Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Is is true that service dogs can not even be on the ship in Jamaica or Haiti?

I don't know about Haiti at all, but for Jamaica the dog can be on the ship. Dogs are not allowed whatsoever to disembark the ship in Jamaica, though. They may or may not allow your dog outside on the ship while it is docked in Jamaica.

We're back! San Francisco was interesting. The hotel wanted to put us in the section where the families with their "pets" stay. I insisted on a "regular" room and, was given one! I also did not have to pay the extra $20.00 per day, I had to, again, insist on this. They did ask to see some identification ie. certification from CCI; and, information on Brenda's immunizaton's. I always keep this information with me......but, I reminded the desk clerk that a lot of Service Dog handlers do not carry this information with them and that it is NOT required by law for them to do so.

We went to the wedding where the "Party Planner" stopped me at the door and insisted that I could not bring my "pet" inside. Again, I explained what Brenda does and told this person that refusing me entrance is against the law. It took me an extra 10 minutes to enter the room, while everyone else was passing by. I was asked to walk over to the side of the room because I was blocking the entrance where the bride and groom would be entering.......

Everyone else had their seats and I would be forced to walk into the room with a "grand entrance!" I've walked with Brenda for 7 years now, will this insanity ever stop? That's just between you and me......I know that I will always have a Service Dog and, I will always be going out in public, so, a "Rock Stars" life will be mine, forever! :mad:

I just can NEVER pick my nose, or trip, or be caught with my slip showing in public, again!!!!!!

uppitycats: I think "human nature" to stare at something out of the ordinary is so damn "ordinary!" I, quite frankly, am sick of it......Wow, I'm angry today! (that's just me being rhetorical!)

We leave on our cruise to the MR on Saturday.......I'm in the anticipation mode.......Love it!!!!!!!

Princess (Alison Muff) called me to let me know that they will be using "wood mulch" for the litter box. Princess decided that using the artifical turf was a "health issue!" I'll let you know how that goes!

Well we are one step closer to getting the paperwork done to take Orson on the Disney cruise in July. We went to the vet on Sat. The vet we saw is USDA acredited. She drew the blood for the rabies tider test. That was Fed-Ex'ed out today. She is also calling the state vet today to go over the paperwork with him. She is supposed to call us this afternoon to give us an update.

Well we are one step closer to getting the paperwork done to take Orson on the Disney cruise in July. We went to the vet on Sat. The vet we saw is USDA acredited. She drew the blood for the rabies tider test. That was Fed-Ex'ed out today. She is also calling the state vet today to go over the paperwork with him. She is supposed to call us this afternoon to give us an update.

Where are you cruising to?

I just spent several hours this morning booking our vacation -- not a cruise this year, but a trip to Edmonton, Alberta Canada, where we have a friend who is a Philippine native, working in Edmonton. She cannot travel out of Canada to the US, so we're going there.

It took several hours because first I had to find a vacation I could afford. AARP has several sort-of reasonable packages, including flight, hotel and car rental. I priced around each part individually, and could save a couple hundred booking through them. That took about 3 hours yesterday. Then today,

all the disability issues -- getting the AARP travel agent to understand that I would need assistance at the airport (no, I don't do steps, couldn't climb up a flight of steps to a plane, need help getting to my seat, need in-board wheelchair), then making her understand that -- no, I could not "just show up at the desk at the hotel and they will make sure you have a handicap accessible room"...that I needed to know before I booked..before I spent one dime...that when I showed up at the front desk of the hotel (in Canada) that there would be a handicap-accessible room for me. And then a car with 4 doors, so that it will be a sedan that I can transfer in to..but also large enough to acccommodate 3 adults (me, husband, our friend) and a wheelchair.

Canada of course doesn't have an ADA, but generally are pretty accessible, when you make clear what you need. I hope I did. I'll be prepared, though, for a tub, not shower, when I get there, and have to demand a shower seat (or make a mess of the bathroom each day as I sit on the edge of the tub to bathe!)

Anyway. Such a hassle. If I didn't have any disability, it would have been a matter of a series of clicks, and in 20 minutes or so, I'd be done. Instead it took nearly 2-1/2 hours, what with holding on the phone while she talked to the airline, the car rental, the hotel, the hotel again, the insurance company, etc. And of course I really won't know that it's all in place until I get there, in early June.

