to drink...

Cindra

Yes, and St. Maarten was a breeze for me a year ago! Each state office seems to react differently. Or things change, who knows.

Why is it that a few weeks before I take a cruise, I can expect to see...Titanic, or one of the classic movie versions...Poseidon Adventure AND Poseidon, the lousy remake...the History Channel's show Rogue Waves, which was on tonight. Oh, and someone sent my DH a video montage of ships encountering huge waves and storms. I have to laugh. This always happens before we sail!

So funny! You could rent "An Affair to Remember" with Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr on a transatlantic crossing. The romance of the sea...but keep a box of Kleenex handy for the last scene.

Chris,

Luckily, there is a USDA office within driving distance, so I get everything stamped during my appointment.

Last time, the fee was waived for 7001, due to SD status. I was wondering if the extra fee for endorsements/tests is also waived. Anyone know?

Cindra

I thought Martinique required more but I must be thinking of somewhere else. Where else are you going?

So funny! You could rent "An Affair to Remember" with Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr on a transatlantic crossing. The romance of the sea...but keep a box of Kleenex handy for the last scene.

Chris,

That's one of my all time favorite movies! The Cary Grant version is the absolute best, but I will also watch the other two versions...including the awful Warren Beatty disaster. Another of my fave ship movies is "Now Voyager" with Bette Davis. Unfortunately, those movies are never on before a cruise. I only get the disaster movies instead. It's weird, but back in the 80's, I always looked down on ships, just in case. :p

I thought Martinique required more but I must be thinking of somewhere else. Where else are you going?

Our itinerary is as follows...St. Martin, St. Kitts, St. Vincent, Tobago, Barbados, Martinique, Antigua and Virgin Gorda.

Tonight, I emailed my forms and required reports for those countries that require import permits. Mailer Deamon sent back two...grrr. Luckily, Antigua had two email addresses an only one came back undeliverable. BVI came back too, but they also have a fax number that I will try tomorrow. Wish me luck. I also sent off Tobago, even though they said it should be applied for 1 1/2 months in advance. I just got the rabies titer back! Hopefully, they will grant it. I decided to give up on St. Kitts. They are the ones that require TWO rabies titers. There is just no way the second one would come back in time and I don't feel like wasting another $276. on that stupid test. The level they need is equal or greater than .5. Pedro's first titer came back at >/= 15.0! I also read that they require a home confinement for 30 days. Hmm, we will only be there for 8 hours. We've been there before, so it's no great loss.

As of right now, we will be able to take him onto St. Martin and Martinique for sure. The no goes are Barbados, because we are arriving by sea...St. Vincent, because they just won't allow any animal who was not born in a UK country, and now St. Kitts, because I won't make the requirements in time. The maybes are Tobago, if they allow the short notice, Antigua and Virgin Gorda...if they get the info and I get the import permits. What a pain in the butt!:rolleyes:

I'm exhausted after all of this...

Yes, and St. Maarten was a breeze for me a year ago! Each state office seems to react differently. Or things change, who knows.

I agree with that statement. I spoke to three different USDA offices (Albany, NY, Robbinsville, NJ and Harrisburg, PA) in the area and got different answers from each one. My vet's office was in contact with the Albany office. That's what lead to the misinformation and me scrambling like a chicken with its head cut off now.:rolleyes: Can't wait till the 20th!

Edited by tvaud

Yay! The British Virgin Islands got back to me within hours, to let me know that Pedro's import permit will be sent shortly. They also said I can pay the $10 fee in person when we get there. Phew! One down, two in wait.

Cindra

Fairbourne,

Are you safe from all the rain and flooding? I am looking at all the photos, and it looks terrible. Please let us know if all is well with you and your gang of pups.

Thanks!

Beckie

Hi and thank you for asking! Yes, we have escaped the horror of these floods thankfully! We are much further north but we have had some very strong winds and a sprinkling of that white stuff! The remnants of this storm.

However, I have to now own up that we've just come back from a very nice, very warm and sunny week away in South Africa - so we heard about this weather when we were at Johannesburg airport enroute home. While we were away the big dogs were at a new pet hotel complete with underfloor heating and lots of countryside walks while Monster Pup Bonnie was at her Aunty's house. I did get a fabulous welcome home though! From all of them! There will be a couple of tails to come featuring Miss Bonnie the Monster Pup (oh yes she still wears that title well!).

Now if ever there was a place I would go back to in a heartbeat - Cape Town and South Africa would be the place! Fabulous! Stunningly beautiful and of course, some of the best wine (bubbly) on the planet!

I can't say enough nice things about the veterinary office in the British Virgin Islands. Yesterday, I emailed the necessary documents to them. They got back to me right away, in fact sent several communications to me throughout the day. Today, I received my import permit via email. Easy and pain free process.

Also, I received an email response from Trinidad/Tobago. They informed me that the application for their import permit must be applied for in person...not happening...or sent via snail mail. So, it looks like I'll be popping over to my local Fedex office today. On a positive note, the info I read online, said the application for the import permit must be sent 1 1/2 months in advance. Today's email said it would only take 2-3 days to process. I hope they don't snail mail the permit to me, or I may not get it in time.

Still waiting to hear back from Antigua.

This positive news from Trinidad/Tobago is giving me hope that I should try for St. Kitts. What are your thoughts on that?

Cindra

Well...I ventured over to my local Fedex establishment today. Six lousy pieces of paper cost me $52 to send to Trinidad. It will get there by Friday, so they say. Before your jaws totally hit the floor, if I had chosen the slower method, getting there on Tuesday, it would have cost me $80!!! Go figure! The clerk told me up front that she would check all options and that sometimes the faster options were cheaper. Lucky for me...? With 2-3 days to process, I hope they email the permit to me. Our good friend, who is house sitting for us, will scan and email it to me, if it comes after we leave, via snail mail.

Word of advice... Do your research early, study the regs for each port, and question any authority who goes against that research info. Had my vet's tech not given me misinformation from one USDA office, I wouldn't be running ragged right now. :P

Still no word from Antigua yet...

Cindra, thanks for the updates. Great to hear about the BVI responding fast and by email so helpfully. Amazing!

Wouldn't it be helpful if all this process could be done by scanning and emailing documents back and forth? I, too, just spent a bundle to send an overnight UPS envelope (with return overnight envelope enclosed) - not even out of the country, just within my home state to the USDA APHIS office.

I am going to take your advice and get busy soon on the ports for our next Panama Canal cruise in April. My vet's office was very helpful this cruise, and I'll involve them sooner. I took a tin of fancy cookies by this week to thank them!

Cindra, thanks for the updates. Great to hear about the BVI responding fast and by email so helpfully. Amazing!

Wouldn't it be helpful if all this process could be done by scanning and emailing documents back and forth? I, too, just spent a bundle to send an overnight UPS envelope (with return overnight envelope enclosed) - not even out of the country, just within my home state to the USDA APHIS office.

I am going to take your advice and get busy soon on the ports for our next Panama Canal cruise in April. My vet's office was very helpful this cruise, and I'll involve them sooner. I took a tin of fancy cookies by this week to thank them!

Chris,

Our last cruise was a partial canal transit, so I may be able to help you with info on some of your ports. Let me know.

Cindra