Duped into buying travel insurance??

noenre

We always buy cancellation/interuption but not medical.

My work plan (Sun Life - Canada) covers $1,000,000 CDN$ for the first 7 days of travel.

My wifes work plan (Sun Life - Canada) covers $1,000,000 CDN$ for first 60 days of travel.

This covers 100% of all expenses incurred because of injury/illness. Even pre-existing conditions as long as were being treated and stable before you left. Including air ambulance and flights home. At which time the province takes over paying.

I didn't realize it also covered things like a medivac...I thought it was just in case you have to cancel the cruise for whatever reason.

Wouldn't my regular medical insurance cover things like a medivac?

NOPE! He'll be singing a different tune if he ends up needing to use the insurance. But even if he doesn't use it, the peace of mind is worth a whole lot. Perhaps agent was misleading or perhaps he misunderstood? But he'd be foolish to travel without the insurance.

NOPE! He'll be singing a different tune if he ends up needing to use the insurance. But even if he doesn't use it, the peace of mind is worth a whole lot. Perhaps agent was misleading or perhaps he misunderstood? But he'd be foolish to travel without the insurance.

It will be so sad if they are successful in getting the credit and then need the insurance once it is gone.

Actually it is usually the HMO's that do cover transport and med evac even out of country. It is medicare and indemnity and PPO's that often exclude med evac etc.

I checked before my cruise and verified in the evidence of coverage that out of country was covered for emergencies and transport including air ambulance back to the US thru my HMO was covered at 100% of charges.

In general most consumer guides will tell you that travel insurance is not a good "investment".

I think it would be great if CC added an insurance section. I was planning on not getting any for our first time cruise...but now I am rethinking that. We have travelled to Jamaica and England and neither time had insurance. It would seem the major expense is medi-vac and serious stuff like that. We are both in our mid-20's and perfect physicals, so I still wonder if it is worth it though...but leaning towards yes. A section with tons of info would be fantastic

I found this on article on insurance on CC. Very good information.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=274

How much can I afford to loose? For instance, a medivac is @ $20,000 USD.

Agreed it was wrong for the rep to say insurance isn't optional. It IS, but I would never cruise without it!

Ditto....Never cruise without travel insurance. Just read the posts of those who arent in financial ruin because they spent the $100/pp or so extra.

I also quoted a cruise on the NCL website, and was surprised that I was unable to take the insurance part off the quote.

I don't like to buy the insurance from NCL, and would have been irritated if I was told that I needed to.

The price is more than I want to pay for the policy.

I have always purchased trip insurance for my cruises, usually through insuremytrip.com, but sometimes through the travel agency that I book through.

You never know ...you could have a car accident on the way to the pier, or suffer a medical event requiring

Years ago, when I worked for a health insurance company, I assisted a customer whose husband had suffered a stroke while cruising in Mexico. The gentleman needed to be airlifted to Miami, and then again home to Boston once his condition was stable. I cannot imagine how they would have coped with the situation if they had not had the travel insurance to back up their primary coverage, which didn't cover much.

If you shop around, the price of the insurance is 1 to 3% of the cost of the cruise. Cheaper than most shore excursions.

I always take it.

I understand that some folks don't

It's good to have a choice.

In general most consumer guides will tell you that travel insurance is not a good "investment".

Sure glad I don’t pay much attention to these so-called experts. My wife had to have emergency surgery last year two weeks before a cruise and four weeks before a land vacation, both of which I had insured. The money I would have lost without the insurance would have paid many times over the cost of all the travel insurance I have ever bought. Glad I had it.

Are these the same experts who this Spring predicted gas prices wouldn’t rise and would most likely fall, just before we saw it rise? And then again predicted it had reached its peak and would fall as we watched it rise even more. And when it did fall a few cents three weeks ago said it was now going down and would go down more just before we had another 30 cents jump in price.

Not to mention the friends I know who put their faith in these investment experts and now must work in retirement to pay their bills. It seems many of these experts want you to put your money where they (The expert) will make a good return on it, many times with high risk.

