NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

Hi guys, new member and another NHL fan here.

Couple of quick questions. Do you know if it's possible to convert an existing BOA credit card to the NCL card? I have an old NHL MBNA card that became a BOA card some time ago. It offered very little in the way of benefits, so I never used it and it's been sitting in my drawer for a long time. While I still believe that the SPG Amex is the best card available, I'm interested in diversifying my points earning, as well as looking for a secondary card when vendors won't take Amex. So the NCL card might fit the bill.

Also, I've never been on a cruise before...how does NCL stack up to the competition? If it helps, my wife and I live in NYC and are early to mid 30's with no kids yet. Thanks for any help!

Couple of quick questions. Do you know if it's possible to convert an existing BOA credit card to the NCL card?

Not really convert per say. You would need to close/cancel the NHL card and re-apply for the NCL card.

PE

Couple of quick questions. Do you know if it's possible to convert an existing BOA credit card to the NCL card? I have an old NHL MBNA card that became a BOA card some time ago. It offered very little in the way of benefits, so I never used it and it's been sitting in my drawer for a long time. While I still believe that the SPG Amex is the best card available, I'm interested in diversifying my points earning, as well as looking for a secondary card when vendors won't take Amex. So the NCL card might fit the bill.

Also, I've never been on a cruise before...how does NCL stack up to the competition? If it helps, my wife and I live in NYC and are early to mid 30's with no kids yet. Thanks for any help!

I consolidated other BOA lines into the NCL Compass Rewards card without any problem, however, I'm not sure if you'd lose out on the 25 Compass Rewards bonus dollars (equivelant to abbout $833 in spending) without 1st applying for a new card.

You might be safer off applying for a new one, then consolidating the old line into the new line. You might end up with a bigger line as well.

As for the SPG Amex, I really need to find time and look deeper into it. I generally use the HHonors Amex as my other card, and think it's a great card as well.

Finally, re:NCL vs competition... NCL generally has newer ships and seems to hit all age groups well. Carnival is more of a party 24/7 atmosphere (drinking), but if you want, you could do the same on an NCL ship. I think the food on NCL is average, but that's pretty much the same for all the cruise lines IMO. The food in the specialty restaurants (added fee) is generally very good. The ships are great, itineraries are great, usually a fun crew, and I really enjoy the Second City improv shows on board each of the ships.

I did it the way PE suggested. I now have 3 BOA cards (did you know that's actually good for your credit rating?) a Ducks Unlimited card which gives a discount on gas, an RCI card which we got specifically for our AOS cruise as it offered $150 in OBC and the NCL card which I have just had for a month and already am up to over $100. :) That card we will keep on using because we tend to cruise NCL every couple years.

Carnival is more of a party 24/7 atmosphere (drinking), but if you want, you could do the same on an NCL

My guess would be you've never been on Carnival, or only during spring break. NCL is a great line. You won't find reward points at 3% for any other line. (if you do let us know)

The partying will depend a lot on length of cruise and time of year.

My guess would be you've never been on Carnival, or only during spring break. NCL is a great line. You won't find reward points at 3% for any other line. (if you do let us know)

The partying will depend a lot on length of cruise and time of year.

...and also class of ship.

But, that is not what this thread is about.

PE

I have always received a credit back on my credit card for any overpayment with the cruise certificates. Of course, not over the deposit paid initially. NCL seems to be running a special using upgrade rewards until end of July, even on existing reservations. I was thinking about ordering a 200.00 certificate in order to upgrade from inside to outside. Has anyone tried using an upgrade certificate along with the 500.00 compass rewards? Thought I would send in the 500.00 ones for final payment first, then send in the 200 upgrade, hoping to use both.

I thought I was out of questions, now it seems I'm not. :p

My DH and I each have our own BOA account to get the most out of points. On each account we earned 2 vouchers.

Please tell me that even though the vouchers are from 2 seperate numbered accounts and have different names as holders on each, that we can apply all vouchers to the same cabin. :o

I

Finally, re:NCL vs competition... NCL generally has newer ships and seems to hit all age groups well. Carnival is more of a party 24/7 atmosphere (drinking), .

