Digital Camera vs DSLR Camera

CALMOM

O.K. I am in real need for advise but please make it simple, I am not a high tech type of person. I am going to Alaska for the first time and really want to get some great pictures of landscape and wildlife.

I currently have a Olympus 810 Digital camera, it has a gazillion buttons and options but the problem is after having it almost a year I either a) I'm not as smart as the camera or b) it is not a very good camera. It sometimes takes the most incredible pictures and sometimes the worst pictures. I have tried all of the shooting modes but have failed to find a consistant mode to take good pictures. A big problem is for some reason the battery (the one that came with the camera) and the 5 other batteries I purchased for back up seem to all have enough power for about 30 pictures and then it warns me the battery is low. It has been very frustrating to me because when I took it on my last cruise, only 50% of the pictures turned out and now I am scared to use it for my Alaska cruise.

I know that the operator has to be as good if not better than the camera but now my question is, would a DSLR be more reliable. I paid over $350 for my Olympus 810 so I am not over excited about purchasing another camera. I would like a camera that I don't have to change settings all the time, just point and shoot.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Sounds like you have a problem with the camera or you are buying the wrong batteries for the camera. Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries and did you have this problem from the beginning?

Have you also reset the camera to the normal specifications just to make sure that you hadn't changed anything?

Unfortunately, just like any other component things can go wrong on the cameras and many times it more cost effective to just get a new one.

There really are lots of good cameras. The basic digitals are getting better all of the time and the DSLR's can give you more capabilities but are also easy to use to on automatic mode. The advantage of the latter is the lenses. The lenses are better and can allow you to take better pictures from far away.

Everyone has their prefered camera. If not there would be only one kind. I have been taking pictures for a long time now and I would recommend either Nikon or Cannon. Personally, I prefer Nikon but sometimes it's all a flip of a coin.

Keith

The Olympus you already own is a great little camera and with a couple pointers you should be able to take the photos you want. Go to the website at the address below and click on the 'shooting guide' or the 'on-line lessons' section under 'support center for Olympus'. Both should help and give you specific information.

Two of the best things about your camera: 1) it's weatherproof(!!!) and that should be wonderful for Alaska and 2) it has the digital stabilization technology to help prevent blurred photos. The drawback to stabilization is that there can be a short delay in the picture taking while the camera does it's thing. So be sure to hold the camera as steady as you can for 1 second after you press the button to take the photo. Some people have a tendency to point, click, and move the camera very quickly. My husband had to turn off the stabilization feature for that reason on his camera but on equipment as light weight as yours it's hard to take pictures without moving the body of the camera just a little when you press the button. A tripod or monopod would solve the problem but that just defeats the purpose of having a camera small enough to fit in a pocket! You just can't win sometimes. Of course if you are taking photos in wilderness areas you can always use the monopod as a walking stick, I guess.

A digital SLR will give you more options, not less, so would be more complicated. I'm certain your camera has an automatic setting that will let the camera decide the best aperature, focal length, etc. for the conditions.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1223

Hope some of that helps!

I can't really understand the battery problem you are having. Temperature can affect battery life. Really cold temperatures can shorten battery life, but I doubt you are dealing with that in California. There are some modes of usage in point and shoot cameras that require more power, ie continuous focus (is you camera always trying to maintain focus when it's on or does it wait to focus until you depress the shutter halfway). Lot's of reviewing the shots you've already taken eats power, lots of flash usage eats power - especially in low light. But even under all these conditions, 30 minutes of battery use seems too short.

Well, I doubt all of the above qualifies as keeping it simple. Anyway, if you decide to get an entry level dSLR, I recommend the Canon Rebel series. But if you buy a new camera, whatever the camera, I would recommend getting it soon and spending some time between now and your cruise getting comfortable with it. I would recommend going to a good camera store and finding someone who will help you. I live in the LA area and there are several good camera stores here. I think some of them even offer halfday seminars for beginners.

The current ideal "Travel Camera" is the Panasonic TZ-3, a point and shoot camera with 10x optical zoom (28-280mm, 35mm equivalent). It's wide-angle is wider than your current camera (great for landscape and scenic photos). It has image-stabilization. It is somewhat large compact camera. It is somewhat awkward to put it in your shirt pocket. However, don't put away your Olympus 810. It is the right camera for all those rainy days in Alaska. (It is a weather-proof camera, right?) Just charge the batteries every night like your cell-phone.

The Olympus you already own is a great little camera and with a couple pointers you should be able to take the photos you want. Go to the website at the address below and click on the 'shooting guide' or the 'on-line lessons' section under 'support center for Olympus'. Both should help and give you specific information.

