Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

There are things you can do to help her get over the separation anxiety. Just do a Web search and you'll find some good ideas, I'm sure. Anxiety is not fun for humans or dogs.

Oh man, one of the times I dropped my girl off at the groomer's (she has hair so needs to get it cut fairly often) there was this lady with her tiny white dog (in her arms, of course...) and the poor dog was having an absolutely hysterical fit! Why? Because the owner was! But the dog sounded SO pitiful and was crying like an abused dog (actually, sounded almost like a child!) - it was so sad. :( The groomer was trying to calm the lady down, but it didn't seem to be working so well. I think I left before it got resolved, but hopefully the dog got better after his owner left the shop, the poor little thing.

My girl is fine with being left at the groomer's for the four or so hours it takes for her beauty treatment. She'd prefer not to, of course, but she goes willingly. And she's always so happy to see me when I pick her up. :)

By the way: Separation anxiety is just one reason dogs act that way at the groomer's. Another reason could be that she's been traumatized there in the past (it does happen, sad to say!).

Quam: It's not that big of a deal for me (not true, I hate being without her) or Brenda....the second I leave she's totally relaxed and enjoying (actually, feeling sorry for) the dogs who cry and cry and cry and then shake and shake and shake for their owners to pick them up! Now, that's true anxt at it's optimum!!!!

The groomers love to see Brenny; she's so well behaved and all they have to do is use "one word" commands to get her to move side to side and lift her paws for trimming....it's so much easier for them, with a dog like her!

I, too, feel sorry for the dogs who cry and yelp for help! It's so sad!

Brenda does her 30 seconds of tugging at her leash and heading for the door......(It's really all about her "mal-adjusted" owner!):o She does this for me........I'm sure she must be thinking ("I'd better show her how much I can't live without her!"):rolleyes:

Hi,

That's funny you want a Labradoodle, as that is the type I got from the service dog agency here in Washington. His name is Hayden, he's 3, weighs 80 pounds and we'll be cruising our first time next year on Pricess Caribbean. There's a group from the Assistance Dog Institute going, (I have a friend that graduated there) and so there will be quite a few dogs on the cruise.

Hayden will be great, but I do have a concern about him trying to jump into the water. Are there any parts of the ship that you avoid for that reason?

Hi,

That's funny you want a Labradoodle, as that is the type I got from the service dog agency here in Washington. His name is Hayden, he's 3, weighs 80 pounds and we'll be cruising our first time next year on Pricess Caribbean. There's a group from the Assistance Dog Institute going, (I have a friend that graduated there) and so there will be quite a few dogs on the cruise.

Hayden will be great, but I do have a concern about him trying to jump into the water. Are there any parts of the ship that you avoid for that reason?

Welcome to the thread! :D

That's cool that a group from the ADI school is going on a cruise. What ports is the ship going to?

I'll be going on my first cruise in a few months, too. (Obviously, it will also be my dog's first cruise.) Our ports are Key West, FL; Cozumel, Mexico; Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands; and someplace in Jamaica (forget which port). I can't get off at Grand Cayman, since we'll be in Mexico the day before and they don't allow dogs from there, and can't get off at Jamaica, since they don't allow dogs coming in. (Even if we weren't going to be in Mexico, though, I wouldn't have spent all that money on the vet stuff just to go to Cayman for a few hours. If I were to spend a week there, that'd be different, but it isn't worth it for just a few hours!)

I'm excited. I'm sure you are, too!

I don't think you'll have anything to worry about as far as your dog jumping in the water goes. If he's an SD, he'll be impeccibly behaved as well as working on leash (and/or harness), so the thought wouldn't even be in his head. Plus, the walls between the ppl and the ocean are pretty high for safety's sake. Just don't throw a Frisbee or ball overboard (that's against ship's rules, anyway) and I think you'll be just fine. ;)

When you're out, on deck, with your dog.......you will notice that the bars/rails that go around the ship are mainly for children and adults. They were not meant to restrain dogs.

