do they drive the ship from the navigation deck?

WONDEROACH

I just got my room number and checked it out it is the navigation deck and I am the first cabin up front 8003 do I need to complain and get moved will it be rocky, can I get out the front for a deck what do you guys think.....

I assume it's a Vista ship seeing you listed 8th deck, but which one?

The bridge is on the Navigation deck and you can't get out on the bow at that level. It's actually much lower. You can get to the front of the ship from several decks. Check HAL's website for the deck plans and plan your routing forward.

GN

I just got my room number and checked it out it is the navigation deck and I am the first cabin up front 8003 do I need to complain and get moved will it be rocky, can I get out the front for a deck what do you guys think.....
We had 8010 on the Baltic, and on one night (of 10) we had enough vertical motion that I had to down and aft for a couple of hours. OTOH, my DW wasn't bothered enough to go with me.

GN is correct that you can't get "out front" on the Navigation deck, and IIRC you can't get "out front" on any of the three decks below you while the ship is underway either (except for slow-cruising, like in Galcier Bay for example). So your nearest outside deck will be up one, on the Lido deck, out in front of the gym windows.

Since you say "I just got my room number and checked it out" I assume it was a guarantee. If that's true then you can't "complain and get moved". That's the chance you take with a guarantee - you get what they give you. But you may be able to buy something different.

I assume it's a Vista ship seeing you listed 8th deck, but which one?
What's the difference? They're all the same up there! :D

thanks ya'll, you are right, we are on a family cruise that my dad is paying for and for some reason he did the garantee thing for me and one other room and today i found out everyone else, there's 16 of us are on the 4th floor.... so I guess I am stuck.... so do they really drive the boat from that floor? am I really next to the captains when I look at the deck plan there are empty rooms and then it looks like I can get out the front too....

The Bridge is on Navigation Deck as is the Captain's Cabin. You will not be able to go to those locations. They are behind crew only doors that are secured for obvious reasons. :) I notice you said "Captains' in your post. Assuming that is not a typo, I just want to mention the ship only has one Captain. He most assuredly has help on the Bridge and there are Navigation Officers so that he is not on the Bridge 24/7 but as the saying goes........ the buck stops at him!

Hope your family has a wonderful time. Makes lots of great memories.

No need to move.

I was once in a suite just below the bridge, with one balcony facing the front and one facing the side. Yes, you do feel more movements in the bow as compared to mid-ship, but this is only a problem when the sea is rough.

From the front balcony of my suite, I could get a glimpse of the bridge. When I was lying there sunbathing in my bikini, every 5 minutes I saw a crew member looking out at me from the bridge window and I would give them a wave!:D

when I look at the deck plan there are empty rooms and then it looks like I can get out the front too....
In general, when you see "white space" that is not labelled (identified) and does not have little "chair" symbols, it is usually "crew only" access.

The Bridge is on Navigation Deck as is the Captain's Cabin. You will not be able to go to those locations. They are behind crew only doors that are secured for obvious reasons. :) I notice you said "Captains' in your post. Assuming that is not a typo, I just want to mention the ship only has one Captain. He most assuredly has help on the Bridge and there are Navigation Officers so that he is not on the Bridge 24/7 but as the saying goes........ the buck stops at him!

Hope your family has a wonderful time. Makes lots of great memories.

Actually Sail, and I'm only surmising here, but I was under the impression that every cruise ship sails with two Captains. Certainly there is only one Master of the Ship, but in the event that the Ship's Master is for one reason or another unable to fulfill his duties then the "back-up" Captain takes over.

As I said, I'm only surmising and could be totally wrong - gee that would be a first for me wouldn't it;) .

Valerie:D

so do they really drive the boat from that floor? am I really next to the captains when I look at the deck plan there are empty rooms and then it looks like I can get out the front too....

First off: A Car is "Driven" whereas a Ship is "Sailed" or "Piloted".

Secondly: it's not a "Floor" like your house or a hotel, it's a "Deck" (which is why it's called a "Deck Plan", and not a "Floor Plan"). Yes, the Bridge is at the forward end of Navigation Deck and that's where the Captain (singular) and his staff pilot the ship. No, you may not enter the Bridge without permission (and don't even ask, for if you do you'll never be invited...)

Also, your stateroom 8004 is on the Port side of the ship - the Captain's Stateroom is on the Starboard side of the ship. The other staterooms in that area are for other senior ship's officers, such as the Staff Captain (also known as the XO - he's the second in command aboard ship) the Quartermaster and Chief Engineer.

When you embark on your cruise, I suggest you check out a particular book in the gift shop called "Cruise Q's". It's written by the wife of a ship's captain and I think you'll find it very informative...

Actually Sail, and I'm only surmising here, but I was under the impression that every cruise ship sails with two Captains. Certainly there is only one Master of the Ship, but in the event that the Ship's Master is for one reason or another unable to fulfill his duties then the "back-up" Captain takes over.

As I said, I'm only surmising and could be totally wrong - gee that would be a first for me wouldn't it;) .

Valerie........

I think you are correct there is another qualified Navigator with appropriate licenses but......

He may be A Captain but he would not be THE Captain.

We have actually sailed when a Captain new to HAL was visiting and observing aboard a ship. The Master of the Ship, of course, was in uniform and was The Captain. The visiting Captain with all appropriate licenses and credentials was only A Captain and was not ever in uniform. On formal night, he came to the dining room in tuxedo...very beautifully tailored I might add. ;)

In the event of illness or accident to the Captain, I am sure Chief Officer (on HAL ships) is capable and permitted to take command.

I am not totally informed in this regard but am quite sure there is only one in command Captain on an HAL ship.

Secondly: it's not a "Floor" like your house or a hotel, it's a "Deck" (which is why it's called a "Deck Plan", and not a "Floor Plan").
Well, at least she called it a deck in the thread title! :)

There is only one captain or master of the ship on board. He is on call and responsible for the ship 24 hours a day. Serving below him is the Chief Officer and then a whole line of officers on down to cadets. There is an officer of the deck at all times who is in charge of navigating the ship during his watch. If a problem arise's he will be in touch with the Captain (Master). I have never seen a Captain become incapcitated to the point that he could not make a decision. If that happened I feel very comfortable with the Chief Officer taking over untill a replacement Captain could be boarded.

I have never seen a Captain become incapcitated to the point that he could not make a decision. If that happened I feel very comfortable with the Chief Officer taking over untill a replacement Captain could be boarded.

...at least not on HAL.

RCCL had a Captain die during a cruise a year or two back, and X had one arrested for drunkeness...

I have never seen a Captain become incapcitated to the point that he could not make a decision.

I know very well about the ship hierarchy since my late husband was a Maritime Academy graduate, sailing for a couple of years with the Merchant Marine until "forced" to join the U.S. Navy (way back in the days when we had The Draft and the U.S. Navy looked much better to him than the U.S. Army did;) ). He then went on to serve his country for 29 years in the U.S. Navy and did indeed eventually become Captain of a ship, albeit briefly before he retired his commission.

As far as a Captain "becoming incapacitated to the point", etc.: As Brian pointed out RCCL had a Captain die a couple of years ago, and X had one arrested for drunkeness recently. Also, I seem to remember that the venerable Cunard Line also had a beloved Captain die (at the helm, so to speak) of a heart attack. Hey, Ship happens: no matter which cruiseline and they need to be prepared.

By the way Sail: believe me, there is a difference between the Ship's Chief Officer and the Ship's Navigator;) .

Valerie:)

Archived