Luggage Tag questions

My cruise documents were emailed to me, so I don't have actual adhesive color coded luggage tags or anything right now, but I hear you actually get those at the dock so it's not as big a deal.

What should I put on my luggage labels instead? Any cruise related information, just in case? Or just typical name and address and phone #? Will it matter to the airlines at all?

Don't put ANYTHING on your bags for the flight, except your airline tags! They have a hard enough time with luggage using their own tags!!! Wait until you get to port to put the cabin tags on.

Put your name and phone number in an outside pocket of your luggage, just in case they get lost. Then, they will know how to contact you!

People have differing opinions on this. I put my cruise luggage tags on before I leave the house, which is what it says to do in the documents. I do this even when flying....that way if it gets lost, they know where the bags should end up. The airlines are not going to mistake the cruise tags for airline tags....they look totally different!

I also print out my entire itinerary and put it INSIDE my luggage, just in case any tags on the outside fall off (small chance of it happening, but better to be safe than sorry!). :) That way inside and out, people can tell where your bags belong and when.

Oh, and yes, you can get luggage tags at the dock if you don't have the adhesive ones right now. We didn't for our last cruise either, so it took them 2 seconds to do it at the dock, and there was no problem! Have a great cruise! :)

I hope you can learn for my very big mistake. On our last cruise (Infinity) we stayed in a hotel in FLL that provided transportation to the port. It was a small bus with a trailer attached to it to hold all the suitcases. We were not allowed to bring any suitcases on the bus - everything had to go on the trailer, including my carry-on luggage. I had not put a luggage tag on that piece as I was supposed to be carrying it. To make a long story short, the driver took my carry-on off at the ship stop before ours and when we got to our ship - I was minus the carry on! To make it worse - there was no tag on it to help the porters at the other ship know where it belonged. We did get it back (DD went back to the other ship and rescued it just as it was being loading in one of those large crates (thank goodnees for the big bright bow on it!) So....if someone tells you to put everything in the trailer - don't - and be sure you have a ship's luggage tag on every piece of luggage!

People have differing opinions on this. I put my cruise luggage tags on before I leave the house, which is what it says to do in the documents. I do this even when flying....that way if it gets lost, they know where the bags should end up. The airlines are not going to mistake the cruise tags for airline tags....they look totally different!

I also print out my entire itinerary and put it INSIDE my luggage, just in case any tags on the outside fall off (small chance of it happening, but better to be safe than sorry!). :) That way inside and out, people can tell where your bags belong and when.

I like that inside itinerary idea. I think we will use on our next trip.

We have built in luggage name tag holders on our luggage. We take the business card size computer cards you can buy. On the top one we put the name of the hotel we will be staying at precruise, along with our name and cell phone number. On the next card we put the name of the cruise ship and our cabin number, and sail date again with our name and cell number. And lastly we have a tag with our home address, cell phone.

We put the all three in the luggage tag holders until we arrive at the hotel, then remove that one, revealing the one with the ship's info. At the end of the cruise, we take that one out so it now shows our home address.

Archived