Not that I should post a response to that on this thread...but that info is absolutely not true. CCL has the most diverse age group of any line I've sailed so far and has no more a 'drinking atmosphere' than NCL from my experience. ;)

Yes, you can use all 4 certificates on one booking so long as one of the account's authorized users is in the cabin. In your case you are both users and occupants so no sweat.

Also I have never tried using upgrades on top of full certificate but there's no reason why it shouldn't work, it's just that I don't think it's worth the points. Unless they are going to expire or you will not be sailing within the next 3 years, I'd suggest saving them toward another certificate. Just my opinion

Yes, you can use all 4 certificates on one booking so long as one of the account's authorized users is in the cabin. In your case you are both users and occupants so no sweat.

:D Thanks.

I thought that was the case, but I just called BOA to have the second 2 vouchers sent and was filling out the back of the first two when suddenly I panicked.

I guess I'm just not used to having that much money credited so easily and was thinking it was all too good to be true.

I feel better now, thank you very much. :)

OK all the NCL mastercard pros ; )

I just hit 1000 points : ).. I was thinking about booking

a cruise to the Mexica Riv.. Sept 27 out of LA.. Do I have

time to get my cert and apply to my cruise?? I have not asked

for them to issue my cert yet.. Will it work out booking so close

to sailing???

Also is it better if your going to use your cert to book through

NCL directly???? I saw that an oline co was 200 dollars less!!!

HELP.. New be using cert..

Thanks..

Thanks to finding out about the NCL card on this web site, we've now received ours and are on our way to trying to amass enough points to qualify for a $500 certificate by the time our final payment is due in February.

My husband advises we could actually charge our mortgage payments, but is reluctant to do so for fear it could affect our credit rating. His concern is that it will appear as if we can't make the payment and are resorting to making payment by credit card.

Have any of you done this - or do any of you know if this would be a negative on your credit rating? With our house payment, we could easily get that certificate!

Thanks!

Mortgage payment has to be just about the only bill I haven't tried to pay with my CC. I do have all my utilities and other monthly bills that don't charge a fee for charging payments go on my card automatically every month. Also charge all our expenses...groceries, gas, restaurants to our card. Luckily our friends don't mind giving us their half and letting us earn points on their meals too. With direct deposit and online payments their cash has become our weekly spending $$$. Never thought about how certain payments might affect our credit rating? I pay off balance every month. New to BOA, make sure you watch the dates if paying online after 5PM. I ended up paying $12 fee to get one of my 1st payments there ontime but must admit that is the only fee they have ever seen from me. A little early Xmas shopping could make the difference getting that certificate.

lvroberts...talk to the online company. I always go with best price. If full payment is required when you book ask them if they can have NCL credit your cc acount once cert are received. I was a little late getting my last cert mailed out and my card was charged for the final payment. NCL would not credit me until my TA called to request the refund. I think we got the cert in 7-10 days. Also, beware that the most points you can get in one year is 1000 so don't keep charging toward your next certificate if it has been less than a year! Hubby and I each have an account now. Thus the delay with my last cert because it was from his account and they would not issue to me on my 1st call. Once I convinced him to hang around they didn't ask to speak to him. :p

Thanks to finding out about the NCL card on this web site, we've now received ours and are on our way to trying to amass enough points to qualify for a $500 certificate by the time our final payment is due in February.

My husband advises we could actually charge our mortgage payments, but is reluctant to do so for fear it could affect our credit rating. His concern is that it will appear as if we can't make the payment and are resorting to making payment by credit card.

Have any of you done this - or do any of you know if this would be a negative on your credit rating? With our house payment, we could easily get that certificate!

Thanks!

Be aware of any fees the mortgage company charges when you use a credit card. We've never had any luck finding a mtg company that will accept a credit card, so if your's will, I'd like to know who it is - I may need to refinance :D .

Our gas company charges a fee for using credit card so gas budget amount and mortgage debit checking account every month. Still have phone, cell phone, cable, electric and newpapers automatically charged to credit card every month. Can't tell you how much time and brain cells this saves every month. One or two payment online and I'm done. :D

Waiting to hear about that mortgage company?

We're with Citimortgage and I pulled out the last statement and I think DH is confused. Looks like you can set up EZ pay with funds from checking or savings, not credit card. Sorry for the false alarm and any false hopes I raised!

