Odyssey's Keel Is Laid!

Iamboatman

Hot off the press:

SAN GIORGIO DI NOGARO, Italy, July 12 /PRNewswire/ --In a ceremony steeped in age-old tradition, principles from The Yachts of Seabourn and T. Mariotti S.p.A., performed a keel-laying ceremony on July 11 for the line's 32,000-ton Seabourn Odyssey, due to enter service in June 2009.

Pamela C. Conover, Seabourn's president and CEO, placed an un-circulated 2007 U.S. Silver Eagle dollar coin in the keel as the first section of the hull was joined to it. Marco Bisagno, president of T. Mariotti S.p.A., contributed a newly minted Italian one-Euro coin to complete the ceremony, which traditionally solicits good fortune for the vessel during its construction and throughout its seagoing life.

The U.S. coin is decorated with an allegorical image called "Walking Liberty," depicted as a female form striding across the earth in flowing raiment. The Italian Euro coin depicts Leonardo da Vinci's famous "Vitruvian Man," symbolically fitting an ideal human form into a well-ordered and geometric universe.

Conover noted that "Seabourn's Odyssey Class vessels are being born of a time-honored Italian legacy, whereby innovative designers and skilled craftsmen team to create objects of beauty that inspire and bring delight to people over many years."

According to Bisagno, "Mariotti is honored to build the first of two ultra-luxury yachts for Seabourn, which will no doubt set a new international standard for world-class cruise vessels."

The sleek hull of Seabourn Odyssey is being constructed at CI.MAR, which is a new alliance between Mariotti and Cimolai Group, a premier firm specializing in sophisticated steel fabrication. Once completed, it will be transferred to Mariotti's shipyard at Genoa where they will fabricate the ship's graceful superstructure. Mariotti is a leader in the construction of intimate cruising vessels and ultra-luxury mega yachts.

Hot off the press:

SAN GIORGIO DI NOGARO, Italy, July 12 /PRNewswire/ --In a ceremony steeped in age-old tradition, principles from The Yachts of Seabourn and T. Mariotti S.p.A., performed a keel-laying ceremony on July 11 for the line's 32,000-ton Seabourn Odyssey, due to enter service in June 2009.

Pamela C. Conover, Seabourn's president and CEO, placed an un-circulated 2007 U.S. Silver Eagle dollar coin in the keel as the first section of the hull was joined to it. Marco Bisagno, president of T. Mariotti S.p.A., contributed a newly minted Italian one-Euro coin to complete the ceremony, which traditionally solicits good fortune for the vessel during its construction and throughout its seagoing life.

The U.S. coin is decorated with an allegorical image called "Walking Liberty," depicted as a female form striding across the earth in flowing raiment. The Italian Euro coin depicts Leonardo da Vinci's famous "Vitruvian Man," symbolically fitting an ideal human form into a well-ordered and geometric universe.

Conover noted that "Seabourn's Odyssey Class vessels are being born of a time-honored Italian legacy, whereby innovative designers and skilled craftsmen team to create objects of beauty that inspire and bring delight to people over many years."

According to Bisagno, "Mariotti is honored to build the first of two ultra-luxury yachts for Seabourn, which will no doubt set a new international standard for world-class cruise vessels."

The sleek hull of Seabourn Odyssey is being constructed at CI.MAR, which is a new alliance between Mariotti and Cimolai Group, a premier firm specializing in sophisticated steel fabrication. Once completed, it will be transferred to Mariotti's shipyard at Genoa where they will fabricate the ship's graceful superstructure. Mariotti is a leader in the construction of intimate cruising vessels and ultra-luxury mega yachts.

I guess that explains why Pamela Conover was on board for the June 30th to July 7th Monte Carlo to Rome jaunt. My understanding was that there were also members of the press onboard.

It looks to me from the scematic of the Odyssey that the A and A1 suites have no balconies? Is this correct? We're holding an A1 suite so I guess no balcony for us. :( Jean

Surely you must book a balcony on a nearly all balcony ship? :confused:

It makes sense not to book a balcony suite. Everyone else will be on theirs, so the A's and A1's can have the decks to themselves.

Don't know, but I'll bet they will be similar in size to Silver Sea-- Whisper and Shadow--they were nice size--if I recall correctly, each had a table and two chairs, and plenty of extra room. We had a larger suite on the Shadow once--Grand Suite--that suite was at least twice as large as the normal suite size--you could have a small cocktail on those. Don

>"..you could have a small cocktail on those."

Like a mini-martini?

Oh Jane...wouldn't that be the day! You should see the size of his martini glass..that is so that on medical questionaires he can say he has one drink at cocktail hour..Lola

Reminds me of what dear hubby wrote on one of my recent medical questionaires (when I was otherwise indisposed)...the drink question......

"she has the odd drink"....still wondering how the medical staff interpreted that one!

"she has theodddrink".... means she has a double at the 1st, 3rd, 5th .....15th round of the evening.

Hi Granny, glad to hear your humour wasn’t bypassed, get well soon.

Yes Jean, the profile artwork only shows the famous picture windows on deck 4. And on deck 5 the balconies have a solid railing rather than glass. Something has to keep back the waves when we’re speeding to our next exotic call.

Matt, from the press release and scaling the drawings the bulk of the cabins are 10.5 ft wide. That makes the regular balconies 6.4 ft deep for a 68 square ft area and the penthouses which are 15.75 ft wide would have the same depth for 100 square ft of balcony. Both sound enough for patio loungers for two.

Darlene and Bill

Hi Two4Sea....are we going to get a review of your last cruise? Would love to hear all about it! I will be 100% better by this time next week....I will be HOME instead of stuck on the other side of the Country! Cant wait....flying home next Saturday :D

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed something while looking at the deck plans in the latest Seabourn Herald. Will there be an adequate walking path for those of us that enjoy daily walks? The only place I see is on the same deck as the Sky Bar, but it seems a bit "tight".

Thoughts? I'm sure these plans are not the "finals", right?

PS - The Sun "Beds" sound like they will be wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed something while looking at the deck plans in the latest Seabourn Herald. Will there be an adequate walking path for those of us that enjoy daily walks? The only place I see is on the same deck as the Sky Bar, but it seems a bit "tight".

Thoughts? I'm sure these plans are not the "finals", right?

PS - The Sun "Beds" sound like they will be wonderful!

At first I thought the name "Odyssey" to be, well, ok. Now as that name surfaces more I am not so sure. To me the name now sounds a little odd for a Seabourn ship. What do you good 'Seabourn' folk now think?

Having read the "Odyssey" in Greek, I certainly like the name. A pity though that I didn't think of the name myself, which could have given me the free cruise!

I definitely hope to be able to sail the ship in the future and ask my husband : "Andra moi ennepe.........etc." (Hey man, tell me again about........). These being the first words of the Greek epos (a poem) by Homer, "the Odyssey".

I think I'm with CurlyQ on this one. Maybe they will get Dan Castellaneta (who's the voice of Homer on the Simpsons) to be godfather?

There have been so many ships called Odyssey - I would have preferred something closer to being unique eg like MS Wayfarer (just an example - in case someone tells me that the last ship with that name sank with all hands!)

Archived