Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

OK Now down to business. Does anyone know who got a phone call from CCI???? I DO!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! We leave Sunday, someone cancelled. We can't believe it!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cindy and John

Also anyone interested, you can go to CCI.org click on northeast reigon, then click on Graduation and one of those dogs in the pic is ours!!!!

Cindy & John: We must have been posting at the same time.......I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU BOTH......I'M CRYING AS I WRITE THIS........CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! I'VE GOT GOOSE BUMPS ALL OVER!!!!!!! IT'S YOUR TURN!!!!!!!

In just a few weeks you'll have your baby!!!!!!! You'll have your partner and friend. How lucky are you!!!!!!!!

I'm going to the website as soon as I can stop shaking and check out all the dogs......One of them is YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, please keep us informed as to how you're doing and most importantly, come back and tell us all about your new buddy!!!!!!

Have fun, take it one day at a time, try to enjoy the experience. Team Training will go so fast. Take lots of pictures.

I'm so, so happy for you both.........BREATH!!!!!!!!!

OK Now down to business. Does anyone know who got a phone call from CCI???? I DO!!!!!!!!!! OMG!! We leave Sunday, someone cancelled. We can't believe it!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Cindy and John

Also anyone interested, you can go to CCI.org click on northeast reigon, then click on Graduation and one of those dogs in the pic is ours!!!!

OMG, Cindy. I have goosebumps too! I bet you and John are besides yourselves. I am going to the website just as soon as I'm done typing.

Nancy

Roz: We all know better that you are the best mom. I wonder if you could get the booties and put them in Brenny's bag, then you would have them? Not sure about how to get them on her quickly though? Her pads should be tough enough for that short amount of time. Let us know how she is doing.

Nancy

Thanks All! We are very excited, but keeping our cool...We all know what happened last time :eek: One of the dogs in the pic was there when we went for our interview. He needed alittle more work. The other 3 graduated in the last class. He looked alot like my Bailee, before she was gray. We visited a girl that was in Johns class with the Cujo today. Her and the dog need work. We are glad we are getting a dog from CCI. I'm sure any of them are wonderful. If they have a computer there I will try to keep all of you updated. Not much time to think about things like the fact that we will be training on Rangeleys 1 yr anni. Kinda freaky :confused:

Cindy

Cindy:

I know this sounds crazy, but things happen for a reason. I am sure Rangeley had something to do with the cancellation! :D Hang in there. We are all rooting for you guys.

I also love the picture with the yellow, black set-up. What a group of kids! I would take any of them or all of them.:o

Nancy

Yippeeee! Every time I wrote you I was hoping it would happen that way for you guys! It was meant to be.

Please, please, please give us updates so we can share the experience with you.

Any one of those CCI dogs will be great...but there is "the one" there that is meant to be paired with you guys. You will know it when it happens. Good luck and send pics.

Roz it could happen to any of us. It is obvious you take very good care of Brenda and love her very much.

Kim and Keldon (brother CCI dog - 4 years old as of Monday)

Thanks All! We are very excited, but keeping our cool...We all know what happened last time :eek: One of the dogs in the pic was there when we went for our interview. He needed alittle more work. The other 3 graduated in the last class. He looked alot like my Bailee, before she was gray. We visited a girl that was in Johns class with the Cujo today. Her and the dog need work. We are glad we are getting a dog from CCI. I'm sure any of them are wonderful. If they have a computer there I will try to keep all of you updated. Not much time to think about things like the fact that we will be training on Rangeleys 1 yr anni. Kinda freaky :confused:

Cindy

Congrats Cindy,

Yes, there is a computer there that everyone can use. I'm not sure you will have the time or the energy to post much. The first week is especially stressful. We organized a BBQ on Sunday after the first week and gave everyone a chance to decompress. The second week went alot better.

Hopefully Jess will be your "Dorm Mom". If she is, ask her if she needs to go shopping. :D Also, if you remember, tell her I will be e-mailing CCI some pics of Orson's first cruise. :p Just take one day at a time, try not to get flustered and enjoy the experience. Also, there is a great place to eat in Medford. It's called J&R's Steakhouse. Great food and great prices.

DisneyKidsDad is right. The first week is rigorous. The more well prepared you are with sleep, food to make in the dorms, etc. the easier it will be for you. It is funny to look at the dogs on the CCI site...several of them look just like Keldon. it could be him sitting in the picture!

Good luck and have fun.

Kim and Keldon

Thanks everyone. Brenda's "tootsies" are all good today. I never did tell Morey what happened......He'd be holding her on his lap and rocking her! She's all good...you guys are the best when it comes to encouragement and support.

Besides, NOTHING'S, as important right now, than what's happening to Cindy and John......"Rangeley" was truly looking down on both of you!