Two of the best things about your camera: 1) it's weatherproof(!!!) and that should be wonderful for Alaska and 2) it has the digital stabilization technology to help prevent blurred photos. The drawback to stabilization is that there can be a short delay in the picture taking while the camera does it's thing. So be sure to hold the camera as steady as you can for 1 second after you press the button to take the photo. Some people have a tendency to point, click, and move the camera very quickly. My husband had to turn off the stabilization feature for that reason on his camera but on equipment as light weight as yours it's hard to take pictures without moving the body of the camera just a little when you press the button. A tripod or monopod would solve the problem but that just defeats the purpose of having a camera small enough to fit in a pocket! You just can't win sometimes. Of course if you are taking photos in wilderness areas you can always use the monopod as a walking stick, I guess.

A digital SLR will give you more options, not less, so would be more complicated. I'm certain your camera has an automatic setting that will let the camera decide the best aperature, focal length, etc. for the conditions.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1223

Hope some of that helps!

Thank you so much, I will go check out the web site.

I can't really understand the battery problem you are having. Temperature can affect battery life. Really cold temperatures can shorten battery life, but I doubt you are dealing with that in California. There are some modes of usage in point and shoot cameras that require more power, ie continuous focus (is you camera always trying to maintain focus when it's on or does it wait to focus until you depress the shutter halfway). Lot's of reviewing the shots you've already taken eats power, lots of flash usage eats power - especially in low light. But even under all these conditions, 30 minutes of battery use seems too short.

Well, I doubt all of the above qualifies as keeping it simple. Anyway, if you decide to get an entry level dSLR, I recommend the Canon Rebel series. But if you buy a new camera, whatever the camera, I would recommend getting it soon and spending some time between now and your cruise getting comfortable with it. I would recommend going to a good camera store and finding someone who will help you. I live in the LA area and there are several good camera stores here. I think some of them even offer halfday seminars for beginners.

I do notice hearing a sound come from the camera everytime I move it, so I think it is always trying to focus. My biggest problem is I bought it in the box at a retailer and never talked to someone in person. I just did my homework online and that is how I determined to purchase that camera. I now know that I should of spoke with someone in person that could of showed me how to operate it properly. When I do get great pictures, they are really really good but I have also taken some that are very blurry. Maybe the previous post is correct, maybe I am moving the camera too fast after I take the picture. Technology gets better but the human brain does not always. Thank you for your help.

If you say your camera makes noises everytime you move it, it sounds like you have continuous-focusing on your camera. To test for it, just go through the motions of taking a picture, but instead of hitting the shutter and without moving your camera, put your hand in front of the lens, if it makes noise, you have continuous-focusing. Continuous-focusing just eats up battery power. If you can turn it off, turn if off. Your only option is to turn your camera off when you are not using it.

Sounds like you have a problem with the camera or you are buying the wrong batteries for the camera. Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries and did you have this problem from the beginning?

the Stylus 810 comes with a Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery and Charger. I bought 2 extra batteries and keep them fully charged at all times for my Stylus 410. (My biggest problem is leaving the extra batteries in the cabin! :eek: )

Are you starting out with a fully-charged battery - one that you just recently charged - not one that was charged when you returned from your previous vacation - maybe a year prior?

I do see your model has no viewfinder so you've probably got the LCD on much more than I have mine on. What resolution are you shooting on - SHQ (super high quality)? I think that eats up the battery quicker than just HQ.

You said only ~ 50% turned about - what about the other 50% - were they dark? black? not there? blurry? what? can you describe what they look like?

I have owned 5 Olympus point-and-shoots since 1999. They're a wonderful product so don't discount the camera!!!! Probably the easiest and quickest remedy is to go to your local camera store and tell them what you told us. They will be able to see what you see and might be able to give you some pointers. (I think I mentioned in another thread you may have been on that I just bought the Olympus SP-510 and took it back the 2nd day b'c the pix were out of focus and not capturing action shots quickly enough. The camera shop told me that 1) I needed to get closer to the subject as the zooming causes blurriness if there's any camera movement - so much for using a zoom and 2) my subject needed to not move! :rolleyes: Needless to say, I just stuck with the other models which didn't seem to present such a problem - I assume b'c they didn't have as strong of a zoom. It took them about 2 minutes to figure it out by looking at the pix on my memory card.)

about the noise - you don't have it in movie mode, do you????????????