That being said....I, too, was concerned about Brenda's reaction to the ocean, since she's such a "water dog", being a Lab and all! At first, she gingerly walked over to the side....looked over the rail....smelled the air and looked at the sea below.....(I, of course had her on leash and purposely walked to the edge, to allow her to explore!) I wanted her to see that it was quite a drop and that staying away from the edge is a good thing........

We spend a lot of days on deck.......She loves to lay there, in the sun (especially on days when we're docked and most people are off the ship!) It's more quiet and less hectic!

Since you won't be alone with your dog.....you may not get the questions as much as one gets with just one dog onboard......

Cruising with your service dog is a joy.......I highly recommend it to everyone.....Brenda will be going to Europe and Hawaii next year! This Saturday, she'll be doing Mexico for a week, onboard the Golden Princess!

Hi,

We will be shipping out of Ft. Lauderdale, going to St. Maarten and Thomas and Caye something. How's that for a precise answer? :confused:

I'm really looking forward to it and know Hayden will love it, he is just unusually focused on water.

Sounds like you'll have a good time (and Hayden, too)! :)

If you live near the ocean or a lake or anything like that, you can practice working your dog near the water so he learns to ignore the water and focus on his job. Then you'll be all set for the cruise.

Have y'all filled out accommodation forms for the cruiseline yet? If so, what types of forms did they give you and what type of potty area are they putting out for the dogs? (We're interested in that kind of info. in this thread ;) .)

Princess has a form: "Responsibility Form"(I don't have the form in front of me so I can't give you the exact name of it) but, it is a liability waiver type form, which is sent by Princess ""Fleet Medical Dept.". In essence; this form states that Princess is not responsible for the feeding or caring of the service dog; and holds them harmless. Carnival has an "Access & Compliance" form, also sent via the internet by my TA.

You will have to fill out and sign the form and fax it back to the appropriate people.

You will also be asked for an "Agricultural Inspection" form, to be filled out by your vet. This form has information about the rabies & various other vaccines given & expiration dates/hearguard and flea & tick usage and geneal health of the dog. The vet must sign and date this form.

NCL was the first cruiseline to ask for the above form; and, once we had it, Celebrity/Princess and Holland America were also given a copy along with our dog's service license (not required by all service agencies-CCI gives this to all it's graduates) and a copy of my drivers license and passports.

On our September cruise, Princess placed her potty box about 10 cabins down from ours, in a "crew work area/closet!" And, on another time placed it in a stairwell (only used by the crew), which was located around the corner from our mini-suite. This was very convenient. Carnival put it on an outside deck/Holland America and Celebrity also used an outside deck area (these areas were covered and protected from the elements.) NCL used a "crew washroom" which was located 2 doors down from our cabin (I could go in my pajamas.)

The ships can be very open to your suggestions, as to where to place the box......

We'll be going to London, next year and they've requested the following: a Microchip/current Rabies Vaccination/blood draw for Rabies serology (done within a 6 month window of travel)/EU certificate issued by USDA Accredited Vet./Tick and Echinococcus tapeworm treatments done 24-48 hours prior to leaving (all to be recorded on the EU Certificate, along with ALL your travel plans, within their country.)

Once it's all done.....You will have the certification to take your dog with you! It sounds like a lot but the proper Vet can get you through all the paperwork and you don't have to be without your partner!!!!!

Happy future travels to everyone!!!!

(I know Roz is on her cruise, but this question is for both her [when she gets back] and any other service team who has been on a cruise.)

I was reading a post in another area of CC and the ppl were talking about going through security at the different ports to get back on the ship. I have two questions about that:

A. Does anybody know if the ship/pier security at US ports follows the TSA rules (or is TSA)?

B. For getting back on the ship in Mexico (or other similar countries for those who haven't been there), has anybody had any troubles with the security trying to get you to take your dog's gear off? (For TSA, they aren't allowed to request the gear comes off.)

