Ied Tea - Is it as bad as I have hear?

StarWarsGal

Sounds like you will have to just try it for yourself since we have all different answers and taste is so subjective.

I have had southern sweet tea and the tea on board is not that. I don't think it is powdered since it comes from the juice dispenser (there are no soda dispensers). DH and I were confirmed soda card users but on our past cruise we tried the iced tea the first day and found it to be quite tasty for us. He bought one soda during the 4 day cruise (I bought none).

Give it a try, worst thing is you end up buying the soda card.

I forgot to add, the tea in the dining room IS different. I have no idea how to explain it, but that tasted freshed brewed. The tea on the Lido deck isn't brewed anything. ;)

And I am not talking sweet verses unsweetened tea. I can be happy with unsweetened tea by adding some equal to it. But that stuff on Lido is NOT tea.

I forgot to add, the tea in the dining room IS different. I have no idea how to explain it, but that tasted freshed brewed. The tea on the Lido deck isn't brewed anything. ;)

And I am not talking sweet verses unsweetened tea. I can be happy with unsweetened tea by adding some equal to it. But that stuff on Lido is NOT tea.

Probably some sort of "tea syrup", if there is such a thing.....LOL!!! :D The dining room tea was better. I didn't find the Lido too bad and since I add splenda and lots of lemon to it anyway, it was ok for the couple times I had it on the lido.

Since I am from the south and drink Tea every day and most every night except when there are alcoholic libations to be had. I have to say that the Tea served at dinner is much better than the tea served on the lido deck. I will drink the fruit juices on the lido deck most of the time. I will at times drink the tea there but that is few and far between.

For what its worth my DW says it depends on the water and how the concentrate is mixed??? She didn't like the Glory's, Valor was "ok" Legend and Liberty were good just add sugar. OH by the way she is a true southern girl.

Probably some sort of "tea syrup", if there is such a thing.....LOL!!! :D The dining room tea was better. I didn't find the Lido too bad and since I add splenda and lots of lemon to it anyway, it was ok for the couple times I had it on the lido.

Yep, tea syrup! Good way to describe it. :D

Proper ratio for "sweetea" is 1 cup sugar to 2 quarts tea:eek: . As taught to me by the family elders. :D

Always sweeten when hot or you'll never get that much sugar to dissolve. I grew up on this but haven't made it in years - we always brewed it on the stovetop in a saucepan with 4 teabags, brought it to a boil and then let it sit (or "set" depending on how far south you are:p ) for 20 minutes - pour over the 1 cup sugar into the pitcher, stir, and top off with cold water to make the 2 quarts.

Yummy!!!

The only iced tea is the tea I make at home just like this. The tea you get elsewhere is instant and just doesn't compare. Yuk

Just bring Lipton Cold Brew tea bags. They come in two sizes, either by the glass or the pitcher. Pour cold water over them, brew a little longer than you have to do for hot water, and viola - fresh brewed iced tea! Only problem is that it doesn't come in decaf....

Just bring Lipton Cold Brew tea bags. They come in two sizes, either by the glass or the pitcher. Pour cold water over them, brew a little longer than you have to do for hot water, and viola - fresh brewed iced tea! Only problem is that it doesn't come in decaf....

I used to always buy those Lipton Cold brew bags but my supermarket doesn't carry it anymore. :(

:D Of course there's "tea syrup":

I get raves over this tea, learned from my Mother-in-Law almost 30 years ago:

Stircrazy's Sweet Tea Syrup Recipe

8 family sized tea bags

4 cups boiling water

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Steep tea bags in water, discard tea bags, add sugar to pitcher, and stir well.

Fill your glass with ice and water, add tea syrup to your personal taste and stir well.

also works well for hot tea...just fill your cup with hot water, and pour in tea syrup to taste.

:D Of course there's "tea syrup":

I get raves over this tea, learned from my Mother-in-Law almost 30 years ago:

Stircrazy's Sweet Tea Syrup Recipe

8 family sized tea bags

4 cups boiling water

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Steep tea bags in water, discard tea bags, add sugar to pitcher, and stir well.

Fill your glass with ice and water, add tea syrup to your personal taste and stir well.

also works well for hot tea...just fill your cup with hot water, and pour in tea syrup to taste.

Thank you. :) Is that extremely sweet? I like mine a bit sweet but not overwhelming.

Huge iced tea drinker! Straight up, no sugar or lemon. I like my tea strong and I have to say that our McDonald's has the best tea of any fast food in our town. I remember the tea on the Ecstasy being different, not that great but drinkable. On my upcoming cruise, I plan to bring cold brew tea because I drink it well into the night and dont wont to have to keep going for refills.

