Where does Princess put the dead people?

bostonlass

I was talking with DF about cruising in general. The last cruise he was on was on Carnival and during the cruise, a man had a heart attack in the dining room and died. Apparently they stored the body in one of the fridges on board.:(

I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is a "special" fridge for just this purpose or if most cruise lines just use the one in the gally?:eek:

I'm so very sorry for your loss! I had never even thought of any of this before I talked with him and he told me it happened on his cruise. The thought never even occured to me that something like that would happen while you're on vacation.

I asked that question of the staff on my last cruise...and they told me they are taken away from the ship during the nite...when all guests are having their shut eye....don't remember if someone mentioned a helicopter or not...or a tender comes along.

A friend of ours died of a heart attack during a Panama Canal cruise a few years back. Talk about a nightmare! A non-US citizen (Wales), living in the US, died in international waters and dropped off in a third world country!! If I remember right...it took nearly 3 weeks to get his body back to the states. It was a horrible experience for his poor wife.

I believe she said they did remove him from the ship late at night as to not disturb too many passengers.

Deb

Ok - no joking now about "mystery meat" (levity now...)

Consider the demographics...

Fact: The typical 1,500-2,500 pax cruise ships experiences 2-3 fatalities per 7-10 cruise. (HAL maybe more...c'mon levity)

Ships at sea have ALWAYS had to deal with this inevitable/eventuality. Modern cruise ships have infrastructure designed to handle these matters; crew esp. stewards are trained to deal with it and the survivors.

As for the "body put ashore at the FIRST suitable port of call" - probably not; that would likely be highly inconvenient for both berieved and line. Most lines and berieved are better off finishing the voyage or allowing the survivors to pick the disembarkation point (with line and family makings arrangments). As an aside, the ambulance you noticed at dawn on arrival wasn't for "injured"... By all accounts, the major lines handle these matters with appropriate discretion and courtesy; hence, the ignorance of it among the living.

A few years ago, a poster related a family member death at sea (years earlier) of a retired career navy officer whose survivors were able to satisfy the line and the L.A. coroners office [final rights didn't happen until they were within fax/wire contact and jurisdiction] that burial at sea was desired/appropriate/legally sound-legit. It was a memorable post - sounded like an '80's episode. In todays fleet and lines...?

What I was told was that once someone dies they keep the body on the ship because there are all kinds of hoops that they have to jump through if they were to take it off in a foreign port. When Jamie died, they told me that the coroner would be waiting when the ship came in and that he would take the body at that time. The autopsy had to be preformed in New Orleans and the his body was sent back to Iowa. The ship got in on Sunday and his body was returned to Iowa on Tuesday afternoon.

How about this. You stab them we slab them. Then we slip them over the side for you at midnight, port side. Memorial service to be help in the Wedding Chapel. So we had a matching and a dispatching but due to legalit no hatchings allowed.

Not to prolong this...and I'm kind of wondering why DF brought up the subject in the first place:confused: but..........3 deaths per cruise????? I really cannot believe that. I'd like to believe it's the exception to the rule and not an every-cruise experience.

That being said...I think that's what I would like...granted I'd like to be in my 90's....both daughters having married wealthy husbands and grandchildren all set in college off to good careers in the future. I would like to go with Mike and I sitting on the balcony on the last day of a very long cruise to Alaska, knowing that I've led a good life with hard work and hard play and lots of loving.:)

I think a lot more goes on and happens during a cruise than you think. On a large ship with over 2,500 passengers, things happen.

On my Regal cruise to Hawaii, my cabin was on Deck 4, right next to the Medical Center. I saw a constant stream of people who were not only sick but had been hurt -- broken ankles, legs, etc. A friend of my mom's was at the doctor's office a few years ago and after her examination, she was putting on her slacks, lost her balance, fell and broke her hip.

I guess it might be appropriate to re-mention getting insurance here. :)

No, it is my initials S.R and Phnx for Phoenix. I wish I could change the name to something that people had an easier time reading.

SRPHX - thanks - good info - what does SRPHX stand for? Senor Phoenix?

Archived