I make safe investments and buy insurance to cover what I don’t want to lose. The cost is so minimal compared to the loss if something happens and you don’t have it.

Ditto....Never cruise without travel insurance. Just read the posts of those who arent in financial ruin because they spent the $100/pp or so extra.

If anything should convince anyone sitting on the fence about any kind of travel insurance - hop over to the poor Celebrity forums and have a look at the thread about the last minute cancelled X Millenium cruise that happened in the wee hours of Sunday. That sure convinced me :o

I have just purchased my policy for an upcoming cruise for 4.

The web agency that I bought from had clear explainations of each line of coverage and links to the actual policy forms, with the exclusions and policy limits.

The site also had a chat feature, so if I didn't understand a coverage, I could ask an agent. I was able to find what I needed to know from the site.

I would encourage people who are curious to take the time to compare the policies and look at the fine print.

Insurance is funny....it's the only product that you buy with the hopes that you won't need to use it :)

On the CORAL PRINCESS my wife fainted and fell face first, need emergency room stiching on board, that all involved many $$$$'s. INSURANCE COVERED

First Sunday in May this year I get this stupid STROKE, it's 30 days till TAHITIAN PRINCESS cruise and with re-hab and all I'm in hosp for 8 weeks, there goes all the plans and $$$$$'s.

INSURANCE COVERED

NONE OF THIS WAS IN THE PLANS...RIGHT ?

BUT INSURANCE WAS AND WE RE-COOPED EVERY PENNY !!!!

I SUGGEST YOU ALWAYS BUY INSURANCE.

CIAO,

For my FIRST CRUISE in 2005, I was considering NOT buying Trip Insurance. I thought, "WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY....!!!!"

THEN, I was watching the Morning News and saw video of some unfortunate person being Medi-vacued off a cruise ship and my first thought was, "HOLY MOLY.....!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD THAT COST.......????!!!!":eek: :o

I called my Health Insurance, and they would NOT cover an airlift off a ship. So, when 9:00am arrived, I called up my TA and said, "SIGN ME UP....!!!!"icon14.gif

I REALLY THINK it is best to go with the "WHAT IF....???" way of looking at trip insurance. It is just another part of the total trip cost. Like airfare, hotels, cabs, etc.......

That's how I look at it..........:)

It is illogical for anyone to consider not having insurance. Granted, if the situation occurred precisely as the OP documents here, that wasn't the way to present the information...no doubt about it. But her parents are in a better position having rather than NOT having the insurance. Insurance coverage is based on risk...how much are you willing to risk? Your entire bank account to get the care you need? It's a little pricey (I understand that Celebrity is now charging higher rates for older adults - my colleague at work told me this regarding her upcoming Med trip...her parents (in their late 70's) are paying TWICE what she is paying...and you may never use it. But...is it really worth the risk?

Of course it's a free country and you are free to make the decision to not buy the insurance however...PLEASE do not come back here whining if you had to cancel your cruise or if you get ill (G-d forbid!)...I would be very surprised if anyone's private health coverage covers any of you...especially outside of the country.

How many of us pay for house insurance? That's expensive too...and I haven't had to put in a claim in over 20 years...do I consider all that money we've paid over 20 years a waste? Absolutely not.

Ciao and happy SAFE sailing!

W A W W

I understand those who say that their own HMO or other medical policy will cover the evacuation and expenses at the nearest medical facility.

But chances are they will NOT cover any of the expenses related to getting you home from that medical facility. Or the hotel expenses of the healthy travelling companion who gets to the facility on their own. Or any other incidentals.

Imagine if, once released from the hospital, you physically need to fly first class for the added space and ability to recline in order to safely get home. Or require a nurse to accompany you home.

A good travel insurance policy will most likely cover these expenses; your HMO will not.

The policy I purchased for our upcoming cruise, covering all four of us going, was less than $225 (my kids are covered in full for FREE, since they are under 16) and provides $500,000 each in primary medical/evacuation coverage. To protect the assets I have now that have taken us YEARS to accumulate, that is money well spent.

