Water Levels? I'm new to Riverboat Cruising

ChefPeg

Hi,

This is all new to me. I hadn't thought about the water level before. I saw on another thread something about the water levels.

What are the "usual" water levels? When would someone expect a problem with the water levels?

I learn something new almost everyday.

Thanks,

Peggy

When we took our first river cruise we were confused about the "water level" remarks, too. We found out quickly that when the rivers are running high the boats may not be able to get under some of the very low bridges! I don't think it's anything that can be predicted...It's just related to whether there is an excessive amount of rain. (Think Texas and 11 straight days of rain a few weeks ago.) I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Peggy,

Don´t worry too much about the river levels. No one can make a forecast and usually it´s a last minute decision of the captain based on the current weather forecast.

As Janet524 stated some bridges are quite low and with high water the ships can´t pass them anymore. With low water the channel might cause problems: 1) the channel isn´t deep enough anymore for the ship to cruise 2) there´s still enough water in the channel but not at the landings and the ship can´t make a stop anymore 3) the channel is getting smaller during low water and isn´t wide enough for the ship to turn around.

The Elbe river doesn´t have any locks and dams on the German part (except for the tidal lock at Geesthacht). The Czechs do have some locks and are holding the water back. Therefore the Elbe river usually suffers from low water in the summer. The Rhine river doesn´t have locks but there´s enough water there. There might be problems during very hot summers. The Main river has locks and dams and usually doesn´t cause any low water problems. It´s the same for the Canal and the Danube river down to Vienna except for one stretch in Germany near Straubing where they are fighting for more than 30 years now how or if to build a lock and dam to guarantee a navigable channel. Below Vienna the Danube river doesn´t have any locks/dams to guarantee the water level for the whole stretch down to Bucharest. Therefore hot summers can cause problems with low water.

High water usually occurs during the spring snow melt (which is more or less predictable). The other reason are heavy rainfalls. We had that in twice in August in 2002 and 2005(?) both on the Elbe and Danube river.

Anyway: The cruise company is trying to make the best out of the situation and they for sure want to please their passengers as they want them to come back.

steamboats

Peggy,

Don´t worry too much about the river levels. No one can make a forecast and usually it´s a last minute decision of the captain based on the current weather forecast.

As Janet524 stated some bridges are quite low and with high water the ships can´t pass them anymore. With low water the channel might cause problems: 1) the channel isn´t deep enough anymore for the ship to cruise 2) there´s still enough water in the channel but not at the landings and the ship can´t make a stop anymore 3) the channel is getting smaller during low water and isn´t wide enough for the ship to turn around.

The Elbe river doesn´t have any locks and dams on the German part (except for the tidal lock at Geesthacht). The Czechs do have some locks and are holding the water back. Therefore the Elbe river usually suffers from low water in the summer. The Rhine river doesn´t have locks but there´s enough water there. There might be problems during very hot summers. The Main river has locks and dams and usually doesn´t cause any low water problems. It´s the same for the Canal and the Danube river down to Vienna except for one stretch in Germany near Straubing where they are fighting for more than 30 years now how or if to build a lock and dam to guarantee a navigable channel. Below Vienna the Danube river doesn´t have any locks/dams to guarantee the water level for the whole stretch down to Bucharest. Therefore hot summers can cause problems with low water.

High water usually occurs during the spring snow melt (which is more or less predictable). The other reason are heavy rainfalls. We had that in twice in August in 2002 and 2005(?) both on the Elbe and Danube river.

Anyway: The cruise company is trying to make the best out of the situation and they for sure want to please their passengers as they want them to come back.

steamboats

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. I never even thought about water levels. It does make sense though. I guess I should watch the weather closely right before we leave next year. I hope it won't be a dry summer.:D

Thanks again,

Peggy

When we took our first river cruise we were confused about the "water level" remarks, too. We found out quickly that when the rivers are running high the boats may not be able to get under some of the very low bridges! I don't think it's anything that can be predicted...It's just related to whether there is an excessive amount of rain. (Think Texas and 11 straight days of rain a few weeks ago.) I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Thank you for the good expanation. I guess I should watch for rainfalls and drought before we leave on our riverboat cruise. I won't stress too much, I hadn't heard too many people complaining about it.

Thanks again,

Peggy

Archived