What resolution are you shooting on - SHQ (super high quality)? I think that eats up the battery quicker than just HQ.
I'm not familiar with this camera, but I don't think the quality setting will affect battery use. It will, however, affect how quickly your cards fill up. I still recommend high quality and plenty of cards.

O.K. I went out today and took my camera to a camera retailer and asked them what my problem was and this was what they came up with:

1. Because the camera has a auto-focus & stabilizer, as soon as I turn

the camera on the battery is working whether I am taking a picture

or not. I shoot at the highest resolution and zoom a lot, that uses a

lot of the battery. The noise is the stabilizer and auto-focus.

2. It doesn't matter if I have a $100 or $1,000 camera, the pictures

are only as good as the photographer is (that being me:o ). They

also suggested I take a photography class . They said the camera I

have is an excellent compact camera (compact being the key word)

and it has several features that I need to learn how to use.

3. Back to the key word (compact), if a person wants the convienece

of a compact camera, they have to sacrafice something and that

is the lens distance. My current camera is only 3X and they felt I

would need at least a 10X to get the pictures I want in Alaksa.

4. They suggested that I use my compact for the rainy times since it

is waterproof and get another digital camera (not compact) for the

type of pictures I want when it is not raining. They also suggested

that I make sure I buy a camera with a view finder and one that

used AA batteries, more costly (batteries) but more convienent.

5. They have suggested the Canon S5 IS (just released last week). It

has a 12X Optical Zoom Lens w/ Lens Shift Type Image Stabilization.

It is a 8 Megapixels, viewfinder (image is through the lens not just

through the actual viewfinder), used AA Batteries. It also allows

me to purchase a lens adapter and use several other types of lens.

The cost was $500. Here is the web site for

more specs :http://web.canon.jp/imaging/pss5is/index-e.html

So my question is, is what they are telling me correct and would this camera they are suggesting serve me needs for Alaska in addition to my Olympus 810? Everyone has been so wonderful in response to my questions, I truly appreciate it.

Calmom, consider me the devil whispering in your ear. You seem pretty interested in photography, since you went through all these discussions and went to see a retailer. Here's what I suggest, get the Canon Rebel xti and a longer zoom lens (something like 75-300) and take a class and commit to learning how to use it. This will cost you closer to $1200, but I don't know the prices exactly. It will also be the base you can grow from as you learn more about photography. It's a great hobby and it sounds like you are itching to jump in. Like said, I'm the devil whispering in your ear.

I'm sure the Canon your retailer mentioned or the Panasonic that some people here mentioned are also excellent intermediate steps. Either way, read the manual, take some time to practice with the camera, and take a class if you can. Look at lots pf photos, from many photographers, and try to understand what you like and don't like about them. Make a photo friend who you can share your photos with and discuss how to improve them.

Happy shooting!

Calmom, consider me the devil whispering in your ear. You seem pretty interested in photography, since you went through all these discussions and went to see a retailer. Here's what I suggest, get the Canon Rebel xti and a longer zoom lens (something like 75-300) and take a class and commit to learning how to use it. This will cost you closer to $1200, but I don't know the prices exactly. It will also be the base you can grow from as you learn more about photography. It's a great hobby and it sounds like you are itching to jump in. Like said, I'm the devil whispering in your ear.

I'm sure the Canon your retailer mentioned or the Panasonic that some people here mentioned are also excellent intermediate steps. Either way, read the manual, take some time to practice with the camera, and take a class if you can. Look at lots pf photos, from many photographers, and try to understand what you like and don't like about them. Make a photo friend who you can share your photos with and discuss how to improve them.

Happy shooting!

Sounds great but $1,200 is a little out of my price range. The retailer that suggested the Canon S5 IS said they provide a half-day class twice a month to learn how to get the most out of your camera and the class is free through them. I am interested in Photography becasue I am a big scrapbooker.

Sounds great but $1,200 is a little out of my price range. The retailer that suggested the Canon S5 IS said they provide a half-day class twice a month to learn how to get the most out of your camera and the class is free through them. I am interested in Photography becasue I am a big scrapbooker.
That's great that they have a class.

CALMOM,

The camera retailer is essentially correct. I have the feeling that you just want to have better pictures than what you are getting now, but that you really don't have a real interest in photography. For Alaska, the best cameras are ultra-zooms and DSLR's. The Canon S5IS is an ultra-zoom, a very good all-around camera with probably the best video on any consumer camera outside of a camcorder. I have a Fujifilm S6000fd, an ultra-zoom. It is probably the best ultra-zoom on the market in terms of picture quality, but it is not a beginner's camera and it doesn't have image stabilization which should be necessity for you. Unless you are interested in photography, stay away from DSLR's as they can be expensive and cumbersome. However, if you like to shoot pictures in low-light, DSLR's are the way to go.