On the CORAL PRINCESS my wife fainted and fell face first, need emergency room stiching on board, that all involved many $$$$'s. INSURANCE COVERED

First Sunday in May this year I get this stupid STROKE, it's 30 days till TAHITIAN PRINCESS cruise and with re-hab and all I'm in hosp for 8 weeks, there goes all the plans and $$$$$'s.

INSURANCE COVERED

NONE OF THIS WAS IN THE PLANS...RIGHT ?

BUT INSURANCE WAS AND WE RE-COOPED EVERY PENNY !!!!

I SUGGEST YOU ALWAYS BUY INSURANCE.

CIAO,

Better days ahead brother...keep on keepin' on. Recovery is not overnight but you'll get there.

Ciao and good health!

W A W W

Actually it is usually the HMO's that do cover transport and med evac even out of country. It is medicare and indemnity and PPO's that often exclude med evac etc.

I checked before my cruise and verified in the evidence of coverage that out of country was covered for emergencies and transport including air ambulance back to the US thru my HMO was covered at 100% of charges.

HMO's cover in their service area...emergencies out of the service area are generally covered. HMO's rarely, if EVER, cover for any type of care outside of the country. I am most interested to hear who you have coverage with.

Understand I'm not saying the coverage doesn't exist...but it's very rare indeed.

Consumer guides who do not believe this type of insurance is a good investment are most likely looking a the "frequency" of use (risk management = frequency and severity). And, thank goodness, the ratio of folks who have to use the insurance versus those who don't is absolutely skewed towards the latter. However...these "experts" also don't take into account the individual situations that exist in the real world...people get ill UNEXPECTEDLY...elderly parents die UNEXPECTEDLY...the list goes on and on.

And with that, I will now get off my soapbox.

Ciao,

W A W W

We are cruising in less than 3 weeks with my parents and other family members. The subject of travel insurance came up yesterday and I was telling my father that we opted not to purchase it. Well...he was shocked because when he booked he was not told it was an option (he is a 1st time cruiser). The rep told him it was part of the package and matter-of-factly gave him the price. This especially stinks for him because he also paid for my brother & SIL's room and was charged for the insurance for them also.

This topped with other Upsell problems he has had with NCL has caused him to have a less than favorable view of NCL and the cruise hasn't even happened yet.

Does anyone think there is anything we can do to get this fixed? It seems to be well-known that NCL reps can be worthless so I am hesisitant to call them. I am hoping there is a better number I can call for him.

It appears you booked directly with NCL instead of using a travel agent. Normally the cruise line insurance is more expensive but I am shocked they didn't give him an option. Normally the wording goes something like "price is xxx plus added taxes of XXX. Cruise protection insurance is XXX. I can see how someone might think it is part of the package and that sucks, but I think it is called sales technique.

Can you do anything about it? No, should you carry insurance? Damn well bet you should. I had a client ask me today if she really needed insurance? My answer, it only takes one time for something to go wrong and you will be thankful forever you spent the extra dollars. Did I twist her arm? no, but she has decided to go for it.

Again, there is nothing your dad can do now, fair or not. NMnita

I canceled a 2 week trip to Italy when my Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and given 6 months to live. We didn't want to be gone for 2 weeks of his 6 months. We got a full refund (and he wasn't even one of the passengers - just a family member)

Unless my trip is very short and very cheap and within the US, I would never travel without trip insurance.

I always get the TA insurance (after reviewing benefits) and make sure I pay the full insurance cost when I make my cruise deposit so that my "pre-existing medical condition" will be covered. Some travel insurance can be picky about paying-out if your medical problem is related to a prior condition. (I haven't had a problem, but as this thread demonstrates something can happen unexpectedly.) Check with your TA to confirm that a pre-existing condition will be covered if you pay for your insurance with your deposit.

I actually worked as a home agent for NCL in Phoenix a couple of years ago. (Worst job EVER!!!Don't get me started....:eek: ) I did learn one valuable lesson::::have travel insurance.

From that wretched experience working as a phone drone I learned that I will always buy the insurance. I heard so many tales of woe from passengers, travel agents and other employees. Stuff happens, people have emergencies, accidents and such. Buy the insurance from a third party and not the cruiseline if you want to save some money. Read the entire coverage details to be sure it is the policy that suits you.

