Tip for Dog lovers on the PG

SuzCruise

I have read on the website of FP's only animal rights organization that there is a US organization trying to help out there. Here is their web address

http://www.estherhoney.org/

I can't vouch for the validity of what they are doing, but it may be worthwhile to shoot them an email to find out, at the minimum, a name or address of someone to write to (other than the minister of tourism). Just a thought.

I know there are larger problems in the world, but I adore my four legged friends more than anything.

Chat Kat:

I hope your report is 100% correct about it now being illegal to slaughter dogs for food (just like cattle) in California. Such was not always the case.

From 1968 to 1971, I was a Capt. in the US Air Force stationed in Sacramento, Ca. Due to our location, a popular day trip for us on weekends was San Francisco. On my first such day trip in late 1968, I was walking into the truely ethnic part of "China Town" and past a Chinese food market. I looked in the window and saw the carcasses of some sort of fairly small animal hanging in the window. I looked closer and was sorry I did. The were dogs! I was with a group of what was supposed to be rough and tough military officers. But we all got literally sick. We were too sick to go have cocktails as we had planned later --- and for a bunch of military guys, that's pretty sick!

I HOPE that the practice of selling dog meat HAS been banned in California!

Thanks,

Richard

Chat Kat:

Yes, I'm absolutely sure they weren't Peking Duck. But, that was 36 years ago. I hope it is not still going on. And, during the Vietnam era, all of the soldiers returning told a similar story about that country. (I wasn't asked to go, did not volunteer, and am not running for President now!)

Thanks,

Richard

• 2 months later...

I just HAD to reply to this old thread, since we just got off the PG a little over a week ago. Based on this report, I packed a couple of small containers of dog treats in my checked luggage. I just couldn't bear the thought of not feeding a little something to those poor creatures.

I must report that I saw very few dogs, and none were starving. We completely circumnavigated Bora Bora during our 4x4 excursion and we spent the whole day on the Bora Bora motu. We only saw one dog there, and HE TURNED UP HIS NOSE AT MY DOG TREATS!!! That's right, he refused to eat my treats! Some of the other passengers got quite a chuckle at the notion that I'd brought these treats all the way from America, and then that finicky French dog wouldn't eat them! :p

As we were packing our luggage for disembarkation -- I decided to just leave the containers of dog treats on the counter by the Tiki god. My husband joked and questioned whether the cabin stewardess would think those treats were OURS!!

We went for two weeks in January. Not one cat or dog seen at the Pearl Beach in Tahaa. One cat at the Hotel Bora Bora, and just a few dogs on the Island that we saw. Moreea we saw 3 dogs gettin off the PG at the dock and maybe 2 dogs the rest of the day. I had the impression that things were out of control before going on the trip but was pleased to witness quite the opposite. No problems in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

glad to hear it. maybe our letter writing forced the gov't to do something but I doubt it....

when I went in august, there were at least 12 dogs on the motu, and tons on bora bora, and huahine ( a side trip we took).

hope the situation keeps improving.

Archived