If you want a camera for Alaska and want to spend a less money than what you have to pay for a Canon S5IS, get a Panasonic FZ8 or a discontinued Sony H2/H5. The former you should be able to pick up for under $350 and the latter for under $300. In fact, you could pick up the discontinued Canon S3IS as the S5IS is not a big improvement if you can get it at a good price.

Oh yes, what type of lens adapter did the retailer recommend to you?

Being a camera guru, by hobby only. I 2 newer nice point and shoot camera. While to do a nice job for stills etc on the ship. You can not beat the DSLR

that you can buy today. I have the nikon D100 and getting ready to buy the D200 before the next trip. Here are some reasons I think you need a DSLR.

1. Telephoto lenses. You will not get close ups of wildlife like you will on the

point and shoot.

2. Shutter speed. Most point and shoot can not take pictures as quickly

as you can with a DSLR. For an example we were on a whale watching

excursion with friends. With my DSLR and got alot of nice shots of whales

breaching. Because of the focus time on the point and shot you get alot

of nice pics of water splashes. Most DSLR can take 3+ pics per second.

3. RAW format. Most point and shot don't shoot in RAW or NEF format. Not having this can make a huge difference if you are planning to print any pics.

However on the bad side. The cost is around 1k+ depending the brand and model. Nikon has some new lower end DSLR D40, D80. I not sure on the price. Good luck.

Hi CalMom,

You are getting a lot of different advice. I think your camera is ok and right now it would better if you learn with the camera you have and get to the point where you are satisfied with the photos you are taking. I went through the same learning curve you are going through and went from an Olympus 730

super-zoom to a Pentax IST D. Very happy with the upgrade and glad I waited.

Rick

Calmom, here is my $0.02 since many people have already given you a lot of great suggestion.

1) Ask yourself whether you are just happy with non-blurry pictures. If so, maybe a good compact is what you really need. I can guess why the other 50% pictures of yours didn't turn out good: (a) automatic metering system of your compact sometimes read the lighting condition wrong,(b) the shutter speed lag causes blurry image. But 50% successful rate is really good. I just went out for a photography walking this morning and shot about 200 pictures: I am only happy with one or two of them and I thought that was time well spent. :o :(

2) dSLR is more complex than compact. But it frees you from the limitation of automatic shooting of compact camera. Once you get used to it, you probably will spend most of time shooting AV- TV- or Manual modes. I agree with photodoodle, Canon Rebel is a good starting point. There are some cheap and high quality telephoto lens from Canon.

Calmom, I looked at the Canon S5 IS and in fact was willing to switch from Olympus brand to Canon to purchase that camera; however, the salesman told me that the response time (from pushing the button to snap of the pix) wasn't any better than the Olympus 510 Ultra Zoom :mad: so I didn't change my loyalty. Be sure to check out the lag time like gazingm42 discussed in his post.

Tough spot you're in (I'm in just about the same spot BTW - gotta beer budget and a champagne taste; really thought that SP510UZ was gonna do it but alas that didn't work!). I will tell you I used to use a 35mm SLR (and so did DH) with the multiple zoom lenses and wide angles and one day "freed" myself from that by buying a point-and-shoot. It was very freeing - but a compromise just the same. To be perfectly frank, I probably only print less than 5% of the pix I even take - just look at them on the computer when I get home and share them with friends and family via Kodak Gallery. I suppose if I had a $1K camera, I'd be more inclined to print a few more but I'll never be an Ansel Adams so do I really want to part with that much $$?! Some days yes and some days NO! LOL :cool: Leaving in less than a week for AK myself, I guess I've resigned myself to sticking with what's already in the closet; however, an upcoming trip to Switzerland in September is calling my name (and the devil's whispering - d-S-L-R)! ;)

Carol459 I'm in your camp. Calmom - good luck whatever you decide (and let us know)!

PS: I'm glad you were able to get to a local retailer who could help you out!

Calmom, I looked at the Canon S5 IS and in fact was willing to switch from Olympus brand to Canon to purchase that camera; however, the salesman told me that the response time (from pushing the button to snap of the pix) wasn't any better than the Olympus 510 Ultra Zoom :mad: so I didn't change my loyalty. Be sure to check out the lag time like gazingm42 discussed in his post.

