Too Early for HC Cabins to Be Unavbl?

Travelitis

We booked our 1/09 trip on the RCL Liberty of the Seas in June, 19 mos. in advance. I was told there was only 1 HC cabin avbl, and that was up on deck 10. I really wanted a lower deck, because my son's shots make him queezy, and he got sick on a cruise before the meds. We will get a script for him (probably fenergan), but isn't it a bit early for all the HC cabins to be unavailable? I'm thinking of requesting the TA contact RCL and make sure those cabins are truly unavailable and taken by people who need them. When I called Carnival to compare a cruise for the same week and got the same non-availability, that agent told me she was going to contact a certain office, because she suspected people had booked those cabins to get bigger staterooms, not because they really needed it or that they were simply blocked off to be assigned if really needed. I thought we'd booked so far in advance that we'd get some choice. I'd love to hear your experiences.

The agent told us deck 10, but we are all on deck 9. I think she might have overlooked those cabins initially, now that I think of it. We'd been on deck 7. I didn't realize it was going to be so difficult for us to cruise now that we have the scooter.

The agent told us deck 10, but we are all on deck 9. I think she might have overlooked those cabins initially, now that I think of it. We'd been on deck 7. I didn't realize it was going to be so difficult for us to cruise now that we have the scooter.

The agent told us deck 10, but we are all on deck 9. I think she might have overlooked those cabins initially, now that I think of it. We'd been on deck 7. I didn't realize it was going to be so difficult for us to cruise now that we have the scooter. I guess the other option would be to go to 2 OV on a lower deck (2 has this). We'd book an accessible for 2 and another for 3 but put all 3 kids in the accessible. If there's a couch, our youngest could sleep on that. We'd really like our privacy, plus the kids can't sleep through dh's snoring.

I not sure if this is the problem, but I find that if I want an assessable cabin (with balcony), I need to book the day the cruise opens. Also, not sure of the ship you are on but some ships only have a handful of cabins to start with. I booked a cruise in April of 2009. We needed a wheelchair assessable cabin which we got. I been told there is a waitlist for our cabin.

I also am assuming that the travel agent you are dealing with is contacting special services to book your room and not just looking at available inventory in her system.

I agree, ensure that your TA is contacting sp services. I need an accessible cabin for my scooter too. I have never booked the first day and have always gotten an H/C. I do book more then a year out all the time.

I agree, ensure that your TA is contacting sp services. I need an accessible cabin for my scooter too. I have never booked the first day and have always gotten an H/C. I do book more then a year out all the time. I would go with an inside for the kids and an OV for you and hubby. Sp svc can make sure that you are near each other (across the hall or connected).

It seems such a shame to me that the cruiselines do not make more of an effort to establish necessity when booking an accessible cabin. My DH has a deteriorating neuro muscular disease - life expectancy 3 to 5 years) and we have to book so far in advance. Right now we have a December cruise booked since last winter but are beginning to think it may have to be cancelled. Hopefully, if we need to cancel the stateroom will be given to someone who needs it!

to date we have been very lucky getting the HC cabin we need.

Not sure about other cruiselines but carnival has moved someone out of a 6B when we showed the need for that cabin- with drs notes and chair demensions.

I agree with the above posters-- call the special needs number and request what they have.

I find it hard to believe a cruise ship as big as the Freedom only has one HC cabin.

At the moment these cabins need to be booked through the special needs dept. at RCCL. Do bear in mind that the Freedom is still a new ship and greatly in demand. The dates in question may have been part of the original group of dates to open so they were really in high demand. Similar thing for the Soltice for 2008 / 2009 I'll bet you will find it very hard to get HC cabins there early 2008. Bearing in mind these cruises have been on sale since well before the vessels launch.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone know how far in advance HC cabins might be assigned randomly? I just read a post in CC about an AB couple with a cabin category guarantee who were then assigned an HC cabin by the cruiseline. It seems to me that HC cabins should be the very LAST ones assigned, which in this case the cabin may well have been.

Here is the Carnival Glory post quote from krdougan: "We booked our cruise as an unassigned interior room and our travel agent linked it to our friends who booked an unassigned balcony room. They got a room on the Lido deck and since we were linked to them we did too. We were not thrilled with the size of our room as it was very small. Our interior room the year before on the Conquest was much bigger. But, we got a handicapped room and the bathroom was really big and nice."

I've always assumed from the posts I've read on this forum that HC cabins are really hard to come by on all ships. I haven't tried booking one myself because even though I must use a wheelchair for distance I feel the HC cabins should be reserved for those who cannot walk at all. I do know, of course, that the number of HC cabins varies a lot from ship to ship. Is there any ADA guideline for percentage of HC cabins required or recommended?

We would prefer to see those cabins open up after final payment and 4 weeks prior to sailing however lots of ships actually sell out completey even before this date so even if final payment is not reached yet all cabins may still be sold out and AB assigned to HC cabins.