CCI does an amazing job on training and follow-up. You'll meet some truly wonderful new friends and Miracle Working Dogs!!!!!

Now, I have to go and check-out all the dogs and try and guess which one will be YOURS!!!!! ;)

Cindy & John: OMG!!!! I looked at the dogs, they're ALL so gorgeous and those names.....I printed it......and, when you write us back and let us know which one is yours.....I'll connect the dots!

You both must be so excited.....I know I am.

Take along some of your favorite snacks and food. You'll have an opportunity to go to a market and shop for stuff you may want to eat.

There will be a kitchen with all the conveniences for you to cook. And laundry facilities.

Volunteers will be making you lunch and, you can go out to eat with your new friends (humans). We weren't allowed to take our new Canine Companions off campus, until after graduation. I don't know if this has changed in the past 7 years. We put our dogs in their crates. Believe me, the crate is a comfort zone for the dogs. They're just as excited and bewildered by the whole experience as you are.

Although, with all the new changes and transfer of handlers in their lives, these dogs become adjusted and bond so quickly.

Don't forget your favorite pillow and PJ's. Make yourselves as comfortable as you can.

Bring a notebook with lots of writing paper and, a good pen & pencil. CCI will supply you with all that you need. But, I'm glad that I had a separate notebook and my favorite writing implements for all my notes.

Get lots of sleep. And, the closer you stick to a good schedule, the easier it will be for you.

Do I sound excited or what......I'll leave you alone.....I promise not to badger you too much.

We know all about the stress of training. After all the stuff we went through training with Joe, and the other problems we had there, this should be a breeze for us. We just recieved our handbook and dvd's. I scanned through it and it's pretty basic stuff. The only problem I see is the commands. We had alot of different commands with Rangeley, and Bailee learned them on her own. Shes so smart!! Some are the same or close to the old ones, like we say "jump on" and "hold it" instead of jump and hold. The only other problem is John won't be able to watch the Red Sox :eek::eek: That will be like detox!! I don't know if he can make it the whole 2 weeks without them. Actually there is 4 games with the Yankees the first week, maybe that will ease his pain. :D hehehe

Cindy

Roz, Please do not stop badgering us!! You and everyone else on this site have been my lifesavers at times. I love all the dogs too. The only thing is that I really would prefer a lab. Goldens are great but the grooming part of them I would not like!!

We are going to do all our shopping down there, only thing that we will bring is my bagels. If we had the 6 weeks notice, I would have made food and froze it.

We won't know til Wednesday what dog we will be getting , but I will let you know.

I just went to Petco online and sent a big care package of things they needed. The list was on the CCI site. We just want them to know how much we appreciate them.

Cindy

Roz, Please do not stop badgering us!! You and everyone else on this site have been my lifesavers at times. I love all the dogs too. The only thing is that I really would prefer a lab. Goldens are great but the grooming part of them I would not like!!

We are going to do all our shopping down there, only thing that we will bring is my bagels. If we had the 6 weeks notice, I would have made food and froze it.

We won't know til Wednesday what dog we will be getting , but I will let you know.

***I just went to Petco online and sent a big care package of things they needed. The list was on the CCI site. We just want them to know how much we appreciate them.

Cindy

***Such a good idea......I have an automatic withdrawel from my checking account set-up just for CCI. I can't thank them enough!!!!!

I NEVER wanted a Black Lab, I wanted a Yellow Lab or a Golden. Now, I can't imagine my life without a Black Lab. And, she has a Pedigree (pure Black Lab)....not too common, in Service Dog circles.

Brenda also has a very unusual "double coat", she looks and feels like a Teddy Bear! I love her!!!!

Keep us informed!

Isn't that funny. We wanted a chocolate lab, but they only had yellows and black. Of course in this heat we decided we wanted a yellow. Can't imagine how our life would have been without Renie. He use to get soft little tufts of hair that came right out when you pulled on them. Had a lot on his thigh and big ole butt area. He use to love us to scratch on his back, right at his tail. He would bounce from foot to foot and smile!

Nancy

I was looking for a golden(for my pet) and then when I saw this mix of golden and lab(mom was a black lab) we went for our sweet Sandy. So now instead of a pretty golden with all that soft fur, we have our "byd" big yellow dog. And love love love her!!!

My favorite grooming tool is the "furminator". It works great on the undercoat. Doesn't eliminate the shedding, but helps.

On a fun note I have PUPPIES! Two golden retriever puppies are spending a week with me. Sandy has already gone over some house rules(dont' jump on the adult) and these two are already giving her some space, but still wagging tails and lot's of play bows. Too cute.

Edited by sunshine426

I was looking for a golden(for my pet) and then when I saw this mix of golden and lab(mom was a black lab) we went for our sweet Sandy. So now instead of a pretty golden with all that soft fur, we have our "byd" big yellow dog. And love love love her!!!

