NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

My second order of $2,500 in coins are on the way. You can order two (2) $250 orders of each presidential coin. ..... For the order I placed this past weekend, I'm having the coins sent to my workplace ....

Sea Hound, Thanks for this great tip. Website unclear about purchase limit rules. CSR stated 2/president per household as lifetime limit. She said limit was linked to the cc billing address. Please let us know if your second order arrives. And if so did you use the same cc with same name? Ordered to be delivered as a gift? Thanks!

Hi all,

Bank of America says in writing that my points will only be given up to my Dec. closing date, and NCL.com says until the end of Dec. Anyone know who will win this battle? Wish I knew!!

Where does BOA say this in writing??? I called BOA (as we know, you can get many answers) and they said you earn up to Dec 31 and the 250/month limit will apply for the partial last month...

Where does BOA say this in writing??? I called BOA (as we know, you can get many answers) and they said you earn up to Dec 31 and the 250/month limit will apply for the partial last month...

The original letter from BoA referenced the statement closing date (not the end of December). I'm not aware of anything in writing, from BoA, that says end of Dec. Yes, the NCL site says it, but technically, it's not from BoA. ;)

I believe the in-writing part is the original letter that we got when the program was ending, which stated that we would receive points only up until the December statement closing date.

It is my understanding that BOA has extended it until Dec 31, one of the reasons for which is giving us 90 days notice, as required of them (from the October 1 letter).

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know, as we will be planning on using those last couple weeks in December to get another 50 points to get us to the next 500 mark!!

Thanks!

I believe the in-writing part is the original letter that we got when the program was ending, which stated that we would receive points only up until the December statement closing date.

It is my understanding that BOA has extended it until Dec 31, one of the reasons for which is giving us 90 days notice, as required of them (from the October 1 letter).

If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know, as we will be planning on using those last couple weeks in December to get another 50 points to get us to the next 500 mark!!

Thanks!

You're right. Dec. 31st.

From NCL's website:

What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?

You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

You're right. Dec. 31st.

From NCL's website:

What if my billing cycle ends mid-month?

You will continue accruing Compass Rewards points through December 31, 2008, regardless of when your December billing cycle ends.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=CompassRewardsFAQ#NeedToGetCert

I hope you are all correct. I'm just not sure that Bank of America can get this right and I'm not sure who would make final decision. But I really need those extra days in Dec also, since my cycle ends mid-month.

I hope you are all correct. I'm just not sure that Bank of America can get this right and I'm not sure who would make final decision. But I really need those extra days in Dec also, since my cycle ends mid-month.

Lyst ~ You can call BoA and have your closing date changed to the end of the month. They'll tell you it takes a few months for that to happen, but in my case, it happened the same month I called. It's worth a shot. Make sure you emphasize you want the "closing" date changed on not the "date due" changed.

Lyst ~ You can call BoA and have your closing date changed to the end of the month. They'll tell you it takes a few months for that to happen, but in my case, it happened the same month I called. It's worth a shot. Make sure you emphasize you want the "closing" date changed on not the "date due" changed.

I am not sure how that will help, if the max for that longer month is still 250 points. If they prorated the time, and allowed you to acrue more than 250, then it would make a difference.

I am not sure how that will help, if the max for that longer month is still 250 points. If they prorated the time, and allowed you to acrue more than 250, then it would make a difference.

Good point. It would make sense that the points can start all over again the day after your Dec. closing date since you may have already earned 250 pts. since the prior closing date.

We're barely going to be able to spend enough to qualify for 500 by Dec. 31, so that's not an issue for us, but for many, it could mean an additional 250 which could add up to a certificate.

First...I want to thank the people on these Cruise Critic Boards for alerting me to this "change" in the B.O.A. Compass Reward Program with NCL.

Secondly...am I the only one that never received "official" notification from B.O.A. about this change in the program??? I just received my bill in the mail and still there is no "official" word from B.O.A. about all of this to me! Did everyone get a seperate notification from B.O.A. or was it a notation included with your monthly statement? If it wasn't for the good people on Cruise Critic keeping us alerted about all of this...I'd still be trying to get those last 200 points well into 2009 (toward the $1000 off of my Sept 2009 cruise, as I originally planned). I'm disappointed, but at least I won't be charging on my credit card in 2009 in vain, with the plan that I'm going to be "rewarded" with my second $500 certificate.

Debjo

First...I want to thank the people on these Cruise Critic Boards for alerting me to this "change" in the B.O.A. Compass Reward Program with NCL.

Secondly...am I the only one that never received "official" notification from B.O.A. about this change in the program??? I just received my bill in the mail and still there is no "official" word from B.O.A. about all of this to me! Did everyone get a seperate notification from B.O.A. or was it a notation included with your monthly statement? If it wasn't for the good people on Cruise Critic keeping us alerted about all of this...I'd still be trying to get those last 200 points well into 2009 (toward the $1000 off of my Sept 2009 cruise, as I originally planned). I'm disappointed, but at least I won't be charging on my credit card in 2009 in vain, with the plan that I'm going to be "rewarded" with my second $500 certificate.