Hey cruiselines have stockholders to answer to and if a ship is full it is full end of story. The bottom line is to get a cabins for PC means booking early now matter what.

The ADA would love to be able to nail the cruiseline down but since they are not registered in the US they are given a certain bit of leeway.

I do see a problem with ABs getting those cabins again....... Since the letter requiring a HC cabin does not need to be signed by a dr. and each passenger can fill out their own I do see AB doing that in the future again. Family cabins are being hijack aswell because in the US one does not pay cancellation fees until final payment -so folks are booking these cabins with bogus names to fillfil the 5 pax rule and then just before final is due cancel the bogus names and keep the bigger cabin for 2.... The problem is the some res agents are actually suggesting this. This sort of thing makes me realy mad!!

I guess I wanted to add that the reason we have to book the first day that a cruise opens is because we normally do repo cruises which are only offered once or twice a year. These cruises tend to fill up quickly. Also, we normally book with other friends so we have no option of moving to another week.

Deb

I recently booked an AB ( able-bodied) cabin on the RSSC Navigator..I was told that the HC cabins were not available ( they only have 4 )..

I called back to see if I can change my cabin to a mid ship location and I again asked for a HC cabin .. I was offered 2 of the 4..

So, why was I told the they were sold out originally?

Sometimes the agents just don't check properly.

BTW, we do have to fill out a disablility form signed by our Dr. for which I am pleased to do for RSSC.

Forgive me if I sound frustrated, and I sure don't mean to whine. I've never had to book an HC cabin before, but as an AB, I have flatly refused to let a TA book HC for me to get more space. One actually suggested it, but I told him that we have an HC child, and I'd never book one of those unless we needed it.

We booked the Liberty 19 mos. out and were told there was only 1 HC cabin we could get. Well, I wanted only 1, but there are several, so that seemed fast for them to be sold out. I found out that our cabin selection is limited further by wanting the HC to be a triple, and there are very few of those. Our oldest child is disabled from severe arthritis, and he could go from being able to walk and ice skate to being in the infirmary and unable to stand very quickly. Even if he's in good condition at the start of the cruise, we cannot risk leaving the scooter at home. He'll need it regardless, because he can't overdo it. I just wonder why so few of the HC cabins accomodate more than 2 passengers.

Our TA is checking Carnival and found a military discount, which normally extends to dependents, but get this. She said that one cabin with my husband and 2 kids would get the rate, but our 2nd cabin, with me and a child booked in it would not. Maybe it's just too far in advance to get that military rate. So we have to book a yr. and a half in advance to get the cabin and wait to see if we get the mil rate, even though my dh is active duty and will probably be the first one to book that cruise. Active duty can't usually plan quite that far in advance, much less afford the $5k pricetag RCI wants.

My kids want to go on a cruise so badly, but no wonder we go to Disney instead. They are definitely HC friendly.

even though I must use a wheelchair for distance I feel the HC cabins should be reserved for those who cannot walk at all.

With all due respect, I don't feel that way at all. My mother has problems with the muscles in her legs. Part of the day, she can get around (slowly) with a walker. But, after being up all day, in the evenings, I have to wheel her in her wheelchair. Last year we had a HC cabin on Brilliance and it had plenty of room for a walker and a wheelchair.

We booked the same cabin for next spring while we were on board (12 months in advance). We were lucky to get it, as RCCL sure does not have many HC cabins! They need to desginate more HC cabins on each ship!

Dakwriter - I have to agree with Catnip here those HC cabins come with a lot more than just wider doors and ramps. I personally feel any person with a Physical disablitity who feels safer using certain things like grab bars or having the emergancy button or any of the other aids in those cabins is truely entitled to use those cabins if it makes their cruise easier for them.

I personally feel any person with a Physical disablitity who feels safer using certain things like grab bars or having the emergancy button or any of the other aids in those cabins is truely entitled to use those cabins if it makes their cruise easier for them.

That's right. If not for those grab bars in the shower, my mother would not be able to take a shower! :eek: She has balance problems, too, and has to hold on when in the shower.

Dakwriter - I have to agree with Catnip here those HC cabins come with a lot more than just wider doors and ramps. I personally feel any person with a Physical disablitity who feels safer using certain things like grab bars or having the emergancy button or any of the other aids in those cabins is truely entitled to use those cabins if it makes their cruise easier for them.

Yes but what about the wife who 'feels' her husband has a physical disability because he is 6'5''. There are people like that out there. :mad:

I am one of those people who believes a doctor's letter should be required to book HC cabins.

Oh I agree about the Dr. Note but that unfortunately will never happen because the lobby against it is just too great .

The woman with the husband just under 2 meters is certainly being a bit rediculous but there are always going to the one or other abuser. There will never be a 100% fail safe system

I am one of those people who believes a doctor's letter should be required to book HC cabins.

I think that's perfectly reasonable, too. Those with true handicapp's will be able to provide a Dr's note.

Archived