Seeing Penguins in February

S&B

When do the penguins usually begin to leave? I know it varies from year to year but if one sails in mid February vs. the first of February out of Buenos Aires would you still see alot of penguins or are they starting to leave by the third week of February? Puerto Madryn, Stanley, Puerto Arenas?

Thanks for any help. :)

When we were there 3 years ago, we went out to Punt Tombo from Peurto Madryn. There were still a lot of penguins. We walked among them, in fact wandered too close to a burrow and one of them nipped at my pants. They were starting to migrate back towards Brazil. At peak times, there can be over 200,000. We didn't stop to see them anyplace else. Rained in the falklands and just too far away anyplace else. Pat

We were there on Feb 7th of this year and there were loads of penguins at Punto Tombo.We did a private excursion and got there well before the tour bus and had the place to ourselves,For me it was one of the highlights of our South American cruise.

S&B,

That trip was before I joined CC. We cruised with Uniworld on the NCL Crown..We had our own tour director and arranged tours all included. They don't do this trip any more. We sailed from BA about the 20th of Feb., which put us in Peurto Madryn about 2 days later. It was hot and the buses weren't airconditioned, but not uncomfortable. The penguins had started north, but there there were still an aweful lot of them. Pat

Archived