Water?

Okay, I'm new to cruising & I have what might be a really stupid question. I've read about all the included drinks (tea, lemonade, juice) & the soda card. What about plain water? I know you have to buy bottled water, but do they serve water in glasses with meals? Can I get a glass of water around the ship? Should I bring my own to carry around?

You can get a glass of water on the ship at no charge... you can drink the water in your room...

however, we always take on our own bottled water for the sake of convenience and price ... I think the bottled water they sell is like $3 a bottle or something ridiculous like that...

so we take on a case of water, keep it in our fridge, and then we have it to take on deck or out and about in port...

Okay, I'm new to cruising & I have what might be a really stupid question. I've read about all the included drinks (tea, lemonade, juice) & the soda card. What about plain water? I know you have to buy bottled water, but do they serve water in glasses with meals? Can I get a glass of water around the ship? Should I bring my own to carry around?

Yes you get water with meals, in both dining room and windjammer, it is also available at the bars and the Cafe Promenade on the Voyager and Freedom class ships

minor detail:

When I stopped drinking beverages with sugar, I developed a habit of drinking water with a touch of lemon juice. Above packedandready mentioned lemons. Are they available through the boat where water is served?

Thanks

Just ask for a slice with your water--no big deal! (All the bars have lemon, lime, etc..., too!)

Tap water is fine for drinking--you'll have ice delivered twice a day, so plop some in a glass and drink away!

I agree you can get water on the ship for free but I would advise you to buy bottled water for shore excursions. Sometimesthe ship gives you bottled water just as you leave. Take it with you. You DO NOT want to drink water unless it it is bottledoff the ship, Even some people are bothered by ice at resorts on Caribbean islands. Do not believe them when they tell you it is treated. I am in the commercial water business and that water can make you very sick.

Ken

I agree you can get water on the ship for free but I would advise you to buy bottled water for shore excursions. Sometimesthe ship gives you bottled water just as you leave. Take it with you. You DO NOT want to drink water unless it it is bottled off the ship, Even some people are bothered by ice at resorts on Caribbean islands. Do not believe them when they tell you it is treated. I am in the commercial water business and that water can make you very sick.

Ken

I agree you can get water on the ship for free but I would advise you to buy bottled water for shore excursions. Sometimesthe ship gives you bottled water just as you leave. Take it with you. You DO NOT want to drink water unless it it is bottled off the ship, Even some people are bothered by ice at resorts on Caribbean islands. Do not believe them when they tell you it is treated. I am in the commercial water business and that water can make you very sick.

Ken

I have never been GIVEN a bottle of water as I leave the ship... there was always a charge...

One of the most difficult communications I experienced in South America once was how to tell the waiter "no ice" using sign language since I did not speak their language. He bought back different glasses, also different drinks, but they all had ice. Thanks for reminding me. I will learn how to say "no ice" in the local languages before I leave on the South American cruise.

Incidentally some folks, including me, will not eat salads there because lettuce can be washed with the "bad" water. Cooked, hot food only kept me from getting sick on my many business trips to the Caribbean. I ate at many local dives with local business partners and never got sick because I stuck with freshly cooked food.

And the bottle that they sell you is *VERY* expensive (I think it is like $2.50 for a 0.5L small bottle and $6.50 for a 1L large bottle). I can get a six-pack of the 24 oz sport bottles at a convenience store or drug store near the pier for less than the $6.50.

I've found that one six pack of the sport bottles works very well for the whole week. After I drink them, I can refill them from the ship and take with me in port. If you fill them with the ice cubes all the way and then add water, it will stay cool even until mid-afternoon.

We just sailed on Splendour last month. I, too, like a bit of lemon with my water. In fact, ordinarily I HATE drinking water, so I use lemon to make it palatable.

My trick/secret was to go to the iced tea station by the pool, get ice, a lemon and then go into the Windjammer to the water station, or to find a drinking fountain (on Splendour, there was one near the pool, which I found on the second or third day).

So, yes, with a bit of footwork, which also let me cool off a bit on sea days when we spent almost all day around the pool, you can EASILY get lemon...

Linda

I'm pretty sure, but I might be thinking of our Carnival cruise too.

I hope there is!

I was thinking that's where I might have had it. couldn't remember--getting my cruise confused.:eek: Thanks

You can get a glass of water on the ship at no charge... you can drink the water in your room...

however, we always take on our own bottled water for the sake of convenience and price ... I think the bottled water they sell is like $3 a bottle or something ridiculous like that...

so we take on a case of water, keep it in our fridge, and then we have it to take on deck or out and about in port...

Thanks for the info. I forgot about bringing the water for Port. I'll pack some for the fridge & for the ports.

You should know that the most powerful and efficient water purifyers in the world are on the RCI ships. Your $3 bottled water and your "smuggled" water isn't as pure as what you get from the faucet on board.

You want to save money??? Bring on the empty bottles and fill them when you get on board - - maybe even add a little lemon. ;)

Hope This Helps.

Just be careful with refilling bottles, as the germs stay on them. Even with a dishwasher (not on the ship, but at home, of course), you can only really clean bottles with wide mouths, as bottles with skinny mouths (such as bottled water bottles) doesn't let the dishwasher water and soap and such in completely.

So, if you wish to refill your bottles, purchase a wide-mouth reusable, washable bottle. If you like your water cold, get an insulated one.

Question: Are all the bottled waters sold on the ship cold (refrigerated)? Or can you find ones that are at room temperature?

I can't drink very cold (refrigerated) water, so I might have to bring my own for the first day and a half and then purchase the other bottles in advance so I can let them warm up in my cabin for the next day. (There is no way I could take on enough bottles for a six-night cruise, as I drink several bottles a day! [i don't drink soda {I can and used to drink several a day but chose to stop and it has been a good thing}, but sometimes a juice and occassionally chocolate milk or hot cocoa. Otherwise, it is water, water, water.] No way am I going to refill the bottles or drink the ship's tap water, either.)

Question: Are all the bottled waters sold on the ship cold (refrigerated)? Or can you find ones that are at room temperature?

I can't drink very cold (refrigerated) water, so I might have to bring my own for the first day and a half and then purchase the other bottles in advance so I can let them warm up in my cabin for the next day. (There is no way I could take on enough bottles for a six-night cruise, as I drink several bottles a day! [i don't drink soda {I can and used to drink several a day but chose to stop and it has been a good thing}, but sometimes a juice and occassionally chocolate milk or hot cocoa. Otherwise, it is water, water, water.] No way am I going to refill the bottles or drink the ship's tap water, either.)

I used to bring my Britta along and fill my bottles from that instead of the tap. Now I just drink from the tap -- the water is good. I also drink my water at room temperature and often the refrigerator is not much cooler. LOL.

Archived