??s About Underwater "BOSS" Scooters

We are sailing on AOS in March 2008 and taking my DD future mother in law. She only in her 40's but had suffered a stroke many years ago and has limited mobility in her right arm and hand. We were wondering if you need both hands to control the scooters? I'm sure she could steer with both her hands, but not sure if fine motoer skills are required for hand controls for the throttle. Could anyone who has done this excursions please let me know how you control the scooter. The only restictions listed for this excursion is the usual height, weight, and age.

I did this excursion in 2005 in St Thomas. While I dont think it requires a ton of fine motor skills, it does take some strength in your hands. You have to hold down the handles pretty hard to get them to do what you want. They do that on purpose to prevent anyone from crashing one. Everyone talked about their hands hurting a bit afterwards. The handles are a bit like a motor cyles. Of course, she could probably go with you and not do the BOB and just snorkel. They may even give you a discount for her if you dont book her through RCCL, and just call and talk to them. You should be able to locate them online.

Have fun!

Yes, we did it, too, and had a blast! We did this in Cobo - it was one of my fondest memories (we have fabulous underwater photos). We were a group of 24 - 8 went down at a time. We were in the second group. I watched as the first group went down - a very nice college age guy went down first - we had talked w/him on the boat ride over - well, he had to be emergently pulled out because he started to hyperventilate - so you may want to consider this. You do need your hands to dive straight down and pop-up under the bubble - they use a lift to lower the machine/scooter - you also need to put on and wear a scuba suit.. While it was great & tremendous fun - I would not recommend it from what you are describing (P.S. - I'm nurse).

I had an interesting experience with the "BOB" scooters. My scooters steering was not functioning correctly. Imagine everyone following in a line an my scooter taking off in a different direction. My husband and son found it extremely funny. I had no idea what was going on, but knew that one of the crew kind of steered me around. He said the steering sometimes locks...so I imagine if the person you are speaking about had a problem, they could work with you. We had a great time and highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this excursion last week in St. Thomas. The crew is less than politically correct but in the end proved very professional. One rather unhealthy looking woman bailed out after about 10 seconds under water. Getting the ears adjusted to being eight feet under water and just getting comfortable with your head being confined in a plastic bubble are probably the hardest things to overcome.

The steering wasn't really hard although it did demand some concentration given the delayed response and sensitivity of the machines. They really only demand pulling back about 3 inches either way. My wife also said her machine only steered left so she was counterbalancing with her foot.

All in all it was a good trip although $99 for probably 8 minutes under water was probably a little steep. I think the steering really won't be a problem as you bacically only go around the boat ... it 's probably the other things I mentioned that are more challenging.

The BOB was invented by a guy whose wife was paraplegic and so could not scuba dive in order to give her the ability to enjoy underwater exploration. It is very easy to master -- in fact the hardest part is getting into it as your mind briefly resists the idea of putting your head in a container under water -- even an air-filled one. But, just like an upside down glass keeps the air in and the water out, so does this. You can even put your prescription glasses back on once your head is in the bubble since there's plenty of room in it (see picture).

It's not that difficult to steer and I dare say can be done with one hand. I'd ask them about the propulsion button. Some of the units had the magnetic system (you wear a glove with a magnet in the thumb, place thumb over contact and propeller spins). I think this could be done by her. The other type you have to hold a button down to spin the blade. That might be more difficult for her especially if it is on the right-hand side. So ask them about which type they have and if the button type which handle it is on.

And yes, for the Caribbean, no wet suit is required or necessary (or even offered).

Ron

BubbleHeadLL_228x410.jpg

We did this last year with Stuarts Cove in the Bahamas. It is the single best memorable highlight of all our cruises. I would do it again and again.......

You also should check with the tour company about the diving in park to get to your bubble. We did not have to do this. They offered it but also offered to bring the bubble up to us and we only went underwater after we were in the bubble. That's the option I chose.....I know, I'm a wimp! LOL The guides were with us all the time and if we got of course, they manually helped steer us from behind. I am sure that if they are informed of your MIL's condition before-hand, they willdo everything possible to make sure she is able to successfully participate in this excursion......

We also had the option of renting a wet-suit or not. It wasn't mandatory but I did because I was afraid the water would be cold. (this was in december).

We were with another couple and the guy, who is a very large man......(6'5" and probably 275 lbs.) also hyperventilated and had to be brought back to the surface. Actually, he panicked just trying to get under the bubble. But he also had problems kayaking the day before so I think it really was just him.......We had no problems and I recommend this for anyone. It was expensive but well worth it for the experience.....

Hope this helps.

Sharon

Archived