Tough spot you're in (I'm in just about the same spot BTW - gotta beer budget and a champagne taste; really thought that SP510UZ was gonna do it but alas that didn't work!). I will tell you I used to use a 35mm SLR (and so did DH) with the multiple zoom lenses and wide angles and one day "freed" myself from that by buying a point-and-shoot. It was very freeing - but a compromise just the same. To be perfectly frank, I probably only print less than 5% of the pix I even take - just look at them on the computer when I get home and share them with friends and family via Kodak Gallery. I suppose if I had a $1K camera, I'd be more inclined to print a few more but I'll never be an Ansel Adams so do I really want to part with that much $$?! Some days yes and some days NO! LOL :cool: Leaving in less than a week for AK myself, I guess I've resigned myself to sticking with what's already in the closet; however, an upcoming trip to Switzerland in September is calling my name (and the devil's whispering - d-S-L-R)! ;)

Carol459 I'm in your camp. Calmom - good luck whatever you decide (and let us know)!

since you already have lenses from previous SLR, transition back to dSLR will be less painful than starting from scratch. I often found myself drooling over a new set of lens all the time. It is endless.

Leaving in less than a week for AK myself, I guess I've resigned myself to sticking with what's already in the closet; however, an upcoming trip to Switzerland in September is calling my name (and the devil's whispering - d-S-L-R)! ;)
Well, I guess I'm the official dSLR devil now :p !

I shot on a canon point and shoot from 2001 to 2005 and I loved it. I got some really nice photos with that camera, then I outgrew it. Ultimately it was the shutter lag that forced me to move on to a dSLR. Today's point and shoots (even yesterday's) are capable of getting excellent shots of stationary objects. Anything moving is a crapshoot - a good shot needs some luck. So I think the Swiss Alps will pose patiently for you for your upcoming trip ;) . If your family sits still for a photo, you will be fine with a p&s. If you want snaps of your children/grandchildren/pets running around, you'll have to take a lot of shots to get a few that work. While in Alaska, you will have to arrange for the whales, eagles, etc to cooperate ;)

I looked up the Olympus SP-510UZ and I have a couple of questions:

1. Shutter speed - Canon 1/3200 Olympus 1/1000

2. Continous Shooting - Canon 1.5 shots/sec Large/Fine Mode

0.9 shots/sec Cont. Shoot AF/LV, Large

Olympus 1.65 /sec

3. Megapixels - Canon 8.0

Olympus 7.1

4. Lens - Canon 12X

Olympus 10X

5. Price - Canon $500

Olympus $300

Is the difference worth the $200? I have been told that unless you are printing pictures larger than 11/14 there really is no need for a higher pixel than 6, true or false? So, I'm I wrong that the Canon will shoot a picture faster, I am confused. Thank USAVVY

Calmom, here is my $0.02 since many people have already given you a lot of great suggestion.

1) Ask yourself whether you are just happy with non-blurry pictures. If so, maybe a good compact is what you really need. I can guess why the other 50% pictures of yours didn't turn out good: (a) automatic metering system of your compact sometimes read the lighting condition wrong,(b) the shutter speed lag causes blurry image. But 50% successful rate is really good. I just went out for a photography walking this morning and shot about 200 pictures: I am only happy with one or two of them and I thought that was time well spent. :o :(

2) dSLR is more complex than compact. But it frees you from the limitation of automatic shooting of compact camera. Once you get used to it, you probably will spend most of time shooting AV- TV- or Manual modes. I agree with photodoodle, Canon Rebel is a good starting point. There are some cheap and high quality telephoto lens from Canon.

So dave, since I cannot afford to put out $1200+ on a DSLR, would it be better for me to just save up until I can afford it, instead of purchasing another digital (like the Canon S5 IS) and in another year regretting my purchase wishing I would of held out for a DSLR? Or, do you think the Canon will keep me happy for a couple of years. Either way, I now know I need to go get some lessons on picture taking. I take an average of 200 pictures a month not including vacations or special events (my last cruise I took over 1,000 pictures), so the quality is important to me.

Boy, I thought my brain was over-whelmed with the binocular eduation:confused:

So dave, since I cannot afford to put out $1200+ on a DSLR, would it be better for me to just save up until I can afford it, instead of purchasing another digital (like the Canon S5 IS) and in another year regretting my purchase wishing I would of held out for a DSLR? Or, do you think the Canon will keep me happy for a couple of years. Either way, I now know I need to go get some lessons on picture taking. I take an average of 200 pictures a month not including vacations or special events (my last cruise I took over 1,000 pictures), so the quality is important to me.

Boy, I thought my brain was over-whelmed with the binocular eduation:confused:

That would be a good idea. I would do the same thing as well. You already have a very good compact camera. Trading it for another compact won't gain much.

Archived