My MIL is from Georgia and she makes SWEET tea with a capitol S!! The sugar is boiled with the tea bags and then diluted with water. Wow it makes your hair stand on end!:eek:

Living in NC, sweet tea is almost a religion. Many people say "its too sweet" as they suck down their pepsi:rolleyes: I don't get that at all.

Making southern sweet tea is almost an art, and takes a bit of practice, a good tea maker can make good sweet tea from almost any brand of tea. I prefer luzianne.

I taught my niece in maine how to make sweet tea, she and her roommates are addicted to it, when she came to visit she said mine is still better. She did teach me one thing though, add some peach schnapps, wow is this goooooooood!

All cruises that I have been on seem to have this brown liquid, too brown, that they call tea. The only thing that I can compare it to is the lipton tea that comes out of a soda dispenser, you know the kind you find up north. I saw them refilling the tea dispenser on my last cruise and it was a syrup. I just made my tea with tea bags and sweetened and poured over ice.:)

MAC

Living in NC, sweet tea is almost a religion. Many people say "its too sweet" as they suck down their pepsi:rolleyes: I don't get that at all.

Making southern sweet tea is almost an art, and takes a bit of practice, a good tea maker can make good sweet tea from almost any brand of tea. I prefer luzianne.

I taught my niece in maine how to make sweet tea, she and her roommates are addicted to it, when she came to visit she said mine is still better. She did teach me one thing though, add some peach schnapps, wow is this goooooooood!

All cruises that I have been on seem to have this brown liquid, too brown, that they call tea. The only thing that I can compare it to is the lipton tea that comes out of a soda dispenser, you know the kind you find up north. I saw them refilling the tea dispenser on my last cruise and it was a syrup. I just made my tea with tea bags and sweetened and poured over ice.:)

MAC

Can it be made with the pourable Splenda or is that a no no for Sweet Tea?

Proper ratio for "sweetea" is 1 cup sugar to 2 quarts tea:eek: . As taught to me by the family elders. :D

Always sweeten when hot or you'll never get that much sugar to dissolve. I grew up on this but haven't made it in years - we always brewed it on the stovetop in a saucepan with 4 teabags, brought it to a boil and then let it sit (or "set" depending on how far south you are:p ) for 20 minutes - pour over the 1 cup sugar into the pitcher, stir, and top off with cold water to make the 2 quarts.

Yummy!!!

Argle bargle...I can feel my eyes glazing over from sugar coma just reading that recipe. That one cup of sugar is like a month's worth of sugar. :(

I drink a lot of tea, but I'd rather stick with water than have sweet tea.

the tes iant the greatest but if you add some water is itsnt bad...and keep in mind its free

----------------------------------

RCCL SOVERIGN OF THE SEAS 8/07

CARNIVAL FACINATION 9/07

CARNIVAL LEGEND 5/07

CARNIVAL ELATION 12/06

CARNIVAL FACINATION 8/06

CARNIVAL TRIUMPH 5/06

Can it be made with the pourable Splenda or is that a no no for Sweet Tea?

i don't think you would be shunned for using splenda, many who are diabetic use it, and it does taste more natural than equal or sweet and low.

but there is something about the viscosity of tea with real sugar, it just has the right mouth feel, (I seriously need help).

MAC

i don't think you would be shunned for using splenda, many who are diabetic use it, and it does taste more natural than equal or sweet and low.

but there is something about the viscosity of tea with real sugar, it just has the right mouth feel, (I seriously need help).

MAC

I try to stay away from refined sugar unless of course I'm having the chocolate melting cake......LOL!!!!!!!!!:D:p Then I just say "bring it on". :D

Argle bargle...I can feel my eyes glazing over from sugar coma just reading that recipe. That one cup of sugar is like a month's worth of sugar. :(

I drink a lot of tea, but I'd rather stick with water than have sweet tea.

If you drink regular soda, or juice drinks, they will have just as much sweetener, except it is just high fructose corn syrup instead, which is far worse for you than cane sugar. The trouble that most people have is that they can SEE how much sugar is going in, if some saw how much high fructose corn syrup goes into most drinks they wouldn't drink those either.

MAC

I try to stay away from refined sugar unless of course I'm having the chocolate melting cake......LOL!!!!!!!!!:D:p Then I just say "bring it on". :D

I think that chocolate neutralizes any bad effects of refined sugar!:D

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

MAC

Archived