We christened our card today and are starting our campaign to get that certificate!! Thanks for sharing the bills you've put on your cards, as the cable, phones - cell/home and other monthly bills certainly add up and every little bit helps.

We're with Citimortgage and I pulled out the last statement and I think DH is confused. Looks like you can set up EZ pay with funds from checking or savings, not credit card. Sorry for the false alarm and any false hopes I raised!

We christened our card today and are starting our campaign to get that certificate!! Thanks for sharing the bills you've put on your cards, as the cable, phones - cell/home and other monthly bills certainly add up and every little bit helps.

Thanks for updating us. Like many others, we charge EVERYTHING we can, no matter if it's large or small. It really is nice to get the 'free' money to help pay for a cruise.

My husband and I booked a 7/13/08 cruise to Alaska and sent in one 500 certificate early, then 2 more 500 certificates toward our cruise with the final payment on the date due in April. We were very close to having another certificate for 500 and were unsure whether or not we should request it and send it in on this cruise or wait for another cruise. I called to request the last certificate around 5/31/08 and received the certificate on June 9th. After reading the posts here I went ahead and sent it in as others had been successful in getting credit from NCL back on their credit card. NCL received it within a week (although the green return receipt was only received - without a date received on June 16) and credited to NCL account showing a credit of $500.00. Today, I checked B of A credit card and $500.00 had been credited back to my credit card! WooHoo!!! This post/board has been extremely helpful in knowing the "in's and out's" of the NCL card, so thanks to all!

So, lvroberts, yes! You have a good chance of getting it back and sent in (even after final payment) before your Sept. cruise! Good Luck!

First off sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find anything recent on it: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=Compassrewards

This is a special redemption offer that is good for new or existing reservations and it seems like a much better deal than the original offer.

Check out our latest Compass Rewards offer:

• 100 points: One category upgrade for you & your guest*
  • 200 points: Upgrades you & your guest from an Inside to an Oceanview stateroom*
  • 300 points: Upgrades you & your guest from an Oceanview to a Balcony stateroom*
  • 400 points: Upgrades you & your guest from a Balcony to a Mini-Suite*

Available on select sailings to Alaska, Bahamas & Florida, Bermuda, Canada & New England, the Caribbean, Europe, Hawai'i and the Mexican Riviera.

Click here for applicable sailings.

Book by July 31, 2008.

My cruise is one of the selected cruises. So if I upgrade to a balcony I'd have to pay a total of $239 total for the two of us but for then for 400 points (which I already have) I'd be able to upgrade to a minisuite. If I bought a minisuite now I'd pay and extra $859 right now. Is that a better deal than just waiting to get my 500 points and getting $500 off? I'm not sure. I've never even stayed in a balcony room let alone a suite or minisuite. Ack help me, I'm not sure what to do?

We are also pay our auto, boat, and RV insurance with our credit card. :) I ordered $1500 in certificates on June 3rd. I received them on the 17th (exactly two weeks which is a little longer than usual) and mailed them in certified mail on the 19th. NCL signed for them on the 20th. (we live in FL thats the reason the received them the next day). I will give them a week or two to credit our reservation and will call to pay the balance of $32 on our cc of course. We're the couple whose 11-day cruise cost $1782 total minus our $250 certificate minus our $1500 certificates :D

I made the same post a few weeks ago, has anyone had a chance to try this upgrade from a inside to a mini suite? Not sure if it's 900 or 1000 points the first 100 seems to be a big ??

According to my phone conversation with our PCC, this is not possible. The Compass Rewards can only be used from inside to inside, OV to OV, balcony to balcony.

She has been on a LOA for a while, so if anyone has been able to book inside to mini upgrades using the Compass Rewards, please post!!

According to my phone conversation with our PCC, this is not possible. The Compass Rewards can only be used from inside to inside, OV to OV, balcony to balcony.

She has been on a LOA for a while, so if anyone has been able to book inside to mini upgrades using the Compass Rewards, please post!!

It depends on the ship. This is a special program not the normal one sometimes the word doesn't get to the people who need to do the work. You can go from inside to an oceanview then a balcony and then a suite....in steps...