Private guide in Rome

I know this has been covered before, but looking for a super private guide in Rome, to see lots. Should have some detailed knowledge for the Vatican and the Vatican Museum. Not for me, but for a great friend, his first time in Rome, if you can believe it. Price is not an object.

We've havent used them yet, but angeltoursrome.com has had some good reviews. Perhaps a search of Ports of Call board will lead to more information and more guide suggestions.

I stayed in Rome for 3 days after a Mediterranean cruise last year. I highly recommend Roberto as a private tour guide. He speaks very good English and has extensive knowledge of Rome and Umbria.

My friend and I hired him for 2 days. He has a mini-van, spacious and comfortable. We spent one day in Rome (we've been to Rome before, hence we selected particular sites to visit, and he made good suggestion of some hidden gems as well). We then went to Assisi and Ovieto the next day -- we both adored Giotto's fresco in the Franciscan church. Roberto also took us to some local trattoria for authetic Italian meals (loved the truffles) which were very good value for money.

We were very keen on visiting the Vatican museum, and there was no queue when we arrived at 2:30pm, though it was rather packed inside. Spent about 2 hours in the museum and Sistine Chapel, then visited St Peter's church. Though Roberto was not an art historian, he gave us enough information we expected.

I also did some research about private visit to the Vatican. There is a private group-tour which caters for about 12-15 people and the visit takes place at 5-6pm after the Vatican museum is closed to the public. The tour lasts for 1 hour only, but you have the whole place to yourself without the crowds. I think the tour only runs once a month, and cost about $250 per person.

www.tours-europe.com

roberto@tours-europe.com

• 2 weeks later...

Three years ago I used "My Roma" - check for their website - to get a guide to take us around the Vatican museum. The arrangements were perfect and the guide terrific. We were admitted to the museum in advance of the public and had a wonderful tour without crowds.

We used limoinrome and were very pleased with both the driver (2 days of touring) and the additional guide they arranged for us at the Vatican. We bypassed several lines (very long lines) at the Vatican thanks to the arrangements we made with them.

It has been a while since we used the following tour person but our experience was great. Have recommended her to others and they have always been very happy. Info is as follows:

Frances Nacman

Vicolo di S Agata 15

00153 Rome Italy

Tel 5894992 Email: n.frances@flashnet.it

Do not know if above is still current but worth a try. She is very good with small groups.

• 2 weeks later...

If price is truly not an object, and you want the very best, please try Angelo Fratini (limousine-2000@libero.it). As a teen-ager, he drove for the Hassler. Now he drives for Heads of State, celebrities, etc. His knowledge is amazing.

He got me into the Vatican through a "back-door" and close enough to the Pope to touch him while he was performing mass on the balcony. Angelo took me to Florence and to the Pope's Summer Palace. Angelo has connections through-out Italy.

We use Angelo every trip to Rome, even if it's just a transfer from airport to town to ship.

He is very popular and books out well in advance.

Angelo is simply a class act. You will find non better.

Archived