Debjo

I believe all notification has been via seperate letters. I received it for one account. But the other acct, I haven't received the letter. If I log into BoA site and access each acct, there is a "Redeem your Compass Rewards" type link on the left side of the page. If I click that, I'm redirected to NCL's page about the discontinuation of the program. Because of that, I'm assuming both accounts have been affected, not just the one that got the letter.

Sea Hound, Thanks for this great tip. Website unclear about purchase limit rules. CSR stated 2/president per household as lifetime limit. She said limit was linked to the cc billing address. Please let us know if your second order arrives. And if so did you use the same cc with same name? Ordered to be delivered as a gift? Thanks!

darlak8 - For my second order, I used DW's credit card and had the coins shipped to my work address. The first order was using my credit card and my home address. The billing addresses are the same, though. I think I'm going to try one more order using my card again and shipping to my work address and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I didn't call the CSRs. I submitted the orders online. It would seem that the more automation the better.;) That way, I don't have to worry about being told I can't! My guess would be that the online orders just go to the fulfillment center and the coins are shipped (as long as the credit card clears).

Good Luck!:)

Sea Hound:D

darlak8 - For my second order, I used DW's credit card and had the coins shipped to my work address. The first order was using my credit card and my home address. The billing addresses are the same, though. I think I'm going to try one more order using my card again and shipping to my work address and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I didn't call the CSRs. I submitted the orders online. It would seem that the more automation the better.;) That way, I don't have to worry about being told I can't! My guess would be that the online orders just go to the fulfillment center and the coins are shipped (as long as the credit card clears).

Let us all know if the third order is processed!

Uggg, I'm still waiting for my first order. I ordered online on 10/20, shipped to work. On 10/27, I got a letter via USPS requesting verification that I indeed ordered the coins. I filled out the form and mailed back on 10/21. As of yet, the coins haven't shipped. I'm not sure what the issue is/was but think it's that the billing address doesn't match the shipping address.

with the banks folding, being taken over by other banks, and all awaiting millions to use; many are killing credit card offers since mortages have taken their toll on the credit industry. So NCL's card many be a loss for B of A with us getting $500-$3000 off cruises and paying our accounts off monthly so they make -0-. Then they give us a card that is a loser. So now if NCL makes it a good card for us that may be different but they have no idea the perks involved when I called & asked for marketing.

So NCL's card many be a loss for B of A with us getting $500-$3000 off cruises and paying our accounts off monthly so they make -0-.

The bank makes 3% everytime you use their credit card, paid for by the merchant where you made the purchase. If the bank then gives you a certificate for $500 off, then they are indeed back to -0-. Thus, I've always assumed that even though they gave you a $500 certificate and when you redeemed it NCL gave you a $500 discount off your cruise, the bank didn't actually have to pay NCL the face value of that certificate. I don't know that as a fact but I've always assumed they gave NCL 50-80% of the face value. And not everyone pays their balance off each month so many are paying interest.

Bank of America inherited Compass Rewards from MBNA. I always wondered why NCL's card from MBNA was so much better than Royal Caribbean's card from MBNA. The answer had to be that NCL was subsidizing the program somehow by not making the bank pay the full certificate value to them. So either NCL wanted to stop this or Bank of America as successor to MBNA felt they were giving away too much. My guess is the latter. With a 1% return under the new program, my credit card relationship with BofA will be ending soon. Heck, with nearly any airline affinity card you can spend $50,000 and get 50,000 miles and redeem that for a roundtrip ticket to Europe. In summer that can exceed $1000 in value so right there you're at 2%. But finding another program that gives 3% in value is a tough one.

BobK/Orlando

Edited by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH

Capital One MC seems to be rated very highly for travel rewards or cash back. Anyone have any experience with this card (since acceptance of Discover and Amex is spotty abroad)?

We've just gotten ours. Both the credit Mastercard and the debit Mastercard. The great thing about both of them is no international transaction fees, which can be 2-3% normally on purchases and ATM withdraws.

The debit mastercard is linked to your current checking account. The plus side to using this card is no ATM fees, period. Not from your bank, and not from a foreign bank. If there are, Capitol one pays for them. Also, you can use it at any place that accepts Mastercard for purchases. You also earn points on both cards, but I basically got them for travel to Europe to avoid international transaction fees, so I'd have to look at the paperwork to see what they offer point wise.

Capital One MC seems to be rated very highly for travel rewards or cash back. Anyone have any experience with this card (since acceptance of Discover and Amex is spotty abroad)?

We just got two because CapOne offered 0% interest till 2/2010 with no balance xfer fee. Needed someplace new to xfer the balance that seemed to skyrocket when I learned I was going to lose NCL BoA points (thus had to charge lots to get to the $500 points). :o

Anyway, I haven't even read about how the reward system works. Guess I should.

No Hassle Cash- 1% points plus 25% annual bonus on total earnings (cash) or 2% cash back on gas, groceries

No Hassle Miles- 1.25% points -charge travel to card and then redeem points

Mo Hassle Miles Ultra for Professionals - 2% points - charge travel to card and redeem points