My dog's mobility harness always sets off the walk-through metal detectors at the airports (which is why I have her walk through ahead of me, so that only she rings the buzzer and I don't), but I can't be taking it off of her if the ship/pier security guys ask. (Not only is it a pain and a long process, but my dog might think she's not working anymore [though she'll still be on the leash so maybe she won't think that] plus, of course, she wears the harness for a reason - to help me!) So I'm hoping that nobody has had trouble with getting non-TSA and foreign country folks to understand this.

(One lady at one of the Bahamas airport screenings did ask me to take off her harness, but I told her they don't allow that in the US and she was okay with that answer - she did make me walk through without my holding the leash, though [thankfully I was travelling with others, so I handed the leash to one of them]. So, I know it may happen, I just am hoping it won't or that they'll understand my needs if they do ask!)

If a guide dog does not get off the ship on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise what would the requirements be to get back into the U.S.? Where would I find such government requirements online?

Mary

The requirements are lax to get in the US (except Hawaii), anyway - you just need a health certificate from your vet (make sure they put the expiration date of the rabies shot on there if it is a three-year and has been over one year since the shot or bring a copy of the rabies certificate with you [a good idea just in case, anyway]) - so whether or not you get off the ship really doesn't make a difference. Since the US prob'ly won't know if you got off the ship or not, I would think you would still need the certificate. The certificate has to be no more than 10 days old for entering the US.

If you're trying to get back to Hawaii, you'll have to go through additional requirements that require at least six months preparation if you've never done them before (and additional money).

Your vet should know the laws/be able to find them out for whatever countries you wish to enter/come back to. Otherwise, there are several places online you can find the info. - www.pettravel.com is a good way to start getting info., but do know that the info. is listed only for pets and some places do have different/better requirements for service dogs (i.e. no fees, no quarrantine with certain requirements, etc.).

I'm going on a W. Caribbean cruise and we're getting off the ship at Key West as well as Cozumel, Mexico. The other two places we can't get off at, so we'll enjoy the ship's amenities (at least the ones that are open while the ship is in port). Mexico requires just a health certificate (dated within 78 hours of start of travel and I was told the start of my cruise counts as the start of travel).

Thanks, Quampapetet, for the encoouraging information. We weren't sure if we would need an international health certificate to get back into the country or if the standard health certificate we normally get from the vet is OK. Glad to know it's the latter. The dogs won't be getting off in Jamaica (can't) or Grand Cayman (too many requirements).

I'll get to stay onboard with them while their owners get off with their spouses. I look forward to staying on the ship while in port. I haven't done that yet. And it will be nice to have some dog-time. I'll miss the guide dog puppy we're raising, although he's going through a prolonged disobedient stage right now. He'll take a forbiden object to chew when he is standing right in front of us. Then he looks at us like, "What are you going to do about it?" Hopefully he'll get through this stage soon.

We also go to Cozumel. I'm not sure what the two teams are planning to do there. I'll make sure they get their health certificates done within 3 days of our travel.

Thanks again for the info.

Mary

The certificate will be an international certificate, but it doesn't have to be sent into the USDA to be stamped or anything. I believe the vet has to be USDA-approved, though (although that could be just for the Bahamas I'm thinking of and not the US or Mexico). At the vet practice we go to, there are two vets who are approved to sign such certificates.

I make my app'ts well in advance since not every vet at the practice can do the certificates (it used to be only one vet, but I guess now a second vet there can do it, too, as the first one isn't available for one of the upcoming times I need a certificate). When I was there at the end of Sep. for my dog's annual exam I made the app'ts for the certificates I'll need in January and February for my trips.

Be sure your ppl tell their vets the countries they'll be entering when they make the app't so the vets will know which vet(s) to assign to the app't and be sure to have the correct certificate on hand to fill out (as well as the correct laws, if they don't already know them).

Oh my gosh, your puppy sounds too funny!! :)

As for Mexico, I found out that they do actually have access laws for guide dogs (but I don't think other types of service dogs for other disabilities are included, just guide dogs for the blind/visually impaired) now. I have not been able to read a copy of the actual law (I don't know Spanish), but there is a guide dog school in Mexico and they have a Web site (in Spanish). I don't know if anybody there speaks English or not to call or e-mail them about the law, as I never tried it. But that's who I would tell you to contact about the law, if you wish to do so.

