San Juan with kids

Brenkel

We will be sailing out of San Juan on the Destiny in October. We are flying in a day early around 3:00 p.m., and will be staying at the Marriot. After we check in at the hotel we planned to get a cab and go to OSJ. Is public transportation an option or will it take us forever to get there? What are good things to do with kids in the evening in OSJ? Our kids will be 8 and 10. Would the Parrot Club be a good choice for our family? I plan on getting to the ship early the next day and dropping off our luggage, and then seeing one of the forts.

Thanks for any help!

We will be sailing out of San Juan on the Destiny in October. We are flying in a day early around 3:00 p.m., and will be staying at the Marriot. After we check in at the hotel we planned to get a cab and go to OSJ. Is public transportation an option or will it take us forever to get there? What are good things to do with kids in the evening in OSJ? Our kids will be 8 and 10. Would the Parrot Club be a good choice for our family? I plan on getting to the ship early the next day and dropping off our luggage, and then seeing one of the forts.

Thanks for any help!

I'm short on time right now, but I'll follow up with more detail later. I also have kids 10 and 8. We roam OSJ every week for dinner. Parrot Club is fine for them (unless they are super picky eaters). I'd take a cab to OSJ. Bus is ok, but not worth it IMO. Cab will be less than $15.

Thanks for letting me know that it is better to just take a cab. I was afraid that it might be like the buses in Las Vegas. DH and I were there last year and took a bus downtown from the strip. It took almost an hour with all the stops!

We are not set on the Parrot Club. I have just seen it a lot on the board. We would like something that is not mainstream American food. We can eat at Starbucks or McDonald's anytime. Our kids are not very picky, but they have their moments! At Mother's Day we went for a nice dinner at a more upscale restaurant. Now my DS's favorite food is salmon and my DD is in love with lamb chops. On our last cruise they never once looked at the kids' menu and loved ordering off the adult menu. So if there is somewhere else you would recommend that would be great!

I'll step in...... try El Jibarito - real puerto rican food and great prices.... just do a websearch for info. Sounds like your kids will like it..... and if you can ....get to old San Juan early enough to have breakfast at La Bombonera...... 100+ year old bakery/diner with a windowful of fresh baked pastries every morning..... mmmmm I can taste the mallorcas right now :o Regular breakfast fare too..... and great (GREAT) coffee. 4 adults ate for $ 16.00 total.

Don't miss the Gate to the City too...... so much to see in so little time :confused: We loved old San Juan. Lots of cool stuff for kids. Families like to fly kites on the grounds of el Morro.... just keep reading..... you'll find a few things for everyone.....

Based on your description, I'd stick with the Parrot Club or go to Agua Viva across the street (seafood). Parrot Club is PR food with a fresh face.

If you want authentic PR food, another option is Raices around the block. They even dress in old traditional country clothes. Food is good.

I'd attempt to hit the Fort ASAP. I think it closes at 6pm (could be 5pm). From there, it is a nice walk down Calle Cristo to the Cathedral, then down through the San Juan gate. That takes you out to the harbor along the promenade. The walk would transition you to dinner. Dinner is a little more European style down here (meant to be savored), so make sure you ask for the check when you are ready for it. You won't get it otherwise.

My kids enjoyed the pigeon park by the Capilla de Cristo (at the end of Cristo street). There is a nice view across the harbor. An opportunity to feed the pigeons is you are not against that type of thing.

Thank you Texancruzer and Big Sky Country. If the fort closes at 6:00 we may be able to have time to see it. After the nearly 6 hours of travel time I'm sure we would all like to stretch our legs!

Archived