Does anyone use Yapta?

I read an article in some online newspaper talking about yapta.com, an airline price watching system where you can put information about flights you want to take or information about flights you've already purchased, and they'll monitor the prices of those flights to see if the price has dropped. If it has dropped enough (configurable), they'll supposedly send you an e-mail alerting you to contact the airline and possibly get a credit for the reduced fare.

I've set it up with three flights we've got coming up over the next couple months, and in all cases, the tickets are more expensive, and for two of them, they're about twice what we paid.

I wish there were something like this for cruises! Imagine, an automated way of finding out that your cruise got cheaper so you could call for a refund!

There's this one I found a while back:

http://www.cruisewatch.de/

Although in German, you can figure it out.

First pick the ship, then the voyage:

Innenkabine - inside

Aussenkabine - oceanview

Balkon - balcony

Suite - ...well... suite

You can register there and have emails sent to you apparently. But I don't know if that works. To be honest, the site seems a bit amateurish.

Any entrepreneurs out there? Buy up the site, translate it into english, and charge $10-25 per cruise people want to watch...

I read an article in some online newspaper talking about yapta.com, an airline price watching system where you can put information about flights you want to take or information about flights you've already purchased, and they'll monitor the prices of those flights to see if the price has dropped. If it has dropped enough (configurable), they'll supposedly send you an e-mail alerting you to contact the airline and possibly get a credit for the reduced fare.

I've set it up with three flights we've got coming up over the next couple months, and in all cases, the tickets are more expensive, and for two of them, they're about twice what we paid.

I wish there were something like this for cruises! Imagine, an automated way of finding out that your cruise got cheaper so you could call for a refund!

LOVE Yapta! DH and I set up our thanksgiving and xmas flights about 2 months ago. Both flights were $350 per person, round trip when I set them up on Yapta.

I bought both flights last week, after yapta had emailed me 4-5 times on each trip that the price had declined. We waited it out because thanksgiving and xmas are/were 6 months away, we figured we had time to see if the tix went down.

In both cases I got the round trips for $200 per person, instead of $350.

Love it!

That's very cool!

I haven't yet tried it for potential future flights, primarily because they don't have a plugin available for Firefox which would make it far more convenient to be able to tag the flights that I see on other web sites.

That's very cool!

I haven't yet tried it for potential future flights, primarily because they don't have a plugin available for Firefox which would make it far more convenient to be able to tag the flights that I see on other web sites.

You don't have to download anything. You can create an account on their site and plug in your flights. They email you if the price goes down.

On Yapta - do you have to have a certain flight in mind or do they give other flights/times??? I'll be looking for flights in March and on NW and Spirit show anything yet and they are really high right now.

LOVE Yapta! DH and I set up our thanksgiving and xmas flights about 2 months ago. Both flights were $350 per person, round trip when I set them up on Yapta.

I bought both flights last week, after yapta had emailed me 4-5 times on each trip that the price had declined. We waited it out because thanksgiving and xmas are/were 6 months away, we figured we had time to see if the tix went down.

In both cases I got the round trips for $200 per person, instead of $350.

Love it!

So, did you actually receive a refund from the airline for the price difference? I had no idea airlines would do that! :)

sas80 hadn't booked the flights yet. Yapta can monitor the pricing of unbooked flights as well.

Unfortunately, what it seems you have to do (and I've not tried this out myself) is to tell Yapta which particular flights you want to monitor, including the carrier and time of day. So, if you want to find the best options for JFK-LAX, you'd need to pick each flight from JFK to LAX that you want to monitor.

So, did you actually receive a refund from the airline for the price difference? I had no idea airlines would do that! :)

Hopefully, I'll be able to answer this sometime in the future. I purchased tickets to Ft. Lauderdale at 10:00 this morning and the price dropped by $30 per person by 12:30 today :( The airlines drive me crazy with the way their prices go up and down!

sas80 hadn't booked the flights yet. Yapta can monitor the pricing of unbooked flights as well.

Unfortunately, what it seems you have to do (and I've not tried this out myself) is to tell Yapta which particular flights you want to monitor, including the carrier and time of day. So, if you want to find the best options for JFK-LAX, you'd need to pick each flight from JFK to LAX that you want to monitor.

BUT - one single round trip fare dropping is a good indicator that other round trip prices, for flights to the same destination, on the same day, thru the same carrier, have also dropped.

This was the situation in my case. We did not book the flights I initially chose to watch, but we did book on the same day, for the same destinations, and saved a bundle.

In order to get an airfare refund for a price drop, a few things have to come into play:

1) Some airlines have a fee ($50-$100) for reissuing the ticket a lower fare. Therefore, obviously, it's only worth pursuing the "refund" if it is greater than their fee.

2) Some airlines give the difference in the form of a voucher, rather than a refund to your credit card.

This all depends upon the airline and on the fare code you purchased.

This site was a great find! Thank you.

I punched in our flight info that I purchased in April and ended up getting a $162.00 credit with Southwest! Last week I found that the JC we have on Mariner dropped and we also got a refund from RCCL for $200.00, and also last week I found a "summer special" with Dollar car rental that also saved us another $85.00!!!

So what does all of this mean? It means that my wife can book a few more spa treatments as well as a few more cocktails!!!

Archived