Life gets complicated, sometimes....as we all know too-well. I can't imagine the hassle of not only making sure my family was ready, but my service dog, too! All the paperwork you guys talk about would drive me a bit batty!

Life gets complicated, sometimes....as we all know too-well. I can't imagine the hassle of not only making sure my family was ready, but my service dog, too! All the paperwork you guys talk about would drive me a bit batty!

Honestly, it's made me stronger.....a bit more tired, at times, but definitely stronger! And, I could never again imagine my life without a Service Dog in it. It's never easy but it's so, so worth all the effort!

Have a wonderful trip!

Fortunately I only notice 1.) SD because I can't help myself but look at the furbabies. I want to hug and kiss them, but don't. 2.) Motorized scooters or wheel chairs so I don't get my toes run over. I have a foot fetish pretty bad so that I have to have at least socks on them at all times and protect them at all costs. Summers are warm on my feeties, but they love that security. Other than that, I don't pay attention to disabilties.

I must admit, after working with special needs kids, I don't really know what normal is suppose to be. Meaning, most of my special needs kids far exceed any expectation that I may or may not have had. I love them to death. Miss them, since its spring break for us.

Everyone have a great afternoon.

Nancy

PS: Roz, have a great cruise. I know you will let us know how it goes. I sure miss cruising. Found a great 9 day to Mexican Riviera in November. Its on Royal Caribbean with good prices on a balcony. Maybe by then we can think about cruising.........

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Add text

PS: Roz, have a great cruise. I know you will let us know how it goes. I sure miss cruising. Found a great 9 day to Mexican Riviera in November. Its on Royal Caribbean with good prices on a balcony. Maybe by then we can think about cruising.........

Nancy, which ship and where is it leaving from?

Where are you cruising to?

We are going to St. Thomas, Tortola & Castaway Cay (Disney's private island) We just got a call back from our vet. She called the state vet and he doesn't know anything about Tortola. I am going to try to call Tortola tomorrow and try to get specific info from them.

We are going to St. Thomas, Tortola & Castaway Cay (Disney's private island) We just got a call back from our vet. She called the state vet and he doesn't know anything about Tortola. I am going to try to call Tortola tomorrow and try to get specific info from them.

Please let us know how it goes. I think that Tortola has been a long standing question on this Board. Unless that is one island that Quam has been to and knows the answer to your question.

I have not been there. I tend to stay on the ship, now, and going into the various ports just becomes a question from Immigration to the ship, who has to show all the documentation "only" for Brenda, as opposed to having to worry about Brenda on the land.

I believe that the Dept. of Food and Agriculture Form; Immunization Record; City License; CCI Certification; Rabies titer; Heartguard usage; Advantix usage and a copy of my Passport was all that was required by most of the Caribbean countries. Maybe Tortola asks for more......what more could there be? Geeezzzz!!!!! :rolleyes:

Roz:

It is Radiance of the Seas. Leaves from San Diego. $899 for balcony, then has $150 OBC for balcony and we are Platinum so would get another $150 per cabin off. That is a great price for RCL balcony. Crucon (I think I can say this because they are one of CC advertisers) has the deal on their Spring cleaning sale.........We love to cruise that time of year. November or December. Still warm in Mexico and just plain relaxing.

Nancy

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
add text

Roz:

It is Radiance of the Seas. Leaves from San Diego. $899 for balcony, then has $150 OBC for balcony and we are Platinum so would get another $150 per cabin off. That is a great price for RCL balcony. _ _ _ _ _ _ (I think I can say this because they are one of CC advertisers) has the deal on their Spring cleaning sale.........We love to cruise that time of year. November or December. Still warm in Mexico and just plain relaxing.

Nancy

Nancy, thank you for the information.....and, we may NOT mention TA's, even if they are advertised.......so, I discreetly removed them.....We're leaving this Saturday, on the Sapphire and are booked on the Golden, in September......I think my DH would have a major "hissyfit" if I booked anything else this year! But, I just had to know who was making such a wonderful offer......I'm so addicted to cruising!!!!!!!

Nancy, you need this break so badly. Pack her meals in tupperware, place them in the frig. Forbid her from using the stove. Make sure she has every item or medication she needs. Call a relative or neighbor to just drop in every other day and, go.....................

My mom used to live with us and, it wasn't easy to make our plans.....I totally understand what you're going through.

You'll be better people for her and yourselves if you get away.

I hope you find some way to make it work!

