Duped into buying travel insurance??

noenre

We are cruising in less than 3 weeks with my parents and other family members. The subject of travel insurance came up yesterday and I was telling my father that we opted not to purchase it. Well...he was shocked because when he booked he was not told it was an option (he is a 1st time cruiser). The rep told him it was part of the package and matter-of-factly gave him the price. This especially stinks for him because he also paid for my brother & SIL's room and was charged for the insurance for them also.

This topped with other Upsell problems he has had with NCL has caused him to have a less than favorable view of NCL and the cruise hasn't even happened yet.

Does anyone think there is anything we can do to get this fixed? It seems to be well-known that NCL reps can be worthless so I am hesisitant to call them. I am hoping there is a better number I can call for him.

Call corporate headquarters (number is under Contact Us on the NCL website). Tell them you want to lodge a complaint. We did this and got our problem of being overcharged fixed by a gentleman named Mario. Hopefully anyone you get at the headquaters can help you. Good luck!

after my last trip, we are buying insurance every time. even if you don't fly. last trip was the 1st we had gotten travel insurance, thank goodness we didn't need it. but we had my FIL with us, with his health issues we could have had to leave the cruise at any time.

we learned our lessons with our flights, almost didn't make it to the cruise and then with FIL's health....we are ALWAYS going to have trip insurance.

How much can I afford to loose? For instance, a medivac is @ $20,000 USD.

Agreed it was wrong for the rep to say insurance isn't optional. It IS, but I would never cruise without it!

I didn't realize it also covered things like a medivac...I thought it was just in case you have to cancel the cruise for whatever reason.

Wouldn't my regular medical insurance cover things like a medivac?

medivac for sure (we are talking helicopter right?)

it was made clear to me that the insurance you get will cover the medical transportation. and you can never tell when you need that. so for a small add-on (relative to the cost of one's health or life)...it's worth it.

but the crummy rep should have been more forthcoming on the details. (they probably just get so complacent in saying the same things over and over....still....no excuse.

Call corporate headquarters (number is under Contact Us on the NCL website). Tell them you want to lodge a complaint. We did this and got our problem of being overcharged fixed by a gentleman named Mario. Hopefully anyone you get at the headquaters can help you. Good luck!

I am on hold with NCL corp. right now. They are saying they can't do anything because he is paid in full. I am holding for a supervisor because I don't believe that. Give him an onboard credit or something!

medivac for sure (we are talking helicopter right?)

it was made clear to me that the insurance you get will cover the medical transportation. and you can never tell when you need that. so for a small add-on (relative to the cost of one's health or life)...it's worth it.

but the crummy rep should have been more forthcoming on the details. (they probably just get so complacent in saying the same things over and over....still....no excuse.

I completely agree about the importance of health over money for the travel insurance, but I woud think my regular health insurance should cover this...

I completely agree about the importance of health over money for the travel insurance, but I woud think my regular health insurance should cover this...

not being lifeflighted out. just remember network and out of network. if you were to be lifeflighted out say...while you were in the caribbean...you'd be flown to the closest land hospital. not sure if your health plan from work would cover that....at least not in the way we'd like it to.

Until you call your health insurance to see if it is covered, "should" doesn't mean squat! Some HMO's won't cover out of country/out of network medical period.

I personally would NEVER book a cruise without travel insurance.

What are you going to do if your plane is late and you miss embarkation?

What are you going to do if you run late with a privately-booked excursion and you miss departure?

Travel ins. covers those things...

It sounds to me like you have a lot more research to do before you cancel the travel insurance!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My DH and I and another couple were booked on a river cruise this past May and a week and a half before we were to leave DH bent over to pick up the soap in the shower and threw his back out. Needless to say he was unable to travel. It has taken him almost 6 weeks to recover. Luckily we did take out the trip insurance and got back all of our money except for the cost of the insurance. The couple traveling with us were also refunded their money.

We are now booked on the 8/4 POAm cruise and yes we took the insurance.

Bottom line I would NEVER cruise without it.

Until you call your health insurance to see if it is covered, "should" doesn't mean squat! Some HMO's won't cover out of country/out of network medical period.

What are you going to do if you run late with a privately-booked excursion and you miss departure?

It sounds to me like you have a lot more research to do before you cancel the travel insurance!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ouch...my spleen is starting to hurt!

I've had to use my travel insurance twice. I can't imagine ever taking a cruise without it. Too many things can happen.

You know how much the insurance costs, but you don't know how much an emergency would cost you.

I am one of the unfortunate ones who has had to use the cruise insurance for medical reasons. My DH had an incident on a ship which he needed to be medivaced out.

Total bill including ships hospital bill, medivac, and meds..$230,000- Travel insurance PRICELESS.. We didnt owe a dime and NO our regular medical insurance didnt cover a thing.

PS.. I wouls NEVER travel without Travel Insurance even for my kids.

I am one of the unfortunate ones who has had to use the cruise insurance for medical reasons. My DH had an incident on a ship which he needed to be medivaced out.

