International Date Line

margord

Okay help me with when I lose a day and when I gain a day. If I fly from LA to NZ today (July 9). I leave on 7/9 when do I get to NZ? July 9 or July 11? I am so confused. I know you pick up an extra day one way and lose it the other.

We left LA 8:30 pm Nov. 20 and arrived in NZ Nov. 22 6 am. Our tickets said that was 12:30 flying time. We left Sydney, Aust. Dec. 6 3:20 pm and arrived LA 9:45 am the same day. Flying time 13:25. Fantastic flying if you ask me.

We left LA 8:30 pm Nov. 20 and arrived in NZ Nov. 22 6 am. Our tickets said that was 12:30 flying time. We left Sydney, Aust. Dec. 6 3:20 pm and arrived LA 9:45 am the same day. Flying time 13:25. Fantastic flying if you ask me.

Thank you so much. That really helps.

Okay help me with when I lose a day and when I gain a day. If I fly from LA to NZ today (July 9). I leave on 7/9 when do I get to NZ? July 9 or July 11? I am so confused. I know you pick up an extra day one way and lose it the other.

If you are leaving LAX on 7/9 for NZ or Sydney, you will arrive on 7/11. However, whatever date that you depart on...whether it is from Sydney or Auckland, you will arrive in LAX on the same date. So in other words, you loose on the outbound...but gain on the return home.

However, sure hope you plan to arrive @ least one day earlier for sailing if you are not planning any pre-cruise excursions. It good to play it safe and be in your disembarking city early. Hope this was of some help for you. PinkSuit

pinksuit,

It depends on what time you leave L.A. If you leave early in the morning then you arrive here the next day. But if you leave late at night, anytime after 8.30pm then you do arrive two days later.

For example, we left Honolulu at 11am and we arrived into Sydney at 5pm, the next day. That is why I said that you lose a day coming back here but it does depend on what time you leave the States.

The easiest way to work it out is that there is 7 hours plus a day less in L.A. Here it is 4.51pm on Thursday, in L.A. it is 11.51pm on Wednesday.

If you left L.A. at 7am on Wednesday, you would arrive at around 6pm on Thursday afternoon. But if you left L.A. at 11.30pm on Wednesday you would arrive here at around 9.00am on Friday.

It is confusing but you do make it up on the way back. We always try and arrive into the city where the ship is leaving from at least 2-3 days beforehand to get our time clocks working.

Jennie

Hi Jennie - yes we missed being on TP too but we had a fantastic time in Bali and combined it with a Gemini cruise to Vietnam. So enjoyed it that we've booked the Gemini Bali/Freo in November. Also booked Sun Princess from Fremantle to Asia 21 May next year.

This cruising is addictive!

Have you written a review on Tahiti/Hawaii and how did you enjoy Honolulu?

We're digressing from ANZ maybe you'd prefer to email me at vscover@ozemail.com.au

Regards

Vera

If you are leaving LAX on 7/9 for NZ or Sydney, you will arrive on 7/11. However, whatever date that you depart on...whether it is from Sydney or Auckland, you will arrive in LAX on the same date. So in other words, you loose on the outbound...but gain on the return home.

However, sure hope you plan to arrive @ least one day earlier for sailing if you are not planning any pre-cruise excursions. It good to play it safe and be in your disembarking city early. Hope this was of some help for you. PinkSuit

Dear PinkSuit,

You are extremely helpful. Thanks. And, yes, we are arriving 1 day prior to our pre-cruise tour then our boarding for the cruise. No way am I travelling that far with a chance of missing the ship or for that matter without at least a day to try to re-coup.

Marilee

Since you all have been so helpful, here is another question.

We planned to leave Maryland and fly to LA and spend the night. Then the next day fly to NZ. Is there a better more interesting way. Do you know if there are many flights from Tahiti to Hawaii to Australia. IF I want to lay over a day or two I would prefer those islands to LA.

Marilee

Margood,

We have just come back from a trip to Tahiti where we cruised to Hawaii.

We used Air Tahiti Nui to fly to Tahiti and Qantas to fly home from Hawaii. Air Tahiti also flies between Los Angeles and New York to Tahiti.

I know that Air New Zealand also flies via Tahiti to L.A. and that Qantas, Jetstar, Air New Zealand, Hawaiian Airlines and I think United fly out of Hawaii to here.

I would have a look at the schedules on all these airlines and see if any of them will work for you. I am not sure which airlines fly between Hawaii and Tahiti.

Jennie

Margood,

We have just come back from a trip to Tahiti where we cruised to Hawaii.

We used Air Tahiti Nui to fly to Tahiti and Qantas to fly home from Hawaii. Air Tahiti also flies between Los Angeles and New York to Tahiti.

I know that Air New Zealand also flies via Tahiti to L.A. and that Qantas, Jetstar, Air New Zealand, Hawaiian Airlines and I think United fly out of Hawaii to here.

I would have a look at the schedules on all these airlines and see if any of them will work for you. I am not sure which airlines fly between Hawaii and Tahiti.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie,

Do you have any idea how long does it take to fly from Hawaii to NZ or Tahiti to NZ?

Marilee

Margood,

It took us just over 8 hours to fly from Sydney to Tahiti so I would be thinking around 5 hours from Auckland to Tahiti or reverse.

Our flight from Honolulu to Sydney was 10 hours so the flight from Honolulu to Auckland would be around 6-7 hours depending on the winds.

Jennie

Margood,

It took us just over 8 hours to fly from Sydney to Tahiti so I would be thinking around 5 hours from Auckland to Tahiti or reverse.

Our flight from Honolulu to Sydney was 10 hours so the flight from Honolulu to Auckland would be around 6-7 hours depending on the winds.

Jennie

Thanks you I really appreciate your time and the fabulous answers. It makes my planning much easier.

Marilee

;)

Dear PinkSuit,

You are extremely helpful. Thanks. And, yes, we are arriving 1 day prior to our pre-cruise tour then our boarding for the cruise. No way am I travelling that far with a chance of missing the ship or for that matter without at least a day to try to re-coup.

Marilee

Good:) I really meant to say...just be in your embarktation city early instead of disembarking city......It' s good to stay over even in the disembarking city also. Al least you will have the opportunity to see a bit of that too. Enjoy! See you on the High Seas. PinkSuit

;)

Good:) I really meant to say...just be in your embarktation city early instead of disembarking city......It' s good to stay over even in the disembarking city also. Al least you will have the opportunity to see a bit of that too. Enjoy! See you on the High Seas. PinkSuit

We are doing a tour pre and post cruise and flying in and staying late 1 day before and after the tours. We should be okay. I agree going early and staying late is the best way to go.

As soon as lfights become available I am now going to check on breaking up this long flight with either Tahiti, Hawaii or LA. I guess the flight availability will help me make my decision.

Marilee

Archived