Too Early for HC Cabins to Be Unavbl?

Travelitis

Oh I agree about the Dr. Note but that unfortunately will never happen because the lobby against it is just too great .

Why is there a lobby against it? What is the big deal? The doctor wouldnt have to disclose their particular disability in the letter. Just that they need the cabin.

I'm all for having to provide a dr.'s note. My son's doctor has provided us with an excellent letter to use in many different situations, though. Some docs are more cooperative that others in that respect.

I understand that for the purpose of safety in the event of having to evacuate the ship, they have to limit the number of modified cabins. I just wish there were more that were triples, because people with serious physical challenges often travel with more than one caregiver.

Well there are to many out there who see it differently and don't see why they should have to supply such a letter to book a room and the ADA seems to have the power to have pushed this legislation through...

You will get no arguement from me in this case since I personally believe that only the Dr. & his patient can judge if the disability is great enough to warrent this kind of cabin. The cruiselines cannot make that judgement. In fact if I am not mistaken it would even be ilegal for them to do so. But even then you will find Dr.s who will issue those notes for a "fee" but without nesessity. Even that will not be fail safe.

Dakwriter - I have to agree with Catnip here those HC cabins come with a lot more than just wider doors and ramps. I personally feel any person with a Physical disablitity who feels safer using certain things like grab bars or having the emergancy button or any of the other aids in those cabins is truely entitled to use those cabins if it makes their cruise easier for them.

My DH & I are completely new to cruising. So when we booked our Sept. '07 Carnival cruise and our TA told us the HC rooms were exactly the same as AB rooms except for the doors, we believed her. Thus, after reading on this board all the problems people have with getting HC rooms they truly need, I felt it best to leave such rooms for those who cannot handle step ups into the room or bath. Instead, I've requested a portable shower bench for our AB room. And I've been assured there will be enough space in the cabin to store my foldable wheelchair while we're in the room. Now I'm hoping that at least this information was true.

Dakwriter since this is your first cruise try it if it works for you fine! However if travelling in an AB cabin turns out to be a bigger challange than you antiscipate then consider an HC/PC cabin for your next cruise. Why not if your needs are legit you can get one.

Don't know if this have ever been discussed here but, I purchased 2 portable shower bars for when we are unable to get a HC cabin and they work great.

Easy to pack and easy to attach. So as long as we can get a shower bench/chair the only other problem, and it is a major ordeal, is when we can't get a shower stall and it is difficult getting my DH in and out of the tub.

Wheelchair folds up, so it is easy to get in and out of cabin, but usually just leave it outside the cabin.

Shower bars can be purchased from Dr. Leonards catalog. They have a couple different sizes.

I'd gladly book a regular cabin if we could get the scooter through the door, but I'm not going to limit my teenager to a wheelchair we have to push. However, with the safety considerations in the unlikely event of evacuating the ship, I think they want to limit the number of cabins catering to PC. At Disney they can have only so many PC on a ride at a time in case of evacuation. It's not unusual for us to have to wait specifically for mobility impaired guests to exit a ride. I'm thinking that applies to the cruiselines having so few HC cabins.

However, with the safety considerations in the unlikely event of evacuating the ship, I think they want to limit the number of cabins catering to PC. At Disney they can have only so many PC on a ride at a time in case of evacuation. It's not unusual for us to have to wait specifically for mobility impaired guests to exit a ride. I'm thinking that applies to the cruiselines having so few HC cabins.

Interesting possibility. Just yesterday when I asked my DH if there might be a problem getting me (in my WC) to the muster drill because the elevators would be shut down, his reply was that the cruise lines probably aren't too worried about saving PC passengers, anyway. Naturally, this didn't make me feel too valued and I know such an attitude can't be official policy for any cruise company. It does set me to wonder, though, why the cruiselines make so few accommodations for the PC. Because my DH & I are new to cruising and thus have no direct experience with staff attitudes, I'm going to be bold enough to ask if any experienced PC cruisers have met with indifference while on board? To put it bluntly, has anyone ever suspected we might be considered "throwaway" passengers?

I have to wonder, if the elevators may be shut down in a true emergency at sea, why aren't all HC cabins on the same deck level as the exits in the first place?:confused:

I have found just the opposite on RCCL. My mother is in either a wheelchair or a walker. The crew couldn't be more gracious and helpful. Especially in the dining room and Windjammer cafe.

For the muster drill, w/c passengers are allowed to use the elevator.

Archived