From what I could gather via the poor Web-based translation programs, the law is only for guide dogs, so I had to ask permission to go on the excursion I chose to do in Mexico - but I had no problem with getting permission (in writing via e-mail, of course), so that's good. (Earlier I had thought about a different excursion - the Atlantis Submarine - but they said they wouldn't allow my service dog. There is a ladder to get into the submarine, though, so that wouldn't work for me [or my dog], anyway, since I have some mobility issues.)

We're back and we had an amazing time....the Golden Princess is a wonderful ship.

Brenda was enjoyed by all the passengers (only a few gave her bad looks or walked the other way when we came towards them!)

We were in Acapulco/Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas (you should see Brenda board a "tender", she's amazing!) I was extremely careful with Brenda since there was a pack of loose dogs walking on the beach in Mazatlan and I didn't want Brenda exposed to them. This is the worst thing that you will encounter while in Mexico....they don't have good laws regarding dogs.

You guys are OVERTHINKING the access requirements by the cruiselines and the country of Mexico......My State of California Dapartment of Food and Agriculture form was dated August 15, 2007 (this was Brenda's last visit with the Vet and the date that he signed the form!) It was perfect and was NEVER questioned. I'm also using this form for my cruise on January 20th. It is NOT NECESSARY to be within 10 days for Health Certificate to enter Mexico.

At some point the Immigration officer will ask the ship for this form and you will leave a copy of all the information about your dog with the Purser's desk....they will hold it for Immigration in the different ports. At the end of port days....go the the Purser and ask for the copies back. You will use these again when entering your country to show to the officials at your final dock.

You MUST be current on all vaccinations, when going into Mexico. You MUST have the above form, filled out by your vet. You MUST carry your Animal License (from your state). (This will help in re-entering the USA/Canada.) I always show a copy of my Passport/CA Drivers Liscense/and the Permit and tattoo number, with a picture of Brenda and me, given by CCI (not all training agencies have these), it sure helps with the ID process. The officials were very impressed at how organized I was.........And, the process went very quickly!

I also did NOT have to remove Brenda's vest or harness........I simply said this is not easily done and it will confuse the dog.

Be firm in your answers. Having service dogs go through inspections and immigration can be very confusing to these officers......they need to be informed and taught......don't be shy to be the teacher! You know you are within your rights.....stand strong!!!!!

Ship/pier security are really watching you and your behavior with your dog.....if there is anything questionable about it....you will be stopped. Make sure you act in a professional manner while with your dog and that he/she is in a sit/stay or down/stay when not walking.

Some securty people will unzip her vest (which carries her baggies for deposit pick-up) and some will totally ignore it. Some will ask to take her leash and walk her, separately throught the screening process (TSA) and some will ask me to command her to walk through on her own (I always insist that a guard be waiting to grab her leash on the other side!) I never, never want her loose!!!!!!!!

Access laws in London are very similar to the States....some places do not follow the laws and will give me static, some will be more accessible....just like the USA....In Paris, dogs are allowed to eat in restaurants, with their owners so I will need to be careful about Brenda being approached by not only humans but also other dogs. I always worry about that but not while INSIDE.

Enjoy your travels with your dog partners. It's wonderful!!!!!!!

Wizard-of-Roz it is great to read all your stories, my son also has a CCI star and we are planning an Alaskan cruise in Sept, while we are working on the logistics onboard but we are confident that Tyrone's training will handle his duties without a problem. We are though very concerned the duration of the air flight of 6.5 hours from Orlando to Seattle and are considering leaving my sons best friend home. What is the longest flight have you done with Brenda? How did you handle it? How about Brenda? Ant advice would be appreciated.

Long flights can be difficult......the longest Brenda has done is 6 hours. She has problems with the altitude changes and will look at me very sadly when her ears start popping......I simply reassure her that it's okay and I return to what I'm doing!