My favorite grooming tool is the "furminator". It works great on the undercoat. Doesn't eliminate the shedding, but helps.

On a fun note I have PUPPIES! Two golden retriever puppies are spending a week with me. Sandy has already gone over some house rules(dont' jump on the adult) and these two are already giving her some space, but still wagging tails and lot's of play bows. Too cute.

Puppies are the answer to all the world's problems!!!!!! ;)

I had a chocolate lab when I was married. He lived to 15yrs. He was beautiful but so so DUMB! When we asked at the previous dog place why they had no chocolates, he said they are too dumb.

We are having a contest with our family. We sent them the pic of the dogs and they will pick one, then the winner will get a dinner with us and the new dog. Wish we had known earlier, then we could have had a 50/50 raffle and half would go to CCI. But we thought this would be fun.

We noticed a golden in the pic. We really don't want a golden because of the grooming, although the one in the pic looks beautiful. But we will see.

Cindy

Edited by rangeley

I had a chocolate lab when I was married. He lived to 15yrs. He was beautiful but so so DUMB! When we asked at the previous dog place why they had no chocolates, he said they are too dumb.

We are having a contest with our family. We sent them the pic of the dogs and they will pick one, then the winner will get a dinner with us and the new dog. Wish we had known earlier, then we could have had a 50/50 raffle and half would go to CCI. But we thought this would be fun.

We noticed a golden in the pic. We really don't want a golden because of the grooming, although the one in the pic looks beautiful. But we will see.

Cindy

I want in, just for the fun of it.....I pick "Bachelor!"

I can't wait to hear your future stories of your cruising with your Service Dog!!!!!!!

One of the fundraisers in my office has two chocolate Labs, we set-up a playdate with them and Brenda. OMG! I couldn't believe what "moron's" they were (and, you know me.....I adore all dogs) but, honestly, they were so clueless, so gorgeous to look at but so, well, stupid!!!!!!

I threw a tennis ball and the male ran to get it (I thought; this will be fun), he got to the ball, picked it up, brought it half-way back...stopped, looked at me with the most stupifying, dumbstruck look on his face and dropped it! It's almost as if he had an attack of Alzheimer's enroute!!!!!! The female had absolutely no interest in it at all and refused to sit or lay when her owner gave her the commands.

What's up with the chocolate thing? I have NEVER seen one as a working dog or even a cross with another dog!

I know what it is......it's all that chocolate.....see, they keep telling us too much is not good for you!:eek:

Cindy,

BRING EAR PLUGS! Once you are paired with a dog the dog stays in their crate at night in your room. When they turn over in their crate it is really noisy. If you can sleep through anything then you will be ok, if you can't then you might want to bring them.

You can tell me to stop offering helpful hints anytime!

Kim and Keldon

Cindy,

BRING EAR PLUGS! Once you are paired with a dog the dog stays in their crate at night in your room. When they turn over in their crate it is really noisy. If you can sleep through anything then you will be ok, if you can't then you might want to bring them.

You can tell me to stop offering helpful hints anytime!

Kim and Keldon

Good idea! I forgot about that!!!! Go buy a "cheapy" bathroom rug, at WalMart - these dogs have been raised to sleep on cement and plastic - no big deal to them. But the rug will cushion their sleep and your ears. And, "Bachelor" will love the comfort!!!!!!

Wait, Cindy, I think I like "Sandler", too!

My vote: "Bachelor" or "Sandler"

When I went to Team Training......I voted for "Nell" for me.........I absolutely did NOT want "Brenda".....so, don't trust my picks!!!!!

The Trainers know so much better than we do......The third day she was sleeping in our room, I laid down on the floor with her......I looked into her eyes, she stared right back at me......and, she drew me right into her soul......IT WAS LOVE!!!!!!

I mean; in your heart and soul and skin and stomach LOVE!!!!!! I can't explain it, I don't think I ever will be able to!

If you've ever felt this way about a being; you know what I mean!!!!!

I lost my 9 year old hearing assist dog in June, right before we went to Alaska. I spent the trip heart broken. I used to train for an agency, and I trained her. She was a bearded collie. While in Alaska, I found out that there was no litter from the breeding I was hoping to get a new girl from.

Last Friday, my new girl arrived from England. I was thrilled! She handled being brought to me on a forklift perfectly. We're six months away from full training and a complete team, but the vast crater in my heart from losing Lessa is starting to fill!

She's already carrying objects like remotes and phones, so it will be fairly easy to shape picking up things I drop and don't notice--like iPods and keys. She's confident, too, for a baby, which really makes me feel good. I knew I depended upon Lessa, I just didn't know how much! I look forward to cruising with Missy some day.