Total bill including ships hospital bill, medivac, and meds..$230,000- Travel insurance PRICELESS.. We didnt owe a dime and NO our regular medical insurance didnt cover a thing.

PS.. I wouls NEVER travel without Travel Insurance even for my kids.

thank you, poohisme2 for that tremendous insight. sorry to hear about it though.

I NEVER pick the HMO for my medical insurance (hate HMOs).

I have not yet flown to a cruise (if I did I would get the insurance)

We don't do our own excursions

Thanks for all of your input (everyone)...next time I'll tell DH we should consider the insurance.

This specific problem was for my parents' reservation. It looks like they'll be keeping their insurance since NCL won't do anything about it. For the best, I guess...but I told the supervisor from NCL Corp that we will travel NCL again but never again book directly through NCL. You never know if you are getting the right info! I have gotten all of my Correct info about my cruise and NCL from this message board...sad...next time we'll be booking through a TA.

thank you, poohisme2 for that tremendous insight. sorry to hear about it though.
Good news, my DH is great now and has been on 7 cruises since that incident. The thing people don't think about is, its not just for older people. My DH was 35 when this happened.

Just last month I needed to see the ships Dr on the Dawn for an scratched cornea. The 15 minute visit cost me $148-, my travel insurance cost $50- and refunded the cost of the visit in 10 days:)

Is against the CC rules to ask who people are using for travel insurance?

Is it....????

Because, if it is OK.....

Pooh, can you PLEASE e-mail me who you use....????

Because, if they covered medical expenses for OVER 200,000....!!!!:eek:

THAT IS A FANTASTIC COMPANY.......!!!!icon14.gificon14.gif

sjpolishprincess@aim.com

THANK YOU.......!!!!icon14.gif:)

Even on this board, none of us, really know what Insurance will or will not carry, from whom to buy from, etc...It's such a confusing issue, so much so, I reckon it's a 'conspiracy' prepetrated by the lines themsleves and the Insurance co to keep us duly confused and uninformed, but keep paying for it. (lol)

Cruise Critic occasionally runs special information on Insurance, but from already reading this thread, few of us, including me, really understand it all.

NCL Insurance, by what I've read here, and most cruiseline Insurance is SECONDARY coverage. It'll only kick in after your personal coverage pays. Inotherwords, it's 'crappy low-level' Insurance. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me. You may think you're covered for this n that, but you are not.

You have no choice of carrier.

Most travel agencies also can sell you insurance, though I suspect, again, it's of a secondary nature. Depends on the travel agency, but be assured, each agency has a co whom they deal with, you're not getting a choice.

So, most Ta's and cruislines want to sell you Insurance, cos they make a nice markup on it, and get volume kickbacks. They say it's good for you, but they rarely explain the benefit coverage. I'm sure they're are exceptions to this, I'm generalizing...

PRIMARY Coverage, from what I've read here, is best bought independantly of the cruiselines, through such carriers as Travel Guard, etc, or websites, that will offer you a choice of carriers, and better explain benefits coverage.

What I'm saying is that is abhorent that a line, would hard-sell insurance, let alone, simply add it on, without first making sure that is what the customer wants, the benefit coverage, and cost.

It is also sad, we as customers, keep buying it, cos we think we need it, but without better scrutiny about benefit coverage, that it is primary coverage, and making sure when we buy, we have a choice of carriers.

For my first 10 cruises, I just bought from the cruisline. Now I know better, from reading posts on cruise critic, for my upcoming X Xpedition and NCL Jewel cruises, I will buy travel guard direct.

Maybe cruise critic could start and insurance section of this board, so the masses, us cruisers, could be more informed.

jc

toronto

I think it would be great if CC added an insurance section. I was planning on not getting any for our first time cruise...but now I am rethinking that. We have travelled to Jamaica and England and neither time had insurance. It would seem the major expense is medi-vac and serious stuff like that. We are both in our mid-20's and perfect physicals, so I still wonder if it is worth it though...but leaning towards yes. A section with tons of info would be fantastic

I think it would be great if CC added an insurance section. I was planning on not getting any for our first time cruise...but now I am rethinking that. We have travelled to Jamaica and England and neither time had insurance. It would seem the major expense is medi-vac and serious stuff like that. We are both in our mid-20's and perfect physicals, so I still wonder if it is worth it though...but leaning towards yes. A section with tons of info would be fantastic

For my FIRST CRUISE in 2005, I was considering NOT buying Trip Insurance. I thought, "WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY....!!!!"

THEN, I was watching the Morning News and saw video of some unfortunate person being Medi-vacued off a cruise ship and my first thought was, "HOLY MOLY.....!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD THAT COST.......????!!!!":eek: :o

I called my Health Insurance, and they would NOT cover an airlift off a ship. So, when 9:00am arrived, I called up my TA and said, "SIGN ME UP....!!!!"icon14.gif

I REALLY THINK it is best to go with the "WHAT IF....???" way of looking at trip insurance. It is just another part of the total trip cost. Like airfare, hotels, cabs, etc.......

That's how I look at it..........:)

Archived