What I do: She's NOT given water prior to the flight; she's given several potty breaks before entering the plane; I give her ice cubes while onboard (to help with the dry mouth!) Brenda has a favorite toy (a stuffed squirrel), I place it near her, as she lays on the floor. I keep the stroking and talking to her to a minimum. But, try to keep myself within her view. I keep myself in a calm and assertive mode which helps to reassure her!

I also do some "bladder holding" practice sessions before the flight! I rehearse all the moves; lots of potty breaks; then staying in a small area, with her toy; some ice cubes and holding her urine for at least 6 hours.......These dogs are so, so smart....she knows exactly what I'm doing!

She's almost 8 years old (no spring chicken) and still she wants to be part of my world so much; she will cooperate with my comings and goings!

She, now, goes to the front door, when she sees me getting dressed (she knows I'm going somewhere) and, she doesn't want to miss a beat!!!!!

We have taken very long road trips, where she had to hold herself for long periods and did really well!

On another flight, we had a layover but were not to leave the plane....the Stewardess took Brenda off the plane and gave her a potty break and chance to walk, a bit. She was handled like the "President"; very special!

Don't be afraid to fly and to travel with your working partner......They've been in all sorts of situations and most can handle them all....

If your dog has had problems with their bladder or kidneys, I would NOT recommend doing this. It can be too much for them......

I will continue my travels with Brenny, as long as she is comfortable with it!!!!!! She is ALWAYS my first concern.....her health and comfort are the first thing I think about.....I want her to love traveling as much as my husband and I do and that means she is treated the best through it all!!!!

CCI gave me the right Alpha dog to fit into my world!

No matter what you decide have a wonderful trip to Alaska......

Inflatabel Man, Roz gave some very good suggestions. We flew 13 times with our guide dog puppy when she was 1-2 years old. She did well on all the flights even though she wasn't a fully trained guide dog. About half of those flights were with my husband so we had two seats together which helped. And on some of the other flights I had an extra seat. But on two flights we only had my seat. On one of those flights we were in the middle seat between two men in business suits. I was so proud of Heidi as she squeezed under the seat in front of us and stayed there for most of the flight with my legs on either side of her to prevent her hair from getting all over the men. :) I did bring a tape wand onboard in case we needed it but we didn't.

One thing I did for her ears was bring some treats that were like big chunks of raw meat (not actual meat). Because of their large size and the chewy texture she had to open her mouth wide to chew it. It gaver her two or three of those on every take off and landing. She never seemed uncomfortable and she ended up loving to fly since those special treats were only used for flying.

I understand your concern about the long flight. I too was concerned, especially since Heidi was only a year onld when we started flying but she did well. Even after 8 hours of flying and changing planes with no time for potty breaks I took her outside and she was too busy checking out her environment to do her business. It took a lot of coaxing her to go before she had to get into a car for more travel time. Withholding water and giving ice chips worked well for her. But she wasn't a big drinker anyway. Our current guide dog puppy is a big drinker. I'd have to withold water for a few days for him to fly in comfort! :eek:

Roz' idea about preflight practicing is very good. You have some good suggestions and encouragement. Go for it!

We're back and we had an amazing time....the Golden Princess is a wonderful ship.

Welcome back! Glad Princess didn't give you any problems - what, after that thread on here about somebody's problems with them.

We were in Acapulco/Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas (you should see Brenda board a "tender", she's amazing!) I was extremely careful with Brenda since there was a pack of loose dogs walking on the beach in Mazatlan and I didn't want Brenda exposed to them. This is the worst thing that you will encounter while in Mexico....they don't have good laws regarding dogs.

Was that a public/free beach? Or one you paid to enter? The only thing I'm planning on doing in Mexico is going to a paid beach/park place - I would think they wouldn't have loose dogs in there. Otherwise, I'll buy some DirectStop (citrus spray dog deterrant).

You guys are OVERTHINKING the access requirements by the cruiselines and the country of Mexico......My State of California Dapartment of Food and Agriculture form was dated August 15, 2007 (this was Brenda's last visit with the Vet and the date that he signed the form!) It was perfect and was NEVER questioned. I'm also using this form for my cruise on January 20th. It is NOT NECESSARY to be within 10 days for Health Certificate to enter Mexico.