Sure glad I don’t pay much attention to these so-called experts. My wife had to have emergency surgery last year two weeks before a cruise and four weeks before a land vacation, both of which I had insured. The money I would have lost without the insurance would have paid many times over the cost of all the travel insurance I have ever bought. Glad I had it.

Are these the same experts who this Spring predicted gas prices wouldn’t rise and would most likely fall, just before we saw it rise? And then again predicted it had reached its peak and would fall as we watched it rise even more. And when it did fall a few cents three weeks ago said it was now going down and would go down more just before we had another 30 cents jump in price.

Not to mention the friends I know who put their faith in these investment experts and now must work in retirement to pay their bills. It seems many of these experts want you to put your money where they (The expert) will make a good return on it, many times with high risk.

I make safe investments and buy insurance to cover what I don’t want to lose. The cost is so minimal compared to the loss if something happens and you don’t have it.

The experts about cruise insurance are not the same ones that predict gas prices.

Your arguement that you "won" on cruise insurance and therefore it represents a sound purchase is a lot like saying lottery tickets are a good investment because somebody always wins. Fact is that the lottery is a poor use of money and so is cruise insurance (though I'm glad it worked out for you).

Cruise insurance is the most expensive and overpriced of all travel related services bar none.

But don't take my work for here are the experts:

In most cases, travelers would do better saving their money for souvenirs, rather than wasting it on travel insurance, says the May issue of Consumer Reports. Travel insurance often merely duplicates coverage that people already have.

CR recommends that travelers should think twice before purchasing products including trip cancellation/interruption insurance, personal effects or baggage coverage, emergency medical assistance, accidental death policies, and others.

“Many people don't realize it, but travel insurance often duplicates coverage they already have through their credit cards, homeowners insurance, life insurance and other policies,” said Greg Daugherty, Editor at Large at Consumer Reports. Daugherty said that one possible exception would be emergency medical coverage for travelers in poor health heading overseas, if their health insurance doesn’t cover them outside the U.S.

Credit cards sometimes provide coverage for accidental death, lost baggage and rental cars; and homeowners insurance often covers policyholders’ possessions outside the home and damage to luggage and cameras.

The article points out that consumers are likely to receive refunds even on canceled trips and events considered beyond an airline or other provider’s control, such as war or a natural disaster. In addition, airlines are required to reimburse travelers for lost bags.

End of Story

HMO's cover in their service area...emergencies out of the service area are generally covered. HMO's rarely, if EVER, cover for any type of care outside of the country. I am most interested to hear who you have coverage with.

As noted I will give you that info if you email me. gadom@hotmail.com

It is one of the 3 listed (I *** the employer name for privacy)

Medical Coverage When Traveling

Emergency/Urgent Care Situations

Remember, if you are traveling and receive emergency or urgent care services, save all receipts and related documentation. This will make the claims reimbursement process with your carrier much easier. It’s good practice to call your insurance provider at your earliest opportunity to inform them of any emergency or urgent care services received.

Domestic Travel

International Travel

If you participate in a ***-sponsored medical plan (Kaiser, CareFirst and UHC) you will be covered in the event of a medical emergency.

If you participate in a ***-sponsored medical plan (Kaiser, CareFirst and UHC) you will be covered in the event of a medical emergency.

Your arguement that you "won" on cruise insurance and therefore it represents a sound purchase is a lot like saying lottery tickets are a good investment because somebody always wins. Fact is that the lottery is a poor use of money and so is cruise insurance (though I'm glad it worked out for you).

Are you a Politician or a Reporter? You sure like to put words in other people's mouths. No where did I say I "won" nor mentioned the Lottery. We've had the lottery for many years in this state and I've never played it. It's a bad investment.

I did say I buy insurance to cover what I do not wish to lose. That is not a bad investment. If you feel it is, don't buy it. Not a month goes by without me being hit up for a donation for someone who said they don't need insurance but have their hand out when it happens that they do.

Archived