Lunch in Skagway?

EmmaWoodhouse

I've tried a search, but since most people seem to take a longer train/bus trip or a day trip by car, I haven't found an answer.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to eat lunch in the town of Skagway? We're planning a morning bike trip in Dyea and the afternoon 3-hour train ride, so we have a nice window of time (noon till 4). We looooove seafood, so if there's anywhere good for crab/salmon.other seafood, that would be fantastic. I worry that we'll find the Red Onion too touristy (like Epcot's version of the Gold Rush)?

Just got back from Skagway on our cruise last week. We happened to be there on the 4th, very fun and a turn back in time, streets were closed off in the main part of town and it was one giant bbq! We had a couple hot dogs, but then met my folks at a pizzaria on a side street of the main drag. It was called Northern Lights Pizza and it was pretty darn good. Our ships waiter even told us to check it out for some good pizza etc..Take the shuttle for 2 bucks round trip right off the ship and you will be dropped off around the bend a ways and then walk about 5 minutes or so to the town. Or you could eat at one of the restaurants right by the ships docks, theres a few their as well. Have fun, it's a nice city, very beautiful. And yes, you will wait a while for a seat at the Red Onion, fun to stick your head in and look around though, bought a couple gifts there.

Thanks, rclcruzer! That makes me feel better about not starving between excursions. We'll have time after the second excursion to check out the city, and maybe even hit Northern Lights Pizza before we head back to the ship.

There's a seafood restaurant right next to the pier in Skagway--don't remember the name but it might be something really easy like Skagway Fish Company... I ordered a sandwich with a salmon patty which was pretty good. There was a guy at the table next to us who ordered the red king crab legs (about $36) and got a huge plate with ENORMOUS crab legs. If I ate there again, I would try those despite the high price.

I didn't notice a lot of other restaurants in Skagway.

I read on here also that the Kool Sin Indian Coop Resturant was also good. (I think I copied it down right)

Also The Comer Cafe was highly recommended.

Good luck and please report back here when you return I woudl love to hear all about your trip.

Thanks for all the recommendations! We're big fans of options, so it's nice to have several places!

I definitely plan to write a review when I am back-- though no promises (last time I cruised, I promised, and then couldn't because I had to go to my grandmother's funeral the week we got back, and I'd rather not jinx my other grandmother!) But I definitely want to 'pay forward' all the great advice I have gotten on these boards!!!

Archived