Mexico is 3 days - it is the US that is 10. ;) Those are their rules/laws and I obey rules/laws ('cept fer that darned speed limit thing [while still driving safely, of course]...:p ). If anybody does ever look at the date on your forms (usually they [except the vets if you need to see one upon entering] don't even seem like they know what they're s'posed to be looking for, but just pretend they do!), you might have a problem if they're out of date. I know the vet in the Bahamas does carefully look for all the required info. (which, by the way, leads me to recommend that you keep a copy of your dog's rabies certificate with you as well as look over what your vet wrote on the form before you leave their office to make sure it is complete), so if I was going there second but used the certificate from the first trip, I'd be in trouble.

By the way, I just found out a way to save some money on the poop exam (required for Bahamas) - Petco's Web site is selling a kit where you send a small sample directly to a lab and they give you the results within 24 hours by e-mail. It is $20 or so - much less than my vet's price if you include the biohazard and exam fees (and still less without those fees) and you don't have to put the poop in your car (it is a pre-paid envelope, so your postman should take it ... just don't tell him what it is, LOL!).

You MUST carry your Animal License (from your state). (This will help in re-entering the USA/Canada.)

Have you actually been asked to show your dog's tag? Or does your state have some other type of license? My state/county just has rabies tags (they double as licenses - but are free for SDs). Nobody has ever asked to see it before and immigrations just glance around the first page of her paperwork for a few seconds before handing it back.

I also did NOT have to remove Brenda's vest or harness........I simply said this is not easily done and it will confuse the dog.

I'm glad they understood (if they weren't TSA, whose rules say they can't ask this). A lady in the Bahamas understood when I told her it wasn't allowed in the US. But even some TSA ppl don't get it! :rolleyes:

Be firm in your answers. Having service dogs go through inspections and immigration can be very confusing to these officers......they need to be informed and taught......don't be shy to be the teacher! You know you are within your rights.....stand strong!!!!!

Always!

Ship/pier security are really watching you and your behavior with your dog.....if there is anything questionable about it....you will be stopped. Make sure you act in a professional manner while with your dog and that he/she is in a sit/stay or down/stay when not walking.

Or a stand-stay. ;) I know some ppl teach their dogs to do auto sits, but that would be a problem (for the human) with mobility dogs like mine!

Have you had any trouble with sniffer dogs at the docks? I've had some problems with them at the airports (one wanted to rip my dog apart [and his handler wanted to rip me apart, I guess for "making" his dog act up by being there] and another wanted to play with her [i felt bad for that handler - he seemed so embarrased!]).

Some will ask to take her leash and walk her, separately throught the screening process (TSA) and some will ask me to command her to walk through on her own (I always insist that a guard be waiting to grab her leash on the other side!) I never, never want her loose!!!!!!!!

TSA isn't allowed to take control of an SD (i.e. take their leash). They are also s'posed to let you decide how best to go through (with dog, dog in front, dog behind).

I always have my dog walk through the detector ahead of me (on the leash, though I guess I could have her carry her own leash in her mouth on her way through and direct her with voice commands - I just don't).

Access laws in London are very similar to the States....some places do not follow the laws and will give me static, some will be more accessible....just like the USA....In Paris, dogs are allowed to eat in restaurants, with their owners so I will need to be careful about Brenda being approached by not only humans but also other dogs. I always worry about that but not while INSIDE.

Ah, yeah. Hopefully those are well-behaved and healthy pets there!

She has problems with the altitude changes and will look at me very sadly when her ears start popping......I simply reassure her that it's okay and I return to what I'm doing!

I've been told that dog's ears don't pop because of the design of them. Could be something else about the plane she doesn't appreciate (i.e. noise, vibration, feeling of lifting off, knowing she'll be stuck in that spot for hours, etc.).

What I do: She's NOT given water prior to the flight; she's given several potty breaks before entering the plane; I give her ice cubes while onboard (to help with the dry mouth!)

