Weather right now (8/17)?

miraclemet

We got back on Saturday from Alaska. I was checking the weather 5 times a day the week before we left and it had rain or showers forcast every day. We didn't have a drop of rain! The only rain we had was in Seattle the morning we boarded. By the time we pulled out, the sun was poking through the clouds and it was beautiful. Be prepared for rain, but hope for the best.

Anne

Just got in from Alaska this afternoon..Did the cruise on the Island Princess first, then the land tour..Had no rain except one morning very early in Skagway. Cleared before we got off at port to shop..Weather was warm, in 80's in Fairbanks when we flew out..Also very smoky from forest fires..

Not pleasant but we had such an incrediable time on the ship and most of the tours that not even that will spoil our wonderful memories..Go and have fun don't worry about what if it rains..Happy sailing!!

Just got back from Visions of the Sea this AM. They said it rained one night. I saw no evidence of rain. Lots of smoke--by the way it really looks like foggy haze. Still had the time of my life. BTW--bring some tank tops and shorts!!! My DH wanted to know why I packed 2 pairs of shorts, now he knows. Also a windbreaker was very helpful on deck. Have fun.

It was smokey pretty much the whole way. We did the North to South Cruise. When we left Icy Straights, it was better. Again, if you weren't told it was smoke, you might think it was mist/fog? We went sportfishing in Juneau and the guide pointed out that we can usually see to there... but because of the smoke. Anyway, my DH caught a 12 (appx) lb. salmon and we had fun. I booked it off of the net and saved a few dollars. I also used the tour saver to do Misty Fiords. I felt like that was one of the highlights of the trip. The glacier calving (sp?) was also awesome. We saw about a 10 story size of glacier fall off....besides many other pieces. Don't forget to bring binoculars. You would never see the bears or seals (on the ice flows) without them.

Thanks Snowey! Wow, that is great that your dh caught a 12 pound salmon...how exciting. I have booked all my tours independent of the ship.

In Ketchikan, I booked a floatplane to Misty Fjords with Island Wings, Juneau, whale watching with Capt Larry...his tour is in the afternoon, so I will take the blue bus rt to Mendanhall Glacier...Skagway, a 6 hour Yukon Discovery Adventure, with Frontier Excursions.

Yes, yes, I am bringing binoculars. I am not too much of a shorts person, but I do have capri's packed, and only one pair of long pants, so I think I will be fine. It doesn't sound like I will be too cold with my capri's :). I am so thankful for the unseasonably warm weather Alaska is experiencing. Forecast for next week is showing high 60's most ports, a little lower in Skagway.

Marie

Marie: You will have fun! You will need something warm on the whale watching tour. I wore jeans and carried a windbreaker (T-shirt underneath). BTW--I still feel like I am on the boat. Right now I am downloading the pics. I kept 254 of them (digital). I edited ones out here and there. So bring plenty of memory/film.

Marie: You will have fun! You will need something warm on the whale watching tour. I wore jeans and carried a windbreaker (T-shirt underneath). BTW--I still feel like I am on the boat. Right now I am downloading the pics. I kept 254 of them (digital). I edited ones out here and there. So bring plenty of memory/film.

Oh, BTW--Snowey (my cockatoo) didn't eat while I was gone :mad: I guess she must have when the neighbor wasn't looking because she is still alive. :)

Oh, BTW--Snowey (my cockatoo) didn't eat while I was gone :mad: I guess she must have when the neighbor wasn't looking because she is still alive. :)

Isn't it funny how they get. I am not sure if they do it to spite us, or just miss us terribly. My dh and ds will be home with our pet.

I am bringing a lined windbreaker, and a lined windbreaker, one of them will go over a cardigan sweater. I am a bit weight conscious so I am always "covered" in some form :). Under the cardigans I typically wear sleeveless shirts.

I am bringing my digital camera. It will be the first time I use it, but am bringing the instruction manual, so I should be fine.

Marie

Marie:

One thing you should try to learn beforehand is how to do backlighting. I thought I knew how but some of the pic were not right. Midtrip, I also found a wheel by the eyepiece that helped you focus for your eyes!!! I wish I had know it was there!! Everything is so small when you are shooting from the 10th floor of the ship.

Archived