Flyertalker??

UpstateCruizer

Since this is my first time booking flights through Travelocity I want to make sure I am understanding the check in process. My outbound flights are pretty easy as they are both on US Air and I'm able to log into their site and find my flights. It's the next part that has me a little confused. This is what we have booked :

08:05 AM to

10:55 AM

Miami, FL (MIA) to

New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)

2hrs 50min - nonstop ag_aalogo_3.gifAmerican Airlines Flight 518

Airbus Industrie

Our connecting flight is this one

01:15 PM to

02:41 PM

New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) to

Syracuse, NY (SYR)

1hr 26min - nonstop ag_dllogo_3.gifDelta Air Lines Flight 6014

Dehavilland Dash 8 Turboprop- Economy

Operated by FREEDOM AIRLINES

Now my question is this ...when we land at JFK we will need to find the Delta terminal and the gate they have assigned for our flight correct? When we check in for the AA flight will that check us in for the Delta flight as well? I've never been booked on 2 different carriers like this so I just want to make sure I do everything right. I can locate our flights on AA but not the Delta flights since they have lumped the numbers with the AA confirmation number. When I log into the AA website it pulls up all of the flights for the outbound and return and all of the information is correct including seat assignments. Thanks and any input you can provide to ease my mind is greatly appreciated. :)

Travelocity and other online agencies will do the mix & match on itineraries - connections on two airlines that most people wouldn't be connecting with. This is what you have.

On this day, you have two flights. The first is both ticketed on, and operated by, American Airlines. At MIA, you will go to the AA counter and check-in for your flight. You should have with you documentation regarding your second flight, so that your luggage can be checked through to SYR. Print out your Travelocity itinerary, as well as anything on your AA and DL flights. I'd put them in separate file folders, so you can easily find/access the data to show any agent that needs it.

Assuming you can check your luggage through to SYR, you will then have to take the AirTrain at JFK to change terminals. You can go to the Port Authority website for that info. You will need to go to the Terminal 2/3 stop, which is for Delta. Be sure to take the All Terminals loop, not the Red or Green lines, which will take you off airport. If AA will not check your luggage, you'll have to retrieve it at the AA baggage claim and schlep it yourself to Delta. The good news is that you have 2:20 to make your connection.

Your second flight is a DL coded flight, though operated by Freedom. For your purposes, it's a Delta flight. Go to the DL checkin and receive your boarding passes for your second flight. It will probably operate from T2.

AA will almost assuredly not check you in for your DL flight. If possible, try to do OLCI the day before for both flights. Many hotels now have computers/printers available for airline checkin. Note that you will have to check in for AA and DL separately.

There should be a record locator for your DL flights - if you can't find it on the Travelocity documents, call Delta. Also, there should be a US locator as well. Have those readily at hand, as you'll need them. If you need to get them, call the airline directly and ask. With the DL locator, you'll be able to select seats online.

I haven't used T'city in many years, as it is almost always far better for me to be booking directly with the airlines. It must be a pretty good deal to be using three different carriers on one itinerary within the USA.

Post again if we've left anything out.

Thanks for the quick reply! I always do the online check in the day before we fly so that should be a help. We are staying in Miami an extra day and flying out on Sunday so online check in will be no problem. When I have to check in with Delta will I have to go through security again? If I have to retrieve my own luggage and recheck it will I have to go through security again at that point? These flights were reasonably priced and they allowed me to take an early morning flight out on both days. I don't mind layovers, airports etc but because of my anxiety I do much better when we get to the airport early morning and get through security. After that not much phases me and I actually enjoy the airports. Thanks again :)

I called Delta tonight and had them link my return flight to my skymiles account so that I could look up my flight and make sure it doesn't change etc. When they did this my AA flight is also showing up on the Delta itinerary. I asked why and the phone rep said that AA & Delta are code share partners. I asked if that meant that my luggage would go all the way to Syracuse without rechecking it and he said exactly. I will do as you suggested and double check this when I check my luggage at the airport. My husband laughs at how much documentation I bring along for the flights, hotels and cruise but I would rather have too much than not have what I need.

Yes, I forgot to mention, you will have to reclear security at JFK. There is no airside link between terminals there, so it's out to the "landside", change terminals, then through security to "airside". Glad you are flexible! I also didn't remember that DL and AA codeshare on American Eagle flights, so that there is some interconnect between their systems. However, it is ALWAYS better to have too much documentation than not enough - especially if you get the "computers aren't cooperating" moment. Your bag tags should show SYR when you check-in at MIA - if so, you are good to go.

Reclearing security at JFK :eek: . Does this typically move fairly smooth and quickly? So far at all of the airports we've flown into we don't go through security for connections. If we were taking another AA connecting flight at JFK would we have still been required to go through security again? Just mentally preparing myself for this one. Thanks! :)

Reclearing security at JFK :eek: . Does this typically move fairly smooth and quickly? So far at all of the airports we've flown into we don't go through security for connections. If we were taking another AA connecting flight at JFK would we have still been required to go through security again? Just mentally preparing myself for this one. Thanks! :)

This is the same security screening as if you were just starting your journey at JFK. Yes, at most airports, you don't have to reclear, especially at hubs with major connecting traffic. However, due to the "separate buildings" design at JFK, you will have to go through the whole procedure. An AA to AA connect would not have a rescreening.

How quickly does it flow -- well, I haven't done security at JFK for a number of years. Check the DL website and the TSA website - both have information on security wait times at major airports.

You wouldn't have to go through security again if you too AA in the same terminal. Delta has its own 2 terminals at JFK. Just to warn you though, Terminals 2&3, Delta's Terminals are HORRIBLE. I was just there in mid june. No good restaurants or shoppning. Nothing to do except watching flights get delayed and people laying all over the place. The people at Delta have no clue if you ask them a question.

Archived