Permanent makeup

robthens

I'm sure you have already made your decision by now but there seems to be such a negative response to this question, I wanted to add my positive experience.

I have had my eyebrows done and tightlining done but I remember 10 years ago saying I would NEVER get it done after seeing how many women had botched eyebrows. Most of them looked like they had two leeches on their faces.

First time I got my eyebrows done I had gotten a recommendation from someone who had hers done and it looked SOO good that I didn't believe her. I literally asked to touch her eyebrows to see that it was indeed fake. Well, that time it faded within 8 months which I was upset with because I paid so much for it.

Second time was last summer I went back to Korea for a visit with friends and family. My friend had hers done (which I didn't even realize but even after swimming her eyeliner and brows were perfect so I asked her what cosmetic brand she was using and she told me it wasn't makeup).

Anyhoo....I ended up getting my brows and liner done by the same lady who did hers for the fraction of the cost I paid for the lady in Ohio where I used to live. My brows which is almost non existent (as a lot of typical Asian women) is just enough that it looks natural. Otherwise I had to draw them in all the time and when it gets hot and I sweat (and I sweat A LOT) sometimes I would accidentally wipe them off...no lie.

My eyeliner is a tightlining technique. It's just to fill in the pink parts in between your lashes so it just looks thicker. I still have to wear an eyeliner.

As for the pain factor, of course it hurts despite the numbing cream on the areas you are getting it done. But honestly, it's not like its something I can't handle...heck I gave birth to 5 kids didn't I?? :D

I'm sure you have already made your decision by now but there seems to be such a negative response to this question, I wanted to add my positive experience.

...heck I gave birth to 5 kids didn't I?? :D

I found a lady whose work I really liked and felt good about, then had an allergy test done. (Actually, I had 3 tests done because of the strange results) It looks like permanent makeup is not possible for me.

After the lady showed me how she wanted to do my makeup, even my DH thought it was amazing. I am so disappointed that I can't have it done. :(

Are those children yours? :eek: They look so close in age (although all adorable).

I'm sorry to hear about your allergies :o

The boys are quadruplets so they are 3 mins apart from the "youngest" to "oldest"!

You must have had quite a life raising quads. Your DD does not look much older than the boys, but even a pair of tiny hands was probably a big help at times.

Did you have family helping you or did the community provide "shifts" to help? A friend of mine used to help mothers with multiple births, and most were just amazing, but one never lifted a finger and let the volunteers do all the work. She would go to a different room and smoke. :mad:

How old are the children now?

The lady who does the permanent makeup told me that she had never seen an allergic reaction before, except for one lawyer who was allergic to the Polysporin. She went directly from the makeup clinic to the courtroom and her eyes were all swollen and teary. :eek:

Did I mention that I am sooooooo disappointed?

We have been having a discussion on another thread about permanent makeup because our local newspaper had an online auction and one of the items up for bid was a $360.00 eyebrown or eyeliner package. I bid up to $256.00, the reserve price was 60% of the total, but it went above that and I forgot to bid again before the time was up. I have non existant eyebrows also, very blonde. I exercise and sweat and have to be very careful about wiping off my forehead to not remove my penciled in eyebrows. We also swim year round in an indoor pool and no matter how hard you try, if you really swim the eyebrows are gone. I have a friend that had eyeliner done years ago and said she has always been very happy with it and would certainly do it again if needed. I do not know anyone that had eyebrows done, and I think they may be a little more tricky, getting them to look natural. I am still thinking of having it done, and may have to pay full price but if it lasts 20 years and I'm an old lady in a nursing home with hands too shakey to apply makeup, I'll still look good! Sharon

We have been having a discussion on another thread about permanent makeup because our local newspaper had an online auction and one of the items up for bid was a $360.00 eyebrown or eyeliner package. I bid up to $256.00, the reserve price was 60% of the total, but it went above that and I forgot to bid again before the time was up.

That would be a great price if you knew that the person did excellent work. I have seen some wonderful permanent eyebrows (and eyeliner) and some really awful ones.

The lady at the clinic where I would have had mine done does the makeup very conservatively and quite light the first time. After a month she will make it darker, if you wish, or adjust it with no charge. At one year she charges only $50 for any adjustments. This place really stands by their work. Even though it is part of a plastic surgery clinic, the cost is more reasonable than any of the spas around here that do it.

I too would love to be the little old lady in the nursing home with the perfect makeup. :(

I know someone who had her eyes done and it looks terrific even though she's over 60. That being said, I'd never do it for a couple of reasons. First is pain. I don't do well with pain. ;) Second is the allergy factor. For me it wouldn't be with the eyes but could be an issue with the lips. I'm highly allergic to red dye but wasn't aware that was the problem for years. It's a very common allergy and red dye is found in almost all red, pink and plum coloured make-up. Could you imagine what I'd look like if they used a dye with red in it? :eek:

I think that a lot of people use Latisse on their eyebrows -- I have used it successfully to fill in sparse spots (I do have dark hair). It isn't FDA approved for that use yet (initial tests were only on upper eyelids to grow lashes), but I think that it will be.

I'm 43 now, and my eyebrows are still pretty full and dark,

I would consider doing them when I'm over 55/60, and my eyebrows are becoming more thin, so after hairloss, and have them filled up in a neutral color.

I'm in your quoted age range and my eyebrows are still pretty full (they would be fuller had I not overplucked them when I was young and foolish). But one has gone white while the other is still mostly dark. So I have them dyed when I get my hair cut. It lasts about as long as the cut and I just touch them up a bit in between.

I've thought about some tattooing to fill in a blank spot where I had an injury (can't remember what it was) and to make my brows a little longer. But then I remember how much I hate needles and fear trumps vanity.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I had my upper eyelids done a few years ago but a highly recommended person. I regret doing it. I mean it looks natural but it definitely has started to fade and has the hints of navy blue showing. I still wear eyeliner over it and on my lower lashline so I feel it defeated the point lol. As far as the pain, it didn't hurt however I was extremely uncomfortable for 2 days after it was dine. I could barely see out of my eyes and thought I was going blind. For 1 day 1 of my eyes was extremely dilated as well.