First thing on board

scalde

I wouldn't say beware of...more like look forward to. We did our first trip two wks ago...we got ship, ate some lunch and sat by the bar by the pool...sad that it was raining but it did't stop anything, the music was good and loud and everyone was in a very good mood about the trip.

You do get on the ship early and your room may not be ready yet, but you just look around and take it all in. Before the ship leaves yu do have to attend the muster drill....no biggie...when they make the announcement you walk to your cabing (no elevators) get your life jacket and report to you area. listen to the safety drill, return to you room (by stairs) put up your life jacket and get in the vacation mode!

Late the first night I did take a break and unpacked our clothes and got our room and in order!

If and when you take your first trip you will be hooked. It was the most relaxing trip I have ever had. We took our twin boys age 12 and they loved it also.

Good luck and I hope this helps...:)

On the first day, you'll want to get unpacked and all settled in. It's fun to expore the ship the first day to see where everything is located. You'll also have the life boat drill to attend. Each day you'll receive a program about activities and the one you receive on the first day usually has lots of useful information so I would encourage you to read it. It is fun to go on the open deck when the ship begins its sailaway from port.

Embarkation day is always exciting, and sometimes a little stressful, but do start to enjoy the cruise from the get go.

Keith

We try to board early; at least by noon. First off we head to the Lido. Then if its a ship we have not been on we do a quick tour. We usually go to our cabin before the announced time. Generally its ready. We see what table we have been assigned and go to the Dining Room to stake it. If we want to change dining times we head to his post. Somewhere in all this we have to attend the Muster Drill. Once our bags arrive we unpack and get our cabin setup. My DW often brings balloons to adorn and mark our door.

Lots to do on the first day.

Hello,

For those who are on their first cruise it is all but mandatory that you climb (by any means..stairs, elevators) to the highest point accessible to passengers at the front of the ship, and you watch the ship head out to sea. You stand in the wind as the ship heads out into the open sea, and then you will begin to understand why so many of us become addicted to cruising. It may be at night but you will still hear music from the sailaway band, or the ship may be headed due west, toward the setting sun.

The point here...enjoy the aesthetics of cruising as soon as you can.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

First we are sure to pack our swimsuits in our carry-on bags. Once onboard, we drop off the bags at our room and venture out to see the ship. Then we go upstairs, grab a fruity drink, and enjoy the pool area for sailaway. Either that, or we stay on our balcony and enjoy from there.

When we boarded the Radiance on 6/29/2007 we headed straight to our staterooms and dropped off our carry-on luggage. Then straight to Windjammer for some lunch. After that we broke up ... some went to the spa to make appointments, others went to the excursion desk, and some others went to make specialty dining reservations.

WE always board before noon, we purchase our drink cards, make all of our reservations for all rest., spa, and shore excursions if you already have not done so. I would recommend that you book all excursions you want before you board as they fill up so quick.

Check out our dinnig room table, have a fruity drink, and wait for our cabin to be ready. We always unpack the first day and we are off to lay around the pool and grab a bite to eat.

We try to board early; at least by noon. First off we head to the Lido. Then if its a ship we have not been on we do a quick tour. We usually go to our cabin before the announced time. Generally its ready. We see what table we have been assigned and go to the Dining Room to stake it. If we want to change dining times we head to his post. Somewhere in all this we have to attend the Muster Drill. Once our bags arrive we unpack and get our cabin setup.

Lots to do on the first day.

This pretty much sums it up for us , too, but they left out the EAT part.. It should read, "head to the Lido and eat. Then all of the other stuff. I am sure this was merely an oversite.;)

We went to the buffet. First thing we realized after we signed was that the drinks the waiters had on their trays we were charged extra for. We thought that was the case, but we were just so excited. We didn't think much. We are glad we bought those drinks because they are souvenirs that we'll cherish forever. We cruised for our 25th anniversary.

For someone who is looking so much forward to her first cruise- my first vacation with my wonderful hubby- your explanation about watching the ship head out to sea is marvelous! Oh man am I excited!

Hello,

For those who are on their first cruise it is all but mandatory that you climb (by any means..stairs, elevators) to the highest point accessible to passengers at the front of the ship, and you watch the ship head out to sea. You stand in the wind as the ship heads out into the open sea, and then you will begin to understand why so many of us become addicted to cruising. It may be at night but you will still hear music from the sailaway band, or the ship may be headed due west, toward the setting sun.

The point here...enjoy the aesthetics of cruising as soon as you can.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

1. Check out our cabin

2. Book a port day special in the spa

3. Book a dinner at a specialty restaurant

4. Attend muster drill

5. Go to pool deck and partake in the sailaway with a cocktail/toast!

6. Explore the rest of the ship, before returning to the cabin to prepare for dinner

After eating and dumping carryons, head out to explore the ship. Check out the areas that you might not even be interested in using. There are often giveaways associated with visiting the various areas of the ship. Sign up for your specialty dinners, spa choices, etc. Find your dining room and table.

One thing that is sort of interesting after you have done all of the above or if you are a seasoned cruiser, is to sit with a drink on your balcony and just watch them load everything onto the ship. Its quite a coordinated affair, as there is lots to load in a very short period of time.

You do have to use the stairs to get to muster drill if you wait until they actually give the signal to muster. A way around this is to get your gear a bit ahead of time and just take it to the general area you will muster. Then you can get by with using the elevators (they close off about 10 minutes before muster) If you are patient and don't mind the wait, you can also wait to use the elevators after muster.

Be sure to go to sailaway on one of the very upper decks. Its a great experience.

From the time you enter the ship, cruising is almost a magical experience. Enjoy the pampering.

First, we go see if our room is ready. If it's not, we take some time to explore the ship and people watch. Once that is done, we slip into our swimsuits (which we have in our carry-on), get a nice icy sweet drink and prepare to enjoy our sailaway.

However, later in the day, here's something I love: Watching other ships which are pulling out at about the same time we are. This gets especially enchanting at night -- usually off in the far distance you can see the bright lights of another cruise ship on that first night. For some reason, it's magical to me. Bring binoculars!

You do have to use the stairs to get to muster drill if you wait until they actually give the signal to muster. A way around this is to get your gear a bit ahead of time and just take it to the general area you will muster. Then you can get by with using the elevators (they close off about 10 minutes before muster) If you are patient and don't mind the wait, you can also wait to use the elevators after muster.

Are the elevators turned off during muster or do they simply station ship's crew next to them to prevent people from entering? I'm presuming there must be a way for those of us in wheelchairs to get to the muster deck.

Are the elevators turned off during muster or do they simply station ship's crew next to them to prevent people from entering? I'm presuming there must be a way for those of us in wheelchairs to get to the muster deck.

Ask any crew or staff once you get on board. In my experience, they are extremely helpful. They'll probably make special arrangements to meet you and get you where you need to be.

Have fun!

hey everyone just wondering what everyone does on there first day on board the ship. anything that i should be aware of

1) Put the carry-on in the cabin.

2) Tour the ship and take pictures.

3) Have lunch.

1. Unpacked everything so the last of "work" was already done.:cool:

2. Eat:D

3. Troll the ship :)

4. Muster Drill:rolleyes:

5. Uptop for sailaway with drink in hand:D

NOW your on vacation with your work done, full belly, mandatory assignment completed and the rest is what you make it.:p ahhhh

Archived