Are any vaccinations required?

By RCI ? (Or anyone else, for that matter?)

This is for a Southern Caribbean itinerary, and I suddenly got all nervous wondering if they'd demand proof of various vaccinations before they let us on board ship or anything like that.

No one has said anything about it to me, but just thought I'd check!

we're travelling from the UK and, for the Caribbean, we've had Hep A, tetanus (plus diptheria and polio combined) and typhoid, all of which were recommended for that part of the world

when we honeymooned in 1980 we had nothing, but decided not to take a chance this time, event though we're only stopping at places for the day

You can go to this site from the CDC and find out all kinds of info about where you are going to and any vaccines that are recommended. I used to work in a travel immunization clinic and as far as I know yellow fever is the only vaccination that is REQUIRED and that's for like going to areas like some parts of South America if I remember correctly. I have however had Hep A and B and Tetanus is recommended every 10 years. Have a great trip!:)

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/

How long before your cruise would you need to get a vaccination for it to do any good? We are leaving in 4 days. I'm relieved to hear there aren't any we need, and if it's too late to get even the recommended ones than I guess that's that!

You can go to this site from the CDC and find out all kinds of info about where you are going to and any vaccines that are recommended. I used to work in a travel immunization clinic and as far as I know yellow fever is the only vaccination that is REQUIRED and that's for like going to areas like some parts of South America if I remember correctly. I have however had Hep A and B and Tetanus is recommended every 10 years. Have a great trip!:)

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/

Thank you for the link, it has some helpful info on the site!

Hi - We are travelling to the southern Caribbean as well and just visited a Travel Clinic.

We were told that Hep A & B is a MUST. You can get them both in 1 shot called "Twinrix". You need 3 shots before you go and they are spaced 6 months apart so plan ahead.

Things have changed since the hurricanes of 2005 and some of the inland areas of the Dominican Republic have reported cases of malaria and dengue fever. We were advised to use bug spray for all inland travel.

We were also given Tetanus shots.

A well informed traveller is a safe traveller.

Hi - We are travelling to the southern Caribbean as well and just visited a Travel Clinic.

We were told that Hep A & B is a MUST. You can get them both in 1 shot called "Twinrix". You need 3 shots before you go and they are spaced 6 months apart so plan ahead.

Your wording here could cause some people to panic. Perhaps you were told they were a must. But they are not required. If you go to an immunization clinic you will be told that Hep A & B are a must even if you don't plan on traveling out of the US.

Hepatis B is from blood and bodily fluids, Hepatitis A is from contaminated food and water. I prefer to be safe, so we already have had ours. The Hep B is a three series over 6 mos, Hep a is 2 series over 6 mos also. I haven't heard of the "Twinrix" that Pacific Sandy was talking about. As far as bug spray we never have used it just in port. I don't plan on using it unless going into the heavy jungle or woods or something like that. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived