Will be my first cruise and...

ABCruiser

wanted to say that I just love this board!! We ususally do "all inclusives" but this year we thought we'll try a cruise. We've been holding back only because I'm scare I might get seasick. Am anxious to go on this cruise and I'll probably be posting questions once the date gets closer. Will be on the Summit Nov 5, 2004, anyone else?? Thanks for all the information!!

Welcome aboard, ABCruiser! We are always delighted to have new posters to this board. Please do let us know if we can answer any questions you have. This is a great place to make new friends and get to know fellow shipmates before you sail. I hope you have/will find your roll call and post on it.:D

Garry

Don't worry in advance about seasickness. It probably won't happen. If you are aprehensive when the time gets close, buy some dramamine or bonine and take one before setting sail. Some people use a patch. Keep positive thoughts. What a treat you are in for (bad grammer!). Cruising is a wonderful way to travel. What is your itinerary?

Get the Bonine at any Walgreens, 1 for 24 hrs. and you won't have any trouble whatsoever. We take them just as insurance. No side effects and you can still drink. Enjoy, I'm sure you'll love it as much as we do.

Marilyn

If you are the sensitive type and become too drowsy from

over-the-counter anti-nausea medication, ginger is also highly effective and you can find this in pill form too. My hubby usually buys some candied ginger for the trip but as a previous poster said, seasickness probably won't even happen. The Caribbean is fairly quiet and comfortable to sail on and you will experience little motion...actually, I rather like a slight lolling. It's like rocking you to sleep.

I don't want to hijack this thread (and don't know if I should start a new one) but if anybody can answer me what do you think is more effective dramamine or bonine?

I like the bonine better. It doesn't leave me with that "tired" feeling like dramamine. The both will make you drowsy, but the lasting effect seems less with bonine (or at least to me).

Garry

I use Seabands and they work for me. I know some that say they do not work but I have found them to work.

The last few cruises I have been on I did not feel the ship move. On the Mariner 3-weeks ago we went through some rain and lightening and as far as I could see no one got sick.

Hope you enjoy your 1st. If not this ship and itinerary - maybe it's not to be... That said, be as flexible as your stomch will allow. Since yours is motion sensitive, realize the 2 days at sea at the beginning and end do arc out into the Atlantic. They can be a bit rocky. Since this is your first cruise, remember that if the ship is making some motion and its upsetting those first days, that's not the end of it! It ought to flat as a mill pond among the islands.

Another: And - I'm REALLY not trying to be a bummer (even landed Sanibel was a Horrorshow this past week) but "Techinically Speaking" November is Hurricane Season (June-November). Hence, fares are GREAT, but there is the possibility of intinerary re-routes, etc. Satistically, both June and November are significantly lower risk months - but they're "season".

Given your enthusiasm and research, I'm sure you'll have wonderful time. Not a nay sayer, my wife too has a very soft tummy - she always wanted to cruise (me no) until we went '01. Half doz. later we're both cruzjunkies!

I just got back from my first cruise on 8/7/04. I cannot ride any sort of carnival ride without getting sick, so I was VERY nervous about seasickness. We also skirted hurricane Alex on our return, and you know what? I didn't even get queasy!

I truly believe that 90% of it is all in your head. If you tell yourself you won't get sick, you'll just have a great time, then you will :)

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Have a great time, I know you'll love cruising

I agree a lot of it is in your head but that being said I take bonine. Dramamine makes me very sleepy. I start with a whole Bonine the first day or two then cut back to half with no problems at all. I have been seasick in the past so I know this works!

Archived