Duped into buying travel insurance??

noenre

Nita--I'm sure the rep who spoke with my wife was wrong (although I don't know about the credit vs the refund--I couldn't find any information on this), but question whether some reps use this as a way to get more people to buy insurance. I would think most people who are booking might buy that it is madatory and accept it without question.

gabom, I am not just talking about whole life, though it is by far the most egregious as far as that goes. The variable policies should be criminal.

However the term companies make plenty of money too, though not at the expense of the financial well being of the insured.

If you want lower travel insurance prices, shop around, the price will only be as high as the market will bear.

A lot of regular health insurance companies don't pay for medivac. If in doubt, check the insurance policy...and don't rely on what the customer service rep says on the phone, as they are often wrong.

Also, I would advise people who want to get trip insurance to do it as soon after buying the tickets as possible. Sometimes they will waive the pre-existing condition limitation if you do that.

And be sure to know what the policy covers. It's not going to refund the cost of the trip if you change your mind and don't want to go. And it generally won't cover pre-existing conditions. So don't wait until you get sick to buy. I think that most policies offer a free look so that if it doesn't suit your needs, you can cancel it within a few days and get your money back. These companies WILL check your medical records if you submit a claim.

Nita--I'm sure the rep who spoke with my wife was wrong (although I don't know about the credit vs the refund--I couldn't find any information on this), but question whether some reps use this as a way to get more people to buy insurance. I would think most people who are booking might buy that it is madatory and accept it without question.

you are probably right, if I was told it was mandtory and didn't know the difference, maybe I would be niave to bite. I still have never had a rep pull anything like this, of course as agents we do work with a different group of agents, that could be the difference.

If indeed they are doing this, it is awful. As for buying insurance, those who suggest you go to the net have good points, but PLEASE know what you are getting. Insurnace is very hard to understand for some of us; what might look good for 50% less is the same coverage. i am not knocking people doing this, I just want to inform them not always what you think you are getting is, indeed what you are.

Nita

If something happens you will wish you had cruise insurance..Like my 50 year old wife having an appendicitus attack 2 weeks before a cruise..we got back everything we had spent and booked another 2 months later..all we were out was $50 for changing flights....we just paid $176 for insurance for a 2 week cruise for 2 people....Dennis

We are cruising in less than 3 weeks with my parents and other family members. The subject of travel insurance came up yesterday and I was telling my father that we opted not to purchase it. Well...he was shocked because when he booked he was not told it was an option (he is a 1st time cruiser). The rep told him it was part of the package and matter-of-factly gave him the price. This especially stinks for him because he also paid for my brother & SIL's room and was charged for the insurance for them also.

This topped with other Upsell problems he has had with NCL has caused him to have a less than favorable view of NCL and the cruise hasn't even happened yet.

Does anyone think there is anything we can do to get this fixed? It seems to be well-known that NCL reps can be worthless so I am hesisitant to call them. I am hoping there is a better number I can call for him.

Consider yourself Lucky. I just had a client that broke their hip on a ship. They had insurance thankfully . Most US policies do not cover expenses or medivac when out of the country. Once you board a cruise ship, you are out of the country since they are foreign registered. I for one would never cruise without travel insurance. I pay just as you would. I sometimes take outside insurance, such as Access America, because the coverage is higher.

Consider yourself Lucky. I just had a client that broke their hip on a ship. They had insurance thankfully . Most US policies do not cover expenses or medivac when out of the country. Once you board a cruise ship, you are out of the country since they are foreign registered. I for one would never cruise without travel insurance. I pay just as you would. I sometimes take outside insurance, such as Access America, because the coverage is higher.

You know it's funny because to hear NCL reps talk about the insurance I was under the impression it only covered me if I had to cancel the cruise. They never once mentioned to me that it covered any kind of medical emergency once onboard. Even when I called a few days ago and spoke with the corporate complaint dept rep he said it would be good for my father to have this insurance in case something happened and he has to cancel his vacation. He never said anything about medical coverage onboard. If the NCL reps were as knowledgeable as the people on this board I would have bought the insurance myself. Although now thanks to all of you I know not to purchase it from NCL ;)

Oh and by the way...the rep I spoke with to let them know that my father was misinformed concerning the insurance was supposed to call me back within 24 hrs...hmmmm maybe something is wrong with my phone:eek:

Regardless, my father will keep the insurance, but it would be nice for them to call back as they promised to do!!

Archived