That's what I do, as well. I try scheduling morning/noon flights for my dog's sake as I don't feed her the morning of the flight (so she won't have to poop mid-flight/trip) and I limit water (none for a very early flight, a few laps in the morning for a noon/afternoon flight). I potty her just before leaving for the airport, of course. When the stewardess brings the drinks, I ask for a couple of ice cubes (am always given a full cup of cubes - strangely, they don't melt like they do back on the ground!) and I offer her a few licks every now and again during the flight (just a few times to quench thirst).

On another flight, we had a layover but were not to leave the plane....the Stewardess took Brenda off the plane and gave her a potty break and chance to walk, a bit. She was handled like the "President"; very special!

How come you couldn't leave the plane?

That reminds me about a connecting flight I had earlier this year - the stewardess on the first flight told me I could go potty my dog in the smoking room. Later, as we walked through the airport, I saw said room - seems she wanted me to somehow get my dog up to the butt-high planters (which many ppl were leaning against/sitting on) to "go" between the bushes! I thought that was pretty strange.

Inflatabel Man, Roz gave some very good suggestions. We flew 13 times with our guide dog puppy when she was 1-2 years old. She did well on all the flights even though she wasn't a fully trained guide dog. About half of those flights were with my husband so we had two seats together which helped. And on some of the other flights I had an extra seat. But on two flights we only had my seat. On one of those flights we were in the middle seat between two men in business suits. I was so proud of Heidi as she squeezed under the seat in front of us and stayed there for most of the flight with my legs on either side of her to prevent her hair from getting all over the men. :) I did bring a tape wand onboard in case we needed it but we didn't.

People who are disabled and travelling with a trained service dog can get their seat(s) in the bulkhead row (as long as it isn't an exit row, which on some planes/airlines it is, grr) as per the law. (Ppl who have a leg that doesn't bend, such as a prosthetic, also have priority for the bulkhead.) Call the airline in advance to reserve your bulkhead seat (if you buy your flights online, call after you buy them; if you buy your flights over the phone, don't mention the SD/seats until after you have your confirmation number [i've heard that some ppl will be told the flight is booked if they mention the SD before they buy the tickets!]). Non-disabled ppl know (are told) when they book those seats that there is a chance they will get reassigned because of a disabled person needing the seat, so there is no need to feel bad about kicking somebody who already bought that seat out of their seat.

Our current guide dog puppy is a big drinker. I'd have to withold water for a few days for him to fly in comfort! :eek:

LOL!!! :D Sometimes drinking lots of water is a sign of health trouble, so if you haven't had him checked for anything that causes that, you might want to make sure he's fine. (Some dogs just drink a lot of water.)

Quam: You always have good questions and comments.....In answer to the TSA NOT being allowed to take the leash of your Service Dog....NOT TRUE.....They may take the leash and the dog and hand both back to you after you've been screened. They may or may not unzip any pouches on the dogs vest...and they may even "pat-down" your dog.......If you need your dog to walk or stand; they may offer another officer to assist you, until they feel your dog is safe! This is never a problem and they are more than helpful!

Prior to 9/11, they were not so "squeemish" about our dogs......everything and everybody is open for question and suspicion.......

14 different times the TSA has handled Brenda 14 different ways......I don't mind any handling of her, as long as they are kind/considerate and respectful of her! I've NEVER been faced with anyone in TSA who treated her badly.....some are scared of her.....I find that amazing, considering their job!!!!!!

We were not allowed to leave the plane because it was shortly after 9/11 and restrictions/rules and regulations were not clear to anybody....I didn't fuss....I wanted things to go as easily as possible for all concerned so I followed what they thought would be the best for Brenny. It worked out okay....although, the Stewardess had forgotten the command for going to the bathroom....Brenda knew she was a "newbie" and went anyway!

The beach with the roaming dogs was part of a hotel.....I don't see how any paid or unpaid area could stop these dogs....obviously, they couldn't! Keep your eyes open and look for them......I headed back into the hotel, for safety the second I spotted them; sniffing their way up the beach! There were locals, at the entrances, to keep out strays, of all kinds!!!!!!

