Where does Princess put the dead people?

bostonlass

This is a blast from the past.
I mean no disrespect but you can find humor in death. We will all die one day.
There was an other post around the same time talking about using a docked ship in New York for the homeless. The same type of jokes were made there as well.

What would they where, how would they do tips etc......it took a not so funny issue and made humor.

This is what happened to a friend of mine while they were on a cruise. They were doing one of the 16 day Panama Canal Trips from FL to LA in 2006, when Rick suffered a massive heart attack in the middle of the night, after trying to revive him for about 45 minutes the ships doctor declared that he had passed away 12:45 in the morning. She said the crew was fantastic, the ships nurse took care of Rick and the stewards took him to the morgue and he stayed there until they got to LA, where an ambulance met them at the port. She said they took him off the ship about 20 minutes after it had docked and she said that no one on the ship ever knew what had happened. She said that they were all so professional about it, from the Doctor all the way down to the Stewards, she said they told her exactly what to expect and when to expect it and if she needed anything just to let them know. She said that they treated her so special, they kept asking if there was anything that they could do for her, the crew sent her flowers, they even gave her back the money that passengers are required to give at the end of the cruise. To this day she still has a special place for everyone on that ship.

She even says that if she ever dies on a cruise, she has it in her will to buried at sea (I guess the Doctor told her how she could do it legally).

I found this post for the first time this morning and was amazed to see it had been revived twice, the resurrections each two years apart. Since death is a reality, I suspect the thread will soon die out then come back to life again in 2010.

Death is no joke, but I see nothing wrong with discussing how it is dealt with at sea, and it's such a serious topic that some humor is helpful while thinking about the practical issues.

I wonder whether heart attacks might be the leading cause of cruise deaths, considering the average age of cruisers. I've seen a man have a heart attack in a restaurant, so I know this can happen anywhere at any time. Just reading this thread made me realize I need to get in better shape before we leave for our cruise in August, as I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle.

Another good thing about this thread is that if I ever see a death or lose one of my loved ones at sea, I will know that the crew will be dealing professionally and sensitively with the family/friends and the problems associated with a sudden death away from home.

Thanks to the OP and those who've contributed to the thread, both the humorous and the serious aspects of the topic.

We have been cruising for over 25 years and even back then there was a dedicated morgue on most ships. Today, I am certain that 100% of the cruise lines have morgues on board. It would never be allowed to use a galley fridge. Sounds like people tend to exagerate!

I googled Burial @ Sea to learn more. Wouldn't you know it, on the right, where sponsor ads are located:

[URL="http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=Bh8bKqM9NSKanFJzI8QSNuOzqAfCCojrk24e8BOTh_7MC8JMJEAYYByDHmPgFKAgwATgAUJWKioMHYMn-yovEpPwPyAEByAKE-7IB2QM8NCYPsoPMBOADAA&num=7&ggladgrp=442952540&gglcreat=1078680560&sig=AGiWqtw8PaIGGkInB6snfLjmnOg_Nun5JQ&q=http://www.target.com/gp/redirect.html/ref%3Dtgt_adv_XSGO0673%3FURL%3D/gp/search%253Ffield-keywords%253Dburial_sea%2526LNM%253Dburial_sea%2526CPNG%253DHome%2BDecor%2526AFID%253Dgoogle%2526LID%253D26149209"][B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#551a8b]Burial Sea[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/URL]
[B]Burial Sea[/B] Online.
Shop Target.com.
[COLOR=#008000][URL="http://www.Target.com"]www.Target.com[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#008000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]What will Target come up w/ next?[/COLOR]

I had a friend who's mother passed away during a tender ride to shore.

Luckily the tender operator turned the tender around and headed back to the ship -- they attempted to revive the lady 3 times twice successfully but the third was not the charm.

The mom was transported to a holding area onboard the ship and the family opted to disembark and fly back to miami.

Carnival did an awesome job with the family -- someone stayed with them as family flew in to help out.... and helped with arrangements to get from belize back to miami....

the body was off loaded a couple days later in miami

[quote name='cruzegirl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]What a disgusting/sad topic/thread to have..... We all know people die, it's a fact of life.... But must it be discussed here?? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Well Debbie, it is a fact of life and it will happen to you, so at one time or another through your life a topic like this will come up. It was your choice to read it, you could have just passed it up.

[quote name='cruzegirl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]What a disgusting/sad topic/thread to have..... We all know people die, it's a fact of life.... But must it be discussed here?? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Apparently so as it has been discussed on and off for 4 years on this thread alone. :eek:

[quote name='Flintstone']A friend of ours died of a heart attack during a Panama Canal cruise a few years back. Talk about a nightmare! A non-US citizen (Wales), living in the US, died in international waters and dropped off in a third world country!! If I remember right...it took nearly 3 weeks to get his body back to the states. It was a horrible experience for his poor wife.
I believe she said they did remove him from the ship late at night as to not disturb too many passengers.
Deb[/quote]

that is really too bad. Sorry to hear your loss

The only thing i have that may be of interest, if any of this is, is that my husband'sgrandfather passed away on the old(Love Boat) Pacific Princess. Place of death was listed as LA, as that is where the ship disembarked.

[quote name='cruzegirl'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]What a disgusting/sad topic/thread to have..... We all know people die, it's a fact of life.... But must it be discussed here?? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

<<__________________
Debbie

In Memory of September 11th
Always Remember, Never Forget.......
>>

Pretty ironic coming from someone with that signature, IMO.

Caro

Cruzegirl,
A sad topic - possibly, a disgusting one - not at all. It is good to know from previous posts that if the worst happens and you or your loved one dies whilst aboard, then the Cruiseline will do everything to assist at an obviously sad time.
BTW I don't even know why I'm on this thread. I'm cruising with Azamara in Aug 08 and was just meandering through all the cruiselines when I saw the fascinating headline albeit from 2004.
Anyway happy cruising and hope it never happens to you.

Archived