Nancy, you need this break so badly. Pack her meals in tupperware, place them in the frig. Forbid her from using the stove. Make sure she has every item or medication she needs. Call a relative or neighbor to just drop in every other day and, go.....................

My mom used to live with us and, it wasn't easy to make our plans.....I totally understand what you're going through.

You'll be better people for her and yourselves if you get away.

I hope you find some way to make it work!

I totally agree Nancy, you need time to re-energize YOU!! Of course those words are certainly easier to say than actually do. I know far too well how difficult it is leave Hannah in order to have some 'me' time. I guilted myself for months knowing that I was going to leave her for a full 7 days this past January but everyone insisted. She was fine and it really did help me to become a much better care giver for her ... if that makes any sense?

You really need to go!

Miriam

Miriam

Your vet should be able to look them up on their computer system.

Have you tried looking on the Internet to get an idea of what the regulations might be?

http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/VG-Virgin-Islands-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

http://www.britishvirginislands.com/ntk_permitspet.htm

http://www.allatsea.net/specificissueeditorial.php?featureid=1105 (NOTE: The date on this article is old, from 2006, so regulations may have changed since then.)

Mornin' all:

Roz and Miriam;

I know the "me" time is important. Mom can still pretty much take care of herself. Its the burnt (scinged) paperplates, the cremated donut that was left in the microwave to long, etc. The propane is not turned on, so she cannot use the stove. She also has a problem with the concept of an RV holding tank. She stands with her foot on the peddle running water into the toilet, which goes into the tank, which only holds so much, then the valve outside has to be pulled to empty it. We can't leave the valve open as it spreads the smell of sewer gas into the RV. Pleasant conversation, I know, but just trying to explain the maintenance issues. I am not giving up. One of the girls that lives a couple of doors up is a nurse and she works part time in the park. I am sure she will keep an eye on her if I ask. So, cruising is still doable. My sister lives 2 1/2 hours away and would be able to come for a weekend, unless she goes with us! :)

Anyway, enough of my blabbing. Everyone have a great day. We are overcast, but I am sure we won't get any moisture. :(

Nancy

I actually have a puppy home this week. She is a four month old golden/lab mix and is wonderful. I had some serious concerns taking her to the Children's Hospital for AAT, but since I knew one of the more seasoned "therapy" dogs ws going to be there as well I gave it a shot. I could always cut it short if needed. Needless to say the puppy stole the show. She was very bold and confident. Took a ride on the lap of child in a wheel chair, put her paws up on the beds for some kisses,, and generally charmed everyone. The Volunteer office staff broke in to the jingle "aint' no bugs on me" from the Advantix commercial since that is what she looked like with her bandana and tiny little "dog in training" cape on.

The rest of this home visit will be low key. Short outings to build on her already confident nature. I'll need to take her back later today:(, I would love to keep her longer, but she is too young to spend a work day in the crate.

I want to go on a cruise!!!!! This summer we are going to stay close to home and watch the pocket book. Maybe next year.

Quam: Yep! It's true; I walked around with my slip showing; picking my nose when and where I chose to; and, when I used to trip, I didn't care who was watching because most weren't.

Now, I'm a much more careful walker and I ONLY pick when I'm sure no one's looking! ;)

Cindy: Thank you for your good wishes.....can't wait! Tomorrow, I'll be sipping a foo-foo drink and watching the waves go by! YIPPEE!!!! I'll write upon my return.....if they can get me off the ship!!!! :rolleyes:

Sunshine: I can just picture that beautiful little puppy, I love that commercial! How cute were those nurses? :p

Well, I got Brenda's hair done; I got my hair done (and, for those of you who have met me, that's quite a task!) I have lots of it and I keep it very blonde!!!!! So much work......It's one of the reasons I always wanted a "yellow lab", kind of a match set. That said, I wouldn't trade my "black lab" for anything or anyone.

I've got to get back to work to clean-up some loose ends before we hit that glorious ship tomorrow!

Take care, all!

Roz, Hubby and Brenny;

I am so excited for you guys! Have a great time, like I know you will. :D Does Brenny get her nails painted for cruises? I think bright pink would look fab with her thick black fur! Then she could go formal or casual, whichever would apply..........

Sunshine: I bet that little girl will be really on top of her game when she gets to the end of her training! What a great SD she will be. I like a little cockiness in a furbaby.

Nancy