The license tag (from your city) has a paper license, as well. I always put that in "Brenda's Papers" folder! The city license was perused by the authorities when re-entering the USA, at the dock.

Although she wears all her tags on her collar.....they NEVER looked at them.....only the paper documentation.

Going through immigration, the officer looked at the various Vet forms; vaccinations and Agricultural Inspection form...he looked at the date, saw that it was dated in August, 2007 and NEVER said a word.....He simply smiled at me and Brenda and welcomed us home!!!!!!

And, to the folks who made all the negative comments about the Golden....I say...."Pooshah!" Not that their experiences are not their own.....I just never had any bad ones.......The buffet area is a concern of a lot of people; it's not meant to be a straight line buffet.....it's in stations.....much easier to maneuver, once you stop thinking like a "sheep!"

Happy cruising..We're off, again, on January 20th and I can't wait!:p

In answer to the TSA NOT being allowed to take the leash of your Service Dog....NOT TRUE.....They may take the leash and the dog and hand both back to you after you've been screened. They may or may not unzip any pouches on the dogs vest...and they may even "pat-down" your dog.......If you need your dog to walk or stand; they may offer another officer to assist you, until they feel your dog is safe! This is never a problem and they are more than helpful!

While it may have happened to you, they aren't s'posed to take the dog's leash from you (taking control of the dog). You can be screened just fine through the walk-through detector while holding onto the leash and if only your dog rings the alarm, only your dog will be screened even though you were holding the leash. I do this every time I fly, which is often. Send the dog through when the agent motions for the first go-through. Then, wait to go through yourself 'til the agent motions for you to go through (usually after the alarm has turned off).

I put my dog's pack through the x-ray in my carry-on bag for ease (that way, the TSA won't have to rifle through it, which would also make security an even longer process). She still wears her harness, which always sets the alarm off (all that metal!), just not the pack.

My dog always gets the pat-down, since her harness always sets off the detector. Sometimes they swipe her harness with an explosives testing pad, too. (SDs do not have to go through the puffer machines, however!) And, yeah, some of those agents do not like dogs at all! Guess they stay away from the sniffer dogs some of the other agents work with, too, huh?

14 different times the TSA has handled Brenda 14 different ways......

Yup, it can be different from person to person. One of my last times I even got a new guy who hadn't yet been taught the rules - he had no clue what to do with "the dog"! He got help from his co-workers (or maybe it was a supervisor), though.

We were not allowed to leave the plane because it was shortly after 9/11 and restrictions/rules and regulations were not clear to anybody....I didn't fuss....I wanted things to go as easily as possible for all concerned so I followed what they thought would be the best for Brenny. It worked out okay....although, the Stewardess had forgotten the command for going to the bathroom....Brenda knew she was a "newbie" and went anyway!

Ah, gotcha. :) That was nice of Brenda to "go" even though the lady forgot the word, hehe.

The beach with the roaming dogs was part of a hotel.....I don't see how any paid or unpaid area could stop these dogs....obviously, they couldn't! Keep your eyes open and look for them......I headed back into the hotel, for safety the second I spotted them; sniffing their way up the beach! There were locals, at the entrances, to keep out strays, of all kinds!!!!!!

Ah, wow. Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll bring a bottle of DirectStop with me, just in case.

The license tag (from your city) has a paper license, as well. I always put that in "Brenda's Papers" folder! The city license was perused by the authorities when re-entering the USA, at the dock.

Ah, I see. We don't have paper licenses - just rabies certificates and tags.

Happy cruising..We're off, again, on January 20th and I can't wait!:p

Wow, again?! You crazy, lady!! ;) Where are you going this time and one what line?

Roz;

Thanks for the suggestions, we have flown with Tyrone (7 years old) numerous times and have never had and issue but the longest flight has been three hours. I have found some flights through Denver on the way to Anchorage and both legs are only 4 to 5 hours long. I am confident that he can make that no trouble at all. Again thanks for the ice chips idea. We look forward to our Alaskan cruise with my son and his best friend.