NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I have been corresponding with my TA and NCL representative regarding when we must cruise using the Compass Rewards points. Well, being somewhat skeptical of the answers I was getting I went back to the FAQ section of the NCL website and THE LANGUAGE HAS CHANGED! We have a definitive date ... January 31, 2011 is sailing date they must be used by. The website says:

What happens to my Compass Rewards?

NCL is ending the Compass Reward program and as stated in the program terms and conditions, you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate(s) based on your December 31, 2008 point balance. Your final certificate(s) will arrive by mail on or before January 31, 2009. You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise before January 31, 2011. Compass Rewards points will not be transferred to the WorldPoints program.

This is comforting to have a definitive date. Phins up!

M ta suggested to me to cash in before the years end.that way you will get your certificates, if you wait till end year you never know if they are going honor it, no guarantees i guess

Just a couple of quick questions. I booked a cruise online today with a TA. Made the deposit of $500, with the final payment due in June. I plan on using 3 $500 certificates.

I'd like to go ahead and make final payment with my NCL credit card before the end of this year so I can earn 4% back. If I make the final payment before the end of this year, then in January when I receive my 3 $500 certificates mail them in, will my credit card be refunded $1500? Or do the certificates need to be sent in BEFORE final payment is due? Has anyone gotten their card credited for certificates mailed in after you have already made the final payment?

Also, when I go to mail the certificates in, do I mail them to the NCL accounting department, or do I send them to my TA? I'd feel more comfortable with everything going smoothly dealing directly with NCL and I assume the TA after getting them from me just have to forward them to NCL on my behalf.

I am a "glass half full" person, and I am reading this to mean, if you have 982 points left at the end of the program, you will get once certificate for $500 and four for $100 for a total of $900 and the 82 points would be lost. This is also good news, since I was concerned that only $500 certificates would still be issued.

But the $100 are not really $100, they are for "stateroom upgrades".

I'm using this as an opportunity to shop...need to get to that next $500 mark!!! :D

Just in case, does anyone know how the upgrade cert work? Can you go inside to outside or do you need to stay in the same category? If that's the case it is hardly worth $100 each for the upgrade. :eek:

I'm using this as an opportunity to shop...need to get to that next $500 mark!!! :D

Just in case, does anyone know how the upgrade cert work? Can you go inside to outside or do you need to stay in the same category? If that's the case it is hardly worth $100 each for the upgrade. :eek:

You have to stay within the same category.. inside to a better inside, etc. Suites are not included either.

But the $100 are not really $100, they are for "stateroom upgrades".

Does it say right on the $100 certificates that they are only good for upgrades. I have never gotten $100 certificates before, only $500. I dug out the old paperwork that I got when we first applied for the card, and after reading it in detail, it does sound like the $100 certificates are realitively worthless... Anyone???? Now this means I am going to have to find a way to spend a lot over the next two months.... Maybe I will overpay some of my son's college tuition, so that we have less to pay in the spring! That would probably be a first for them!

I just got off the phone with BOA. They won't move the statement date until January. Guess I'll just cancel the card. I don't think I can possibly get another $500 certificate before 12/3.

Q.What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?

A.You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

Q.What happens to my Compass Rewards?

A. NCL is ending the Compass Reward program and as stated in the program terms and conditions, you will be issued a Compass Reward certificate(s) based on your December 31, 2008 point balance. Your final certificate(s) will arrive by mail on or before January 31, 2009. You will have one year from date of issue to apply the certificates to a booking, but you will be able to use them towards any NCL cruise before January 31, 2011. Compass Rewards points will not be transferred to the WorldPoints program.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

Need to rename the thread...how to maximize our Compass points?

Never heard about buying coins? I think there is a fee for purchasing prepaid credit cards but if someone is close it might be worth a few $$$ to get to the $500?

When I signed up for BOA Free checking online the other night they said I could use my BOA MC to put $$$ in the account for initial deposit. Not thinking at the time I signed up for the minimum deposit after the CS person w/online chat said there would be no cash advance fees and then I was kicking myself. Why not tell them $5000 and use that account to pay my credit card bill just in case they were giving points? So far no deposit showing into that account but they did send paperwork to sign. Worse case senario is that they give me $75 they offered for opening the account in 90 days and I can keep enough money in the account so I can cash my checks from other banks when I make the deposit at BOA for work. :D

Also considering maybe taking myself off budget for the gas company and making a large payment in December to cover my heat for the winter? Not exactly what Christmas bonuses are for but if it gets me to the next $500 it will be money I need to spend one way or another.

A couple of times my daughter has made deposits to our OB account as gifts. Wonder if that would work with the program ending?

Ok...I'm sure they are going to appreciate this at BOA. I just called CS at BOA and changed my billing date from the 8th to the 30th of December. It was too late to change Nov statement but now I should have those extra days to accumulate points. :D I plan to call back again next month to verify that the change will take place for Dec. :p I can do a lot of damage in 22 days! :D

FYI...I believe she said that she needed to change the due date for my payment to the 20th of the month to get the billing cycle to end at the end of the month. Meanwhile it would be nice if the program would change to the upgrades that they offered a few months ago as a special for a some cruises...but not the one I wanted.

If we have 3 BOA cards (all joint accounts) can they be combined into one account and the points transferred into one? That would solve a lot of problems!

I've read somewhere in this thread that you cannot combine card points. But who knows, maybe they'll make an exception since they're discontinuing the program. Might be worth a call to BoA.

Just called the toll-free automated number to check my current points balance (which they used to update monthly) and they no longer inclued this info on the recording! Does anyone use the online service, and does this still show the points update, or has anyone recieved a bill in the mail within the past week that has the points update? I would like to know where I stand each month (until the bitter end on Dec 31) so that I know if it is worth it to pay for a cruise early, or perhaps buy a lot of gas or grocery cards in Dec to get me to my goal of 1,000 points!

Just called the toll-free automated number to check my current points balance (which they used to update monthly) and they no longer inclued this info on the recording! Does anyone use the online service, and does this still show the points update, or has anyone recieved a bill in the mail within the past week that has the points update? I would like to know where I stand each month (until the bitter end on Dec 31) so that I know if it is worth it to pay for a cruise early, or perhaps buy a lot of gas or grocery cards in Dec to get me to my goal of 1,000 points!

Yes.. you can register your card at bankofamerica dot com. There you can actually read a pdf of your statements which show your point balance. My Sept. statement shows my balance. It'll be on the 2nd or 3rd page.

More confused than ever........ BOA says we will earn points on the current system through December 31, regarless of when our statement date is. Now, if someones statement date is normall on the 15th of each month, then they should still be earning those points from Dec 16 through Dec 31, right? That bill would go out on Jan 15 and would be due in early February. They say that they will mail all certificates out by Jan 31. How is this possible if there will still be points earned which are not due to be paid until after the certificates have been mailed? ANYONE???????? This is becoming a part-time job!

This is what I figure they will do. My closing date is the 20th, so Dec. 20 they will do as normal. I will continue to earn points from 21-31st and I assume they will close that out again(at least as far as points go). It will be like an end of year statement, maybe. Jan 1 begin earing on the new system if you are going to stay with them. They will have plenty of time to ship cers out by Jan 31 if they close everyone out Dec 31. It will be more work for them ....oh well...