Airport question RE: glass bottles of perfume..checked luggage? or carry on?

jrmende63

hi...I asked a TSA this question and he said 4.3 ounces or less were fine for the glass colognes. I can only find on the TSA site 3 ounces or less. This TSA works at my airport that I am flying out of. I am just worried since I don't want my expensive cologne thrown away...but don't want it broken in checked luggage either:eek:

I have bubble wrap and was thinking of putting the cologne in that and checking it. I am flying to and from LaGuardia if that makes a difference.

Anyone else have experience with this? thanks! Julie

Julie,

I wouldnt risk it.

You may not have a problem with LGA but you might at the other airport.

Bubble wrap the heck out of the perfume. Place the bottles in shoes or between clothes or something that will absorb impact. Placing them in a ziplock cant hurt either in case of breakage so it wont ruin your clothes.

The official allowable amount is 3 oz. Sometimes TSA might allow it sometimes they wont. I guess it depends on the particular person. If you value your perfume you should pack it in your suitcase and cross your fingers. It can be painful to have to throw it away and have someone else come alone and dig it out of the garbage LOL.

I use two NY airports, LGA and SWF. It seems to be different almost every time. Some are strict some are not.

Good luck with it.

I would not carry it on the plane if it is greater than 3 oz and therefore put it with my checked luggage.

After you bubble wrap the perfume I would also place it in a zip lock bag before you pack it.

Keith

Pack it or buy a smaller bottle if possisble. Better than having it confiscated. Every airport seems to have it's own ways of looking at things, lately. Some more dilligent than others,

thanks for all the answers and advice. I think I will pack it in the checked luggage. I have lots of bubble wrap and will have gallon sized bags. Hopefully it will get there. I am flying out of Charleston SC (to LGA and back) , that is where the TSA said 4.3 ounces but only for the glass perfume bottle. I am not going to risk them getting thrown away...Hubster smells too good in Polo Blue to throw it out!!

Archived